Most popular Spz tracks - as voted by the board

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

JPB
Known user

Most popular Spz tracks - as voted by the board

Post by JPB »

1. Shine a Light
2. Ladies and Gentlemen we're floating in space
3. The slide song
4. I think I'm in love
5. Don't just do something
6. Medication
7. Spread your wings
8. Feel so sad
9. Cop shoot cop
10. Let it flow
11. Angel sigh
12. Broken heart
13. Come together
14. Do it all over again
15. If i were with her now
16. Going down slow
17. Take your time
18. Cool waves
19. Stay with me
20. Cheapster
21. Out of sight
22. lay back in the sun
23. Lord let it rain
24. Sway
25. Won't get to heaven
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Thanks for doing that, JPB.

I can't argue with number 1 - it's probably my favourite, especially live.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

pretty predictable (though wholly merited) 1 & 2. nice seeing slide song and spread your wings crack the top 10.
also sweet seeing sway and if i were with her now getting lots of love.
and thanks for doing this! though i'd be lying if i said making my ten wasn't one of the most painful exercises of the year thus far :p
gonna burn brightly
for a while
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

The pain of These Blues not being in the top 10 has hurt me on every level!
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

jack white wrote: also sweet seeing sway and if i were with her now getting lots of love.
If I Were With Her Now is a beautiful song.

I think for its title alone it'll get votes - as I'm sure it reminds us fellas of someone special.
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

Don't just do something in the top 10? That was the surprise for me.
Max's Self Is Steam
Known user

Post by Max's Self Is Steam »

Interesting to see The Slide Song at #3. Entirely deservedly so, though.
Zenchan
Known user

Post by Zenchan »

High-five to everyone who voted for the slide song :P
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

Yep, mad props (whatever that is) to whoever helped get The Slide Song in the top 3. Don't Just Do Something at #5 is a suprise, but aside from that, it's a pretty good top ten. Thought Broken Heart would've been up there, though.

Cheers, JPB!
. . . heligoland . . .
29.11.07 mécanique ondulatoire, paris // 16.01.08 divan du monde, paris
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

Oh, and that reminds me - off topic, but did anyone see the top 30 Smiths songs in this month's Uncut? Yes, I know that these polls are designed to create argument and debate rather than be a true reflection, however you'd think they could've squeezed Ask in there somewhere...

Maybe they'll do a spz top 30 one of these days...
. . . heligoland . . .
29.11.07 mécanique ondulatoire, paris // 16.01.08 divan du monde, paris
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

out of sight BELOW cheapster??

wtf!!!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Interesting.. Cheapster is the most popular AG track, and good to see Going Down Slow getting some props.

The top 10 is pretty impeccable, I agree with pretty much all of it except medication
KevW
Known user

Post by KevW »

angelsighs wrote:Interesting.. Cheapster is the most popular AG track, and good to see Going Down Slow getting some props.

The top 10 is pretty impeccable, I agree with pretty much all of it except medication
That surprised me too.

Can't complain at any of that. Although personally I'd have Going Down Slow a bit higher.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

nice job! interesting to see what songs people find the best choice.
think im in love was a surprise.

cheers,

Mark
Design.
KevW
Known user

Post by KevW »

Hold on...

No Anyway That You Want Me!??
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Hold on...

well technically its not his song.. but he does a wonderful cover. but the evie sands version that was posted here is delicious :)

cheers,

Mark
Design.
KevW
Known user

Post by KevW »

MODLAB wrote:
Hold on...

well technically its not his song.. but he does a wonderful cover. but the evie sands version that was posted here is delicious :)

cheers,

Mark

That had crossed my mind.

Not heard Evie's version. Is the link still about anywhere? I'm guessing hers was the demo from which the Troggs took their version?
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

how many top tens did you receive, out of interest?

I forgot to vote but Shine A Light would've been my no.1.

although my vote for Going Down Slow might have nudged it up a bit...

good work though!
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

32 reponses. I think I'm in Love started as the clear winner but was slowly caught by the eventual top three.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

#2 Ladies and Gentleman We are Floating in Space

I've never considered that an actual song, more of a welcoming committee...you know...along the lines of "c'mon in, please sit down as the shows about to begin".

Has anybody ever played there LAGWAFIS album on shuffle and enjoyed that track...perhaps after Broken Heart and before Electricity?

I just don't understand how it can stand out as a track on its own...for me it will always be a gentle entrance to Come Together.

