Stereolab - where to start?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Edukator
Known user

Stereolab - where to start?

Post by Edukator »

I'm thinking of buying their 'ABC Music - The Radio 1 Sessions' album cos it's got some great tunes on it like 'Super Electric', 'Wow and Flutter' and 'Tomorrow Is Already Here'. Also, these type of albums are usually pretty reliable - Cocteau Twins, Banshees, etc.

However, they've made loads of albums so can someone point out the best ones? I know 'Dots and Loops' is supposed to be good. Where to start??

Cheers
Come on now people, come on and slide with me
gimperella
Known user

Post by gimperella »

Serene Velocity is a compilation dubbed as being an introduction to the band. It consists of tracks from the 'Elektra years'. Can't vouch for this particular compilation cos i've not heard this disc, but i know most of the songs, and the Elektra stuff - in my opinion at least - is some of their finer work. So, might be worth checking out.

That said, i think Oscillons From The Anti-Sun is best all round album - i think its got a better feel and a better quality running through it all. If you can get the edition with the dvd then it includes a video or two with sonic boom joining them - if that sort of thing appeals to you. At 3cd's long its a bit overwhelming, but its pretty sublime.

If you wanna be daring then i suggest Aluminum Tunes. Hard work (well, for Stereolab) in places, but worth it. I think it consists of rarer tracks and different mixes.

And as depressing as this may seem, I think there best stuff (exception of above) is from the Mary Hansen years. Great talent, sadly missed.

Check out the stereolab website (particularly the discography) - its one of the best band websites i've been on.
a room full of people with very different opinions may be chaos, but it is a beautiful thing
nasty
Known user

Post by nasty »

i rate emporer tomato ketchup as pretty much their best (and one of my favourite albums).... mars audiac quintet has some great tunes, and i prefer it over dots and loops. Not as poppy, but random transient outbursts is well worth checking out later on.
Edukator
Known user

Post by Edukator »

Cheers folks! The box set does look rather tasty I must say
Come on now people, come on and slide with me
norrin radd
Known user

Post by norrin radd »

does anyone here have the full length version of what stereolab did with nurse with wound, i think it was called simple headphone mind, it was on 12", it was awesome, been after it for ages but cant find it anywhere, if any kind soul has it on here on whatever format, ill trade some of my shit for it

word..
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Emperor Tomato Ketchup is the best place to start, as for one thng it's crazy, sturdy, a torpedo :!:
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

why oh why, try as I might, over and over again I've tried, but I can NOT get into Stereolab. At. All. To me, it sounds like whimpy french crap-pop made especially grating by that super annoying chick singing - - - she sings like I do when having a cathartic moment in the shower - - give me nails down a chalk board anytime. :shock:

If I have seriously missed something here, someone please point me to something they've done that may change my opinion as I've never heard anything but praise for them on this board . . .

off for a pint now :D
I think I feel it coming on
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

purespace wrote:If I have seriously missed something here, someone please point me to something they've done that may change my opinion as I've never heard anything but praise for them on this board . . .
Metronomic Underground...leap into the void!
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

I recommend both of the "Switched On" comps. Where to go from there depends on whether you prefer the chugging groove machine or the gurgly bubble bath.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

alright I'm taking one for the team. I snagged a copy of Switched On with the following track listing:

1. Super - Electric
2. Doubt
3. Au Grand Jour'
4. The Way Will Be Opening
5. Brittle
6. Contact
7. Au Grand Jour
8. High Expectation
9. The Light That Will Cease To Fail
10. Changer

will report back once the cd arrives in the post . . . couldn't locate the other cd
I think I feel it coming on
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

purespace wrote:why oh why, try as I might, over and over again I've tried, but I can NOT get into Stereolab. At. All. To me, it sounds like whimpy french crap-pop made especially grating by that super annoying chick singing - - - she sings like I do when having a cathartic moment in the shower - - give me nails down a chalk board anytime. :shock:

If I have seriously missed something here, someone please point me to something they've done that may change my opinion as I've never heard anything but praise for them on this board . . .

