Geekonumerology - a game for bored Spiritualized fans

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Ian Goodchild
Known user

Geekonumerology - a game for bored Spiritualized fans

Post by Ian Goodchild »

No new Spiritualized releases until June...no pertinent issues for discussion...no work to do, so:

:D Geekonumerology! :D You can join in too, and correct any mistakes or omissions I've made, or better still, add your own numbers! You could...count the number of band members Jason has sacked! The number of musicians Kate Radley slept with whilst in Spiritualized! The number of times where Jason has mumbled something other than 'cheers' or 'thanks' during a live gig!

Key: LGM = Laser Guided Melodies, FUI = Fucked Up Inside, PP = Pure Phase, LAGWAFIS = Ladies and Gentlemen… LARAH = Live at the Royal Albert Hall, AG = Amazing Grace, CWVI and II = Complete Works Volumes I and II.

0 – Number of Spiritualized single, or lead EP tracks, that have not been on ANY Spiritualized LP. CWVI and II have wiped up all officially released non-LP tracks, but even before that EVERY single and 90% of EP tracks released ended up in one form or another on their LPs (surprisingly, most Spiritualized tracks have appeared on at least two LPs, some on three or more LPs! (‘Electric Mainline’ for instance on PP, FUI, LARAH, CWVI).

2 – Number of Pierce authored-songs released on Spacemen 3 records but [at the time of writing] NEVER performed or recorded by any Spiritualized line-up. This excludes cover versions/blatant plagiarism (e.g. 'OD Catastrophe', 'Suicide') and titles “arr. Kember/Pierce” ('May the Circle be[remain] Unbroken'):
Billy Whizz/Blue 1 (from Recurring)
Come Down Softly to My Soul (from Playing with Fire)

3 – Number of songs – covers or original compositions - performed live by Spiritualized that have never been released by the band in any format:
'Codeine' (Buffy St Marie, 1990/91).
'Harmony' (1990/91) (Refoy/Pierce – although Refoy’s section has surfaced on the second Slipstream CD),
'I Am What I Am' (played live in 1998, recorded in Radio Session January, 1998, originally destined for ‘Amazing Grace’ then went walkies).

3 - Number of tracks from Spiritualized LPs that have never been played live [to my knowledge]:
Spread your Wings [Pure Phase]
The 12 Steps [Let it Come Down]
The Straight and the Narrow [Let it Come Down]

N.B. [1] 'Symphony Space', 'Pure Phase', 'Electric Phase' have more-or-less (or actually) been played 'live', as intro music and/or segue tracks [2] 'Didn't Mean to Hurt You', 'Do It All Over Again' (live in 1999 and on Radio session 2001). [3]. ‘The Power and the Glory’ was played loosely in 2001 as the ‘intro’ to ‘On Fire’, but by 2002 the intro was totally different. Every single other LP track has been played live, or as part of a medley.

5 - Number of Spiritualized tracks – off the top of my head - which could be described as 'pseudo-cover versions' and/or strongly derivative…
[NB — $26 did a more expanded thread covering this exact subject quite a while back. I'd disagree with some of the links/riffs he suggested that Jason had 'borrowed' from, but for the most part, he was very comprehensive and accurate, and it may be worth ol' $26 adding this section]
I've got:
- Run ('borrows' chorus from Reed/Cale's 'Run, Run, Run' and J.J.Cale's 'Call me the Breeze')
- Take your Time (takes the riff from Martin Rev's 'Metatron' and repeats it to the climax of the song)
- Take Good Care of It (Kraftwerk's 'Autobahn' riff, slowed, in G)
- Ladies and Gentlemen, we are Floating in Space (it's based on the D, A/C#, B, A, G, F#m, G, A cycle of Pachelbel's 'Canon', and the original ‘Elvis version’ of the song obviously borrows the lyrics from '(Can't Help) Falling in Love with You'
-This Little Life of Mine (borrows the lyrics from trad. 'This Little Light of Mine', the riffs from two Loop songs, 'Arc-Lite (Sonar)' [probably the best Loop song ever] and one other track from their 1990 CD ‘A Gilded Eternity’

