Vinyl

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Juzba
Known user

Vinyl

Post by Juzba »

Ok, I realise I'm a "newbie" when it comes to vinyl (have had a turntable for bout 2 years now), but this mystery is really starting to annoy me.

Some discs have been developing little red spots or grains to be exact (my reissued LP version of Loveless is an example. Just bought it last october and it was new). They actually develop on top of the vinyl in the groove, "jamming" the needle from moving to the next groove. Also the copy of loveless appears to have some "bubbly spots" on it, which do not affect the playing...

I know it's a hard matter to describe (and i'm a bit wasted) and that this is where my English possibly comes to its limit (don't know if I could write this in my native language either :P), but I'd surely appreciate the help!

Thanks
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I remembger being told WD-40 will help clean records, - but I've never tried it, so don't blame me if it all goes wrong...
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

They shouldn't be 'developing' grains or spots in the vinyl. But they do seem to attract crap.
All records will, at some time or other, have bits of biscuit, jam, toast, marmite and other stuff cramming up the grooves, regardless of whether you have those items in your house.
I use pure alcohol (from the chemist) to clean my vinyl, although make sure you don't look like a solvent abuser when you try and buy it. Another tip is not to use LPs as TV dinner trays or skinning up surfaces.
:)
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Starfish, I have an alcohol cleaner I use for my vinyl, but is it important what kind of a cloth to use? Is a normal duster ok?!
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

I've no idea. I just use an old t-shirt.
Used to be a Slowdive one.
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

That's ok then, cos I've been using an old thermal vest.