You have hit the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned, for every single release after Emperor Tomato Ketchup (I don't really like that either to be honest).

The Stereolab history is split: up to Emperor Tomato Ketchup, and after. Up til that point they generally made a sort of pastiche Krautrock - almost a Neu! covers band, and a fucking good one. But interspersed with the big slabs of drone monsterdom were these dull French cafe songs. Even in their good period these crap songs would appear. At gigs I'd wilt as they'd bimble their way through second-rate dross until they found their way back to grinding guitar epics.

I should say that when they hit their peak they remain one of the most remarkable live bands I have ever seen - few bands achieved what they did on stage when they peaked. Super Electric, The Light That Will Cease To Fail, Laissez-Faire, Nihilist Assault Group, Stomach Worm, French Disco, Melochord 75.... These songs rate incredibly highly in my opinion. But I regard everything from Dots and Loops onwards as genuine shite.

Another one for the list of spectacular falls from grace (with Flaming Lips and Richard Ashcroft as the other 2 main candidates).
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

runcible wrote:
Another one for the list of spectacular falls from grace (with Flaming Lips and Richard Ashcroft as the other 2 main candidates).
C'mon. Spectacular falls from grace? They were never that good. Well neither was Richard Ashcroft(solo). But he is one of the colossal solo failures of all time. Strictly my opinion eh hem....
Stereolab were great live though. But I haven't seen them since the mid 90's.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

spzretent wrote:
runcible wrote:
C'mon. Spectacular falls from grace? They were never that good. Well neither was Richard Ashcroft(solo). But he is one of the colossal solo failures of all time. Strictly my opinion eh hem....
Stereolab were great live though. But I haven't seen them since the mid 90's.
Didn't Pete K. have some choice remarks to say regarding working with Laetitia? I'm sure I remember someone like that who'd worked with the band making a favourble comparison to the late Mary Hansen.... :?:
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I do recall Pete K. saying something to the effect his playing with Stereolab was less than enjoyable.
My problem with Stereolab starts from the beginning when they said in an interview how they were anti the collectors market when they found out their early singles were fetching big $$.
Then they proceeded to release way limited hand painted 7"s, very limited colored vinyl lps, very limited CDs w/bonus cd. So the word hypocrite comes to mind.
And the records just weren't all that great except the Low-Fi 10" which is great.
Slider
Known user

Post by Slider »

I wonder if old Sonic is easy to work with...
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

in some fairness, sonic with stereolab and supported by tortoise remains perhaps the best gig i've ever seen, or easily in the top 3.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Slider wrote:I wonder if old Sonic is easy to work with...
I never worked with him but he never comes across as 'difficult'...though I guess I stand to be proved wrong :?

Unless he has a massive personality change in the studio or wherever, I find it unlikely from my casual aquaintance with Pete.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

norrin radd wrote:does anyone here have the full length version of what stereolab did with nurse with wound, i think it was called simple headphone mind, it was on 12", it was awesome, been after it for ages but cant find it anywhere, if any kind soul has it on here on whatever format, ill trade some of my shit for it

word..
If its just the track you are after its on the new Rough Trade Record Shops 30 Years double comp.
fsc
New user

Post by fsc »

i agree that alot of Stereolab's music is kinda silly french pop (I still like it though) I think for members of this group I'd recommend Transient Random-Noise Bursts with Announcements. That album has a few songs with a rawer (less blip-bloopy) sound. Especially the song Jenny Ondioline comes to mind that has some noisy guitar stuff going on that lovers of SP3 and SPZ generally appreciate.

my $0.02
fsc
the fun of music you like
http://www.freesoundcollective.com
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

I've got something I found on my iPod today frustratingly called 'Metronomic Underground R' and that's where it ends - anyone know who did remixes of that tune...would love it to be Pete K, but he thinks not...check out his last mass mailing, would love to be the person who helps and gets credit, but I know there are better qualified folks than me who can get the job done :(
sunray
Known user

Re: Stereolab - where to start?

