Top 10 records ever(as of 12/1/2006)

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

toomilk wrote:
dexterfp@utas.edu.au wrote:
1. Astral Weeks (Van Morrison)

Really? I would have never guessed. It's a great album, but the GREATEST? I don't know.

Ahhh...I was drunk and did not see the "in rough order"...my apologies.
dexterfp@utas.edu.au
New user

Post by dexterfp@utas.edu.au »

Ain't saying it's the greatest album, but it's certainly my favourite.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Spamela DeBarres wrote:
twentysixdollars wrote:Pop:
twentysixdollars wrote:Jazz:
Segregation, yeah, I don't dig. Bop and McGuinn blew that apart already.

bunnyben wrote:
jack white wrote:9: Chris Bell – I am the Cosmos
one of richard ashcrofts fav albums
Figures. He's always been about weighing an album down with 10X too much selfpity and introspection.

IATC is over heralded. Good for what it is, a way unfinished album project that it's creator couldn't get off the ground (not just due to the frequently mentioned industry hassles, but because he'd fallen majorly and couldn't get the shit together), but nowhere near the classic that people make out. It's more a posthumously compiled set of demos and works in progress than an album.
"There Was A Life/Light" was already a depressingly Beatley drag when Big Star deemed it too mediocre/unformed for release. The subsequent version on IATC is pasty enough to make that earlier pass sound like Funka-fuckin-Delic by comparison, to the point where you're wondering if the ambition was to write Hurricane#1's "Let Go Of The Dream" 25 years before Andy Bell dribbled it.
Where CB's stellar "#1Record" contributions offered affirmation, swelled the heart and inspired empathy, too much of the stuff on IAMTC only reeks of Mama's boy type "I'm a genius and nobody knows it" indulgence. And not in a compelling way.
Don't mean this to be cruel, because I'm a big admirer of Chris' talents at their most exalted, but when he whines the line "spending all my time, waiting to die" you just wish someone would put him out of his misery/apathy. For his sake. It IS possible to scream of suicide while still betraying a deep desire for life (YER BLUES, IN FREAKIN UTERO), but Chris just says he wants to die and that's it. Bye then, see you in the next one.
And that IS sad...not heroically, as most seem to think, but pathetically.

Of the good stuff..."Speed Of Sound", You And Your Sister" and "Look Up" are stunning, complete productions. The superior 45 mix of the title song is left off. And roughly tuned guitars, guide vocals and nonexistant production that the Beatles obsessed studio-perfectionist in Bell would've built over (use the quantum leap of "Get Away" into "I Don't Know" as your proof) relegate brilliant tunes like "Better Save Yourself" and "Though I Know She Lies" to unfinished gem status.
Jody Stephens' void is massively felt, the dynamics and propulsion required to send potential-fat slabs of boogieNsnarl like "Make A Scene" into the stratosphere completely absent from Rosebrough's lifeless drubbing.
"Fight At The Table" is just rancid.
Kinda like half of a great album -- still essential, but a frustrating non-contender in trueblue LP terms.
funnily enough i would agree with a lot of this - though i do love the record, it really only placed so highly in that list of mine due to some tactical voting. if i was being honest i would have both #1 and in utero ahead of it!

but i dont think it's fair to criticise the record or bell for being "pathetically" depressed. there is a strength to the sorrow. a beautiful hopelessness intwined to the record. the weakness is its strength.
correct me if im wrong, but werent you the one who referenced visiting townes van zandt if you needed your sorrowful kicks? well even if you werent, i find a similar vein in van zandts stuff. that there is a nobility to the despair.
i dont see a lack of fight in the music, i see a weakened spirit, and a weakened struggle. for all the sadness in iatc, i dont see the impending doom, the resignation that life is at its end. i see a document of a troubled life, a troubled time. how much of that is self inflicted, self pitying? i dont know, and i dont actually care for the solace i can find in it outweighs any of the complaints i might have.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

toomilk wrote:
toomilk wrote:
dexterfp@utas.edu.au wrote:
1. Astral Weeks (Van Morrison)

Really? I would have never guessed. It's a great album, but the GREATEST? I don't know.

Ahhh...I was drunk and did not see the "in rough order"...my apologies.
I think I might be about to open up a whole nest of musical vipers here, but I rate Moondance over Astral Weeks...it brought an extra element of soul to his music, as well as moving towads a more outward looking perspective in his songs.

I guess I'm a bit biased because Caravan is my favourite song of his...curse my spaced-out memory but I honestly can't remember if he sang it in Pilton last year! I do recall he was slightly upstaged by Brian Wilson's set, though Brian himself didn't look like he was doing too much that day...amazing to hear him sing those Beach Boys classics, but hard to really discern his voice amongst all the backing vox. Van Morrison's voice still sounded strong though.
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

mojo filters wrote: I think I might be about to open up a whole nest of musical vipers here, but I rate Moondance over Astral Weeks...it brought an extra element of soul to his music, as well as moving towads a more outward looking perspective in his songs...Van Morrison's voice still sound[s] strong though.
Quick one while I've got the chance. You're not alone in rating Moondance over Astral Weeks, as no less a luminary than Robert Christgau has always gone thumbs up on the former and thumbs down on the latter. I guess I'm a fan of Van's, but Moondance holds very little interest to me - you talk about a soul influence, but much of the record sounds awfully plastic - prefab soul, if you will, or pastiche. "These Dreams of You", "Crazy Love", "And It Stoned Me", I mean, they're all impeccably crafted, in every way, but they're also nothing more than pastiche - readymade Ray/Smokey/Van himself (respectively). "Into the Mystic" no longer does anything for me (it didn't for years, it did for some reason from ~2001-~2004, it no longer does) and "Everyone" has always irritated me. In my opinion His Band and the Street Choir, which is much looser, feels much more authentic, by virtue of the fact that the songs finally sound like Van's own rather than like pastiches. And though the songs are ostensibly not as memorable, there are more of them, and the convivial atmosphere is irresistible. Anyway, it's clearly the best of his pop work. Into the Music from 1979 is almost as good. In the last year or so I've lost patience for the likes of Tupelo Honey, St. Dominic's Preview, Hard Nose the Highway, etc., even Veedon Fleece, which has some of his best material and some of his most diffuse. I still like (love?) most of Common One and Beautiful Vision, even Inarticulate Speech of the Heart.

