spiritualized single?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Martyn
New user

spiritualized single?

Post by Martyn »

Hi

long time spiritualized fan, first time poster here....

can anyone tell me what happened about the limited edition spiritualized single that was released a few months ago with individually drawn artwork? are there any copies available anywhere? and what was it called?

thanks,

Martyn
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

Hello and welcome. The single was called Cheapster and you could order it from http://www.hmv.co.uk. the first 500 copies were signed and had a number, after that i think they have the ® in place of a number.

i don't know if you can still buy the ® versions, and the numbered versions you'll have to check ebay for i think. hope that helps.
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

Copies 1-40 (I think) were withheld for band members, their family and friends, and only copy #500 actually had any artwork on it (the rest just signed "Spaceman") - and probably only that person and Jason will ever know what the artwork is (unless the owner feels like sharing!).

I was also under the impression that there weren't going to be any copies pressed after the numbered 500, however I stand to be corrected.
lazer_guided
Known user

Post by lazer_guided »

I got Chepaster No 2 and i've never met Jason or any of this family.
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

Maybe it was 40-80, I can't remember ;)

I'd imagine you were very stoked to get #2....
lazer_guided
Known user

Post by lazer_guided »

Can't decide whether I'm lucky to get number 2 or unlucky to just miss out on Number 1!
Martyn
New user

Post by Martyn »

cheers for the info. ebay has a few, all labelled with an ® symbol. there's also a mysterious promo - i guess that's not signed, there's no picture - and the following from one auctioneer keen to make it sound rare:
One of those Bizzarre marketing ploys. This VERY limited CD was only available here in the UK, courtesy of HMV, and was quickly SOLD OUT!

According to the 'Spiritualized' website this release is limited to 500 copies only.

There is now some speculation that more than 500 copies were released.

Another theory is that Jason simply got bored, and put various signs on the CD covers instead of a number. So some are numbered, some have a circled "R" like this one, and some even just have a "+" sign in the bottom hand cover.

The UK Record Collector Magazine add's to the confusion, by stating that each single will be personalised (no mention of numbering).

Either way this is a VERY RARE and desirable piece of Spiritualized memorabilia
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Have to say this is probably one of the least 'desirable' rarities in the Spiz catalogue,complete farce from start to finish for the following reasons.

1) Obviously more than 500.
2) 'Personal artwork' what a joke!
3) Smacks of 'lazyitis'.

Redeeming factor at least it's in pencil so it's possible to create your own rarity with the simple use of an eraser and a good quality HB.
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

By his own admission, he was particularly wasted when he did them, so it would come as no surprise to learn that the numbering is askew.
jess farr
Known user

Post by jess farr »

that explains the pencil...
mine has eraser marks where it looks like he misspelled his own name
I'd like to get whatever he was on