info on various spz line-ups

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

twinside
Known user

info on various spz line-ups

Post by twinside »

hello there,

was wondering if anyone with a bit of time on their hands could provide me with some info on the shifting personnel of spiritualized since 1990. ie who was in the band, and what they did, when they left and why.

thanks, daniel
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

there are flaws in the below, but this is an inital precis....

intial 1990 anyway that you want me line up :

keyboards ; steve evans
drums : jon mattock
bass ; will carruthers
guitars : mark refoy
gutiars / vocals : jason piere

for following singles (feel so sad, run / i want you etc ) and lazer guided melodies album

steve evans replaced by kate radley (reason unknown)

post laser guided

will carruthers leaves band (not earning enough cash i think : he documents it on his own website). will replaced by fellow rugby dweller sean cook from rugby band electrahead.

line up for medication single(oct 1992)

keyboards : kate radley
drums : jon mattock
bass : sean cook
guitars : mark refoy
vocals / guitars : jason

this line up tours for a while, and enters studio to record pure phase.

by glastonbury 1993, Mark refoy leaves (to start Slipstream) and is temporarily replaced by kevin cowan (from rugby band the darkside)

by the time pure phase is released, Jon Mattock has also left the band (according to an interview with Jason in a Volume compilation, Jon was sacked due to poor drumming, something i find very hard to believe).

Pure phase is released in 1995, with Spiritualized advertised as Jason, Sean and Kate. Mark Refoy and Jon Mattock appear on all album tracks, although Mattock replaced by Chris Sharrock (the las, the lightning seeds, robbie williams) for one track.

Pure phase toured with sean, kate and jason. Jon Coxon (spring heeled jack and betty boo) fills the guitarist shoes and damon reece takes the drummers stool.

by the time of ladies and gents, jon coxon appears, but the main guitarists spot is taken by Michael Mooney (Julian Cope) due to spj commitments. Damon Reece continues to drum. interestingly stay dont go, (former let it flow b side) appears on ladies and gents. if the same version then both refoy and mattock make uncredited appearances on ladies and gents.

Kate Radley plays the first three live shows to support ladies and gents, (glasgow, manchester hacienda and london), but then becomes ill with mystery illness, temporarily replaced by thigh paul sandra (julian cope). following public statements over jason / radley / ashcroft love triangle (including sun expose), after several months, radleys departure is announced, although she does appear with band to take the nme album of the year award at the brat awards in 1998. thigh paul sandra replacement made permanant.

Following major promotion of ladies and gents and virtual world tour, messers cook, mooney and reece ask jason for a pay rise (they are paid a flat 12k to be a member of spiritualized with additional £50 sums for live shows and radio appearances). jason agrees to pay rises and makes them all sign new contracts as a part of the band. once the contracts are signed, jason uses them to sack all three members.

he then recruits the new and current line up to record amazing grace and let it come down, adding doggen, tom edwards, tom bailes, etc. john coxon returns to the live band.

cook, reece and mooney form lupine howl, jon mattock now replaces reece as drummer in lupine howl. lupine howl pretty much act as backing band for massive attack.

mark refoy and mattock work together as slipstream, will carruthers has produced an album alongside the name freelovebabies working with kevin cowan of the darkside, will also does occasional work with sonic boom. lupine howl , i guess are in the studio, although appeared for a live show with massive attack last year in bristol.
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

forgot, ray dickaty (lush, moonshake), is added as horn section to the band post ladies and gents recording / release (1997), dickaty survives sacking of other members to continue in live band (though i think he has now left).

he also played recently with mattock and refoy in spiritualized
slim
Known user

Post by slim »

Andy seems about spot on to me.

Lupine Howl have a new track to download on their site and are talking about a new album later this year too.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

ray dickaty was sacked when Jason scrapped the brass section in 2002 i think. Saw an ad soon after that for in NME in the musicians section...
barry
New user

Post by barry »

Slim what is the lupine howl website? http://www.lupinehowl.com/ is inactive
helterskelter
Known user

Post by helterskelter »

think it's .net now
slim
Known user

Post by slim »

Helter is correct the Lupine Howl web site is http://www.lupinehowl.net/news.htm
twinside
Known user

Post by twinside »

cheers andy
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

Good shit, andy.
14 years = J. Spaceman & Friends (friends term used loosely).