Oh yeah, Astral Weeks. Well, it's sui generis, and it's perfect, and it's one of the greatest pop albums ever made, and probably the most moving with the possible exception of What's Going On. Leaving aside the fact that its poetry is real poetry, and spellbinding, the music sounds so much unlike anything else - even Van's countless and increasingly wearying retreads and the innumerable ripoffs about which Van memorably and sanctimoniously bitched on "A Town Called Paradise" - and its evocative power is so enormous and enveloping that...well...I mean, there's no beating it. It may not be the best album in my collection, but there's nothing better.

Happy New Year, everyone!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

"If I ventured in the slipstream
Between the viaducts of your dreams..."

There is something about that album - the title track in particular - that for me has always been a great source of pleasure and comfort.

It sounds like the ocean. Its sounds like a lot of good nights in....it takes me back to times a few years back and I suspect it will always have that power. I love it, and everyone i've ever shared it with seems to think the same. I really like that part when the strings start...

The rest of the album, well for me only 'Ballerina' comes close.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

comps are not albums :roll:
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Aye they are.

Anything more than a couple of tunes - [single or EP length] - is an album.
Besides, 'Astral Weeks' was never a comp anyway!!

:roll:
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

nah ... they're not albums. they're records, maybe. albums are albums. it probably gets slightly more contentious if you're talking about bands recording pre-1960 when albums were just singles (broadly speaking blah blah blah). the idea that someone can have the best of someone in their top ten is bullshit. it reminds me of when someone out of mogwai got asked what their favourite album was and they said 'the best of music side two'.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Contentious... to who exactly?

My favourite Beatles album is probably The Blue Album.
Very definetely an album - they even named it as such [as well as being blue...and a comp!].

The recent Mary Anne Hobb's Dub Warriors compilation is a fantastic ALBUM.

Why bother?
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

BzaInSpace wrote:
My favourite Beatles album is probably The Blue Album.
Very definetely an album - they even named it as such
mine was just called "The Beatles 1967-1970".. :P
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Ha ha ha...

Good point!
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

it depends how you look at an album/comp. if you look at it as art, for example ladies and gents, where all songs fit together blah blah then a comp is not an album and is not definitive of a time and place. if you look at an album as a collection of songs then comps are. say you like an artist, hyperthetically the mary chain and love happy when it rains, upside down, i love rock and roll etc but can't stand tracks like nine million rainy days or here comes alice then the best thing to recomend is the 21 singles comp rahter than psycho candy, darklands, munki if the person won't like most the songs and will have to pay extra. from that point of view a best of comp would be the best album to buy.
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
dpspac3@yahoo.com
New user

Post by dpspac3@yahoo.com »

I guess you could put most of those albums in a "top 10" list, but Storm in Heaven? Really? I've been a huge Verve fan, but these days their stuff is starting to sound a bit thin, too precious, even. Not even one White Stripes album? What about their debut? I'd say its as good as any Velvet Underground album, a band which has bored me lately as well. Hell, just line up White Stripes, De Stijl, Elephant, and White Blood Cells and fill in the rest after that. Jack White's outdone about everyone, at this point; even old
Spaceman, whose lackluster stage prescence has become tiresome. Twenty years of sitting down onstage...give it up already. Him and Richard A. are so '96. I'd rather see jack and MEg any day of the week.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

dpspac3@yahoo.com wrote:I guess you could put most of those albums in a "top 10" list, but Storm in Heaven? Really? I've been a huge Verve fan, but these days their stuff is starting to sound a bit thin, too precious, even. Not even one White Stripes album? What about their debut? I'd say its as good as any Velvet Underground album, a band which has bored me lately as well. Hell, just line up White Stripes, De Stijl, Elephant, and White Blood Cells and fill in the rest after that. Jack White's outdone about everyone, at this point; even old
Spaceman, whose lackluster stage prescence has become tiresome. Twenty years of sitting down onstage...give it up already. Him and Richard A. are so '96. I'd rather see jack and MEg any day of the week.
http://www.topix.net/forum/who/the-white-stripes :wink:

hhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaappppppppyyyyyyyyyyyyy new yearrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

[quote="dpspac3@yahoo.com"] Not even one White Stripes album? What about their debut? I'd say its as good as any Velvet Underground album, [quote]

One noticeable difference is the 30+ years between VU and White Stripes releases. And i'd put either VU, Another View or Loaded(probably considered one of the weaker VU releases by many) up against any White Stripes record.
Posts like this make me want to ditch my entire White Stripes catalog.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
steve_gp
New user

Post by steve_gp »

whoeva said nothings shocking you have excellent taste.
1. jane's addiction - nothing's shocking
2. spiritualized - ladies and gentlemen
3. pink floyd - dark side of the moon
4. portishead - dummy
5. radiohead - ok computer
6. ojos de brujo - cale bari
7. high contrast - high society
8. the eighties matchbox b-line disaster - the royal society
9. velvet underground - white light/white heat
10. Jurassic 5 - s/t

this has been done v quickly and is prob not quite correct, dosnt really sum up my tastes properly
Last edited by steve_gp on Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ekewebb
Known user

Post by ekewebb »

Here's mine then.