7 – Number of cover versions performed and/or recorded by Spiritualized:
Anyway That You Want Me (The Troggs) (performed and recorded)
Why Don't You Smile Now? (Reed/Cale/Vance/Phillips) (performed and recorded)
Codeine (Buffy St Marie) (performed)
Born, Never Asked (Laurie Anderson) (performed and recorded)
The 'X-Files' Theme (Mark Snow) (recorded only)
Rocket USA (Rev/Vega) (performed and recorded – but live only)
Oh Happy Day (Doddridge/Rimbault/Hawkins) (performed and recorded)

N.b. Just to clarify a common misconception about ‘Oh Happy Day’: it was NOT originally written OR composed by Edwin Hawkins/The Edwin Hawkins Singers. The words/lyrics are by Philip Doddridge (1702-1751) whilst the refrain:
Happy day, happy day, when Jesus washed my sins away!
He taught me how to watch and pray, and live rejoicing every day
Happy day, happy day, when Jesus washed my sins away.
Is by Edward Rimbault (published 1854). The song was originally intended to be used at the confirmation of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert’s children. At best, Hawkins can claim an arrangement credit, and credit for spiritualizing (that’s actually a real word) and popularising the song. He is, however, the (shorthand) copyright holder in most sheet music/recordings.

11 - Number of Spacemen 3 songs performed and/or recorded by Spiritualized since 1990 (bear in mind the total number of Spacemen 3 songs, and this number amounts to a high percentage):
Drive/Feel So Sad (from Recurring)
These Blues (originally recorded for Recurring)
Hypnotized (from Recurring)
Sometimes (from Recurring)
Lord, Can You Hear Me? (from Playing with Fire)
So Hot [Wash Away All of My Tears] (from Playing with Fire)
Feelin’ Just Fine [Head Full of Shit] (from Recurring)
Take Me To The Other Side (from Perfect Prescription)
Walkin’ with Jesus (from Perfect Prescription)
Things’ll Never Be The Same (from Perfect Prescription)
Feel So Good (from Perfect Prescription)

11 – Number of consecutive years, without a break, that ‘Electric Mainline’ has been played live as part of the standard Spiritualized set. It was first played at Glastonbury Festival 1992 during ‘Shine a Light’ as ‘Clear Light/Clear Rush’, the name that stuck (e.g. Glastonbury 1993; Fucked Up Inside) until it was renamed ‘Electric Mainline’ autumn 1993) and last played on US and UK Amazing Grace promotional tours in 2003. Electric Mainline is also one the most regularly played Radio session track, first in 1993 (MRS), 1998 (MAH), several times in 2002 (US sessions) and most recently in 2003 (KEXP, Seattle).

12 - Number of years that 'Shine a Light' has been played live (with only one break in Spring to November 2003, when it returned to the standard set list). It was first played in 1992.

‘Take Your Time’ and ‘Walkin with Jesus’ are the other oldest songs in the current (2003/2004) set-list. Both have been played by every single incarnation of the ‘band’, ‘Take Your Time’ was first performed as far back as 1990, ‘Walkin’ With Jesus’ was first played (outside of a Spacemen 3 gig) by Spiritualized in 1991. Both TYT and WWJ have been a regular part of their sets in 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003 an 2004. Technically, Pierce has performed ‘Walkin with Jesus (Sound of Confusion)’ almost every year since 1984: that’s just scary.

Personal preference: number of tracks performed live, or recorded in session, which (IMO) are far superior to studio recorded versions:
+ These Blues (only up until 1991 — NOT the post 1994 version)
+ Feel So Sad [Drive/Feel So Sad]
+ Angel Sigh
+ If I Were With Her Now
+ Shine a Light
+ 200 Bars (1991, 1992, 1993, 1998)
+ Medication
+ Take Good Care of It
+ Rated X
+ Let it Flow (1993 - 1995 or 2001 versions)

Still awake?
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

Wow, Ian. I disagree with lots, but am in a hurry, so I thought I'd merely add that this is one of the most entertaining posts I've read in ages. Thanks for that.

