toffe crisp

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

radioshack
Known user

toffe crisp

Post by radioshack »

what spiritualized song was used in the toffee crisp advert, or have I got this totally wrong?
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

If I Were With Her Now.

The advert went a long way to pay for Pure Phase.
stevie
Known user

Post by stevie »

It was "If I were with her now"
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Unfortunately you haven't got this one wrong. It was 'If I Were With Her Now'.

Bill Hicks would turn in his grave.

And quite rightly too. Toffee fuckin Crisp. Go on Jason, suck Satan's cock.
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

Beat you to it, friends! :)
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

Who cares, really? It's not like Jason's insanely wealthy now, is he? He's not exactly a media whore either. In a world packed full of goons like posh and becks who would advertise anything (walkers, channel five, pepsi, adidas, nike, jewellry), offering a little known album track to a British chocolate bar is hardly evil, is it? I'm sure he's the sort of person who would have thought it over a lot too. The fact that he put the money back into his music (pure phase-his best album) shows what his reasons were and where his priorities lay. In his almost 20 year career, how many adverts has his music appeared on? Two or three? Give him a break.
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Radioshack, what's the difference between Victoria Beckham taking cash from Walker's Crisps and Jason Pierce taking cash from Toffee Crisp?
stevie
Known user

Post by stevie »

Motive? Obviously at it's base the motive is money but some don't need the money and just want to exploit the the public recognition it could bring and for some it's just paying for an artistic ambition/house/average lifestyle.
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

I think what people are forgetting here is that toffee crisp is a quality chocolate bar (especially when you put them in the freezer). Hats off to the Spaceman. Mind you had he done the advert for milky bars or caramac I would have burnt all my SPZ records because they're rubbish.
SRvdL
Known user

Post by SRvdL »

Jasonsmith, I couldn't agree with you more.

I like toffees, I like crisps and I like Spiritualized, so have no problem with them being linked together.

And JP deserves more money than any ex Spice Girl.
fonadi
Known user

Post by fonadi »

and remember LAGWAFIS (the song) was used to promote the VW New Beetle. although, i don't think there is a problem with that. a re-invention of the 60's hippie car, and as jason is re-inventing the music of the 60's, it all makes sense. and it's not like anyone makes that much money off of t. Mogwai only got about 1000$ for letting levi's use one of thier songs in a super bowl ad.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Hey - lay off Caramac. I love those things or at least I used to as I haven't seen one around for a while. Even had a look for one today, but ended up with one of those little Kinder bars - delicious it was too.

You have a point about Milky Way, however, always thought they were overrated.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Caramac same as Caramilk?

Being the whore I am I will always buy Snickers since they gave me a free ticket to the World Cup final in Los Angeles in 1994. 10 years later and I still havent paid them back the $400 ticket price but i am still working on it. Maybe by 2014 :lol:
jess farr
Known user

Post by jess farr »

1000 bucks for a levi super bowl ad?
they got ripped!
tim from polyphonic spree got 75 grand for whatever commercial 'light and day' was in.
all the money for artists iis in publishing nowadays.
One Asian Under A Groove
Known user

Post by One Asian Under A Groove »

I think Mogwai got 10k for it - my friend Andrew is in The Remote Viewer, who did some programming on that song (Two Wrongs Make One Right, I think, from Rock Action), and he said that they got 10%, which was either $1000 or £1000. And Mogwai used their money to pay off record company bills anyway.
One Asian Under A Groove
Known user

Post by One Asian Under A Groove »

Or maybe it was 5%... anyway, I don't have a problem with bands that sell one song to balance the books, ultimately people have to make a living, and Jason or Mogwai are hardly comparable to Moby.
sly saxon
Known user

Post by sly saxon »

Can anyone tell me which Spiritualized song used the same chord sequence as Pachabel's Canon in D?

(everyone loves a smart arse...wait a minute - that's right isn't it?)
It's all happening!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

One Asian Under A Groove wrote:Or maybe it was 5%... anyway, I don't have a problem with bands that sell one song to balance the books, ultimately people have to make a living, and Jason or Mogwai are hardly comparable to Moby.
I would have to give this a gigantic WHO CARES?

It's their art and quite frankly I would rather hear LAGWAFIS, Coldplay or Moby than 90% of the other bullshit that is in commercials. They created and they have every right to make as much money as they can from it.

Except Mogwai. I hate them. :lol:
SRvdL
Known user

Post by SRvdL »

re: "They created and they have every right to make as much money as they can from it."

Exactly. And Jason is under no obligation to tell us what he spent it on. I don't care if he spent it on 'Pure Phase', a pair of new socks, nappies for his babies or maybe even lots of Toffee Crip bars.

Btw, I bought one today and it's quite a good bar. It can't compete with Doubledecker, but it's miles ahead of Twix and Crunchie. It also offers me a chance to "win £20.00 with Ian Wright" (whoever he is). Here are the details:
"You could score £20 cash, if you get a ring from Wrighty with one of our special footie chants. For your chance to win, enter the words 'chants8' and text it to 07797 800030 [...] No purchase necessary." Isn't that nice?
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

While we're on the subject Id like to raise my an objection to the new ludicrous ' Double Decker with nuts '
It takes a bar which I find is almost as near to choc bar perfection as can be achieved and royally fucks it up.
Lets leave the nuts where they belong i.e snickers, m'n'm's, underpants etc.
Cant believ they would feel the need to fanny about like this. C*nts
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
nasty
Known user

Post by nasty »

i was actually quite impressed with the addition of nuts myself.... i cant remember checking though whether these were used to replace the raisins, which can only lead to improvement as far as i am concerned.
appledelphy
Known user

Post by appledelphy »

yeah I love raisins (although too many make ya fart), but in chocolate bars? aaaaargh! :?
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

sly saxon wrote:Can anyone tell me which Spiritualized song used the same chord sequence as Pachabel's Canon in D?

(everyone loves a smart arse...wait a minute - that's right isn't it?)

altogether now by the farm
steven
Known user

Post by steven »

I had a horrible dream the other night where "Altogether Now" was the official England "song" for Euro2004 soccer-thingy.
Man what a nightmare,can you imagine if that were true...oh fuck...
10ent
Known user

Post by 10ent »

[quote="spzretent"]

Being the whore I am I will always buy Snickers

A Snickers was and always will be a Marathon. I always find it hard to ask for a Snickers these days - doesn't sound right!

To be honest i always kind of hoped that more people would discover the magic of Spiritualized on the back of the Toffe Crisp ad. What Spaceman fan wouldn't want other music fans to hear Lazer Guided Melodies?