Top ??? & Favourite Guitar Solos.

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Shaun
Known user

Top ??? & Favourite Guitar Solos.

Post by Shaun »

Very quickly, but what's your favourite guitar solos ? Top 5, 10, 20, 50 guitar solos ? Top guitar solos from whatever decade ? Top guitar solo ever heard at a gig ? The most heart rendering solo you've ever heard ?

'Maggot Brain' is in my Top 50 at least, as too is Eric Clapton's and Jeff Healy's solo in 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' and also Jimmy Page in 'Since I've Been Loving You'.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

i love neil young's like a hurriacane solo at the moment
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

Hendrix - Tax Free
Hendrix - Midnight

smoke some DMT and sit back with both of those.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

judas priest - beyond the realms of death

never been keen on clapton/guitar gently weeps. prince, obviously, slays it on that harrison/vh1 tribute though. search youtube for it. it's a must see. melts claptons face.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
Spamuel L. Jackson

Post by Spamuel L. Jackson »

townshend's 12 string block chord solo on "I Can't Explain".
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

bunnyben wrote:i love neil young's like a hurriacane solo at the moment
Other people on here might be surprised to read this (but i think i've mentioned Hurricane to ya before), but if it's a particular Live version, then i second that.

jack white wrote:never been keen on clapton/guitar gently weeps. prince, obviously, slays it on that harrison/vh1 tribute though. search youtube for it. it's a must see. melts claptons face
I've seen the 'youtube' video you refer to, not sure it melts Slowhands face though. Sure it's superb and i love it, but i love that version by Clapton just as much. Possibly Jeff Healy does the definative version though.

And another that's worth a big mention is the incredible Alvin Lee playing 'Help Me' and that version off the 'Live at The Fillmore' album, now that does rock.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

The Jig wrote:Other people on here might be surprised to read this (but i think i've mentioned Hurricane to ya before), but if it's a particular Live version, then i second that.
Blimey....I'm speechless. Never thought I'd hear you admiting that in public! :wink: For God's sake check out some of his other stuff if you like that track.

As for guitar solos, yeah Maggot Brain HAS to be up there, even if I am a new comer to that whole sound. I think Doggen's slide guitar on some of the live versions of Shine A Light deserve a mention. Some of my other fave guitar solo's include John Squire's efforts on Tears & Resurrection and THE MAN Neil Young on Hurricane, Down By The River, Cowgirl In The Sand, Dangerbird, Southern Man (I could go on!).
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

Buffalo Springfield - Mr Soul (Neil Young)
Byrds - 5D (Roger McGuinn)/Tulsa County (Clarence White)
Eno - Baby's On Fire (whatsisname)
Grant Green - Jean de Fleur
Richard Hell - Love Comes in Spurts (Robert Quine)
Love - A House Is Not a Motel (Johnny Echols/Arthur Lee)
MC5 - Looking At You (Wayne Kramer)
New York Dolls - Chatterbox (Johnny Thunders)
Sonny Rollins - Without a Song (Jim Hall)
Television - Adventure (Richard Lloyd)/Marquee Moon (Tom Verlaine)
Verve - Gravity Grave/This Is Music (Nick McCabe)
Last edited by twentysixdollars on Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Last edited by Multi on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

This is going to sound really fucking cheesy....

BUT...

my favorite guitar solo is Led Zeppelin's "Good Times Bad Times."

Sadly, it's just so fucking good. Amazingly powerful. God-sent. Lovely.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Slash playing the Godfather Theme is an incredibe piece of work and sound.

Here he's showing Argentina how it's done.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW09oMknOuA

And if he could actually see what he was doing it might be even better.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

bunnyben wrote:i love neil young's like a hurriacane solo at the moment
Yep. I love the solo on "Down By the River" too. Only 3 notes. Genius.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

toomilk wrote:This is going to sound really fucking cheesy....

BUT...

my favorite guitar solo is Led Zeppelin's "Good Times Bad Times."

Sadly, it's just so fucking good. Amazingly powerful. God-sent. Lovely.
Good call mate!