Post by sunray »

Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Nice work Joycey. That is nearly an 11-year gap! :lol:

In answer to the OP, I would chase down the BBC Sessions CD compilation on Strange Fruit. There is a really good variety of work on this compilation, and it is easy to find on Discogs for under £10 delivered. Like a lot of bands, Stereolab seemed to achieve something in the Peel sessions in particular that is missing from their recorded work.

Sadly, chasing down the Stereolab back catalog on vinyl is only for those with the deepest of pockets. I am very surprised at how expensive a lot of the Stereolab LPs are these days. They simply aren't that rare.
TheWarmth
Known user

Re:

Post by TheWarmth »

purespace wrote:why oh why, try as I might, over and over again I've tried, but I can NOT get into Stereolab. At. All. To me, it sounds like whimpy french crap-pop made especially grating by that super annoying chick singing - - - she sings like I do when having a cathartic moment in the shower - - give me nails down a chalk board anytime. :shock:

While my reaction to them isn't as extreme was yours, I have also tried and failed to get into them. However, I HIGHLY recommend Tim Gane's new project, Cavern of Anti-Matter, for killer Krautish psych jams. Really great stuff.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

I always liked Stereolab in a fairly casual way until I saw them live- they blew the roof off of the place in a way that took me by surprise given the light French pop perception of them that I'd always had.

With that in mind I have two recommendations- 'Emperor Tomato Ketchup' as many have said is probably the best way in of all of their albums. The one that I always return to that hasn't been mentioned yet (and features several of the songs that really caught my attention when I saw them live all those years ago) is 'Refried Ectoplasm (Switched On Volume 2)' which I found at the CHIRP records tent at Pitchfork a long time ago on vinyl. It's a very engaging listen.
mh
Known user

Re:

Post by mh »

mh wrote:I recommend both of the "Switched On" comps. Where to go from there depends on whether you prefer the chugging groove machine or the gurgly bubble bath.
Over 10 years later, I still stand by this statement.

For me though it's the groove machine any day; the collapse in my perception of the quality of their output seemed to coincide with John McEntire getting involved with them, and that also coincides with when the bubble bath starts to dominate their sound. Kitsch lounge music that was already dated-sounding to begin with is not improved with time. The groove machine still holds up though, and I've likewise seen them blow the roof off a few venues when they used to unleash it at full force.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Stereolab are playing Primavera 2019 :shock:

Hopefully this means more dates will be announced for next year.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Seem to be re-releasing their albums too:

https://stereolab.ochre.store/index
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

stegraham wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:36 am Seem to be re-releasing their albums too:

https://stereolab.ochre.store/index
How did I miss this news?

Am I really going to buy all of those albums again?

(Yes)
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Ticket got for Dublin in June :D

Don't think i'll bother with the reissues though. I bought the originals as they came out so any bonus material i'll probably just download.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Glasgow ticket for me :)
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

Brighton tickets bought, and I've pre-ordered the first two of the reissues. Probably best that the limited CDs had sold out, I would have regretted paying more for a bit of 2" master tape.

I think this will be the third time I've seen them in that venue, and the seventh time in Brighton...
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

Paris for me, just round the corner from the circus tent where Spiritualized played in September :D
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Celebrating ticket acquisition by going on a Stereolab listening binge. So far played today:

Transient Noise Bursts With Announcements
Music For The Amporphous Body Study Center
Dots & Loops
Mars Audiac Quintet (currently playing)

It's been a pleasure reacquainting myself with these old friends :)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

got a ticket for the Birmingham show, thought the price was a bit steep but that seems par for the course these days with any 'name' act

not a major fan or anything but still keen to see them. I watched some live footage on youtube and when they decide to really pin down the beat and rock it sounds great.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

angelsighs wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:00 pm got a ticket for the Birmingham show, thought the price was a bit steep but that seems par for the course these days with any 'name' act

not a major fan or anything but still keen to see them. I watched some live footage on youtube and when they decide to really pin down the beat and rock it sounds great.
£25 per chance? That`s the price up here anyway, seems a bit steep yeah, but just enough for you to stomach it, quite fancy it but its clashing with Mrs M`s birthday, need to see if I can work around that before its sold out,
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Brighton show sold out before I got a chance to grab one. Kinda missed Stereolab first time round but trying to make up for it now with pre-orders for the vinyl reissues of Mars Audiac Quintet and Transient Random-Noise Bursts With Announcements. Seen they've been added to the bill of Greenman too.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Personally, I thought £25 was pretty good value given that even the likes of Spiritualized can get away with charging close to £50 nowadays ;)
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