In answer to your request here's my incomplete list of Spiritualized references/ripoffs. There's plenty missing and these were all off the top of my head by virtue of the song titles and my associated memories. I have changed a few words where I was certain I was wrong.

LGM
If I Were With Her Now - intro quotes VU's Jesus riff
I Want You - Dozens of songs by that title. Probably a reference to the Troggs one
Run - see above
Smiles - a probable Beach Boys reference. Also note Verve's Already There, more or less a ripoff of this tune.
Sway - written by Mark Refoy (mostly)
200 Bars - sounds like a Bob Marley tribute like Peter's I Love You

Pure Phase:
The various "phases" - Steve Reich
Born Never Asked - Laurie
Good Times - dozens of songs with that title
Spread Your Wings - sounds like "Heart and Soul"; typical doo-wop progression that could be from anywhere.
Feel Like Goin Home - includes a Star Wars lightsaber duel.

LAGWAFIS:
The title track = Pachelbel's Canon
Come Together - reference is probably to the MC5, but it could be anybody
Home of the Brave - probably another Laurie reference
Electricity - probably from the Beefheart tune of the same name
Cop Shot Cop - lyrics from "Sam Stone"

LICD:
Do It All Over Again - a probable Beach Boys reference ("Do It Again")
Out of Sight - sounds an awful lot like Pink Floyd (grumble grumble)
Twelve Steps - Electricity redux. Instrumental bridge derived from Curtis Mayfield blaxploitation soundtracks.
I Didn't Mean to Hurt You - instrumental arrangement very reminiscent of Dennis Wilson solo material ("Make It Good")
The Straight and the Narrow - arrangement reminiscent of Ray Charles's two country LPs. Song itself is very thinly disguised revisitation of the Flying Burrito Brothers' Sin City, although that descending chord progression is just about everywhere.

Amazing Grace:
This Little Life of Mine - reference to/ripoff of gospel tune, This Little Light of Mine
Hold On - Just Amazing Grace with different lyrics.
She Kissed Me - See obscure Crystals single (by Carole King!), He Hit Me (It Felt Like a Kiss). Also Electricity Redux.
Never Goin' Back - Also Electricity redux.
Cheapster - commonly likened to Bob Dylan's 115th Dream, but sounds more like the MC5's Skunk to me. (I think Jason has admitted as much)
Rated X - Reference to/ripoff of the Miles Davis song, (as Bza pointed out, listen for lousy mixing and clumsy playing), although it most closely resembles something from his A Silent Way.

I'll add more soon, I promise. I owe Runcible an email first.
Clownbait
Known user

Post by Clownbait »

what's coming out in june?
grim66
Known user

Post by grim66 »

whenever I hear (is it kate?) counting off in"200 Bars" I always think of Mal Evans' reverb soaked count-off in the middle section in "A Day in the Life."
runcible
Site Admin

Re: Geekonumerology - a game for bored Spiritualized fans

Post by runcible »

Ian Goodchild wrote:

- Ladies and Gentlemen, we are Floating in Space (it's based on the D, A/C#, B, A, G, F#m, G, A cycle of Pachelbel's 'Canon', and the original ‘Elvis version’ of the song obviously borrows the lyrics from '(Can't Help) Falling in Love with You'
-This Little Life of Mine (borrows the lyrics from trad. 'This Little Light of Mine', the riffs from two Loop songs, 'Arc-Lite (Sonar)' [probably the best Loop song ever] and one other track from their 1990 CD ‘A Gilded Eternity’
LAGWAFIS is also very similar to (don't laugh) Clive Dunn's Grandad, which someone once pointed out and which is absolutely true. Every time I hear it I think of someone shouting 'don't pan-IC!' (a joke for English TV sitcom viewers I'm afraid)

And This Little Life is actually ripped off from Loop's (utterly magnificent) Straight To Your Heart - possibly the ultimate psychedelic rock to snort amyl nitrate to, or the middle throbbing feedback section is anyway.

