jason pierce + yoko ono

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

JL
Known user

jason pierce + yoko ono

Post by JL »

i don't know if this old news or not, but jason pierce is working with yoko on a remake of "walking on thin ice" for her forthcoming record. release is feb 2007.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/n ... l_Yoko_Ono
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

d'you think he'll just get her to count from 1 to 100?
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

and i quote " a compilation of dance remixes of Ono songs." :shock:
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

No! No! She'll break up the ba...

...oh, hang on...
. . . heligoland . . .
29.11.07 mécanique ondulatoire, paris // 16.01.08 divan du monde, paris
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

brilliant ... i hope it's a remix, they're the best thing jason does at the moment, i think.

cat power, too.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

anorthernsoul wrote:brilliant ... i hope it's a remix, they're the best thing jason does at the moment, i think.

cat power, too.
that editors remix was terrible, pretty but pointless
G*
Known user

Post by G* »

A remake of 'Two Virgins' would be....interesting.
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

I had a band for a couple of months where we only did Yoko covers.. silly, but lots of fun.
Horrorflick
Known user

Post by Horrorflick »

"number nine, number nine..."
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

bunnyben wrote:
anorthernsoul wrote:brilliant ... i hope it's a remix, they're the best thing jason does at the moment, i think.

cat power, too.
With you on that one Ben, so ironic the timing of PK's masterpiece from slightly better source material, the magnificent Benny's Trip, which has sold out on 12" and they don't know if 4AD are going to release the same edition again, hopefully the track will come out in some lossless form in it's full 17 minutes of splendour :!:

J's Editors mix sounded ok but was so predictable - reminded me of the Spectrum stuff I sometimes skip when playing their CDs and am in a particularly shallow mood. Wish he'd try remixing more appropriate material - a friend asked John Coxon if Jason would consider either producing or remixing a single for his band (which have heavy SM3 and Spz influances) but got a pretty blunt not likely!. I've been a bit suspicious about Editors since learning that chirpy scottish lass from R1 lives with one of them, as they sound pretty average to me, considering how much PR they get :?
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

mojo filters wrote:
bunnyben wrote:

cat power, too.
With you on that one Ben, so ironic the timing of PK's masterpiece from slightly better source material, the magnificent Benny's Trip, which has sold out on 12" and they don't know if 4AD are going to release the same edition again, hopefully the track will come out in some lossless form in it's full 17 minutes of splendour :!:

J's Editors mix sounded ok but was so predictable - reminded me of the Spectrum stuff I sometimes skip when playing their CDs and am in a particularly shallow mood. Wish he'd try remixing more appropriate material - a friend asked John Coxon if Jason would consider either producing or remixing a single for his band (which have heavy SM3 and Spz influances) but got a pretty blunt not likely!. I've been a bit suspicious about Editors since learning that chirpy scottish lass from R1 lives with one of them, as they sound pretty average to me, considering how much PR they get :?
editors... they're average. i listen to interpol or the editors and think "this is third rate joy division". yet most the peole i know my age don't know who joy division are (if you can believe that) or refuse to listen to "old" music. to be honest i think they were 'famous' before the singer hooked up with edith (im not a man, honest) bowman
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

bunnyben wrote:
mojo filters wrote:
bunnyben wrote:

cat power, too.

editors... they're average. i listen to interpol or the editors and think "this is third rate joy division". yet most the peole i know my age don't know who joy division are (if you can believe that) or refuse to listen to "old" music. to be honest i think they were 'famous' before the singer hooked up with edith (im not a man, honest) bowman
I'm sure your right about the Edith Bowman thing - she might not be as pretty as Sarah Cox, but at least she doesn't chatter constantly about crap like soap operas and what she had for tea last night. I was in the unfortuate position of working in a factory office for 2 weeks when she took over Jo Whiley's morning show in the summer. I have never heard such a diatribe of pointless drival except from Vicky Pollard!
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

mojo filters wrote:
bunnyben wrote:
mojo filters wrote:
bunnyben wrote:

cat power, too.

I'm sure your right about the Edith Bowman thing - she might not be as pretty as Sarah Cox, but at least she doesn't chatter constantly about crap like soap operas and what she had for tea last night. I was in the unfortuate position of working in a factory office for 2 weeks when she took over Jo Whiley's morning show in the summer. I have never heard such a diatribe of pointless drival except from Vicky Pollard!
*shudders violently*
Elspeth M Moore
Known user

Post by Elspeth M Moore »

hey at least she was "moved to tears twice" at the J Spaceman gig - she's got some taste !