Scott Walker - Scott 3
Can - Tago Mago
Captain Beefheart - Clear Spot
The Congos - Heart of the Congos
Velvet Underground & Nico - VU&N
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
The Triffids - Born Sandy Devotional
Dusty Springfield - Dusty In Memphis
Kraftwerk - Die Mensch-Maschine
Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures

Ladies & Gents, Metal Box, Exodus and Behaviour just fell outside my top ten :(

Anyone feel like going through all these posts, assigning points and working them into some sort of chart?

No I thought not...
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

In no particular order:

1. Love - Forever Changes
2. Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space
3. My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
4. Primal Scream - XTRMNTR
5. MC5 - Kick Out The Jams
6. David Holmes - Let's Get Killed
7. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Abbatoir Blues / The Lyre Of Orpheus
8. Doves - The Last Brodcast
9. The Who - Who's Next
10. Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros - Streetcore

Those are my favourite albums at this moment, but half the list would probably change if I did this again tomorrow.
drones
Known user

Post by drones »

veiko wrote:
in no certain order:

Suicide "Suicide"
I've listened to that album once-scares the shit out of me
Similar to Ummagumma (spelling! who gives a fuck).

It could only be you that would post that veiko.

It had to be you....it had to be you-ooh....i wandered around and finally found it-had-to-be-you.

Why is there so much respect for the Stone Roses-Stone Roses? So good they named it twice!

The Second Coming was loads better IMO. Then the Seahorses, wow, now there was a band. All that talk of John Squire having a supergroup.
Well anything super when you mix it with a lil' white heat, aint that right John...I know you're there man, know you watch the forums, know you're knees buckle and you fall to the floor wankin' and in hope that one day you'll get the adulation.

Should've been a rythymn guitarist man, fuck being innovative look, where that got you John, look where it got Jimmy, John.

Aint like you left us a body of work John, is it man? I mean sure you locked yourself in the room until you hit 'Resurection', but none of the kids are feelin' the second coming, your second coming John. They all glaze over when they here King Monkeys words; he was the focal point John, wasn't he, he was the man, man.

Rememeber John, fuck that sugar spun sister, kill that bad man and piss in that waterfall. I saw you, yeah you John, change from that 12 string to your lead where Tears picks up and kicks off and we were the kids 'shouting there's only one John Squire'. So John, so long man and cheers for the Jack Daniels.
I only feel right
with a football at my side
Spamuel L. Jackson

Post by Spamuel L. Jackson »

drones wrote:Rememeber John, fuck that sugar spun sister, kill that bad man and piss in that waterfall. I saw you, yeah you John, change from that 12 string to your lead where Tears picks up and kicks off and we were the kids 'shouting there's only one John Squire'. So John, so long man and cheers for the Jack Daniels.
Righteous.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

drones wrote:Why is there so much respect for the Stone Roses-Stone Roses? So good they named it twice!

The Second Coming was loads better IMO. Then the Seahorses, wow, now there was a band.
It was that good...hence named twice...much as I appreciate the guitars on Second Coming, they could never have bettered the official debut!

Thought, opinions people?
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

mojo filters wrote:
drones wrote:Why is there so much respect for the Stone Roses-Stone Roses? So good they named it twice!

The Second Coming was loads better IMO. Then the Seahorses, wow, now there was a band.
It was that good...hence named twice...much as I appreciate the guitars on Second Coming, they could never have bettered the official debut!

i am the resurection, waterfall, she bangs the drums, i wanna be adored, need i say more?
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

bunnyben wrote:
mojo filters wrote:

i am the resurection, waterfall, she bangs the drums, i wanna be adored, need i say more?
Yes: Made of Stone

Sometimes I fantasise
When the streets are cold and lonely
And the cars they burn below me
Dont these times fill your eyes?
drones
Known user

Post by drones »

mojo filters wrote:

I can't listen to that twee effort at all now. It's destiny was always your local boozer' jukebox...why?...because it's a memory you and yer mates can tap into for 10mins when yer pished on bottled beer...but thats all it is...a memory...
The problem with the Second Coming was that they took too long...way too long. There fan base had grown up. If i remember correctly that music (the first album) came on the (or) off the back of the acid house scene. In fact a lot of that music did...what was it termed "Baggy"...Wow, what a scene!
Anyway I'm sure when the Second Coming came out, Oasis were just kicking off...I seem to remember lots of mod-like haircuts around about the time.
I find there debut nauseating now, although at the time i will say that I was a fan. To me it just reeks of the words "indie" and "student" and all the shite associated with that.
Oh right, you want me to talk about it musically...sorry, not so clued up on that.
While the Second Coming has a few nods to the debut, it feels more raw and ravaged and to me more real.
I don't enthuse about either album, I no longer own either album. I just believe the Second Coming to be superior.
I have a mate who just can't move on from 'those days'. He plays The Beloved, Happy Mondays, Stone Roses, Charlatans et al [kill yr idols, aint that right]

I'm glad I chanced upon Lazer Guided Melodies after a nod from a mate. took me in another direction totally, 'cept the slight 2yr detour into dance music...

I'll have a stab at my ten favs
I only feel right
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Yeah, I like 'Second Coming' better too. 'Love spreads' is one of their best, for me the majority of that album would be on a Roses best of.

But then I heard it before the first one! The tunes Ben mentioned i've heard to the point of sickness where i'm actually immune to them. I used to work barstaff in an indie club so that is probably why!

I loved Ian Brown's first album.

Seahorses were really, really fucking bad though.

Whatever happened to Reni's band? Give the drummer some
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

BzaInSpace wrote:Seahorses were really, really fucking bad though.

