most underrated album[s] EVER...

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

moop
Known user

most underrated album[s] EVER...

Post by moop »

my first entry, just to get things started:

Comet - Chandelier Musings

:shock:
(psychedelic shoegaze genius, produced by david baker from old-skool mercury rev)
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Mmm - I've never heard of that. I'll go for a little online sniff to see what it's all about.

"Psychedelic shoegaze genius" sounds glorious.
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

Here's ten, in order of underratedness:

1. Mayo Thompson - Corky's Debt to His Father (an utter and perfect pop masterpiece)
2. The Byrds - Byrdmaniax (it totally doesn't suck; in fact - jacket, title, and Jackson Browne cover aside - it's excellent)
3. Herbie Hancock - Inventions and Dimensions (free improvisation meets incantatory Latin rhythms meets bracing modal abstraction)
4. Otis Redding - The Immortal Otis Redding (easily his finest album-length statement - far more consistent and original than the over-valued Otis Blue)
5. The Lovin' Spoonful - Do You Believe in Magic (one of the most inspired folk-rock albums ever made)
6. Marvin Gaye - Let's Get It On (not really a maligned record, but if anyone actually listened to it - rather than simply fucked to it - they'd hear some of the finest deep soul performances of the 20th century)
7. The Beach Boys - Friends (Smiley Smile is finally starting to get some of the acclaim it deserves, but this one remains lesser-known)
8. Spacemen 3 - Performance (this is underrated even here)
9. Sonny Rollins - The Bridge (his best, it seems to me)
10. Pulp - This Is Hardcore (nine years on and it already looks like this one has been forgotten)
KevW
Known user

Post by KevW »

Gorky's Zygotic Mynci - Bwyd Time

ANYTHING by Topper who are fantastic.
ohh
Known user

Post by ohh »

forever alien
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

twentysixdollars wrote:
8. Spacemen 3 - Performance (this is underrated even here)
Not by me - its fucking awesome...

13th Floor Elevators - Bull of the Woods. My fave Elevators album.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

bobby charles - bobby charles

and in a similar vein: bob dylan - new morning

and of course, Pacific Ocean Blue. though obviously in certain circles that isn't the case, but in terms of a wider audience blah blah blah
gonna burn brightly
for a while
10ent
Known user

Post by 10ent »

Kingsize by The Boo Radleys.

Made up for the dissapointments after Giant Steps. Shame no-one really bought it though.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Jim Dickinson - Dixie Fried.

Although that is not underrated by myself.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Lee Perry - 'From The Secret Laboratory'

Most folks seem to prefer his earlier stuff and write off his post-Black Ark material, but this later album shows how he moved with the times and created a groovy dub (with dancehall inflections) record.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

amazing grace - spiritualized

yep, stick that in your pipes. i love that album. totally underrated, especially round these parts.

but on a serious note, i'd have to say that TB SHeets by Van Morrison. that's such a great album that gets constantly overshadowed by Astralweeks.

me
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

10ent wrote:Kingsize by The Boo Radleys.

Made up for the dissapointments after Giant Steps. Shame no-one really bought it though.
i bought it!!
you're right too, absolutely beautiful album, criminally overlooked.
used to make me cry/laugh/etc..
though i do really like quite a number of the tracks they did between giant steps and this, they seemed kinda inconsistent, album-wise. it's still worth picking up a cheap copy of 'wake up' for 'joel', 'stuck on amber', 'martin, doom it's 7 oclock', and 'wilder'...heart-wrenching stuff, at least i though so. there's even a couple of tunes off c'mon kids that i quite like, though i can see why most people should probably stay away.. (tracks in question: 'everything is sorrow', 'bullfrog green')

Bwyd time is also amazing, damn creepy in places too. that story about the man-with-salt-hair... *shudders*

i can't believe i still haven't heard performance... will sort it out as soon as possible, though i'm kinda annoyed that there's issues with both releases of it. seems like something that good should have a proper release. oh well... maybe someone should ask sonic about re-releasing it on his spaceage records with a decent sound quality and the full set? :wink:
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

Burning World - Swans
Spamuel L. Jackson

Post by Spamuel L. Jackson »

Any album by The Cowsills. They embody underrated.
Especially "We Can Fly", "Captain Sad & His Ship Of Fools" and "II X II".
SpacemanRob
Known user

Post by SpacemanRob »

The Telescopes - Taste.

Absolutely perfect with The Perfect Needle sublime. Never understood why this album wasn't more loved!

The Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra & Tra-La-La Band - Born Into Trouble As The Sparks Fly Upward.

Just really special.
twentysixdollars
Known user

Spamuel L. Jackson wrote:Any album by The Cowsills. They embody underrated.
Oh brother. Is there any camp schmaltz (particularly camp schmaltz with a tenuous Beach Boys connection) that you don't eat up with a spoon?
Spamuel L. Jackson

twentysixdollars wrote:Oh brother. Is there any camp schmaltz (particularly camp schmaltz with a tenuous Beach Boys connection) that you don't eat up with a spoon?
Sigh. Care to tell me who *didn't* have a Beach Boys connection in the late 60's, you bottomfeeding twat? You gonna bitch if I dig The Box Tops too?

I'll tell you what pseudo-psych shite I don't eat up with a spoon btw. Vanilla Fudge. Go back to all the bands you love that peddle fake-authenticity and who dupe and bully with false artistic-morality in lieu of having any real depth or undercurrent, bands whose images you mold yourself in. Cowsills were more genuinely mind-expanding and fucking disturbing than most of the acts you'd finger as being 'out there' or 'heavy'. Easily, without trying.
Bill and Bob wrote better than 90% of what was being taken seriously at the time. Hands down. Unpredictable melodies and singular turn of phrase (innocent and worldly at the same time, crisply literate), both hinting at a dark undertow beneath the surface of musical confection. Smiley Rhode Island catholics who sang about apocolypse with the same ebullience Ron Dante used to sing about shagging cute chicks.

Cowills are camp? Then please consider me the campest motherfucker who ever posted here. Camper than a dicksucking Welsh rentboy at Christmastime, that's me. Please chop my balls off and make a vaginal opening between my legs to make clear that I'm really just a big girl who likes to listen to girly music that gets made for silly little girls.
GODHATESFAGSANDCOWSILLS
If they're burning in Hell, send me there too, I want to burn and suffer thru eternity with them, all while scoffing on a big wad of bloodied candyfloss.

Time to deal, dude. You're not special. Just one more typical rock snob bore, sniffing at your own farts. Elton John is baaaaaaaad and schmaltzy, Captain & Tenille is too, ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.
What do you care what I dig anyway? Bite me, Mr. Flynn.
Spamuel L. Jackson

Alternate reply:

:lol:
twentysixdollars
Known user

Spamuel L. Jackson wrote:You gonna bitch if I dig The Box Tops too?
No, I like the Box Tops (much more than I like Big Star, by the way). I didn't know there was a Beach Boys connection there, except to say that, circa Wild Honey, the BBs covered "The Letter" (as did everybody).
I'll tell you what pseudo-psych shite I don't eat up with a spoon btw. Vanilla Fudge.
Yeah, they're pretty awful. They have an album called The Beat Goes On that gives me hysterical paroxysms. I wouldn't trade it for anything. It's also great at parties.
Cowsills were more genuinely mind-expanding and fucking disturbing than most of the acts you'd finger as being 'out there' or 'heavy'. Easily, without trying.
Well, I'm not the sort of person to "finger" any pop group, let alone call any one of them "out there" or "heavy"...
Unpredictable melodies and singular turn of phrase (innocent and worldly at the same time, crisply literate), both hinting at a dark undertow beneath the surface of musical confection.
No more so than Del Shannon. In fact, much, much less so.
Cowills are camp? Then please consider me the campest motherfucker who ever posted here. Camper than a dicksucking Welsh rentboy at Christmastime, that's me. Please chop my balls off and make a vaginal opening between my legs to make clear that I'm really just a big girl who likes to listen to girly music that gets made for silly little girls.
GODHATESFAGSANDCOWSILLS
If they're burning in Hell, send me there too, I want to burn and suffer thru eternity with them, all while scoffing on a big wad of bloodied candyfloss.
Not sure whether you're calling me a reactionary homophobe, are an adolescent homophobe yourself, or have just misunderstood. If it's the first, well, considering who I am, the causes for which I've worked, and what I do for a living, your position is at once deeply amusing and profoundly offensive. If it's the second, I feel sorry for you. If it's the third, let me clarify that there's nothing wrong with camp, it's just that you risk looking silly if you take it too seriously, which you do.
Spamuel L. Jackson

26$ wrote:I didn't know there was a Beach Boys connection there
They toured together, Alex hung with Carl, Carl supposedly taught him a few things on guitar, Alex allegedly had an altercation with Manson at Dennis' place one time, was supposed to be making a record for Brother Records etc. No less tenuous than the Cowsills connections (Bill hung at Brian's, was considered as his touring replacement for a time, knew Gary Usher etc).