Elspeth
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Elspeth M Moore wrote:hey at least she was "moved to tears twice" at the J Spaceman gig - she's got some taste !

Elspeth
Then I'm quite sure she spent the next week wittering on about it then to all that have to suffer listening to her verbal detritus. I feel very sorry for the boyfriend she always mentions - he must be a man of great patience and few words :!:
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

mojo filters wrote:
Elspeth M Moore wrote:hey at least she was "moved to tears twice" at the J Spaceman gig - she's got some taste !

Elspeth
Then I'm quite sure she spent the next week wittering on about it then to all that have to suffer listening to her verbal detritus. I feel very sorry for the boyfriend she always mentions - he must be a man of great patience and few words :!:
unless he's imaginary... (insert pondering smiley)
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

bunnyben wrote:
mojo filters wrote:

Elspeth
LOL! Can see the headlines now:

Sarah Cox Scandal: bigmouthed annoying Radio 1 DJ exposed in love life lie. Legal class action to be brought by irate listeners who've had to put up with this lying loudmouth's annoying prattle. Cox, when questioned, for once had nothing to say!
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

mojo filters wrote:
bunnyben wrote:
mojo filters wrote:

Elspeth

Sarah Cox Scandal: bigmouthed annoying Radio 1 DJ exposed in love life lie. Legal class action to be brought by irate listeners who've had to put up with this lying loudmouth's annoying prattle. Cox, when questioned, for once had nothing to say!
the Sun called, you have an interview lined up
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

bunnyben wrote:
mojo filters wrote:
bunnyben wrote:
mojo filters wrote:

Elspeth

I'm starting to think I should have put the word 'allegedly' in there somewhere :?
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

mojo filters wrote:
bunnyben wrote:
mojo filters wrote:
bunnyben wrote:
mojo filters wrote:

Elspeth

I'm starting to think I should have put the word 'allegedly' in there somewhere :?
nah, if she comes for you you'll hear her a mile off
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

Amazon have 30 sec samples of the Yoko album here, with 'Walking On Thin Ice - Spiritualized' (although the player doesn't work for me):
http://www.amazon.com/Yes-Im-Witch-Yoko ... 000LC520K/

Or try here (Real Audio link from .ca works ok):
http://www.amazon.ca/Yes-I-Witch-Yoko-Ono/dp/B000LC520K
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

It's great - apart from the vocal. :?
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Does anyone else find it odd that the file you download is "hurl.exe"?
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

JPB wrote:It's great - apart from the vocal. :?
Wow, such original criticism of Yoko. What next, it's her fault the Beatles broke up? Err...its 2007.

You ought to try Diamanda Galas.
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

Sorry - erm, it sounds bad. If you like it, cool, buy it. I think that's how it works.
Slider
Known user

Post by Slider »

Yoko's great. Now shut up.
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

I totally agree Yoko's great and I admire her art.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

http://ubu.wfmu.org/sound/fluxus_anthol ... ko-Ono.mp3

http://www.ubu.com/sound/ono.html
free MP3s:

1. Cough Piece (32:31)
Yoko Ono, Cough Piece, 1961.
Recorded 1963, Tokyo

2. Let's Go On Flying (1:10)

3. Snow is Falling All the Time (1:10)

4. Mum's Only Looking for Her Hand in the Snow (2:13)

5. No Bed for Beatle John (w/John Lennon) (4:44)

http://www.yoko-ono.com/bio.htm
Artistically misunderstood, derisively known as the most famous widow in the world and vilified as the catalyst for the breakup of the most famous music group of all time, Yoko Ono in actuality is an uncompromising artistic visionary who was already an avant-garde superstar before she met John Lennon.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

BzaInSpace wrote:You ought to try Diamanda Galas.
... or Niobe.

anyway, it's out on tuesday.

http://www.astralwerks.com/ono/default.html
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

BzaInSpace wrote:You ought to try Diamanda Galas.

yeah i agree, i saw her perfrom in san diego, she has some connection to here. anyways the show was one of the most eerie and amazing performances i have ever seen. half of it was about AIDS and the other ?????

all and all an interesting nite. what a voice she has. it can peel paint off the walls.

xx