spiritualized?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

bunnyben
Known user

spiritualized?

Post by bunnyben »

do you see them as a band or j's solo project... how much drive/creativity do you think the rest of the 'band' offer?
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

Pretty much J. Spaceman and Current Associates.
Willie B. and Mark Refoy definately had influence (or so it seems).
Kate's contributions were playing the same 2 keys repeatedly.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Spiritualized seems to be more of a band to me back when it was J, Mark, Jon, Will and Kate. I think "Sway" is the only song J's co-written (with Mark), Cop Shoot Cop notwithstanding. J seems to be doing more stuff on his own these days outside of Spiritualized. Where's the new LP? Reckon Sonic's will appear first.
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

It's definetely J's band. Most of the people that join know that. As I mentioned earlier, one of the most telling aspects of this is how reeled in Doggen's lead guitar playing is--there's none! In Brain Donor, he's pretty much front and centre for quite awhile, and Kev also takes quite a centre stage role, as well.

I like the "band" the most during the LAGWAFIS period.....i'm guessing that they added quite a bit to the mix. That might be why that album is the way it is--I don't think that they were ever as good before or after--and it's sorta like Mick Taylor in the Stones: he arguably added alot to the sound and arguably too much for Keith and Mick for their egos to handle.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

natty wrote: J seems to be doing more stuff on his own these days outside of Spiritualized. Where's the new LP? Reckon Sonic's will appear first.
The race is on...unless all the chatter flying is around about Sonic's is just pr/speculation, I think the new Spectrum one sounds a bit more interesting. However whatever happens I think we've got a better chance of seeing a decent promo tour from spaceman...since I don't live in London or the US!

What a treat it would be if both appeared around the same time though...lots of fodder for informed debate.

Good call on Mick Taylor and the Stones, by the way - he added something they needed to take the music forwards...deserves more recognition methinks.

Dunno if it applies to Spz the same, especially the Acoustic Mainlines stuff - Doggen is clearly a gifted muso and listening to/watching the subtle way he blended those beautiful Rhodes textures in with Jason's guitar looked very much like a collaboration effort to me. Fair enough Jason wrote the string parts via a dictaphone and the person who translated them into a score, but I doubt the same method would have worked for the piano lines Doggen played.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

J needs to get Ray Dickaty back.
Along with everyone else from the LAGWAFIS Tour.