Yeah, I didn't think it was that much. I am surprised that they didn't anticipate the demand and went for larger venues or more shows, unless they like the more intimate settings.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

niamhm wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:21 am £25 per chance? That`s the price up here anyway, seems a bit steep yeah, but just enough for you to stomach it, quite fancy it but its clashing with Mrs M`s birthday, need to see if I can work around that before its sold out,
Yep same price here. With fees you're looking at £30 which is borderline for a band you aren't crazy about.

Shines- I guess you could go to a London show instead? I think they have added a second date there.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

If they stick to a predominantly Kraut/Velvets trip of a setlist i.e. pre 1997, I suspect I might get quite emotional in Vicar Street (Yes, i've been having a bit of a Stereolab binge).

Groovy People...Trippy People.... :D
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

had a little listen to some Stereolab BBC sessions on youtube as a lot of people were saying that's the best way to hear a lot of the songs.. and they weren't wrong! they sound nice and rocky and a bit rawer.
unfortunately the BBC sessions album seems fairly rare now, probably won't get reissued too. (its on 2CDs)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

starting to look forward to the show on Sunday now, which has crept up on me.

anybody seen any of the gigs so far? love to hear any thoughts

I also got the reissue of Transient.. the remastering is fantastic and really gives it a bit more clarity and oomph. not sure about the second disc though, not sure I will play the demos very often..
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

Saw them last night in Brighton. Very good, with inspired moments. Can't say they quite hit the heights of some of the 90s gigs I saw, but that would be a very tall order. I won't give away the setlist (although it's easy to find if you look), as I always prefer to be surprised on the night.

It was the first UK gig of the tour, and I think they had had problems getting there on time - they were all involved in setting up the equipment and Lætitia said they hadn't had time to soundcheck. Also no merchandise, which was a pain as they have said on Twitter that they will have mugs ready in time for London.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Thanks for the report Ian. Looking forward to seeing them as it will be my first time.

No merch? That's strange, I was sure I saw some other reports mentioning merchandise.
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

I saw another report that mentioned the lack of merchandise. It may have been well hidden! Either that or it was part of the late-arrival problem.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Ian wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:21 pm It was the first UK gig of the tour, and I think they had had problems getting there on time - they were all involved in setting up the equipment and Lætitia said they hadn't had time to soundcheck. Also no merchandise, which was a pain as they have said on Twitter that they will have mugs ready in time for London.
Seeing them in Dublin towards the end of the month for the first time since February 2009 in Melbourne. Quite excited all things considered. I associate dodgy equipment and shambolic performance with all of my most favourite Stereolab shows. I've never been able to remember the names of 90% of their songs so there is no point looking at the setlists... :lol:
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

olan wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:01 pm
Ian wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:21 pm It was the first UK gig of the tour, and I think they had had problems getting there on time - they were all involved in setting up the equipment and Lætitia said they hadn't had time to soundcheck. Also no merchandise, which was a pain as they have said on Twitter that they will have mugs ready in time for London.
Seeing them in Dublin towards the end of the month
I'll keep an eye out for ya :)
Although I may be struggling as I will have spent the previous few days in a field in a festivalised state!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

sunray wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:03 am
olan wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:01 pm
Seeing them in Dublin towards the end of the month
I'll keep an eye out for ya :)
Although I may be struggling as I will have spent the previous few days in a field in a festivalised state!
I’m likely to be standing right in front of the mixing desk as I am too old, fat and fecked to go down the front these days.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

See you there then - Ba Ba Ba Ba :D
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Interesting band in the sense I've never really gotten into them, yet I've been reading glowing reports about their music for decades now.