Good job JPB by the way...I didn't partake because my brain is fcuked enough and i would have sent...shit i'll do it now...just to prove to myself*A

1. Born Never Asked*B
2. Sway
3. Take your time
4. Electricity
5. Spread your wings
6. Feel like goin home
7. These Blues
8. Angel Sigh
9. Shine a light
10. Hold on

...or something like that
*A...that my brain is fcuked
*B...true, what i've said above could be applied to this track!
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

I agree as a song in it's recorded format 'Ladies and Gentlemen...' isn't something that stands out, especially without the Elvis lyrics...in the context of the album however it makes for a brilliant introduction and build to the mighty 'Come Together', but even live on Acoustic Mainlines I think it needed 'Anything More' to make it a rounded track combo.

I'm surprised 'I Think I'm in Love' isn't a couple of places higher, and the low position of 'Come Together' is surprising for such a bulldozing monster that combines elegantly arranged, yet highly charged chord progressions with the clever lyricism that contrasts with the deceptively simple title.

I can't believe 'These Blues' isn't up there, but I'm pleased to see 'Going Down Slow' and 'Cheapster' in there...I don't really understand why folks would think 'Cheapster' ought not to be so high, personally I think it's the best song he's written/released/recorded since the 'Ladies and Gentlemen...' album.

I'm surprised 'Take Your Time' made it in at all as an album track (I look forward to hearing the alt mix on 'Blue on Blue' especially considering the superb alt mixes of 'I Want You' on Friendly Fire...how they never came out at the time amazes me) as whilst it's probably my favourite live track, I think the LGM version is one of the few (reletively) weak links on that album.

No surprise 'Anyway You Want Me' is missing...one listen to Evie Sands and it just loses impact. Although it's high I'd have expected 'Medication' to come higher, I'll not bore folks as to why the Pure Phase version is the best, even beating live renditions, but it's a defining Spz song the same way 'Shine a Light' is, although as limited to official releases the latter didn't make my top ten..

Thinking back on my choices I would have liked to see 'Pure Phase Tones for DJs' in there, because the sound is so...y'know - Spiritualized.

Thanks to the lad who spent time compiling this list - it's a really interesting reflection of fans' opinion I think, as opposed to casual Spz listeners.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

I'm surprised "I think I'm in Love" is in the top 10. I think "Ladies & Gentlemen...the album" is overrated.

My 2¢ is that "Take Your Time" holds up much better than "I think I'm in Love" over time.
I agree the live versions are far more powerful but the album version is solid, whereas "I think I'm In Love" is like a novelty song to me.

thanks JPB.
I tried to make a list but found 6 different songs vied for #1, so it was too hard.
One of them was "electric Mainline".
Anyone else for Electric Mainline?
Sure it's simple but it's great.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

I think 'I Think I'm in Love' is one of the strongest tracks on that album, in particular the bassline is superb, plus the 'call & response' lyrics show another side of Jason's lyrical progression, similar to the clever lyrical technique used to good effect on 'Come Together' and really explored on 'Out of Sight'.

I tend to agree now that LAGWAFIS is sometimes overrated, and 'Let it Come Down' and 'Amazing Grace' grossly underrated. However it was the anticipation of a close friend regarding the release of LAGWAFIS and my exposure to it will mean it always has a special place in terms of coming across a musical epiphany. I loved the avenue of musical exploration I took advantage of, and whether it be the the chilled vibes of LGM or the magnificence of the mighty 'Pure Phase' then onto SM3 and PK's various works, I will always have a soft spot for LAGWAFIS.

Likewise I love the contrast between the production perfection of 'Let it Come Down' and the raw quality of 'Amazing Grace' which has specific production merits of it's own, albeit slightly different, but not as different as some folks seem to think.

As for top songs I'd take early live versions of 'Shine a Light' or the raucous development of live renditions of 'Take Your Time' - the definitive version on record being the 'Electricity' ep, I think...far surpassing the LP version.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

mojo filters wrote:...or the raucous development of live renditions of 'Take Your Time' - the definitive version on record being the 'Electricity' ep, I think...far surpassing the LP version.
I've said it before...but once again...Amen.
Spamuel L. Jackson

Post by Spamuel L. Jackson »

My single fave Spiritualized is "On Fire"...guessing it wouldn't have made a dent on that list.

I've a mind to PM JPB to ask his system for scoring it and go start a Spacemen one.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Spamuel L. Jackson wrote:My single fave Spiritualized is "On Fire"...guessing it wouldn't have made a dent on that list.

I've a mind to PM JPB to ask his system for scoring that list and go start a Spacemen one.
Hmm..'On Fire' has some merits but has too many similarities to previous tracks, there's plenty better to choose from on that album alone in my humble opinion.

As for Spacemen 3 top tracks - I'd currently have 'Big City' as my #1 and choosing the rest in order would be hard, but I'm guessing a top 10 would predominantly feature songs from 'Taking Drugs...' (assuming that counts) and maybe a few more from the first side of 'recurring'. I think this would actually be harder than choosing my fav Spiritualized tunes for some reason :?:
Dave Chappelle
Spamuel L. Jackson

mojo filters wrote:(assuming that counts)
Yep-yep, it does.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

ro wrote: My 2¢ is that "Take Your Time" holds up much better than "I think I'm in Love" over time.
I agree the live versions are far more powerful but the album version is solid, whereas "I think I'm In Love" is like a novelty song to me.

