Spread Your Wings (Pure Phase)

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

albrown
New user

Spread Your Wings (Pure Phase)

Post by albrown »

I was going through an old box of tapes and finally found a free tape from the April 1995 issue of Select Magazine in the UK that I'd been looking for for ages.

It has a lovely Spiritualized track on it called Spread Your Wings (Pure Phase), which many people may not have heard, so here it is...

http://download.yousendit.com/5BA597D6050548E4
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

thanks
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

Muchos gracias. I've been looking for this on mp3 for years.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Yeah thanks for this... though i prefer the album version, i wish that it had a bit of the crispness and understandability of this version.

much appreciated.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Wow! Thanks.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Thanks for that - when I first read the title it sounded really familiar, but a quick look through all my Spz stuff couldn't find it. Was it ever a 'b' side or on any other release?

Seems like the sort of thing that should have gone on Complete Works vol 1 as I recently bought that for about £2 on eBay without bothering to read the tracklisting, so was disappointed to find I already owned most of it, some duplicated on CD & record. I do recall now the press release for this originally had something about providing material for fans who had't got all the different mixes etc with one easy and reletively cheap solution, which is a noble sentiment and excellent idea as most of the older singles, eps etc I own were not bought at the time of release as I only started listening to Spiritualized when my flatmate was getting really excited a few months before the release of LAGWAFIS and I couldn't understand why. So he played me their other stuff. Obviously when LAGWAFIS was eventually released I (as I guess like a lot of younger Spz fans) really was impressed - the album was so accessible in a way that LGM wasn't (when first heard Medication on LGM, that dry production just sounded wrong, whereas now I think it's better than the single mix and most live versions) and Pure Phase initially had it's moments where I couldn't really see any musical worth in it, but great songs like Lay Back in the Sun kept my interest until I got into the rest of it.
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

i'm pretty sure the track has only ever appeared on the select cassette, i just always assumed it was an early mix of the final track, with some effects in different places. i dont think its a totally different recording.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

thats great thanks alot! sounds fantastic! I think pure phase is a great winter album. Sit in your nice warm front room with a bottle of wine and low lighting and let it drift over you. I didnt get it when I first heard it, the production was too different to LAGWAFIS. But I know think its possible the greatest album hes done. Production wise its way way ahead of anything else recorded by other artists then or since. two stereo channels per track. Genius.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

simonkeeping wrote:thats great thanks alot! sounds fantastic! I think pure phase is a great winter album. Sit in your nice warm front room with a bottle of wine and low lighting and let it drift over you. I didnt get it when I first heard it, the production was too different to LAGWAFIS. But I know think its possible the greatest album hes done. Production wise its way way ahead of anything else recorded by other artists then or since. two stereo channels per track. Genius.
Production-wise I'm with you on Pure Phase being my favourite album, but the number of great tunes on Ladies and Gentlemen... makes it hard to choose an absolute favourite. Any song from Pure Phase that was released as a single or whatever, but with a different mix such as Lay Back in the Sun, never bettered the original PP mix for me.

Mixing each stereo track seperately must have been so hard, especially if it was an analogue recording - you'd probably need a 248 track desk! Perfectly executed though, worth all that hard work.
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

the two purephase mixes do differ, pierce completed a 1995 nme interview in which he admitted there were even lyrical differences between the mixes. god knows where though.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

andyblacktoo wrote:the two purephase mixes do differ, pierce completed a 1995 nme interview in which he admitted there were even lyrical differences between the mixes. god knows where though.
That's kind of my point - it would be easier these days on ADAT or whatever but for taped mixing you'd have to split the desk or use 2 to listen back to how the track sounded after you'd made a change to one of the individual channel mixes, rather than just adjusting pan pots.
selib
Known user

Re: Spread Your Wings (Pure Phase)

Post by selib »

Does anyone still have a good upload of this by chance?
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

Here's my old rip of the whole Select Exclusives tape, in flac:
https://we.tl/t-B0VyyrgoPc
Be quick, files disappear on jan 31st!
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
selib
Known user

Post by selib »

thank you!!
JohnGris
Known user

Post by JohnGris »

beaker73 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:05 pm Here's my old rip of the whole Select Exclusives tape
This is fantastic! Thanks for sharing this.
I loved these tapes back in the day, sadly I didn't keep all of mine.

The Spiritualized track is obviously brilliant, and going to the start of your rip now I am instantly transported back to '95 with the Boo Radleys song. Bliss.
Billy Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy Whizz »

Not sure if this version is any better quality (haven't had a chance to check yet) but it's on YouTube Easy enough to get a decent quality rip from there.

https://youtu.be/T73A2sDzpec
REVOLUTION * PURITY * LOVE * SUICIDE * ACCURACY
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Billy Whizz wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:22 am Not sure if this version is any better quality (haven't had a chance to check yet) but it's on YouTube Easy enough to get a decent quality rip from there.

:D :D :D

I put that up on YT as i always loved the slightly different take on it, with the ethereal sounds tagged on to the end instead of being part of the intro...
Billy Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy Whizz »

Laz69 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:06 am
Billy Whizz wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:22 am Not sure if this version is any better quality (haven't had a chance to check yet) but it's on YouTube Easy enough to get a decent quality rip from there.

:D :D :D

I put that up on YT as i always loved the slightly different take on it, with the ethereal sounds tagged on to the end instead of being part of the intro...
Ha! Might have got an extra couple of plays in the last day or 2 then! What's the quality like? I have no proper sound of internet stuff at the moment.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I ripped the audio from the Real Complete Works set i have @ 320kbps. Not sure of the original source for the RCW, but it sounds ok to my cloth ears!
Billy Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy Whizz »

Managed to listen to it through laptop speakers last night and it sounded great! My CDRs of the Real Complete Works are in storage with the rest of my stuff sadly.