Funkadelic......

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Shaun
Known user

Funkadelic......

Post by Shaun »

One of my favourite 'bands' is Funkadelic. The first 3 albums are incredible and 'Free Your Mind......' is, out of those three, my favourite at the moment.

BZA recently reminded me how good a track called 'Miss Lucifer's Love' is, off 'America Eats Its Young' (don't they still do that, btw ?) Thanks Bazza for the nod as i'd not listened to that for too long.

If you love them or hate them or just prefer Parliament, let us know.

p/s.....Ads, have you bought 'Maggot Brain' yet ?
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

i really like there one nation under a grove album
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
Shinesalight
Known user

Re: Funkadelic......

Post by Shinesalight »

The Jig wrote:p/s.....Ads, have you bought 'Maggot Brain' yet ?
No, I've still not got round to getting that. Going to have to put that down on my things to buy list. Forgotten all about it to be honest.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

free your mind and maggot brain are fantastic! And just think they started in a barbershop! then they entered the slipstream.

Mark
Design.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

:D Ads I can't believe you have not got 'Maggot Brain' yet after us all raving about it...i'm sure at one point I claimed - maybe foolishly - that it was the best...thing...ever. [!]

I've only heard 'America Eats Its Young' very recently but it is amazing - much more arranged than the earlier albums yet still very loose - it's as near straight-up funk as i've hear them. But nothing about that album is straight...

'Miss Lucifer's Love' reminds me of Hendrix or something, its just really, really good :

Miss Lucifer's love
She's the devil, and I like it
Miss Lucifer's love
Ooh, her love is so exciting
Miss Lucifer's love
Don't you know she really grooves me

When she come
I'll be there to meet her
When she come
Don't you know I'm gonna stand up and greet her

Miss Lucifer's love
She's the devil and I like it
Ooh, her love is so exciting
Don't you she really groo-ooves me

When she come
I'll tell it on a mountain
When she come
I'll drink from her unholy fountain

Miss Lucifer's love
She's the devil and I like it
Miss Lucifer's love
Ooh, her love, it's so exciting
Miss Lucifer's love
Oooh, the girl she really grooves me

She just wants to satisfy...

"She's the devil and I like it"? I know what they mean.

'Free your mind...' is just a trippy, psychedelic head-fuck of an album isn't it - the first Funkadelic albums really hammer the the stereo movement to full disorientating effect!

And Parliament deserve a thread all by themselves.

Three cheers for President Clinton :idea:
O P 8
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

BzaInSpace wrote::D Ads I can't believe you have not got 'Maggot Brain' yet after us all raving about it...i'm sure at one point I claimed - maybe foolishly - that it was the best...thing...ever. [!]

'Free your mind...' is just a trippy, psychedelic head-fuck of an album isn't it - the first Funkadelic albums really hammer the the stereo movement to full disorientating effect!
Free Your Mind And Your Ass Will Follow is a superb album, a great head-fuck album. Friday Night, August 14th is really mind-bending and Hazel doesn't disappoint during that and throughtout this classic album.

Maggot Brain also bangs the brain about a fair bit too. From the best instrumental Funkadelic ever did that starts the album straight through to the brilliant closing track.

Maggot Brain, the best thing ever, after Free Your Mind And Your Ass Will Follow. Bernie Worrell......King of the Keyboards 8)

Ads. You need to buy all of the first 3 Funkadelic albums, and so does everyone else who ain't got them.
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

Their 1st album is the tits.
I love "Funky Dollar Bill" off of Free Your Mind.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

i just got back from the gym w/Maggot Brain in my CD walkman.
people must thought i was funky/nuts grooving to some of those choice tunes. :lol:
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

The Jig wrote:Ads. You need to buy all of the first 3 Funkadelic albums, and so does everyone else who ain't got them.
Cheers for the reminder Shaun. Will have a look in town over the weekend.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I've only recently got into this band.. just bought the 'Whole Funk and Nothing But The Funk' compilation of their later years, which has an excellent live version of Maggot Brain,

its good stuff, but the reason I got interested was hearing a song called 'Funky Dollar Bill' with lots of nice Hendrixy guitar.. which album should I buy for more like this please!!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Funky Dollar Bill is on Free Your Ass And Your Mind Will Follow.