One of them was "electric Mainline".
Anyone else for Electric Mainline?
Sure it's simple but it's great.
Electric Mainline was on my list! I love it in all its different forms.

despite the rules, the explosive live versions of Take Your Time were surely at the back of peoples minds when they chose it. I think the album version is the worst song on LGM.

And I think that Ladies and Gents the song TOTALLY does stand on its own as opposed to simply an 'overture'! Despite being a bit of mongrel song (lyrics by Elvis, chords by Pachbel, arrangement by Wilson..) its a towering piece of work. I listen to it on its own loads.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

I'm finding it hard to take seriously what you write when it's followed by a humongously awful Man U reference...I like to think of myself as an educated, erudite and well-travelled man of the world, but clearly I have some issues relating to football bigotry to yet be resolved...having said that I like the creative use of the 'rugby' font instead of that nasty pic of the overrated cocksucker that it replaced.
Last edited by mojo filters on Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dave Chappelle
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

[quote="eleKtroniK:musiK"]#2 Ladies and Gentleman We are Floating in Space

I've never considered that an actual song, more of a welcoming committee...you know...along the lines of "c'mon in, please sit down as the shows about to begin".

Has anybody ever played there LAGWAFIS album on shuffle and enjoyed that track...perhaps after Broken Heart and before Electricity?

I just don't understand how it can stand out as a track on its own...for me it will always be a gentle entrance to Come Together.

quote]

all the time. i can listen to a track like cop shoot cop or i think im in love and think wow, wow but if the 'ladies and gentlemen...' spoken bit comes on next i'm still completely blown away

i think that greatness will stand out regardless of everything else
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

angelsighs wrote:despite the rules, the explosive live versions of Take Your Time were surely at the back of peoples minds when they chose it. I think the album version is the worst song on LGM.

And I think that Ladies and Gents the song TOTALLY does stand on its own as opposed to simply an 'overture'! Despite being a bit of mongrel song (lyrics by Elvis, chords by Pachbel, arrangement by Wilson..) its a towering piece of work. I listen to it on its own loads.
1) Take Your Time - I don't doubt the superior live versions factored into it's inclusion...plus you're probably right about it being the worst song on LGM, I was just trying to stick by the rules when I voted - maybe I should have been thinking outside the box a bit more!

2) Elvis+Brian Wilson & the oft-utilised Pachabel's Cannon in D chord progression isn't exactly the most unoriginal combo in the evolution of popular music, but I think the point at hand is that 'Ladies and Gentlemen...' stands as complete body so well, that extracting some individual tracks out of context doesn't do them the justice they deserve. It's interesting your use of the term 'overture' as until then I hadn't thought of the similarities to the original 'Tommy' album, which is bookended by 2 superb pieces of music, but I'd not suggest they stand alone as great 'Who' songs. Whilst 'Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space' is a beautiful song with heartfelt lyrics (even without the the Elvis material) and beautifully produced, the way it leads into 'Come Together' is like Jason moving from his much-appreciated and often-used introversion to face the theatrical 'fourth wall' by positioning the lyrics that follow on in the 3rd person.

PS I only just realised it was Good Friday after a confusing morning wondering why my real-time rss feeds weren't streaming as usual, so Happy Easter folks :D

...probably a sign from the big man I should make it to church more often, or at least put bank holidays on my calendar!
Dave Chappelle
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

mojo filters wrote:PS I only just realised it was Good Friday after a confusing morning wondering why my real-time rss feeds weren't streaming as usual, so Happy Easter folks :D
Didn't the fact that your not at work give you a clue? :?
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

I currently work from home doing a variety of jobs and have been very busy recently, hence my exposure to the outside world has been limited!

To make matters worse the local resident's association has just been banging on my door to complain about the noise from my music...fucking self-righteous students, why can't they piss off home to mammy & daddy for Easter?
Dave Chappelle
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

mojo filters wrote:
It's interesting your use of the term 'overture' as until then I hadn't thought of the similarities to the original 'Tommy' album, which is bookended by 2 superb pieces of music, but I'd not suggest they stand alone as great 'Who' songs.

like Jason moving from his much-appreciated and often-used introversion to face the theatrical 'fourth wall' by positioning the lyrics that follow on in the 3rd person.

Your first point is very interesting, because funnily enough on my mp3 player I have appended the Elvis ver. of L&G as a 'reprise' after Cop Shoot Cop!!...

