Mastered skips & Lazer Guided Melodies

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

twentysixdollars
Known user

Mastered skips & Lazer Guided Melodies

Post by twentysixdollars »

Time for another of my intermittent posts of late. This time I must admit I'm curious about a Spiritualized-related issue that isn't the mysterious June studio release. (On that matter by the way I'm beginning to suspect there isn't one. It's five weeks away and there's been no promotion. Sounds like an error of that particular obscure Canadian website. And remember how right I was about Amazing Grace? Even after it was released officially I thought it was a hoax. I still think it is.)

Elsewhere someone mentioned that the twelve-track reissue is the one most commonly available in North America at the moment. Of course the burning question is: does this 'new' issue (which probably dates from the 2000 mid-price reissue series) have the Angel Sigh mastered skip?

It just occured to me how common these sorts of mistakes are. Taang!, while admittedly among the world's worst labels (their Perfect Prescription CD might as well contain nothing but silence and tape hiss), still surprised me when I read that some of their recent reissues apparently have factory-fresh scratches on Ode to Street Hassle. This is intriguing, given all the effort they put in to fixing the sequencing by eliminating the silence between Ecstasy and Transparent Radiation and linking the tracks. I bought my Taang! disc in 1999 and it has no skips but it definitely buggers track spacing by splitting them including that silence. Clearly someone else might have a copy with my set of problems and not the other?

And I can think of several other examples, some on legitimate labels. The 2002 version of Status Quo's Picturesque Matchstickable Messages (a rather mediocre album by the way; the title track is good of course, but most of the album sounds like a parody of contemporary British psychedelia. My mind is this! Her face is there! My mind and her face everywhere! Amps that go to eleven indeed.) have the same problem on, unfortunately, the disc's best track! (A bonus stereo mix of Pictures of Matchstick Men). I'm not sure if the new 2-disc set fixes this, since the song (to say nothing of the album) isn't good enough for me to buy a second copy.

The earliest CD versions of Van Morrison's A Sense of Wonder (another dreary effort) had a skip towards the end of Tore Down a La Rambaud - the only charting single!

Any other salient examples?
Juzba
Known user

Post by Juzba »

yes sirree

I got a copy of the first Warlocks album a year or so ago, which has numerous skips on the last track, can't tell you how annoying it is. I mailed it back to the online record store selling it, and they switched it for free of course, but the new one came with the exact same skips, so it has to a problem with the mastering. My copy is the Bomp -version.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

not releated to CD releases, but i have seen with my own eyes MTV show "Alternative Nation" skipping with SP3 video "Big City". obviously someone behind the mixingdesk felt it was too long for MTV.
i'm talking about MTV Europe.
but maybe they had a problem with timing the show, anyway, real bloody mess.