Where would you start? The thread here is somewhat inconclusive. Any particular album or compilation that would be recommended?
O P 8
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

BzaInSpace wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:39 pm Interesting band in the sense I've never really gotten into them, yet I've been reading glowing reports about their music for decades now.

Where would you start? The thread here is somewhat inconclusive. Any particular album or compilation that would be recommended?
They are a band of several phases, so there is no easy answer. But based on my stereotypical view of what Spiritualized fans will enjoy;

- Start with Transient Random-Noise Bursts With Announcements (LP) or Low Fi (EP). They have droney moments, and are nicely, erm, lo-fi.

- If you get on with the more pop oriented moments, then carry on to Mars Audiac Quintet and Emporer Tomato Ketchup. A bit more pop, less lo-fi, still some decent repetition.

- If you're still on board, keep going to Dots And Loops and Cobra And Phases Group Play Voltage In The Milky Night. I'm very keen on the former, and the latter has a lot of fans.

I can't see many people here being very keen on what happens after that.

There are several excellent compilations of singles and sessions, but they aren't great starting places (although a case could be made for Switched On volumes 1 and 2).
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

There is also this pretty decent compilation:
[url][https://www.discogs.com/Stereolab-Seren ... /30738/url]
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

saw them on Sunday night in Birmingham.

no equipment problems, not shambolic, a pretty tight set all told.

I'd put the show in the "good but not amazing" category personally.
they mainly emphasised the droney rocky part of their sound which was positive, the more kitsch poppy ones just in there as a palate cleanser.

but the sound should have been louder really and there wasn't much visual presentation (just a curtain and a couple of lights) which meant that apart from a few moments it rarely got me that excited.

I will say most of the crowd were very into it and bopping along, so take my opinion for what it's worth I guess (as a casual fan)

I'm no expert (and like Olan I can barely remember what most of their song titles are) but I definitely remember a couple from Transient Noise Bursts and it was mainly from the early albums I think.

I will say that I was impressed by Tim's rhythm guitar playing- great rhythm players aren't praised enough and his fast strumming really drives a lot of the songs.

EDIT- oh and fair amount of nice merch available, T shirts, mugs, tea towel, old stock of rare 3" CDs they found somewhere etc..
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

some pro shot live footage from Primavera here (not the whole set unfortunately)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8q1Gdh1ptQ
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Ian wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:39 pm
BzaInSpace wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:39 pm Interesting band in the sense I've never really gotten into them, yet I've been reading glowing reports about their music for decades now.

They are a band of several phases, so there is no easy answer. But based on my stereotypical view of what Spiritualized fans will enjoy;

- Start with Transient Random-Noise Bursts With Announcements (LP) or Low Fi (EP). They have droney moments, and are nicely, erm, lo-fi.

- If you get on with the more pop oriented moments, then carry on to Mars Audiac Quintet and Emporer Tomato Ketchup. A bit more pop, less lo-fi, still some decent repetition.

- If you're still on board, keep going to Dots And Loops and Cobra And Phases Group Play Voltage In The Milky Night. I'm very keen on the former, and the latter has a lot of fans.

I can't see many people here being very keen on what happens after that.

There are several excellent compilations of singles and sessions, but they aren't great starting places (although a case could be made for Switched On volumes 1 and 2).
Sorry Ian, just seen this, been away...

Thank you for your recommendations. Will check them out when I can... cheers!
O P 8
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Based on reviews by JamesT, I got tickets to see them in El Paso, Texas. Haha.

Planning a trip to Carlsbad Caverns for the weekend, then capped by Stereolab on Monday. Can't think of a better trip!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I see Switched On Vol.5 - Pulse Of The Early Brain is up for preorder as a 3lp or 2cd. All the usual places.
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

sunray wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:07 pm I see Switched On Vol.5 - Pulse Of The Early Brain is up for preorder as a 3lp or 2cd. All the usual places.
Lots of early stuff on this one, I expect that people here will enjoy this more than some of the other recent compilations. If you've never heard the Lo-Fi EP, it's worth getting this for that alone. Simple Headphone Mind is absolutely amazing too.