Bloemfontein - blink and you'll miss them (again)

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

runcible
Site Admin

Bloemfontein - blink and you'll miss them (again)

Post by runcible »

Canada's finest purveyors of sublime Spiritualized/Spacemen-esque drone return with a full release on the newly formed Label High Fidelity Recordings. This time a double CD of recordings that I know will appeal to fans of this message board.

Sure this is a blatant plug, but we've discussed these guys before so its not like a quick fly by night post for a quick sale. Their previous releases were pressed in such miniscule quantities few got the chance to enjoy classic space rock at its finest. Those who did have been rewarded.

You still don't believe me? Well then - click onto:
http://www.bloemfontein.ca/index2.html
Download some of the clips and enjoy.

The good news is you can get hold of this latest double CD through spzretent. He's been spreading the word for some time on these guys so I felt it prudent to take the lead and inform folks of a pretty useful addition to this year's 'must hear' lists. Try Bloemfontein out for size - they're excellent. If you want to find out more spzretent is available for details on AKovan@aol.com.
hardhat
New user

Post by hardhat »

Having taken delivery of this thing I felt it right to add some opinion. I've heard 2 other albums and this falls somewhere between them.

I think its really, really good. Occasionally minimal but so pleasant and ejoyable throughout that I found myself playing several tracks again and again. Overall feel is somewhere between psych drone and ambient. I'd have thought anyone who enjoys tranquil laid back stuff with a healthy Spiritualized influence (first track particularly so) would be well into it. To keep my attention for over 2 hours is impressive - great for tuning in to and just as good turned down and in the background.

No idea how many copies were made (mine was part of a numbered edition of just 40 from the US) but I imagine you'd have to get it through the band's website or, as I did, from spzretent (like I did with the other albums).

Best thing I've heard so far this year I reckon.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Best thing I've heard so far this year I reckon.[/quote]

Can only second that, get hold of a copy if you can.
Completely dreamy, music you can really lose yourself in.

1030 copies in total, so I've heard :!:
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Thanks BVCP, Hardhat & Runcible.
Any mention is a good one and these are brilliant. The response on this site has been lukewarm which is odd given the value, a double CD shipped for 12 quid, $15 US or $18 Cdn. But, a few more have taken the plunge and ordered. The response in general has been nothing short of amazing!

For those who live in the Metro Detroit area(save your insults) there is a US CD release party tonight 4/16 at the Berkley Front(upstairs). Bloemfontein are doing 2 sets and it is free! We will have a very limited quantity of US limited edition CDs for sale as well as stock copies. Other goodies too! Not to mention the best beer selection in Detroit.

I know this is a shameless plug and if another moderator wants to delete it then i'll have to live with that. Hopefully not.
Muscles
Known user

Post by Muscles »

Now Alan?

WHY would anyone from DETROIT insult anyone?

Seems slightly out of character?

Detroit people LOVE EVERYONE!

:P

As the BRIAN ESPTEIN of this operation why not get yer BOYS A VAN!

So that we on the WEST COAST can take a gander?

tell yer boys to have a JOLLY GOOD!

love M.
zappaman
New user

cool

Post by zappaman »

sounds good. just ordered the double.
sonic124
Known user

Post by sonic124 »

Cheers for the tip about Bloemfontein guys good music to play while feeding the baby! Hope they get the chance to come to the UK as id love to see them
lake.st.clair
Known user

thanks

Post by lake.st.clair »

thanks all for the kind words on the board. good to hear everyone is enjoying the discs. we'd love to come over to the UK anytime, i hope we can set something up. maybe get the canadian government to pick up part of the tab? tis a possibility. we're definetely looking forward to it.

so shamless plugs, many discs available on the site, the longer now 2xCD, improv. 1 and 2 (new repressings), and improv 3 and 4 are on their way shortly.

thanks again, everyone.

-matt / bloemfontein

http://www.bloemfontein.ca/
info@bloemfontein.ca
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I reckon seeing as it was me that started all this, and added to the fact that I love the album, this link should be allowed to stay. Its not often someone from a band being discussed makes the effort to a) show up in the first place, and b) is grateful for what people say.

I hope things get better and better for Bloemfontein. I also desperately hope a UK visit will happen. Long may you continue to drone so beautifully!
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Got the CD this week and can't recommend it enough. Blissed out, swirling, gorgeous melodies that you can just drift away to.
lake.st.clair
Known user

bloemfontein overseas

Post by lake.st.clair »

hey everyone,

again, these words are too kind, but so good to hear.

discussing with the band, we'd love to come across to the UK, and the timing for us is either end of the summer (august), or before christmas.

if anyone has good leads on cities for us to play, please please email us, info@bloemfontein.ca, or info@labelhifi.com.

also, if there are any radio stations that would play our stuff, please let us know so we can send the album to them

thanks so much

-matt / bloemfontein
Hot Allen
New user

Post by Hot Allen »

Hello All,

I just joined the message board today. Although I've been reading posts on this site for some time now. I just replied to the "best albums of all time" post. Pretty nice to see that other people in the world also know about good music. I sometimes forget this when exposed to "mainstream media" (which can simply be called "media").

Anyways, I just want to thank those of you who have taken the time to check out my band's site. I appreciate all the great feedback we've been getting about the new album.

-Mike/Bloemfontein
asd2112
Known user

Post by asd2112 »

the longer now just arrived maybe twenty minutes ago in the mail. so far i think this is the best album i've heard all year. i really hope this band keeps releasing cds. and if they could they could come play at the village tavern in mt. pleasant , SC i would shit my paints. or any where in the southeast, i would do a 6 hour drive to them.

p.s. thanks for the note matt, i appreciate it.
i don't want to be your lover i just want to be your victim

asd
J.Schiller
New user

Post by J.Schiller »

blind-tested, any relevant bias aside, this disc has not left my changer for months.... and it stays on all night. I'm starting to think it's always there and always has been there, regardless of where you are. You just have to listen for it.
nice work gentlemen.