26$ wrote:Yeah, they're pretty awful.
I coulda sworn you dug!

26$ wrote:No more so than Del Shannon. In fact, much, much less so.
I rate Del, too. A lot. But The Cowsills were every bit as great.

26$ wrote:If it's the former, well, considering who I am, the causes for which I've worked
Who you are? Who cares? Why would I consider that? You're a guy on a messageboard who piggybacked my post. What's to consider? Why even allude to this shit since your secret-identity thing means you're unable to back any of it up? Do you know who I am? Or the causes I've backed?

26$ wrote:it's just that you risk looking silly if you take it too seriously, which you do
That's the biggest case of pot/kettle since...ever. I take it as seriously as not, equal measures of both. I don't see why I'd take it any less seriously than a John Coltrane LP tho.

Whatevz. Gonna go watch the 1/4final with Roma.
sendy
Known user

Post by sendy »

Most under-rated album? Here is a few...

Be Here Now- Oasis.

Alone With Everybody- Richard Ashcroft

Let It Come Down- Spiritualized

Obscured By Clouds- Pink Floyd.

Stripped- Rolling Stones.
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

Submarine by Submarine. Yeah.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Bob Dylan - World Gone Wrong
Richard Ashcroft - Human Conditions
Spiritualized - Amazing Grace
Ian Brown - Music of the Spheres
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Stone Roses- Second Coming (As Mani says, its the Roses with some hair round their testicles)

Another Side of Bob Dylan (possibly my favourite Dylan album, always seen as a transitional album for some reason)

Regarding Ashcroft, I think Alone With Everybody could do with a bit more kudos, but Human Conditions deserves everything it gets.
mark
Known user

Post by mark »

Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
Pet Sounds
The Stone Roses
Nevermind
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

dylan- saved, infidels, street legal
cohen- various possitions and songs of love and hate
black rebel motorcycle club- the band in general
ian mcculloch- candleland
lou reed- new york

etc
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
Spamuel L. Jackson

mark wrote:Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
Pet Sounds
The Stone Roses
Nevermind
Haha!

Agree with "Second Coming" and "Another Side Of BD". I'd say BRMC are hideously OVERrated.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

John Lennon - 'Rock N' Roll'
Hendrix - 'Band of Gypsys'
Bronze Nazareth - 'The Great Migration'
Screaming Trees - 'Dust'
Allen Toussaint - 'Life + Love + Faith'
Neil Young - 'Trans'
Pearl Jam - 'Vitalogy'
Wu-Tang Clan - 'Forever'
Prince & NPG - 'The Chocolate Invasion'
Captain Beefheart - 'Ice Cream for Crow'
Frank Black - 'Teenager of the Year'
Stooges - 'The Weirdness' :D

Underated, undervalued or just unrated full stop!

All worthy of attention for anybody here who has not heard them...
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

ononist wrote:Submarine by Submarine. Yeah.
yeaaaaaah!!!

ice cream for crow: WOOO, HEY!!! :shock:

am trying to find that telescopes record so i can let you know.. but to be honest i like everything i've heard, so i can't imagine it's a big surprise..

second coming is criminally ignored by many, which is a big mistake, since much of it is aces.

am amused at the ashcroft love, but think that deserves a separate thread if people are serious!

music of the spheres, once again, amazing...

i don't really think silver mt zion are underrated, since they've got a pretty dedicated following (inc me :)) they're playing brighton komedia soon if anyone's interested... definitely worth seeing live..

that'll do for now...
Spamuel L. Jackson

BzaInSpace wrote:John Lennon - 'Rock N' Roll'
Screaming Trees - 'Dust'
Neil Young - 'Trans'
Big YASSSS! to those.

The Winston O' Boogio record doesn't get near enough respect outside of Lennon sycophant circles (outtakes are awesome, too -- "To Know Her Is To Love Her"...fuck).
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

bunnyben wrote:dylan- saved, infidels, street legal
cohen- various possitions and songs of love and hate
black rebel motorcycle club- the band in general
ian mcculloch- candleland
lou reed- new york

etc
Agree with Songs of Love and Hate- my fave Cohen album..

Not heard any of those Dylan albums, I must have another Dylan splurge soon!!