I too thoroughly enjoyed this post from Ian. And 26's response. Probably as much as when they were at each other's throats, but let's not start that again - I have huge respect for both these guys as well as being rather fond of them, and their combined knowledge is still a never ending source of musical facts for me.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

BAM!

Hardcore information overload... just what I like to see.

Let's hope the forthcoming book has that kind of level of detail people... an appendixes section maybe.

There's not much anyone, apart from maybe J himself (but probably not), could add to that, but here's a couple of things anyway...

AMAZING GRACE

The album carries the influence of Matthew Shipp, especially his version of 'Amazing Grace', especially reminescent of the tracks on AG that feature prominent piano, and the same stark production. Evan Parker plays on this too. All collaberated with SHJ on 'Amassed' and 'Masses'.

'She Kissed Me' - verses sound like a Spiritualized parody.

er thats it

LET IT COME DOWN

Shakespeare/Paul Auster *? /drugs reference

'The Twelve Steps' - Song I wish they would play live the most ...

The Ray Charles 'Country & Western' reference is spot on 26$, although I would say that 'On Fire' sounds like a definate boogie/Stax/Memphis big band thing.

Out Of Sight - the lamest James Brown cover ever.

Lord Can You Hear Me - is there a space bleep within the feedback squeal near the climax?

God thats sad.

LADIES & GENTLEMEN WE ARE FLOATING IN SPACE

Wheres the film? Remember reading about this ages ago... Jim Jaramuch?

I downloaded 5 secs of title track video file...looks like trippy visuals... can't find it anywhere...and can't find rest of file!
Anybody know anything more?

'Ladies & Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space' - Listen for J changing the lyric od "All I want in lifes a ... " to "Little bit of dope" at 2.28.

Maybe for Little Johnny...he's had it in the arm before...

'Cop Shoot Cop' Listen for Dr John playing the British National Anthem at 6.28... free style.

PURE PHASE

'Medication' - strong MC5 influence ('High Time' era...also 'On Fire')

The Slide Song - The lyric "I'd give it up but let me finish what I got..." lifted from the sublime Dion 'Born To Be With You' track 'Your Own Backyard'.

'Born To Be With You' is a heavy influence on the more ornate, mellow Spiritualized (recorded) music.

Controversial opinion - Listened to 'Lazer Guided Melodies' last night for first time in ages,,, and wasn't overtly impressed...maybe I listened to track 3 too many times before stumbling to bed when I was in college...
but it didn't move me as much as it did. That's sad too.

Oh yeah... one more thing for LET IT COME DOWN...

The Twelve Steps - funky Blaxploitation segue is in fact more heavily stolen from

**** T-Rex - 'Children Of The Revolution' ****

My girl played this last week and I laughed my head off... wasn't particularly aware of this before... Visconti production?

But IT IS....

And also perhaps explains the significance of the title 'Cheapster'

('JEEPSTER') !
:twisted:
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

i'm virtually certain that one of the five spiritualized set lists pinned to the wall of my old bedroom (in my parents house in rugby) has spread your wings written on it, from either the leicester university show in may 1993 or the manchester show of the purephase tour in 1995, though i need to go home at some point this weekend to double check, but im 99% certain, because i remember them attempting to play it.
Ian Goodchild
Known user

Post by Ian Goodchild »

Andy,
They didn't play 'Spread Your Wings' at either of the gigs you mention - I was at both.

Queen’s Hall, Leicester University 25.06.93
Good Times (nice Lennonesque 'Come Together' riff)
Take good care of it (back when it sounded good)
Walkin’ with Jesus, Medication, Take your time,
Things’ll never be the same
Clear light/clear rush (written on set-list - we know it as Electric Mainline) Smiles
I want you (absolutely brilliant 10-minute version)

Manchester followed the standard, and rather lackadaisical set-list for Spring 1995:
Medication, Don’t go/Stay with me, All of my tears, Take good care of it, Walkin’ with Jesus, Take your time, Let it flow, Things’ll never be the same, Don't go/The Individual, These Blues.

