The Black Sessions 09/09/97

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

JPB
Known user

The Black Sessions 09/09/97

Post by JPB »

Got this on Ebay - thankfully for not much cash. It's supposed to be a session recorded in Paris but from what I can tell it's an adds and sods collection of live stuff with 'audience reaction' badly added between the tracks.

All of My Tears is from the radio session posted in the Gigs section of this board. Broken Heart sounds like it's ripped from the Albert Hall gig etc

Weird.
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

I have this gig. 1997-10-09??

Ever think that everything in 1997 sounded the same? My Paris Black Session has a guy talking in French over the top so I have no idea what he is saying. It is 1:07 long. How bout yours? You can really sell these things on ebay? Wow cool I should start doing that.

I need some gigs from 1996. I have Ohio. That was an amazing year.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I have heard a few stories like this before. Interesting...
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

i bought the black sessions a couple of years ago.

the cd had at least 1/3 less tracks than were listed on the back cover, and quality was poor. I sent mine back in the end. I'd advise anyone who see this to avoid, its not worth it.
good times
Known user

Post by good times »

i got that too. i downloaded it from soulseek but it's quality is not good. the last track was cop shoot cop i guess.

i'm searching the gig in which cop shoot cop and the desert part were played seperately. i think it's from 1996... because someone in this forum said cop shoot cop and the desert part were played seperately before ladies and gentlemen.. album was released.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

good times wrote:i got that too. i downloaded it from soulseek but it's quality is not good. the last track was cop shoot cop i guess.

i'm searching the gig in which cop shoot cop and the desert part were played seperately. i think it's from 1996... because someone in this forum said cop shoot cop and the desert part were played seperately before ladies and gentlemen.. album was released.
I've definately got a few downloads where Cop Shoot Cop is in 2 parts, but to the best of my recollection I only have 1 decent, CD quality recording and if my memorry serves me correctly I only have the end as an outro so I'm guessing I don't have the full gig. Don't have any CDs with me right now but I think it's a later gig than 1997.

Did the band not play some gigs after LAGWAFIS where the desert bit was used as an ending but the full song was never played? I have to confess I tend to skip Cop Shoot Cop when listening to mp3s, where the poor quality/bitrate just doesn't provide the dynamic range to do that epic tune justice.
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

I have the show you speak of. Ohio 1996.
I would be willing to trade for any other shows from 1996.
I think they were opening up for Neil Young. This show is only 5 tracks. Very good quality.

Dave
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

that would be the 'electricty' single live tracks then?
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Yes.

However, Cop Shoot Cop is not in two parts, but does have the "desert" outro that goes back into the noise.

Verse
Chorus
Verse
Chorus
Desert Part
Chorus
Noise

Then transitions nicely into "Shine a Light"...
good times
Known user

Post by good times »

i have the ohio gig. it comes with supplenmentary dosage. setlist should be something like that:

cop shoot cop
shine a light
electric mainline
all of my tears
take your time

that's the only gig i got from 96
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

Supplementary Dosage only comes with the first three songs.

I only really bought that EP for the X-files theme (bit of a disappointment, imho...) so I might have to give those live tracks another listen...
. . . heligoland . . .
29.11.07 mécanique ondulatoire, paris // 16.01.08 divan du monde, paris
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

"electric mainline" and "take your time" are great on it.

I like the version of "Shine A Light" because instead of building up to a crescendo near the end with the solos, it goes right into it right after the last verse with a bang.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

good times wrote: setlist should be something like that:

cop shoot cop
shine a light
electric mainline
all of my tears
take your time

With the Electricity CD singles, the first has "all of my tears" into "take your time" and the second has "cop shoot cop" into "shine a light" into "electric mainline".

I'm not sure if this is the complete set, but I know that "take your time" goes straight into "all of my tears".

Now do these two open or close the set? They are on the first of the CDs, which may not mean anything, but it is more logical that they open up the set...
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

New development (and my last post for today, I swear):

Glastonbury 2002 has the "desert" part of Cop Shoot Cop as an outro. It comes after "take me to the other side".

it's very nice.

So yeah, they did play the 'desert' part without the full song after LAGWAFIS...
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

Funny, I was listening to Take Me To The Other Side from that gig when I was getting ready for work this morning!
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

Yeah it's all about Glasto '02 version. I just listened to the whole thing, I was just checking the, "rev up" at the beginning the morning on my way to work. The versions of Take Me To The Other Side were pretty rad around this time..