Also agree with whoever said Band of Gypsys.. not really mentioned alongside Hendrix's other albums but musically incredible and the sound of him really stretching out.
I'd also nominate Axis:Bold as Love too which gets lost in between the two momentus albums either side of it.
Last edited by angelsighs on Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spamuel L. Jackson

angelsighs wrote:Axis:Bold as Love too which gets lost lost in between the two momentus albums either side of it.
Ace shout. I'll take AXIS over either of them anyday.
Max's Self Is Steam
Known user

Post by Max's Self Is Steam »

twentysixdollars wrote:1. Mayo Thompson - Corky's Debt to His Father (an utter and perfect pop masterpiece)
[...]
10. Pulp - This Is Hardcore (nine years on and it already looks like this one has been forgotten)
Excellent choices! This Is Hardcore actually doesn't seem to be all that "forgotten" to me; hardly anyone knows Mayo's album though. That's a shame, it's really excellent. Quite Barrett-esque but more "finished" than Syd's solo albums.
spzretent
Site Admin

Re: most underrated album[s] EVER...

Post by spzretent »

moop wrote:my first entry, just to get things started:

(psychedelic shoegaze genius, produced by david baker from old-skool mercury rev)
Comet played in my record shop about 12 years ago. I still listen to Chandelier Musings. Great record.
I got an email in 2005 from Jim Stone who was in Comet.
He has another band, or did as the web site is disabled.
Good call.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
moop
Known user

Re: most underrated album[s] EVER...

Post by moop »

spzretent wrote:
moop wrote:my first entry, just to get things started:

Comet played in my record shop about 12 years ago. I still listen to Chandelier Musings. Great record.
I got an email in 2005 from Jim Stone who was in Comet.
He has another band, or did as the web site is disabled.
Good call.
hmmm.. didn't know he waws in another band, though Comet released an EP not too long ago and I seem to remember talk of them touring, but the website seems to be down so I'm trying not to get my hopes up. Would dearly love to see them live too. Couldn't they suppport the secret machines or something? I think I read somewhere that they used to be friends...
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

A lot of people considered U2's 'Pop' a load of crap at the time of release. But it's got some great tracks on it and an album i really like.
A lot of them are even better Live.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Moose Sonny & Sam

cheers,

Mark
Design.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I love this message board for for reasons like this post alone. I was looking for a Swans album tonight and ran across this not even realizing I owned it. I played it tonight for the first time in probably 13 years and it sounds way better now.
There was some 7" they put out that was really good too.
Gruff
Known user

Post by Gruff »

I always am disapointed by Band of Gypsies-not Hendrix's playing (indeed, I think it is his best...). My favourite Hendrix song is Machine Gun, yet everytime I listen to it I am slightly dissapointed-because the rhythm section is sooooo boring! Same thing over and over. It really bugs me-what I wouldn't give to have Mitch on the drums especially. Oh Well. Still, good call in my book.

Second Coming is also a good call-I personally LOVE it.

My most underatted albums are:

Nina Simone ...and Piano! (which I constantly mention everywhere). I think it is just superb-songs of life/death/love/loss and all inbetween. Like a roadmap to life. But not in such a horrid teenage angsty sorta way.

Natalie Imbruglia-COunting Down the Days. (no, seriously...)

Soundgarden-Louder than Love. Yes it has dodgy tracks. Yes it is grunge. But oh YES I love it!

Charles Mingus-Oh Yeah. Hog Callin' Blues, Eclusiastics, Oh Lord please don't let them drop that atomic bomb on me...
When the hand points to the moon only the fool looks at the finger
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Gruff wrote:I always am disapointed by Band of Gypsies-not Hendrix's playing (indeed, I think it is his best...). My favourite Hendrix song is Machine Gun, yet everytime I listen to it I am slightly dissapointed-because the rhythm section is sooooo boring! Same thing over and over. It really bugs me-what I wouldn't give to have Mitch on the drums especially. Oh Well. Still, good call in my book.
Fair point- on Machine Gun the rhythm section which works so well on the other more grounded numbers does just plod along a bit with the same groove, it gets left behind a bit.

If you want a Machine Gun with Mitch though, there's Live at Berkeley!! Out of this world.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

[quote="Gruff"]

Natalie Imbruglia-COunting Down the Days. (no, seriously...)

quote]

has that got 'shiver' on it?
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

My pleasure sprz...

Which Swans album were you looking for? It sounds like we may have quite similar tastes. Mine not alphabetized however.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

angelsighs wrote:Stone Roses- Second Coming (As Mani says, its the Roses with some hair round their testicles)
yer joking right? i did like it when it first came out, then i listened to it recently and it's utter crap imo. 1-2 good songs tops
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

ononist wrote:My pleasure sprz...