BTW MC5's High Time? Absolute genius. If you're not hooked within three minutes of 'Sister Ann' (and then absolutely blown away by the surreal ending/outro of the song) you're not a fan of...er...music. On this LP, you'll also find the musical and spiritual templates for Hold on (compare the end of 'Sister Ann' with the beginning of Hold on, Cheapster, Electricity, Medication, Things'll Never Be The Same, and too many others to mention.

Back to the Geek stuff - which you all seemed to enjoy. That's made three hours of typing and two of checking worthwhile!

With regards to reference points in songs, I don't think a name-check in a song can always be read as an indication of anything. For instance, how many artists have written/performed a song called 'Come Together' or 'Electricity' or 'I Want You'? We're talking about 15, maybe 20 different artists, but titles offer a fairly interesting biographical nod to other artists work.

Coincidences [?]Other stuff

LP Titles:
Amazing Grace - There are live LPs by both Joan Baez (1976) and Aretha Franklin (1972) called 'Amazing Grace'. On the Baez record, 'Oh Happy Day' is there too. As 'Amazing Grace' as the least gospel record Spiritualized have ever done, the title is incongruous. Perhaps it ties into Jason's childhood and (what he has stated) as his father's job.

Live at the Royal Albert Hall - Freaky. Although the band played a concert at the Royal Albert Hall in 1998 (geddit? That's why the record is called that!) released as a 2 CD set, the official release is NOT what the band actually played on the night. Real title? "Two channels of Music Recorded Live at the Royal Albert Hall, the rest Remixed and/or Re-recorded by Jason Pierce."

Let it Come Down - Derivation of a Shakespeare quote (tenuous), but the title is actually from 'Let it Come Down' a book by novelist Paul Bowles (1995). Here's a good bit:
"With drugs and isolation fuelling his paranoia, he commits an act of terrifying violence that liberates him - into a region of psychic disintegration and horror... "
Holy fuck! Let it Come Down is Jason's REAL auto-biographical record, not Ladies and Gentlemen...

Ladies and Gentlemen, we Are Floating in Space - is a quote paraphrased from Jostein Gaarder's absolutelty brilliant discussion of the application of Platonic philosphy in 'Sophie's World':
'Ladies and gentlemen,' they yell, 'we are floating in space!' But none of the people down there care. (Gaarder, 1996: 13)

Pure Phase - "We used lots of phasing effects on it" Jason explained to Select magazine in 1995. That's it. Deep, eh?

Fucked up Inside - From "For all the Fucked Up Children of this World we give you..." (Spacemen 3 demos and recurring motif) to 'Makes me feel so good/Makes me feel so fine/but leaves me fucked up inside' ('Medication' lyric - Medicationis on FUI).

Laser Guided Melodies - Attributed to...(a quote from one of the original members of Spiritualized. How many of you know who?)
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Ian Goodchild wrote: Queen’s Hall, Leicester University 25.06.93
Good Times (nice Lennonesque 'Come Together' riff)
Take good care of it (back when it sounded good)
Walkin’ with Jesus, Medication, Take your time,
Things’ll never be the same
Clear light/clear rush (written on set-list - we know it as Electric Mainline) Smiles
I want you (absolutely brilliant 10-minute version)
I think I must have been at that gig [was it one of the gigs with the greenpiece single on sale?] but before reading this I would have sworn that I'd never seen them finsihed with I want you. Around that time I thought end track was consistently smiles [with an occassional 200 bars encore] and then onto these blues from pure phase. Is that show availble anywhere? I want you has always been one of my favorate tracks, I'd love to hear a good extended version.
Ian Goodchild wrote:
Laser Guided Melodies - Attributed to...(a quote from one of the original members of Spiritualized. How many of you know who?)
I'm going make my guess Will Carruthers, - although i may well be committing a school boy error if he wasn't in fact an originanal member...
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

