Hello, good evening and a question...about The Heads

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

RoboHobo
Known user

Hello, good evening and a question...about The Heads

Post by RoboHobo »

Hello

I have lurked around here for far too long and have decided to finally get on board, so erm, hello everybody. How's it going?

I have a rather selfish reason for posting though and this is to obtain some information about The Heads. I recently heard the ...relaxing with album and have to say I am mightily impressed. I seem to remember someone on this forum raving about them and wondered if they could recommend some other albums to get (all of them?). Also, I cannot seem to find a website for them, any ideas? Are they on tour soon? I have to see these guys live. I'd be very grateful for any hints.

Also currently debating whether or not to go to ATP. I saw the Acoustic Mainlines show at QEH which was absolutely stunning, one of Mr Pierce's best gigs yet. Isn't Minehead Butlins where Status Quo met/formed? Good grief why do I know that? Not a very good first impression is it.

I will try to lurk no longer.

Cheers
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Welcome RoboHobo - you should ask Runcible about The [mighty] Heads as I think he got everyone hear into them due to his ceaseless enthusiasm for them.

I can most certainly recommend the 'Everbody knows we got nowhere' album as it is a modern psycheledic sludge-rock classic!

Do a search for them using the filter on the main screen here and I'm pretty sure you can dig some info on them. I don't think they tour often though...Runcible?
sonic124
Known user

Post by sonic124 »

http://www.theheadsrock.com/

& http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=79268567

Yep basically just everything you can get yer hands on, Everybody knows we got nowhere is an awesome mix of everthing they do (full on psych!) also At Last (a live rehearsal recording nice mix of stuff) the newish one Under the stress also worth getting is dead in the water well youve no chance of getting it as its sold out long ago but its on soulseek its a collection of rehearsal room jams with some field recordings mixed in IMHO the best band on the planet!
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

Gotta agree with the above The Heads are up in my top 5 bands of all time. Live they are almost untouchable, but, and this is a big but, they very rarely play live, almost hardly ever update their website but are worth every penny of your hard earned if you are going to invest in their output. Dead in the Water is ace, as is Headlong dive etc etc there isn't one disc I would leave out of not getting, all Psych rock classics.
And a very nice bunch of guys to if you get to meet em.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eat-lights-Become-lights/225847625393
RoboHobo
Known user

Post by RoboHobo »

Wow, thanks for your input guys, I really appreciate it. I love finding a new band/artist to get into, especially when they have released quite a bit. Looks like my wallet is going to take a pounding this weekend.
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

LOL Know what you mean but hey, it's all in a good cause. When your through with the Heads checkout Bardo Pond, I'm sure you won't regret it, similar sorta tip, heavy n loud, more great stuff.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eat-lights-Become-lights/225847625393
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Not much for me to add here - the others have said it all. Just buy everything as its all good and all played with the same overwhelming dope-packed insanity. Everybody Knows is my favourite as it careers from one jam to some clip they liked from a rehearsal to another full song to some different mash up. Real chaos in there but it somehow flows and builds up towards an amazing climax.

And gigs are indeed a very rare thing, but completely mind-blowing when they make an appearance. They love it when people tell them how good they are and are always incredibly friendly.

Bardo Pond is a worthy mention here as both bands have a similar effect in terms of out and out power. Plus they are on tour right NOW, with a London date on Monday. The one in Manchester last Wednesday was truly monumental, with the accent on mental.

BTW Relaxing With is planned as a reissue with some live stuff added too. Ought to be entertaining.
RoboHobo
Known user

Post by RoboHobo »

Just thought I'd post a quick one to say that I eventually got Relaxing with and Everybody knows. Both of which have been blasting my eardrums recently. All excellent stuff. Cheers again everyone for your advice.

Sort of related in a beautiful noise way, is anyone into Explosions In The Sky? I am really looking forward to the new album which I think is out in February. They are touring around then and I notice that not only are they playing in London, but also at the Paradiso. Hmm, very very tempting.
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

They are also playing Gebäude 9 in Cologne, which must rate as one of the smokiest venues in the world (but they always seem to get good bands, I've seen GSYBE!, the Fall, Low (twice), Add N to X, and Silver Mt. Zion there, I just hate smelling like an ashtray when I come out). :(