One of my few criticisms of the album is that instead of laying you down gently, like with 200 Bars or Feel Like Going Home, its ends on a downer with CSC, which can be a cleansing experience but more often than not a very intense and trying one. It leaves me a little wired, and a nice gentle reprise of L&G is just the ticket to lift me up again..!! (similarly I think the contemporary live shows use of Oh Happy Day served the same function)

Your second point about the move from 1st to 3rd person is something i've never noticed, but now you point it out it does work very well, a move from ineffectual introversion to the stomping extroversion of Come Together.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

angelsighs wrote:
mojo filters wrote:
It's interesting your use of the term 'overture' as until then I hadn't thought of the similarities to the original 'Tommy' album, which is bookended by 2 superb pieces of music, but I'd not suggest they stand alone as great 'Who' songs.

like Jason moving from his much-appreciated and often-used introversion to face the theatrical 'fourth wall' by positioning the lyrics that follow on in the 3rd person.

Your first point is very interesting, because funnily enough on my mp3 player I have appended the Elvis ver. of L&G as a 'reprise' after Cop Shoot Cop!!...

One of my few criticisms of the album is that instead of laying you down gently, like with 200 Bars or Feel Like Going Home, its ends on a downer with CSC, which can be a cleansing experience but more often than not a very intense and trying one. It leaves me a little wired, and a nice gentle reprise of L&G is just the ticket to lift me up again..!! (similarly I think the contemporary live shows use of Oh Happy Day served the same function)

Your second point about the move from 1st to 3rd person is something i've never noticed, but now you point it out it does work very well, a move from ineffectual introversion to the stomping extroversion of Come Together.
Hmm...I like the idea of putting the Elvis version at the end of LAGWAFIS, although I have to admit that too many repeated listenings mean I often don't make it to the end of 'Cop Shoot Cop' itself, these days I prefer the various live versions I have, just for the variation on such a long (but epic) song...I guess I've kinda developed sympathies with John Peel's famously humorous approach to excessively long Spiritualized songs, shame Jason never apparently saw the funny there :?
Dave Chappelle
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

mojo filters wrote: I often don't make it to the end of 'Cop Shoot Cop' itself, these days I prefer the various live versions I have, just for the variation on such a long (but epic) song...
Whats your favourite version then? I like the Meltdown version- one less wall of noise section, some mad laser gun noises in the freakout, and the drums sound all trip hop in the outro.

The version on the Electricity B side is also interestingly different structurally don't you think? (and one of the shortest)
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

angelsighs wrote:
mojo filters wrote: I often don't make it to the end of 'Cop Shoot Cop' itself, these days I prefer the various live versions I have, just for the variation on such a long (but epic) song...
Whats your favourite version then? I like the Meltdown version- one less wall of noise section, some mad laser gun noises in the freakout, and the drums sound all trip hop in the outro.

The version on the Electricity B side is also interestingly different structurally don't you think? (and one of the shortest)
I can't honestly say which is my favourite version, but the Meltdown version is a fantastic rendition and an excellent demonstration of how well the song works as a vehicle for JP's ability to rework his own material in a remarkable way, when he chooses...I wish he'd use the same talent/imagination to end the recent live electric gigs with something less predictable than the versions of Smiles/Things Will Never be the Same/Take Me to the Other Side I've seen...though on the other hand I've never been disappointed with a live version of 'Take Your Time', but I'm a bit biased as it's my most eagerly anticipated live track at gigs and it has never left me not wanting to think about not coming down.

I agree the shorter and differently arranged Electricity ep version of 'Cop Shoot Cop' is a nice reworking to fit the song better into the live context, as it's unrealistic to expect a faithful live rendition to live up to the album recording, but on reflection I think the analogue madness and less sub-Phil Spector lack of walls of aural assault on Meltdown give it the edge. My one criticism of recent Spz live shows is the tendency towards heavy guitar tunes ending with all 3 hammering out the same chord (even with the different fx) in a climax that's effective the 1st few times but kinda drags when you've heard it x many times.
Dave Chappelle
Spamuel L. Jackson

mojo filters wrote:instead of that nasty pic of the overrated cocksucker that it replaced.
Thought I'd make like the man himself and wait for the results to say all that needs to be said.

thinline
Known user

?????

Post by thinline »

huh!? Broken Heart so low? And I'm surprised Cheapster wasn't higher. But anyway, for me you could put all Spiritualized tracks in hat, pull em out one by one and say thats the order and I'd be happy. I love em all. I do feel that to make a personal top ten was incredibly difficult though. I mulled for ages and in the end accidentally put Born Never Asked in there twice! :roll: thanks for the poll. It was great fun :lol:
Hey man there's a hole in my reason that I gotta close...
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

It was a hard choice. I wouldn't be surprised if we all did it again we would get a different result.