Whatever happened to Reni's band? Give the drummer some
1. Agreed

2. Yeah, reni was an amazing drummer, the closest to the Keith Moon of his generation I can think of...give him some from me too...credit that is!
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

mojo filters wrote:

Sometimes I fantasise
When the streets are cold and lonely
And the cars they burn below me
Dont these times fill your eyes?
oh shit yeah, ol' sally cinamon aswell. all in all a poor album if one can forget made of stone and sally
Spamuel L. Jackson

bunnyben wrote:all in all a poor album if one can forget made of stone and sally
"Sally Cinnamon" wasn't on the album. That one's from the Garner era, predates their Zomba deal.

'Poor'? Not as poor as the man whose ears are too jaded to hear one of the greatest records of all time for what it is. If you can get past the pasty hordes of clueless indie-disco go'ers who like one band for every letter in the alphabet - Stone Roses fits just nicely after Radiohead in the wall-mounted plastic wavy CD holder thingy and your friends will think you're cool when they come round and see what a badass indie tastemaker you are instead of some fake clone pop fan who likes Britney Spears or something corporate and sad like that, ooh yeah baby - that LP stands up with the best of any era. Save the indifference for crap like James -- The Stone Roses were a band to believe in, a passion.

p/s: I love "Second Coming" too. Always have.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Spamuel L. Jackson wrote:
bunnyben wrote:all in all a poor album if one can forget made of stone and sally
"Sally Cinnamon" wasn't on the album. That one's from the Garner era, predates their Zomba deal.

'Poor'? Not as poor as the man whose ears are too jaded to hear one of the greatest records of all time for what it is. If you can get past the pasty hordes of clueless indie-disco go'ers who worship it, that LP stands up with the best of any era. Save the indifference for crap like James...The Stone Roses were a band to believe in, a passion.
I guess my particular generation grew up with the roses and so it's sometimes hard to remember other great songs like Elephant Stone, Sally Cinnamon, What the World is Waiting For etc were not included on the official debut album.

James weren't crap - initially as a 4 piece they made some interesting tunes, and when the ensemble expanded and the music changed they made some great anthems, just not all so good.

But I do remember when the roses album came out - we'd heard so much good stuff already including singles/live and different versions of songs on that album, it's only in hindsight I came to realise what a landmark it was...at the time it was just the roses making more great music as expected.
Spamuel L. Jackson

mojo filters wrote:it's only in hindsight I came to realise what a landmark it was...at the time it was just the roses making more great music as expected.
You just said it was poor a minute ago, I'm dead confused now. Help a divvy out -- do you like the Stone Roses first album or not?
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

mojo filters wrote:it's only in hindsight I came to realise what a landmark it was...at the time it was just the roses making more great music as expected.
You just said it was poor a minute ago, I'm dead confused now. Help a divvy out -- do you like the Stone Roses first album or not?
I never said it was poor at all - quite the opposite, just at the time we we're so into the band as they stood head and shoulders amongst their baggy peers, the release of the stone roses was eagerly anticipated but the quality was no real surprise, like I said I was already familiar with some of the songs.

Bottom line is that I'd rate that album as the best debut ever...better than even the smiths or LGM...and it's a contender for best album of all time - they captured the zeitgist of the era yet it's as fresh as ever sounding today.
drones
Known user

Post by drones »

'Poor'? Not as poor as the man whose ears are too jaded to hear one of the greatest records of all time for what it is. If you can get past the pasty hordes of clueless indie-disco go'ers who worship it, that LP stands up with the best of any era. Save the indifference for crap like James...The Stone Roses were a band to believe in, a passion.
I think the reference to Sally Cinnamon was relating to a body of work pre-dating the Second Coming.

Glad Sally Cinnamon came up; why cinnamon...sickly sweet...
'I told Sally i was never happy, I needed so much more'
What a lot of whiney wank.

It's difficult to see past the indie-disco aspect as that is what/who they have to come to cater for.

They are IMO to the late 80's/early 90's what Coldplay were to the late 90's/early 00's

They only stand out because the British Music Scene was infiltrated by American shite and SAW (no, not Mr. James but rather Stock, Aitken & Waterman) for the majority of that period.

If it stands up in any era...would it stand up now? Are kids who are in bands now, enthusing about the Stone Roses as a major influence on them? I haven't heard that said often.

There may have been a period when they apparentley 'had it', Spike Island/Empress Ballroom but it passed quickly. The bitter legal split, if it hadn't been for that would they have been half of what they now 'seem' to be in some peoples eyes. No, it's all fuckin' nostalgia. They may now wish to thank Silvertone for the umpteenth greatest hits/remixes/definitive collection that gently stokes the embers for a little while longer.
I only feel right
Spamuel L. Jackson

mojo filters wrote:I never said it was poor at all
Dude! I thought you was bunnyben, haha!
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

drones wrote:If it stands up in any era...would it stand up now? Are kids who are in bands now, enthusing about the Stone Roses as a major influence on them? I haven't heard that said often.
Is that not maybe a reflection on the bands who are citing influances, as opposed to a critique of an album that takes pride of place in many a music fans' collection?
drones
Known user

Post by drones »

I was quoting from Spammy, when he said that the album would stand up in any era. I was asking would it stand up today.

No because kids don't want 'jingle-jangle silver bangle i'm lonely and i want to go to sleep'

They want The View, The View, The View are on fire!

Wow, did you hear there presenting debut last night.....
I only feel right
Spamuel L. Jackson

drones wrote:'I told Sally i was never happy, I needed so much more'
What a lot of bollocks.
drones wrote:They only stand out because the British Music Scene was infiltrated by American shite and SAW (no, not Mr. James but rather Stock, Aitken & Waterman) for the majority of that period.
Right, no band before them ever stood out against a backdrop of shite, they were the first. Ok.
drones wrote:Are kids who are in bands now, enthusing about the Stone Roses as a major influence on them? I haven't heard that said often.
Yeah, but don't ALL these things come and go then come back around again? 10 years ago it was au courant to namecheck the Beach Boys as a hip influence, now, less so. Who gives a fuck? They matter, and always will matter, to people who love music. If you're a cretin, they don't matter.
drones wrote:It's difficult to see past the indie-disco aspect

For you, maybe. Try seeing with your ears.
drones wrote:as that is what/who they have to come to cater for.

