Midlake

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Shinesalight
Known user

Midlake

Post by Shinesalight »

Bought their last album, Trials Of Van Occupanther, last week and have had it on heavy rotation since. Just bought tickets for thier gig in Brighton in April. Wondered what people thought of them on here, anyone going to their upcoming shows (Norm, Mark are you going to the Brighton show)? And is the first album worth getting, though I've heard its not like this one.
beddmoore
New user

Post by beddmoore »

Saw them last year supporting The Earlies in York. From what I remember they were pretty good. Have been getting rave reviews for their current album. I haven't got round to listening to them yet. Perhaps I will.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

*Bump*

Surely someone else has something else to add on Midlake?
candy-cane-girl
Known user

Post by candy-cane-girl »

I like them :)
ryandfl
Known user

Post by ryandfl »

Yeah, I love them right now--I bought their recent album the same day I bought the Brightblack Morning Light album, and they're probably 2 of my favorite releases of 2006.

I'm going to see Midlake tomorrow night at new venue in Washington DC. I'll let you know how it goes; from what I've read, their live performance is really tight, a little noisier than the record, and a little bit of a spectacle at times.
Alex English
Known user

Post by Alex English »

Is that the Rock n' Roll Hotel you are referring to? I am interested in what that venue is like. As luck would have it, Midlake and Brightblack are playing on the same night here in the Mile High City.
ryandfl
Known user

Post by ryandfl »

Listen, Midlake was fantastic live--a lot heavier and a much tougher sound. They played all of Van Occupanter except "You Never Arrived", they played "Baloon Maker" and "Some of Them Were Superstitious" from the earlier album, and there was one new song too.
If you liked Van Occupanther at all, I'd definitely recommend seeing them.

Rock & Roll Hotel: Great venue; pretty narrow, but it can hold a decent number of people, and the bar was pretty good too. The only problem is it's in a terrible area of town, and cabs are near impossible to find after midnight over there.

You're lucky Brightblack is even leaving the confines of the west coast long enough to make it to Colorado.