I'll chuck a joker into the pack - Captain Sensible's guitar work on The Damned's Machine Gun Etiquette is criminally underrated.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I second- Like A Hurricane (live version on Weld.. holy shit!), Marquee Moon, Since I've Been Loving You (where Page gets the balance right between technique and emotion), Maggot Brain...

And add:

Jimmy's solo version of White Summer on Led Zep DVD

Stone Free by Hendrix (Live version at The Filmore just tears out of the speakers)

Ten Storey Love Song by the Stone Roses (perfectly melodic and charming)

Ride- Like A Daydream, or Dreams Burn Down

Cygnus.. Vismund Cygnus- The Mars Volta

Anything where Nick McCabe lets fly

My answers are a little bit 'trad-rock', but I think traditional rock bands are gonna be better at this sort of thing, where the solo really stands out and can be identified as such. (difference between guitar solo's and instrumental breaks- discuss). I can't stand Clapton though.
Spamuel L. Jackson

I seriously hate any version of "While My Guitar..." that isn't George's Kinfauns demo. Partly cos of those effing solos.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

My love for Floyd is forever and i'll give you my claim to shame, 'Comfortably Numb' is not my favourite guitar solo of all time, but it's class. I saw them way back and i'd smoked so much bad ass blow before the gig (and during) that by the start of the song i was seriously fighting off a total black-out. I was incredibly pale, feverish, sweating loads and virtually tripping. Then during that solo i swear i could feel my soul running down those strings with every note, it's never been as intense as that since.

And also Gilmour's workout on 'Echoes' is outstanding too. Blissful.

p/s... I love 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps'
Spamuel L. Jackson

The Jig wrote:p/s... I love 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps'
I love George's demo.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

do you ever find that sometimes gutair solos ruin songs?
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

bunnyben wrote:do you ever find that sometimes gutair solos ruin songs?
this has something to do with Yngwie Malmsteen, right?? :twisted:
Spamuel L. Jackson

"While My Guitar Gently Weeps"? Haha!

I always dig when a musician can say way more in much less time. Alex Chilton is great at that. He'll always be acer to me as a guitarist than dudes like Page and Clapton.

Same reasons why the 9+ minutes of Oasis' "All Around The World", with its endless chorus repeats and for-dummies keychanges, will always mean nothing next to the not even 2 full minutes of modulation and harmonic otherworldliness that Brian Wilson called "This Whole World". One is a fifth as long as the other, but makes you feel like you've been taken round the stars and back in a few blinks of an eye. Image The other has nothing at all to say, but deceives with protracted self-flattery.
Last edited by Spamuel L. Jackson on Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

Spamuel L. Jackson wrote:the not even 2 full minutes of modulation and harmonic otherworldliness that Brian Wilson called "This Whole World"...makes you feel like you've been taken round the stars and back in a few blinks of an eye.
I gotta tell ya, your bullshit is making some wonderful music sound deeply unpalatable.
Spamuel L. Jackson

twentysixdollars wrote:I gotta tell ya, your bullshit is making some wonderful music sound deeply unpalatable.
Glad you like it, buddy. I edited it slightly to make it even more bullshitty for ya. I LOVE all your posts too btw. Bullshit knows good bullshit when it smells it.

EDIT: haha, "stars and back" does sound like an excerpt from a Super Ted voiceover, but I'm fucked if I got words for that shit. You got anything more florid, poindexter?
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

I don't think it does. Eddie Van Halen's solo on Michael Jackson's 'Beat It' makes a great song even better.
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

Oh man, where do I start? I must be mellowing (or just getting plain busy!)--in years past, I would have written a ten million word essay. For the top solo, it's tough to beat "Stairway...", man. Or maybe "November Rain", or somethin' like the solo from "Bohemian Rhapsody" or somethin'.....
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

I think Jeff Buckley's guitar noodlings between the vocals on Hallelujah are an innovative use of guitar soloing to good effect.

For straight out trad rock'n'roll there's too much to choose from by Hendrix though I generally prefer the parts of his songs where his playing and vocals interact.

David Gilmour's soaring work on Comfortably Numb is pretty much the epitome of a conventional solo.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

Pretty much every Clapton solo from the Derek & The Dominos Live at the Fillmore record. Yowsers.

