Neil Young & Crazy Horse ~ newish Fillmore disc

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

Neil Young & Crazy Horse ~ newish Fillmore disc

Post by TheWarmth »

Does anyone have this? I got the Massey Hall one and it's fucking incredible. Just wondering if I need to get the Fillmore one, too. Thoughts???
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Get it, its great....but then again I'm biased!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

There's so much Neil Young stuff to buy lately! These live albums and then the boxset coming soon, which sounds pant wettingly good.

I still haven't yet bought Living With War yet myself.. which version is best.. the first one or the 'raw' one which came out recently?
KevW
Known user

Post by KevW »

I'm still a massive fan of his solo debut. Still he best album for me.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

KevW wrote:I'm still a massive fan of his solo debut. Still he best album for me.
Yeah, its a nice little record, but he went on to greater things I think.
KevW
Known user

Post by KevW »

angelsighs wrote:
KevW wrote:I'm still a massive fan of his solo debut. Still he best album for me.

Well it always gets seen that way. I love Goldrush... and all those but I still prefer the debut. Maybe because of the strings and stuff. I'm a fan of the sound of it.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

KevW wrote:
angelsighs wrote:

Well it always gets seen that way. I love Goldrush... and all those but I still prefer the debut. Maybe because of the strings and stuff. I'm a fan of the sound of it.
Actually, I know exactly what you mean.. it has got a slightly otherworldly sound he never went back to, all the light strings and that.. yeah
KevW
Known user

Post by KevW »

angelsighs wrote:
KevW wrote:
angelsighs wrote:

Actually, I know exactly what you mean.. it has got a slightly otherworldly sound he never went back to, all the light strings and that.. yeah

Neil Young didn't like it. It's all arranged by Jack Nitche (sp?) I think and being a huge Phil Spector fan I'm also a big fan of his.
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

angelsighs wrote:There's so much Neil Young stuff to buy lately! These live albums and then the boxset coming soon, which sounds pant wettingly good.

I still haven't yet bought Living With War yet myself.. which version is best.. the first one or the 'raw' one which came out recently?

I've got them both and to be honest I can't really tell much of a difference. However there is a rather splendid DVD with the 'raw' one. So if I had to choose one it would be that.

Oh and get the Filmore CD/DVD while you're at it. :wink:
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
Spamuel L. Jackson

Post by Spamuel L. Jackson »

KevW wrote:Well it always gets seen that way. I love Goldrush... and all those but I still prefer the debut. Maybe because of the strings and stuff. I'm a fan of the sound of it.
Heard Neil's "Expecting To Fly" yet? (from the second Buffalo Springfield LP)
If not, check it, have a feeling it'd be right up your street. Nitzsche again, and amazing.
KevW
Known user

Post by KevW »

Spamuel L. Jackson wrote:
KevW wrote:Well it always gets seen that way. I love Goldrush... and all those but I still prefer the debut. Maybe because of the strings and stuff. I'm a fan of the sound of it.
Heard Neil's "Expecting To Fly" yet? (from the second Buffalo Springfield LP)
If not, check it, have a feeling it'd be right up your street. Nitzsche again, and amazing.
Yeah I've got the Bufallo Springfield box set, also a best of and Stampede the unreleased album. Expecting To Fly is one of my fave songs yeah.
Spamuel L. Jackson

KevW wrote:Expecting To Fly is one of my fave songs yeah.
One of my fave Neil moments, full-stop.
KevW
Known user

Post by KevW »

Spamuel L. Jackson wrote:
KevW wrote:Expecting To Fly is one of my fave songs yeah.
One of my fave Neil moments, full-stop.
Same here. He did some great stuff with them. Out Of My Mind, Burned, Broken Arrow...
Spamuel L. Jackson

KevW wrote:Broken Arrow...
"Broken Arrow", shiiiiiiiit. All bets are off, yeah. Stunning piece of music.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Re: Neil Young & Crazy Horse ~ newish Fillmore disc