mmm.....maybe, i'm sure i've got it on a set list somewhere....i'll have to check, i may of course be wrong, i'll go via rugby on the way home tonight to check

spiritualized did two leicester gigs in that time, one at demont uni (leics poly) with mercury rev / dr phibes and one at leicester uni, supported by some odd electronic band (got any idea who they were ian?)
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

the laser guided title is mr refoy's origin i do believe
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

the 1993 gigs for shelter were advertised under the title laser guided lights, projections and melodies
spliffboy
Known user

Post by spliffboy »

Jesus people,.........you really need to sit back and consider exactly how geeky this looks!

if spiritualized were a computer you lot would be the geeks that Homer ended up befriending in The Simpsons!
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

yeah, but sadly it is about as interesting as this board has got it an while, so bring it on. Give us geek facts, the more better for me.
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

Did you know that dave lee travis' head weighs the same as 3 medium sized grapefruits
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

it does look rather sad though doesnt it,

funnily enough i rarely play spiritualized records anymore, although I've got a full discography of everything up to ladies and gents....dont like the modern stuff so much

although i find mark refoys stuff gets better and better
grim66
Known user

Post by grim66 »

jason has said that AG's "raw sound and sense of urgency" comes from a white stripes influence. it has always struck me as odd that he named a song on AG "rated x," which is also a song written by loretta lynn and covered by jacknmeg. I mean, the title has nothing to do with the subject matter of the song.....at least, not that I can tell.....it always seemed a little too blatant to me. I could be wrong though.
Clownbait
Known user

Re: Geekonumerology - a game for bored Spiritualized fans

Post by Clownbait »

Ian Goodchild wrote:No new Spiritualized releases until June...no pertinent issues for discussion...no work to do, so:
Ian, what is coming out in June?
jess farr
Known user

Post by jess farr »

and are spaceman and sonic really rich kids?
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

Here's one for you...
1 - number of actual samples of other songs used in Spiritualized songs.

Angel Sigh contains a sample of The Electric Prunes "Luvin'".
In the whoosh (!) bit of the instrumental chorus they sampled that noise from the Prunes because Jason said Mark Refoy couldn't get the sound right on his guitar (he wasn't being nasty about it, I don't think, just looking for that exact sound, so he decided the best thing to do was just sample it)
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

ian

apologies you are indeed correct sir, it's not on any of the set lists i have but im still sure ive seen them attempt to play it, but alcohol and others (time amongst others) have blurred many things into one.

jason and sonic rich kids.....well partially correct,

(correct me if im wrong)

sonic's parents are (or werent) too badly off, living somewhere out in dunchurch and running a succesful wool trading company (websters as was if im right).

jason's were totally differing, a single parent family, (his father left home), and he famously didnt have a telly, and hence no wish to appear on top of the pops

but there are others here who would know more
gersey
Known user

Post by gersey »

some lunatic described 'out of sight' as being similar to james brown material. unless there's a different james brown, that's solid mental
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

gersey wrote:some lunatic described 'out of sight' as being similar to james brown material. unless there's a different james brown, that's solid mental
No, that's 'Out Of Sight', released my James Brown in the early 60s.

I think my (and others) feelings on that particular Spiritualized song of the same name has been much discussed, but my point was that its a dreadful song, and not even 1% as good as JBs song.

'Lunatic'?

