Spiritualized back story...?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

bcastle21
Known user

Spiritualized back story...?

Post by bcastle21 »

ok i've been wondering about a couple things relating to the band...

i thought LAGWAFIS was a reaction to his breakup with Kate Radley, but the liner notes say she was a part of making that record...was that a short lived thing or something? Jason has a kid now, is Kate the mother?

i know, stupid questions but i'm curious.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

no idea how much involvement she had in the record, apart from the opening line. Think they did break up around the time of that record, The press definitely tagged it as a break up record, but i think Jason denied it. so who knows.

Not sure if he's got one of two kids now, one is definately called Poppy and I believe his girlfriend [and Poppy's mother] is called Juliette. Ms Radley ran off with Richard Ashcroft, possibly thinking he was going to be successful; how wrong she was.
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

I could swear that i once read in some verve book that Richard and Kate were married in 1995. I remember the author mentioning a marriage certificate or something as proof. If that's the case then she was already hitched when lagwafis was going down, no?
bcastle21
Known user

Post by bcastle21 »

Poppy...haha neat.

so kate was married to richard ashcroft and she was hanging with jason pre LAGWAFIS enough to be in album inlays and artwork...huh

i always thought it was a breakup record, but just found it interesting how she was a performer on it...i think more than the opening line, check credits
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Morning, 1995 still sounds bit early to me. I'm sure I read it in the mirror (!) that they had got married and that was deinately after Ladies and Gents. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that it would make it even more bizzarre. Jason was still living at Kate's parents house well after the release of Ladies and Gents.

Sigh, shes the Yoko Ono of Space Rock. :roll:
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

ok, this is what i know to the best of my understanding

kate radley is a rugby girl, after initally dating a member of the darkside, she started to see jason towards the end of the spacemen era. the first spritualized single : anyway that you want me was dedicated to radley, but featured steve evans on keyboards.

radley replaced evans by the time of feel so sad, the second single.

ashcroft became enamoured with radley after the verve supported spiritualized on a small tour of dates around the release of lazer guided.

certainly in a 1993 nme interview, radley and pierce are featured together to promote the electric mainline ep, whilst on a romantic weekend in paris.

radley played on lgm and pure phase, but married ashcroft in 1995, in a regsitry office in stroud, gloucestershire.

someone told me that it took radley 2 years to tell her parents she had married ashcroft.

something happened, and pierce and radley reconvened, but by the time of the 1997 release of ladies and gents, she was back with ashcroft.

she did play on ladies and gents, and played the first 3 or four dates to promote the album, before becoming sick.......and 6 months later pierce announced her departure from the band, to be eventually replaced by thigh paulsandra....however, jason continued to live with radleys parents at their gloucestershire home, something the sun picked up in a major ashcroft - pierce - radley love triangle expose. ladies and gents is dedicated to radleys parents.

jason has of course, ended up in a new relationship, and now has 2 children, and lives in a london apartment in hoxton.

incidentally craig wagstaff from the darkside now plays in ashcrofts backing band.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Mr Black sir, your knowledge is unsurpassed. I had no idea they [radley and Ashcroft] got together and then broke up again.

I'd still rather have Ms radley on keyboards than thighpaullsandra.