Oops. just reread your post.
Last edited by spzretent on Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

it sounds like the first 3 albums are more like that. I was look at this discography this morning, and there is a comment on them:

http://www.duke.edu/~tmc/motherpage/dis ... delic.html

"GZ: These early Funkadelic albums are guitar dominated funky psychedelia, influenced in sound more by Hendrix than by Sly or James Brown. There are also connections to the Detroit rock scene of that time, Iggy and the Stooges, and the MC5. The vision is much darker than most '60s psychedelia, in that sense these albums owe much to Sly's Riot, and the Velvet Underground. These all make strong musical statements as entire albums. Singles highlights (that I recall this morning) "Mommy, What's A Funkadelic" from Funkadelic, the title tracks from Free Your Mind and Maggot Brain, and "Wars of Armageddon" from Maggot Brain."

Jig: I trust your opinions on these things, and have purchased said albums. Get the Funk on, etc.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

bought Maggot Brain on a whim one day, and was totally tuned by the time i'd listened to it. Maggot Brain is one helluva track!!!

Think i'll have to seek out more...
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

While the first 3 albums remain mighty, by the time 'America Eats Its Young' was released on Westbound things had changed. Clinton had realised more about production and Bootsy Collins was now on board. 'America Eats Its Young' is a great album but also experimental like say 'Funkadelic' might have been when that was released.

'Standing On The Verge Of Getting It On' is an album worth getting too, not just for the great tracks like, well all of them, but for the Hazel genius over the album.

Bza.....Clinton and Co at some point even did a version of 'Sunshine Of Your Love' which is full on.

Clewsr, i'm sure you'll be pleased you bought them. Let us hear what you think of them.

Angelsighs.....Buy the first 3 albums plus 'Standing On The Verge Of.....' and believe me, you will love 'Free Your Mind And Your Ass Will Follow'

spzretent, can imagine what that would be like listening to down the gym. Intense, crazy and a whole lot of fun

Get on the Funk.......Yep
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

If you ever get the chance to see Clinton live you have to go. Over 4 hours of funkin' madness...grown men in nappies, soul, funk, and rock'n'roll
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Just took the plunge and have returned from the shops with Maggot Brain. Have only heard the first 3 tracks so far but can't believe just how good this is. The opening track is just fucking amazing. Can see I'm going to be on mission to amass more of their albums now (think Free Your Mind... will be next).
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Ads wrote:Just took the plunge and have returned from the shops with Maggot Brain. Have only heard the first 3 tracks so far but can't believe just how good this is. The opening track is just fucking amazing. Can see I'm going to be on mission to amass more of their albums now (think Free Your Mind... will be next).

The opening track.... Eddie Hazel went into the recording studio and put that slice of guitar genius down in one take, so they say.

Good for you Ads and if you like that album then ''Free Your Mind.....'' is an absolute must for you.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

The Jig wrote: Angelsighs.....Buy the first 3 albums plus 'Standing On The Verge Of.....' and believe me, you will love 'Free Your Mind And Your Ass Will Follow'
I think I may just do that! From that quote clewsr posted, my compilation seems to be more geared towards the glossy disco-tinged material of the later years. I want some more of that far out sh*t!

In fact I see there's also a compilation of the early years called 'Motor City Madness'.. looks rather comprehensive for people like me on a budget!!
NarcoTerrorist
Known user

Post by NarcoTerrorist »

Don't miss "Hardcore Jollies" with the most rockin' version of "Comin' Round the Mountain" ever. Eddie's all over it, though he's not really credited on the album sleeve for some reason.