Like the Velvets have come to cater for their little poseur-core? Or The Stooges? Shall we just say fuck them too? Yeah, let's, let's let the stunted few that number among EVERY band's fanbase blind us to the brilliance of music. Thanks for that.

drones wrote:The bitter legal split, if it hadn't been for that would they have been half of what they now 'seem' to be in some peoples eyes.
No, it's all fuckin' nostalgia.
And, again, insincere hyperbole isn't an issue across the board with about a thousand other great bands? That's exclusive to the Roses?

drones wrote:They are IMO to the late 80's/early 90's what Coldplay were to the late 90's/early 00's
Yeah, so here's where I stop taking you seriously. If you truly believe that, and aren't just mouthing off before you actually think, I don't belong on a thread with you. Not digging the Roses that much is one thing, ignoring their context is another.
Fuck the NME and all the other dicks who didn't get it 'til the wave was cresting over their heads, their Jonny-come-lately patronage only served to pull the band down ultimately...fuck all that, fuck the phonies and the snakes. What you're not understanding is that the Roses TRULY MEANT something to a LOT of people on a purely word-of-mouth level before anything else. Coldplay didn't, nor do they even have tunes close to the quality of what the Roses produced. Putting those 2 bands in the same bracket is about as insulting as it gets. If I have to write something essay-length on this, I will, and I'll destroy every halfbaked point you make in the process.
I repeat: INSULTING and ignorant.
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

Regarding the whole 'new bands don't namecheck the Roses' thing, what I have noticed are a lot of these new bands (Arctic Monkeys, the View) mentioning Oasis, who themselves referenced the Stone Roses back in the day. Maybe once all these whippersnappers get round to discovering the Roses, the horrible jangly indie-rock sound we're all hearing right now will be abandoned for wah-wah and Zeppelin-riff abuse. I hear the Arctic Monkeys are getting some rapper on their next album-apparently the Monkeys' singer was all set to become a rapper way back in 2002.

I didn't really hear the Stone Roses until around 98-99, and therefore was not shackled with the baggy/dance thing a lot of you guys seemingly were. This meant the album could have been older than Pet Sounds, Revolver, Perfect Prescription etc.. as far as I cared. But the songs stand up, that's the bottom line. And yes, I'd argue they blew it cos they spent too long doing the 2nd album.

I liked Ian Brown's 2nd album, never understood the Seahorses at all, though a few kids at school seemed to like them. And I don't think they should get back together.
Spamuel L. Jackson

Also galling about that remark is that the Roses never even came close to the mass acceptance Coldplay have. Even at their peak they didn't come close to a million-seller, were still idiosyncratic, strange and multidimensional enough to alienate the 3 CD a year consumer who makes charttoppers out of spew like Shitplay.

Hate the fuckin' game and those who officiate it, not the players. Yeah, it's only in the wake of the band's split and umpteen retrospective 'best album' lists that they've seen anywhere near the kind of disheartening commonplace endorsement you're talking about...but that glib obituarising wasn't what made them great in the first place, and I refuse to be convinced that it should make them any less special, refuse to see why it should tarnish them in the eyes of anyone who truly cares about the sounds on the platter.
The halo was always there, the *aura* that has nothing to do with cretinous 'writers' (who use music as a red-herring for venting their own mental-diarrhoea) or the divvies who set their opinions by them. The Roses were weird, anomalous, paradoxical, they had ideas. They never were an industry hype. They happened in spite of press indifference, not because of press hyperbole. That came after, when the dinosaurs in shrines realised something was going on and that their choice was either to get on board or just get the fuck out of the way.

Icily fantasizing the murder-by-gunshot of a presiding monarch over the strains of a folksong as ingrainedly relatable to Englishness as royalty itself? Call me when Coldplay have ideas like that. Call me when Coldplay subvert anything. Call me when they manage to progress past Chris Martin's dickheaded Coyne-dilute lyrical masturbation or Buckland's fuckheaded Edge emulations and into the Fifth Dimension. That's right, when Hell freezes over.
Spamuel L. Jackson

drones wrote:I think the reference to Sally Cinnamon was relating to a body of work pre-dating the Second Coming.
But, whatever.

drones wrote: 'I told Sally i was never happy, I needed so much more'

It's "Until Sally..."
See? Gives the thing a very different complexion, sets a whole other scene. Mope and self-pity magically turn to celebration and bittersweet-uplift when you actually *use your ears*.

Listening to music is fun. Giving things more than just the most cursory, uninvested hearing usually enhances the experience.

radioshack wrote:Regarding the whole 'new bands don't namecheck the Roses' thing, what I have noticed are a lot of these new bands (Arctic Monkeys, the View) mentioning Oasis, who themselves referenced the Stone Roses back in the day.
Very smartly observed, man.
Last edited by Spamuel L. Jackson on Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:36 pm, edited 6 times in total.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Icily fantasizing the murder-by-gunshot of a presiding monarch over the strains of a folksong as ingrainedly relatable to Englishness as royalty itself? Call me when Coldplay have ideas like that. Call me when Coldplay subvert anything.
Too right sir!
The Roses first album is a thing of wonder. they never came close to it with the second coming (barring Tightrope and ten story love maybe???) and yeah its namechecked by idiots in best of polls. But is that there fault? No. If you actually listen to it. And I mean without your pretences about student music etc etc its an exciting record. It crackles with electricity. The energy on it is insane. The flow of the music is fantastic and the production is in my opinion faultless. Listen to I am the reserection. The instrumental section is so tight, but loose, funky, but rock and roll. I love the shouting over the top. It is a special album. Ok so youve heard it 100 times. Have a break and go back to it and it will send shivers down your spine.