Cheers
roger plywood
Known user

Post by roger plywood »

ORBITAL wrote:Did you know that dave lee travis' head weighs the same as 3 medium sized grapefruits

i didn't know that at all, but i've heard that mike reid has the biggest left arm in britain.
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

jason has said that AG's "raw sound and sense of urgency" comes from a white stripes influence. it has always struck me as odd that he named a song on AG "rated x," which is also a song written by loretta lynn and covered by jacknmeg. I mean, the title has nothing to do with the subject matter of the song.....at least, not that I can tell.....it always seemed a little too blatant to me. I could be wrong though.
you are wrong!
at least about jason mentioning the white stripes anyway ...

the nme made a headline out of it, but when they printed an interview a week later it was jason saying 'maybe. not actually their music but that kids with guitars around their necks want to make music again', or something to the same effect. just so you know, i think insinuating that he was a fan of the white stripes is the nme's doing.
appledelphy
Known user

Post by appledelphy »

agreed grim66 got it wrong
grim66
Known user

Post by grim66 »

sorry I don't read the NME.

besides, my point wasn't the influence of AG. it was coincidence in song titles. thats all kids.....my bad.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

ok, I've got one: Number of times Jason has dressed up in a spacesuit for the press [as opposed to just for fun in the privacy of his own home]

1. For that picture on the front of some copies of Pure Phase and Lay back in the Sun. [By far the best]
2. For the front cover of the NME on the release of Ladies and Gents (he looked really terrible in this photo, and this was proably the last time Kate appeared in any press photos.
3. Strolling around Mount edna for the Out of Site Video.
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

I said
Starfish wrote: Angel Sigh contains a sample of The Electric Prunes "Luvin'".
In the whoosh (!) bit of the instrumental chorus they sampled that noise from the Prunes because Jason said Mark Refoy couldn't get the sound right on his guitar (he wasn't being nasty about it, I don't think, just looking for that exact sound, so he decided the best thing to do was just sample it)

Is this common knowledge or something?
No scepticism? No shock? No proof that it isn't true? No confirmation that it is?

I've been cradling this information for the last 13 or so years as something precious - and the moment I choose to share it, no-one cares.
appledelphy
Known user

Post by appledelphy »

Starfish wrote:Is this common knowledge or something?
No scepticism? No shock? No proof that it isn't true? No confirmation that it is?

I've been cradling this information for the last 13 or so years as something precious - and the moment I choose to share it, no-one cares.
information registered
but shock? not really
But if they had done it ten times or so then I guess the light in which I see spz would get a slightly different colour

u must share more info like this in 2017 or so
sly saxon
Known user

Post by sly saxon »

appledelphy wrote:
Starfish wrote:Is this common knowledge or something?

information registered
but shock? not really
But if they had done it ten times or so then I guess the light in which I see spz would get a slightly different colour

u must share more info like this in 2017 or so

Don't worry- I am extremely curious...not least because I thought I must have been the only person alive with a copy of the 'Prunes album I was going to get my record player out at the weekend (and dig out Lager Gilded Memories (sic), too) to try to spot the...thing (by the way, what a poor album "Get me to the World on time/I had too much to dream last night" is...The two title tracks, and "Are you loving me more but enjoying it less don't make up for the crime that is Tunaville trolley...doh!).
It's all happening!
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

clewsr wrote:ok, I've got one: Number of times Jason has dressed up in a spacesuit for the press [as opposed to just for fun in the privacy of his own home]

1. For that picture on the front of some copies of Pure Phase and Lay back in the Sun. [By far the best]
2. For the front cover of the NME on the release of Ladies and Gents (he looked really terrible in this photo, and this was proably the last time Kate appeared in any press photos.
3. Strolling around Mount edna for the Out of Site Video.
er i think there might be a fourth.....the wibbly wobbly front page of the nme, circa september 1992 in an interview to promote medication....i may of course be wrong as usual cant remember but maybe
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

Strictly speaking the Etna video suit isn't a spacesuit but rather a heat protection suit like the one pictured here http://www.lhrservices.com/fire_fightin ... y_suit.htm

Here's a new one
1 - number of SPZ song titles related to flatulence
Step into the breeze
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I stand corrected...twice...oh well, must try harder with the geek knowledge.

I wish I could think of anther song inspired by flatulence, but I think it could be the only one.

Howabout songs that do not explicitly mention the lord, jesus or drugs...dunno the answer, but it probably isn't that many