And DO NOT MISS the live Funkadelic album from 1971 whose title escapes me at the moment. Eddie is awesome as always and it's incredible how good the band sounds since they were trying out a new drummer (Tyrone Lampkin) that night.

And seek out "First Thangs" by Parliament on CD, which has the classic "Maggot Brain" lineup, but a very different sound. A bit slicker with some very funny novelty songs, yodelling and the mighty "Silent Boatman".

All the seventies P-Funk albums are great, even some of the late ones like "Electric Spanking of War Babies". I like the P-Funk albums with the original Parliaments on board best (up through about 1978, look for Fuzzy's name or absence thereof on the sleeve to be sure).

I've seen various versions of the Funk Mob over the years, with the very best (IMO) being Bootsy in 1991, with Gary Shider and Michael Hampton along for the ride. Stellar! Hampton does a damned fine "Maggot Brain" too (that's his version on the "One Nation Under a Groove" bonus 7")

The actual P-Funk All-Stars weren't that great the night I saw them. It seemed to be just an endless medley with a kind of so-so groove. Fuzzy sometimes tours with his own version of P-Funk called "The Original P", though I don't think they're doing that any more. They were pretty good actually and featured some of the singers' offspring as well, in cluding Grady Thomas's son, who does a pretty mean version of "Maggot Brain" himself. Bernie Worrell's "Woo Warriors" put on a good show too with many classic P-Funk cuts thrown in. Bernie is (IMO) a Sun-Ra-level keyboard genius.

In a later post we can talk about Fuzzy's two solo albums and the very strange and occasionally wonderful Ruth Copeland albums which featured the classic lineup behind a British singer-songwriter who was married to one of the presidents of Invictus.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

NarcoTerrorist wrote: the very strange and occasionally wonderful Ruth Copeland albums which featured the classic lineup behind a British singer-songwriter who was married to one of the presidents of Invictus.

And that super version of 'Gimme Shelter', Eddie really rocking out on that one plus Bernie Worrell kicking ass on the keys.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Parmenator-X wrote:
And DO NOT MISS the live Funkadelic album from 1971 whose title escapes me at the moment. Eddie is awesome as always and it's incredible how good the band sounds since they were trying out a new drummer (Tyrone Lampkin) that night.

One of my all time favourite Live albums that one. Live @ Meadowbrook, Rochester, Michigan 1971.

Just cut and pasted this...

....''Basically, this was probably the worst night possible to record the band. Drummer Tiki Fulwood had just quit the week before, and rhythm guitarist Tawl Ross had also departed around that time. So Harold Beane and Ty Lampkin were brought in to play, **with no rehearsal**, for this gig! Both ended up staying with the group, with Lampkin playing a major role for years to come. However, on this particular night, he had severe problems fitting in. Tiki's drumming style emphasized groove and pocket. Ty, who had been the house drummer for the Apollo Theater, was flashier and jazzier. As a result, he sounded completely out of synch with the rest of the band, annoying and frustrating everyone. Even George came flat out and said, "Bear with us, we have a new drummer, Tyrone." Towards the end, Billy Bass was so frustrated trying to keep him under control, he walked off!''

It is still brilliant though and the highlight for me isn't 'Maggot Brain', despite it being magnificent with Hazel blizting his way through, but it is 'All Your Goodies Are Gone' and it floors me everytime. Great album but not that easy to get hold of.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

PARLIAFUNKADELICMENT

Post by BzaInSpace »

The Jig wrote:
NarcoTerrorist wrote: the very strange and occasionally wonderful Ruth Copeland albums which featured the classic lineup behind a British singer-songwriter who was married to one of the presidents of Invictus...
And that super version of 'Gimme Shelter', Eddie really rocking out on that one plus Bernie Worrell kicking ass on the keys...
Ruth Copeland - I think that version might just beat the original!
Depends what time of the night you hear it I believe!
But the drums are exceptional - and the way it sl i d e s into the end before kicking back again... Tremendous stuff. Thanks again to Jig for that one, and not even mentioning the mighty PARLET.
O P 8