Has anyone heard of...?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

sly saxon
Known user

Has anyone heard of...?

Post by sly saxon »

An outfit called Trans Am?

I heard a track on drugmusic called Divine Invasion, which...well: you know the outro of "I am A Walrus" by Beatles Band? That splendid peice of psych goes on and on, and the bassline/chord sequence builds and builds, to a massive tonal crescendo (but oddly without getting any higher, or much louder), and without end; all you are actually aware of is a kind of building hysteria. The Trans Am track has the same chord sequence(s), but sounds as though Hawkwind are playing it...(you will probably not get it, but you will gather I think it's sonic catnip)...they have a website with an mp3 of "Divine Invasion II", which has the same theme, but not as loud or as fast (and, therefore, not as good).

Has anyone heard of 'em? Is they shite otherwise? Do they even exist? Honestly, if this track is all they ever did, then they deserve knighthoods all round (see also Gravity Propulsion System).
It's all happening!
steven
Known user

Post by steven »

No I haven't but props for the mention of Hawkwind.
I'm listening to "The Church" right now and what an astonishing head-fuck it is.
Hard to believe how seldom they are mentioned here as to me they would seem to contribute a fair bit to the spiritualized gene pool.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I have a Spectrum poster for an American gig with Trans Am supporting. Can't tell you any more than that.
sly saxon
Known user

Post by sly saxon »

Aaah, so they are 'one of our's' then...I am always slightly sceptical about these bands you've never heard of - what if they turned out to be unsufferably naff?
It's all happening!
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

I saw Trans am last night at King tuts. They were supported by a band called Park attack who were pish. Think they were trying to achieve something somewhere between suicide and white stripes which sounds interesting enough but sounded bloody awful.
Think they came on (TRANS AM) and said they were from massacheusetts. They were excellent. I just dropped in there last night on the off chance of catchng a band and thats who it was.
The drummer is immense. MAinly instrumental stuff like SPz in parts never really hittin the troughs but stayin powerful right through. Interchanging between bassit and guitaist who also have keys in fron of them too. Lots of bleepin an squelching. with sweeping crescendos of guitar an boomin bass to lift it up. Well worth the 8 quid. THis is the longest post Ive ever done I think. Fuck.
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

Trans Am are OK. They're a largely instrumental outfit. They have a few albums that I really like. Future World is a good one, vaguely reminiscent of lowbudget Kraftwerk.
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

always the critic $26, i will do everything in my power for you NOT to hear my band. hee-hee.

xxxshonnxxx
Horrorflick
Known user

Post by Horrorflick »

always the critic $26, i will do everything in my power for you NOT to hear my band. hee-hee.

xxxshonnxxx
No shit! Considering how hard it is to be "authentic" these days, I'd rather shove my face into a nest of angry wombats than have $26 tell me what he thinks of my stuff...
ursa
Known user

Post by ursa »

thats actually kind of intriguing.
kind of like a game...he can tell us what we copied it from and we can tell him if he is right or not
[/url]www.rpmsoundlabs.com/subterraneans
i dont know if i did that right.
if not try my sig[/url]
i live on the bottom of the soul
appledelphy
Known user

Post by appledelphy »

I used to have a band called the subterraneans too!
ursa
Known user

Post by ursa »

hell.the way things are goin...you could have ben in this one..
i live on the bottom of the soul
burdman72
Known user

Post by burdman72 »

if you havent already done so then check out a band called Frontier, especially the album, live at the empty bottle, now that is immense!