Happy Mondays! New Album

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

MODLAB
Site Admin

Happy Mondays! New Album

Post by MODLAB »

New Album Talk

The Happy Mondays are back - and we can reveal they've already recorded a brand new album - their first in more than 14 years.

Bjork and U2 producie Howie B is currently mixing the record and he told 6 Music its being produced by US hiphop producer Sunny Levine.

He also revealed that legendary guitarist Ry Cooder guests on the album.

Howie told 6 Music: "Sunny has done a fantastic job getting the best out of the band. Shaun is writing about what he's always written about, whatever's happening in his life really. His health, drugs, the weather. In fact there's a beautiful song about the weather that he's written and it's a classic."

He continued: "It's a mental project. It's really exciting, quite incredible. It's Shaun back on it. Shaun's a diamond. He's singing well, he's rapping well, his lyrics are just right on it. His language, which was always unique, has got even better. And he looks great. I wouldn't say he looks sexy, but he looks great."

The Happy Mondays are currently without a record deal. Their last album Yes, Please was released in 1992 through Elektra.

I hope its good. would be nice to see shaun back.

your thoughts?

Mark
Design.
mark
Known user

Post by mark »

hope its amazing
KevW
Known user

Post by KevW »

Hope they've got a producer lined up who can make something coherant out of the shambles they come up with.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Sunny Levine is quicy jones grandson or something... well family...
hope he has the same ear.

cheers,

mark
Design.
Spamuel L. Jackson

Post by Spamuel L. Jackson »

Cooder? Cool.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Saw Shaun and Bez on some music programme on Channel 4 the other night. And yeah, that article is right, Shaun did look really well. He's lost loads of weight and just looks, well, normal really. If anyone has seen the extras on the 24 Hour Party People DVD you'd know how bad he had got.

Not really expecting much from them this time round though to be honest. If The Stones Roses were to reform on the other hand.... 8)
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

well thats good to hear...

as for the stone roses. i would fly anywhere to seet that.
just kills me everytime to hear a rumour on nme or
they say something about reuniting...

dreams can happen :)

mark
Design.
mark
Known user

Post by mark »

The Mondays were AMAZING at summercase last year, really. His voice and the live band they had were more than anyone could of expected, shame they did a couple of ' new ones' but they were better than when they first reformed say 8/9 yrs ago, guess it's just when you catch them.
Zenchan
Known user

Post by Zenchan »

mark wrote: but they were better than when they first reformed say 8/9 yrs ago, guess it's just when you catch them.
Those 1999 shows were SHOCKING.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Last time I read an interview with him he was talking about 'dealing' with ex-Monday's members signing-on in his name while he spent some time abroad after they split, though that was when he was married to Donovan's daughter at the time, before he went through his bloater phase.

Is it the full original line up or just Shaun, Paul & Bez +others?
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

this has been partially recorded in leicester, and the people I know involved with it, reckon its really very good.

micky avalon features on one track.

its sean ryder, bez and gaz whelan. communications between the ryder brothers are at an all time low (ie, there arent any). and sean has lost a lot of weight, and erm, got some new teeth.
rain_dog
New user

Post by rain_dog »

andyblacktoo wrote:sean has lost a lot of weight, and erm, got some new teeth.
I saw him on the prg on C4, mentioned above - he seemed to be struggling to speak with his new gnashers!
KevW
Known user

Post by KevW »

Before

After

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

http://www.uncut.co.uk/news/uncut/news/9625

They are on the same label as our beloved Spaceman, and a tour has been announced!
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Shite, KevW that was gross ! Look what happens when your diet consists of crisps and sugary drinks ...
KevW
Known user

Post by KevW »

spacemanrich wrote:Shite, KevW that was gross ! Look what happens when your diet consists of crisps and sugary drinks ...

I think his diet consisted of Cocane and pills. It probably still does.