And one from left field - I'm really getting into B&S's The Life Pursuit at the moment, and the decidedly non-twee solo at the end of We Are The Sleepyheads is a real winner. Where they pulled that from is anybody's guess.

The gorgeous solo at the end of Lay It Down Slow (I think someone here once rather erroneously described it as a Chris Rea guitar moment?) will always remain one of my favourites - one of the highlights from AG.
. . . heligoland . . .
29.11.07 mécanique ondulatoire, paris // 16.01.08 divan du monde, paris
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Solos?

King Contrary Man - The Cult
Overkill - Motorhead
Drivin' South - Hendrix
Damage Inc - Metallica

, and of course Freebird - Lynyrd Skynyrd (ha ha!)

I forgot Axis Bold as Love - hendrix (it really should last a lot longer!)
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

veiko wrote:
this has something to do with Yngwie Malmsteen, right?? :twisted:

to be honest... i don't know who that is
KevW
Known user

Post by KevW »

It's not particulary technical or mind blowing but I love the solo in Uncertain Times by The Raveonettes.

In fact the Raveonettes just have fantastic guitar all the time!

In fact have a butchers at my myspace page

http://www.myspace.com/beatcrusader

I've got Untamed Girls up on there which is one of my fave ever solos too.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Guitar Onanism

Post by BzaInSpace »

Guitar Solos!!! It's good to be back! :D

I see 26$ mentions Love - the first one that sprung to mind here is the fantastic guitar that fades out the immortal 'Your Mind and We Belong Together' - genius!
A bit like Hendrix which would neatly lead to the multitracked spacerock soloing on '1983'. Wow...

I'll always love Kurt's solos in Nirvana - anti-noodling to full effect! Technically probably unimpressive, but fuck, no one else could pull them off like that. See 'Serve the Servants' for starters - it's like BAAM!

I love Kerry King's solos for Slayer - they just blow your head clean off!

Whoever plays the mutes solos on JJ Cale's records - might be JJ himself sometimes. Lovely.

I like the guitar solos on Royal Trux - loose! And what about the Stooges minimal style bursts of guitar energy? What about Lou 'Crazy' Reed's white light/white heat on 'I heard her call my name'? TUNE!

Oh yeah, Clapton. He's not the messiah...

I remember seeing footage - might have been George Harrison's Bangladesh concert - where they play '...Guitar gently weeps' with Clapton as 'guest'. He goes on and on and on..and says nothing. NOTHING. Its one horrible moment for live music and the epitome of putrid watered-down blues-esque wankery. As far away from rock as Gareth Gates. Sorry Gareth...
To be fair to Clapton he was probably wasted at the time but even so... the start of a million fucking jam-bands started there. Truly awful.

On a brighter Beatles note, the solo on 'Taxman' which I believe was Paul. Mental.
O P 8
Gruff
Known user

guitar solos

Post by Gruff »

1. Zappa: What's New in Baltimore or Watermelon in Easter Hay (guitar version)

It would have to be Zappa at no 1 for me. I think his hornpipe overthe top blues/rock solos are unmatchable for the whole 'it's rock n roll and it's played f***ing loud and hard' thing. Just fabulous-and he's never mentioned in the 'top guitarists of all time' type polls whihc is criminal to my mind.

2. John Renbourn. I'm gonna have to cop out on this one-anything he plays seems just like sticking a Baroque V2 rocket up a guitar and playing. I am so envious of anyone who can fingerpick well.

3. Dimebag Darrell. The closing of the sabbath song 'Caravan from far beyond driven/the close of 'Floods' (where it is does the oppostie of ruining the song-it makes a truely hideous song worth listening to-or a tleast worth skipping through...)/The Great SOuthern Trendkill solo. I love the fact that DImebag is essentialy a blues guitarist playing like a metal shredder.

4. Slash-live version from Paris on UYI tour of 'Double Talkin' Jive. Sums up everything good about playing straight guiatr lines-no p***ing around with anything flashy-just play it hard n fast.

5. Joe Satriani. I love the trem picking leading to tapping bit in 'Why' oh, and Satch Boogie, of course.

6. Good ol' Spz noisey bits. Don't care who plays em or what bit they contribute but 'Amazing Grace (peace on earth)' I think is fabbo.