The Roses were the real deal. subversive, raw, unconventional, non conformist and passionite to the core about what they did.

Coldplay.. dont even start
Spamuel L. Jackson

Si, you're a true believer, a music-lover of the 1st degree and a consistently level head around here (which latter is where I fail).
Long may you run.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

'Poor'? Not as poor as the man whose ears are too jaded to hear one of the greatest records of all time for what it is. If you can get past the pasty hordes of clueless indie-disco go'ers who like one band for every letter in the alphabet - Stone Roses fits just nicely after Radiohead in the wall-mounted plastic wavy CD holder thingy and your friends will think you're cool when they come round and see what a badass indie tastemaker you are instead of some fake clone pop fan who likes Britney Spears or something corporate and sad like that, ooh yeah baby - that LP stands up with the best of any era. Save the indifference for crap like James -- The Stone Roses were a band to believe in, a passion.

p/s: I love "Second Coming" too. Always have.
...obviously you have never heard of sarcasm... but the personal judgemnts of you will take their pride of place in my heart. thank you kind sir...
Spamuel L. Jackson

bunnyben wrote:...obviously you have never heard of sarcasm...
Yeah, missed that. It's not always easy to tell, sorry. We need a 'sarky' emoticon.
bunnyben wrote:but the personal judgemnts of you will take their pride of place in my heart. thank you kind sir...
Dude, I go a bit tangential sometimes, the thing about wannabe tastemakers weren't meant 4 you ("you" in the rant not literally meaning you), just the CooperTemplehaircut-sporting hordes mentioned.

The bit about being jaded, err, I just meant anyone whose appreciation of the band has been blunted by overkill. That makes me sad.

What's yer fave Bunnymen album, champ?
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Spamuel wrote:
The bit about being jaded, err, I just meant anyone whose appreciation of the band has been blunted by overkill. That makes me sad.
Sad? Why? It happens man! Hearing some of those tunes a few times a night, a few nights per week in a crazy shithole with punters doing the 'indie shuffle' will do that for almost anybody eventually! Give me a few years and no doubt they'll sound a bit fresher but not now.

Right now, i'd rather hear some of the lesser played tracks [to ME...PERSONALLY] like 'Badman' or 'Sugar Spun Sister'. Now there is a tune and a half.

The sides collected on 'Turns to stone' were mostly excellent too.
'One Love', that was a good one.

Someone mentions the first albums production - I know Mani was quoted once as saying they felt the album was too quiet and restrained compared to their live sound...so, whatever. Each to their own!

I still like the 2nd albums full-on rock sound, 'Good times' yeah! But fuck it. There are other bands, other albums.

But probably not C**dplay. Emasculated anthems for jaded youth.

"And wash your fucking hand"

Top 10 albums anyone?
Spamuel L. Jackson

Bza wrote:It happens man! Hearing some of those tunes a few times a night, a few nights per week in a crazy shithole with punters doing the 'indie shuffle' will do that for almost anybody eventually!
Still sad tho! Just a shame that has to be the way with some stuff.
Bza wrote:...like 'Badman' or 'Sugar Spun Sister'. Now there is a tune and a half.
Now you're talking, those were always my faves anyways.

"Where Angels Play", "Standing Here", "Mersey Paradise", "The Hardest Thing In The World", total killers. I dig the tape-reverse version of "Made Of Stone" better than the original side. "Guernica"...think it was Ads who included that on his submission to the round of comps from last Summer, reminded me how much I loved that one and got me to revisit those early 12's. Stunning piece of music.

Bza wrote:Top 10 albums anyone?
Trying!
Last edited by Spamuel L. Jackson on Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

if someone is gonna tabulate this (and i dont think it be a good idea - too few us, and too broad a taste), id like to re-do it beforehand.
though appetite would, obviously, still be my number 1.
a list of the boards favourite spz (and spcm3?) tunes would maybe be a better idea. and before the new album(s) drop.
(people could note their favoured version of a track as an aside to maximise voting).
anyone?

and i agree that the stone roses majestic debut still retains an absolute beauty, which isnt always conveyed presently due to the glare of the publics lighting. it does embody those same characteristics of the funhouses etc., but they get neglected in its existing popularity.
Last edited by jack white on Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Spamuel L. Jackson wrote: when the dinosaurs in shrines realised something was going on and that their choice was either to get on board or just get the fuck out of the way.
:lol: ....Does sound like the band described as Primal Scream without the tunes or what Funkadelic would have sounded like had they shouted out from a modern urban hip London, but The Regular Fries always had the tunes to shoot a sky rockets up the backsides of Coldplay.
BzaInSpace wrote: Top 10 albums anyone?
No way could i do that list, but ''War On Plastic Plants'' is kicking a hole in my head right now, plus i also love listening to One Giant Leap.
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

BzaInSpace wrote:Top 10 albums anyone?
1. The Stone Roses Anniversary Edition
2. The Stone Roses US Version
3. The Stone Roses
4. The Complete Stone Roses
5. Second Coming
6. Turns To Stone
7. The Very Best Of The Stone Roses
8. Crimson Tonight
9. Garage Flowers
10. err.....?
. . . heligoland . . .
29.11.07 mécanique ondulatoire, paris // 16.01.08 divan du monde, paris
drones
Known user

Post by drones »

I'd like to take this opportunity to agree to differ.

Spammy, I can in no way can compete with forming a relevant critique of why i feel that The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses is not a top-ten all time fav and that i feel it is vastly overated. It's just a feeling. I don't try and make sense of it.