Which Swans album were you looking for? It sounds like we may have quite similar tastes. Mine not alphabetized however.
Buring Love I think its called. Purple cover w/yellow flower on it.
I found the Submarine 7". It is Chemical Tester b/w Salty Killer Whales.
It was a mail order only 7". No pic sleeve.
Weird thing is I apparently bought it at Probe in Liverpool. I have been to Liverpool once and was disappointed by Probe(to put it mildly). I'm sure in its day it was great. But at least i pulled this 7" out for my effort.
.50p
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Eric Burden and War

The Black-Man's Burdon

great album in my opinion

Mark
Design.
Gruff
Known user

Post by Gruff »

Yes, COunting down the days does have "Shiver" on it and I reckon it's one of the poorest on the album, although it's a cracking pop song.

I dissagree whole heartadly that Second Coming is crap-I think it gets better in actual fact...
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Gruff wrote:Nina Simone ...and Piano! (which I constantly mention everywhere). I think it is just superb-songs of life/death/love/loss and all inbetween. Like a roadmap to life. But not in such a horrid teenage angsty sorta way.

Mention it more on here please. That's a classic album, an essential album even. Excellent.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

Gruff wrote:Yes, COunting down the days does have "Shiver" on it and I reckon it's one of the poorest on the album, although it's a cracking pop song.

I dissagree whole heartadly that Second Coming is crap-I think it gets better in actual fact...
1) really? i gotta check out that album then!

2) maybe it was the hype which was its undoing? i still think be here now has some great songs but not worthy of the near scary hype suurounding it
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

bunnyben wrote: 2) maybe it was the hype which was its undoing? i still think be here now has some great songs but not worthy of the near scary hype suurounding it
kinda sums up their entire career.
Gruff
Known user

Post by Gruff »

Glad there is love for ..and piano!

Why on earth has nobody ever seem to have heard it?

I'd also like to add:

Rainer-Live at the Performance Centre. I think this is his best (closly followed by Nocturnes). Performances of 'time slips away' and 'the farm' are the best versions to be found by Rainer, IMO, obviously.

Sidsel Endresson- Undertow. I think her voice is beautifully icy as well as rich and I like all the mixing of brass with loops. Not original I know, but good all the same-and nobody has ever seem to have heard it so I guess it qualifys (!?)
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

The Sundays - Reading , writing and arithmetic.

A total classic album that no one ever mentions. Perfect pop.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

The Balcony Dogs - Trip

total classic imo
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
The Flight Lieutenant
Known user

Post by The Flight Lieutenant »

Alligator by The National is a fantastic album, one of the best of recent years, which no-one has even heard of, let alone rated, under or otherwise. I'd also throw into the ring Highs, Lows and Heavenly Blows by Spectrum and just about anything by Yo La Tengo.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I second The National. I don't understand why they haven't caught on by now. They are fucking fantastic.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Mean Red Spiders: Strarsandsons or Places You Call Home

Cheers,

Mark
Design.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Got the inspiration from the MC5 thread:

MC5 - High Time

I put it on every now and then and it still blows me away. Great album from start to finish. Sadly over-shadowed by KOTJ.

How was "Over and Over" not an anthem of American working class disillusionment in the early 1970s?!

A conspiracy of the Nixon administration against the White Panther party, I tell ye!!
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

spzretent wrote:
I love this message board for for reasons like this post alone. I was looking for a Swans album tonight and ran across this not even realizing I owned it. I played it tonight for the first time in probably 13 years and it sounds way better now.
There was some 7" they put out that was really good too.
The Burning World is the album. Swans have re-released most of their back catalogue albeit in slightly different formats. Burning World was re-released about 4/5 years ago and re-named Burned Again. I got a signed copy direct from this website here http://www.swans.pair.com. This was only a limited edition of around 1000 copies but they are constantly chopping and changing formats etc. The last time I looked (and it was a while ago) they were selling it as a box set with a DVD-r of some of their gigs at the time. It takes a while to come through but it is well worth the wait, Jarboe puts in a huge effort to make these individual, they are all private copies so the cash (hopefully) all goes to Gira and Jarboe.
Spamuel L. Jackson

toomilk wrote:Got the inspiration from the MC5 thread:

MC5 - High Time

I put it on every now and then and it still blows me away. Great album from start to finish. Sadly over-shadowed by KOTJ.

How was "Over and Over" not an anthem of American working class disillusionment in the early 1970s?!

A conspiracy of the Nixon administration against the White Panther party, I tell ye!!
I agree with this.