7. Mark Ribot. Could choose anything again really. fantastic

8. John Mclaughlin. I like his hendrix with jazz style bits on Miles' records. Less keen on Shakti but love the odd burst of that.

9. Nearly forgot-Antonio FOrchione. I heard him live and he is just AMAZING. it sounds like prtentious tripe but he actually played the whole instrument-the nut, the bridge, the backboard, the neck, the machine heads. Just incredible-he sorta played the drums on his guiatr with his little finger and thumb while doign some crazy fingerpicking and sliding around with his other hands. let alone also tuning/detuing the guiatr the whole time as well as adding in the strings above the bridge as actual tuned notes-not just a little 'oh I'll play these bits here cos it'll sound so crazy man' but actually worked in with, oh dare I say it, genious? Unfortunately I bought a CD of his and it was rubbish to my ears really-it missed all that zing he had live. I guess when it's a studio recording your ear hears it as multitracking etc. oh well. do see him live though!
When the hand points to the moon only the fool looks at the finger
Shaun
Known user

Re: Guitar Onanism

Post by Shaun »

BzaInSpace wrote:Oh yeah, Clapton. He's not the messiah...
I think we all kind of know that anyway.
BzaInSpace wrote:I remember seeing footage - might have been George Harrison's Bangladesh concert - where they play '...Guitar gently weeps' with Clapton as 'guest'. He goes on and on and on..and says nothing. NOTHING. Its one horrible moment for live music and the epitome of putrid watered-down blues-esque wankery. As far away from rock as Gareth Gates. Sorry Gareth...
To be fair to Clapton he was probably wasted at the time but even so... the start of a million fucking jam-bands started there. Truly awful.
That's a bit unfair to Clapton isn't it !! If anything you should be pointing the finger at George, i'm sure it would have been him that asked his mate to 'guest' for that gig. And i'm pretty sure he would of known he'd be wasted as well.

BzaInSpace wrote: Guitar Solos!!! It's good to be back! :D
Yeah, good to see you back 8)
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

The Jig wrote:That's a bit unfair to Clapton isn't it !! If anything you should be pointing the finger at George, i'm sure it would have been him that asked his mate to 'guest' for that gig. And i'm pretty sure he would of known he'd be wasted as well.
<devil's advocate>

Didn't he do all his best stuff when he was wasted anyway....? ;)

</devil's advocate>
. . . heligoland . . .
29.11.07 mécanique ondulatoire, paris // 16.01.08 divan du monde, paris
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

The Jig wrote:
That's a bit unfair to Clapton isn't it !! If anything you should be pointing the finger at George...
It is. Sorry Eric. I can't help but think of some quotes about Eric that originated from the twisted mind of Peter Cook as goaded by Chris Morris.

And thanks by the way Jig. :wink:

Here another solo that I rate very highly - Pete Cosey tearing it up to the year 3000 in the opening sequence of 'Agharta' by Miles. That is some serious craziness.
O P 8
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

ash wrote: Didn't he do all his best stuff when he was wasted anyway....?

I think you might be right about that Ash. Maybe most, but not all... 8)
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Manfred Mann.......The blistering solo in 'Father Of Day, Father Of Night' on the 'Live In America' album, superb. Rock On.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

The Jig wrote: And another that's worth a big mention is the incredible Alvin Lee playing 'Help Me' and that version off the 'Live at The Fillmore' album, now that does rock.
Does anyone else have this track/album? Anyone else even heard it? It's got an incredible 9 minute guitar solo and for fans of the great guitar solo, this is a must hear song. I'll certainly add it to another comp if anyone is interested.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

The Jig wrote:
BzaInSpace wrote:Oh yeah, Clapton. He's not the messiah...
That's a bit unfair to Clapton isn't it !! If anything you should be pointing the finger at George, i'm sure it would have been him that asked his mate to 'guest' for that gig. And i'm pretty sure he would of known he'd be wasted as well.
Yeah mates.Llike Dylan(sorry Duppy) who wouldn't confirm or deny his appearance until the show was half over. That part of Concert For Bangladesh infuriates me no end. But Billy Preston nearly spontaneously combusting more than makes up for it.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)