I'm very neandertal when it comes to music, as you can see. If i like something i'll growl with glee and if i don't i'll growl with disdain.

I appreciate that to many, many other people it will and always will be more than just 5mins of their lives.

It has been a real pleasure hearing people enthuse so forthrightly and passionately about their own tastes.

Regards
I only feel right
Spamuel L. Jackson

drones wrote:why i feel that The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses is not a top-ten all time fav and that i feel it is vastly overated. It's just a feeling. I don't try and make sense of it.

I'm very neandertal when it comes to music, as you can see. If i like something i'll growl with glee and if i don't i'll growl with disdain.
Cool, I dig. I've calmed down now. Burn on, dude.

And I agree partially, though I do count it as an all-time fave, it probably wouldn't make my 10 either. Close tho.

Did you do a top10, droney? What's yer faves?
drones
Known user

Post by drones »

Did you do a top10, droney? What's yer faves?
I have been tryin' honestly. I am strugglin' to find albums (in there entirety) that cut it.

so far:

Pure Phase - Spiritualized Electric Mainline
Perfect Prescription - Spacemen3
Exile on Main St. - the Stones
Surfin' on Sine Waves - Polygon Window
In the Space of a few Minutes - Telstar Ponies

as they are the most played apparently

then i get stuck

maybes I:

Whats Goin On - Marvin Gaye
The Last Broadcast - Doves
Through the WindowPane - Guillemots (more a nowish favourite)
Souvlaki - Slowdive

then the maybes naw:

as they aint albums as such more comps or greatest hits.

Definitive Terry Callier - Terry Callier
Heart & Soul Disc 4 - Joy Division
Best Kept Secrets - Lamb

just thinkin' about it, i aint been givin' musicians the credit they deserve. I mean it must be consuming enough making one great song, to have to try and produce approx. 10 for an album.

songs i could maybe do....albums i can't
I only feel right
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

bunnyben wrote:...obviously you have never heard of sarcasm...
Yeah, missed that. It's not always easy to tell, sorry. We need a 'sarky' emoticon.
bunnyben wrote:but the personal judgemnts of you will take their pride of place in my heart. thank you kind sir...
Dude, I go a bit tangential sometimes, the thing about wannabe tastemakers weren't meant 4 you ("you" in the rant not literally meaning you), just the CooperTemplehaircut-sporting hordes mentioned.

What's yer fave Bunnymen album, champ?
that's ok :D , i understand.

i would have to say ocean rain despite it being slated for being 'too accessable', yourself?
Spamuel L. Jackson

bunnyben wrote:...yourself?
"Evergreen" (really),,,,,,,,of the Defreitas era stuff, probably "Heaven Up Here".
I second the love for "Ocean Rain" tho.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Si, you're a true believer, a music-lover of the 1st degree and a consistently level head around here (which latter is where I fail).
Long may you run.
Respect! cheers mate, thats extremely high praise from someone whos so Educated and passionate about music!

Back to business, compiling top tens is an almost impossible task!
Where do you even begin? When you think of every single album that exists since music started being recorded and documented. I mean I can knock out a Funhouse, LAGWAFIS, Ege Bamyatsi etc etc but, its a hard task to do properly? You start to feel like, well I need a Jazz album in there and it starts becoming very formulated and one of that genre, another one from over there. I think it really does have to come from the top of your head like a stream of conscious. Otherwise mr William BullS**t soons rears his ugly head.

Right heres mine as of 12.16
in no particular

1. Funhouse - The Stooges
2. Ege Bamyatsi - CAN
3. Surfs Up - The Beach Boys
4. Gris Gris - Dr John
5. Beauty and the beat - Edan
6. 1966: The Royal Albert Hall Concert - Bob Dylan
7. Clear Spot - Captain Beefheart
8. Good Morning Judge - Furry Lewis
9. The Notorious Byrd Brothers - The Byrds
10. Off the Bone - The Cramps

others thats would have been in there but not today, Exile on Main Street, VU with Nico, the Hits of Nancy and Lee, Acensions, Astral Mediatations...
The list is endless....
Spamuel L. Jackson

simonkeeping wrote:Otherwise mr William BullS**t soons rears his ugly head.
Don't shun the Billyman! He might stink, but even the most ornery among us need friends! Haha.

Some good selections, du'.
Genius
New user

Post by Genius »

1. Back To Bedlam - James Blunt
2. These Streets - Paolo Nutini (proper)
3. X & Y - Coldplay
4. Undiscovered - James Morrison (if you think about it, this is a really poignant and deep title, because, he was, like, undiscovered before he made the album)
5. Life For Rent - Dido
6. Blue Is The Colour - The Beautiful South (my token golden oldie, takes me back to my wild teenage years)
7. Trouble - Ray LaMontagne
8. Corinne Bailey Rae - Corrine Bailey Rae (for a bit of soulful girly action)
9. ... (i'll have to stop there. i buy 3 CD's a year)

cheers, now i'm gonna go eat me some pringle.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

bunnyben wrote:...yourself?
"Evergreen" (really),,,,,,,,of the Defreitas era stuff, probably "Heaven Up Here".
I second the love for "Ocean Rain" tho.
if it wasn't for ocean... evergreen would be my fav also
Nomen_Luni
Known user

Post by Nomen_Luni »

My favourite albums change on a regular basis, but this is what they are at the moment.

In no particular order...

Meddle - Pink Floyd
Faith - The Cure
Treasure - Cocteau Twins
Ladies and Gentlemen... - Spiritualized
Marbles - Marillion
Brave - Marillion
Atom Heart Mother - Pink Floyd
Loveless - My Bloody Valentine
Blue Bell Knoll - Cocteau Twins
Lazer Guided Melodies - Spiritualized

Ten is not enough of course. :)
http://www.myspace.com/Nomen_Luni

We must perform a Quirkafleeg
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

not sure if these are in order-

1) my bloody valentine- loveless
2) bob dylan- bringing it all back home
3) brian jonestown massacre- bravery, repitition and noise
4) kate bush- hounds of love
5) flaming lips- the soft bulletin
6) the beatles- white album
7) the cure- disintegration
8) spacemen 3- the perfect prescription
9) spiritualized- ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space
10) neil young- on the beach

like everyone, these are just the ones that are in my consciousness at this particular moment.
ekewebb
Known user

Post by ekewebb »

Genius wrote:6. Blue Is The Colour - The Beautiful
Top choice. I think your others were albums we would all have chosen but this one is really an overlooked classic. Most people would have plumped for Carry On Up the Charts instead but this, as amazon would have it, "for consistent quality and stylistic variety ranks with their very best".
Spamuel L. Jackson

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Spamuel L. Jackson

Trying to be exact seemed a bit futile -- just wrote down a load of faves and rejumbled them into an approximate order (didn't have the heart to cut it below 80, sorry).
Only allowed me one title per group/singer/whatever, so there's a bunch of stuff absent that would've placed high otherwise. But it's all there in spirit.

There's not a lot to pick between a lot of these albums anyway, which emphasizes how dumb the list thing is. But, in for a penny etc. Raid my trash...

1) Satan Is Real - The Louvin Brothers
2) Clyde McPhatter & The Drifters - Clyde McPhatter & The Drifters
3) II X II - The Cowsills
4) Pacific Ocean Blue - Dennis Wilson
5) Shangri La's 65! - The Shangri La's (first issue with original sequence)
6) Songs Our Daddy Taught Us - The Everly Brothers
7) Judee Sill - Judee Sill
8) Critical Beatdown - Ultramagnetic MC's
9) Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!) - The Beach Boys
10) When I'm Alone I Cry - Marvin Gaye
11) The Delta Sweete - Bobbie Gentry
12) Radio City - Big Star
13) The Look Of Love (US) - Dusty Springfield
14) Too Ry Aye - Dexys Midnight Runners
15) My Town, My Guy And Me - Lesley Gore
16) Crescent - John Coltrane
17) Golden Streets Of Glory - Dolly Parton
18) West Side Soul - Magic Sam Blues Band
19) White Light/White Heat - The Velvet Underground
20) All Hands On The Bad One - SleaterKinney
21) Rappin' Black In A White World - Watts Prophets
22) Dance To The Music - Sly & The Family Stone
23) On The Beach - Neil Young
24) Miami - The Gun Club
25) Ironman - Ghostface Killah
26) King And Queen - Otis Redding And Carla Thomas
27) Luke The Drifter - Hank Williams
28) Easter Everywhere - Thirteenth Floor Elevators
29) Begin - The Millennium
30) Walk Away Renee/Pretty Ballerina - The Left Banke
31) The Slim Shady LP - Eminem
32) Quadrophenia - The Who
33) Darklands - The Jesus & Mary Chain
34) Deliver Me From My Enemies - The Yabby You Vibration
35) The Never Ending Impressions - The Impressions
36) Unknown Pleasures - Joy Division
37) Otis Blue - Otis Redding
38) Home Invasion - Ice T
39) Back In The USA - MC5
40) The Times They Are A-changin' - Bob Dylan
41) Night Beat - Sam Cooke
42) The Manson Family Sings The Songs Of Charles Manson - The Manson Family
43) The Gilded Palace Of Sin - The Flying Burrito Brothers
44) The Doughnut In Granny's Greenhouse - Bonzo Dog Band
45) Presenting The Fabulous Ronettes Featuring Veronica - The Ronettes
46) In Utero - Nirvana
47) John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band - John Lennon
48) More Specials - The Specials
49) Wheatstraw Suite - The Dillards
50) Bad Brains - Bad Brains
51) Bubblegum, Lemonade And Something For Mama - Mama Cass
52) Chet Baker Sings - Chet Baker
53) The Sandpipers - The Sandpipers
54) Presenting Dion & The Belmonts - Dion & The Belmonts
55) The Cactus Album - 3rd Bass
56) The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
57) Dirty Mind - Prince
58) Gentle Soul - Gentle Soul
59) Idea - The Bee Gees
60) Lick My Decals Off Baby - Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band
61) Da Capo - Love
62) Wilson Pickett In Philadelphia - Wilson Pickett
63) Dust On Mother's Bible - Buck Owens & His Buckaroos
64) The Folk Lore Of John Lee Hooker - John Lee Hooker
65) Elliott Smith - Elliott Smith
66) 12 Songs - Randy Newman
67) We Go Together - George Jones & Tammy Wynette
68) I Hear A New World - Joe Meek (posthumously issued)
69) You've Come This Way Before - Nancy Priddy
70) All Strung Out - Nino & April
71) Everything But The Kitchen Cinq - The Kitchen Cinq
72) Love Is Blue - Claudine Longet
73) Anything Goes - Harpers Bizarre
74) Midsummer Nights Dreaming - The Ministry Of Sound
75) The Mamas & The Papas (1966) - The Mamas & The Papas
76) Overkill - Motorhead
77) From The Beginning - The Small Faces
78) Sincerely, Brenda Lee - Brenda Lee
79) Young, Loud And Snotty - The Dead Boys
80) Ole Tyme Country Music - Jerry Lee Lewis
Last edited by Spamuel L. Jackson on Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

you have gilded palace listed twice. other than that, its a nice list from what i know and ultimately intriguing. cheers for the tips.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Inspiring!
thank you.
I've got to check out Nancy Priddy, I started to once but it never went beyond writing her name down.
Was she was on some "Drugs R Us" compilation? (making that name up, it was something like that)