Post by BzaInSpace »

TheWarmth wrote:Does anyone have this? I got the Massey Hall one and it's fucking incredible. Just wondering if I need to get the Fillmore one, too. Thoughts???
You have to get a hold of it.
I was given it as a gift and its really something else - the sound is really fucking impressive and you get the fabled Whitten/Young guitar interplay thing going on. 'Come on baby let's go downtown' really jumps out at you compared with the mix on 'Tonights the night' - maybe keeping with that record's more subdued style anyway....
As mentioned elsewhere possibly not as long as it could be - and its a shame Nitzsche's piano ain't louder in the mix, but it still an excellent live record and I was very impressed.

As Neil himself mentioned about this, and the Archives set, you get contemporary reviews of the gig in the package - Miles Davis as support!! - that are both favourable...and not.
O P 8
Spamuel L. Jackson

Tell it, BZA. What you said. The Fillmore show is a must.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

rameses wrote:
angelsighs wrote:There's so much Neil Young stuff to buy lately! These live albums and then the boxset coming soon, which sounds pant wettingly good.

I've got them both and to be honest I can't really tell much of a difference. However there is a rather splendid DVD with the 'raw' one. So if I had to choose one it would be that.

Oh and get the Filmore CD/DVD while you're at it. :wink:
Cheers rameses.. thanks for the advice.

I also second the love for 'Expecting to Fly' above- its positively sublime.

Does anyone know why the Filmore album is so short? Were some songs in such bad quality to be unusable or what?
Spamuel L. Jackson

angelsighs wrote:Does anyone know why the Filmore album is so short? Were some songs in such bad quality to be unusable or what?
The Fillmore shows were half solo Neil, half Crazy Horse, "Cinnamon Girl" is the only one of the full-band tunes that didn't make it on the official release. I think it was said that the multis were missing for that one. Shame, cos it's a blistering version, one of the best.
Spamuel L. Jackson

Not Neil-related, FAO KevW:
Heard this? Jack Nitzsche supergroup production/arrangement from 1964 under the name Hale & The Hushabyes, issued twice that year and again in 67 under the monicker A Date With Soul.
And yep, that's Brian Wilson on the camp and girly high vocal part.
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... E42E84807F
Spamuel L. Jackson

You ever heard the Mynah Birds, Ads?
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

No, I've never delved back further into the Young catalogue than the Springfield. Any good? (probably a daft question I know, but I do trust your judgement on these matters!).
Spamuel L. Jackson

Ads wrote:Any good?
The cancelled single sides that came out on Hip-O are worth checking out.
Neil co-wrote (according to him, tho he's not credited for some reason) and played 12 string guitar on one called "It's My Time" with Rick James singing lead, really cool R&B-folk, spiteful with soul a little like some early Love but moreso. Shakey's voice is pretty unidentifiable in the b/g blend, though, if that bothers you.

They were supposed to have cut an album's worth of tunes while he was with them (the few months between being rejected by Elektra and starting the Springfield). I've only heard a handful, don't think any others are circulating. "I'll Wait Forever" is a nice one that Neil apparently co-wrote.
He bought up a bunch of the Mynah Birds recordings, so maybe some will turn up on "Archives".

***CHECK THIS***
Every 45 Motown put out in 66, plus both shelved Mynah Birds sides thrown in, for just over £50. VERY worth the dough, especially since you were showing interest in Motown a while back. Limited number, so if you want it, now's the time, it's been out since last christmas. The earlier volumes are sold up and sought after by now.

Preview of the Mynah Birds tunes on that set. See if you dig.

tenuous Beach Boys connection needed to validate this recommendation -- Murry Wilson owned a pet mynah bird in the 60's
Spamuel L. Jackson

Just for fun, and to bump the thread, Neil's first ever single.

2 instrumental sides cut by his high-school group, The Squires, in July '63 at Winnipeg's CKRC (with station DJ Bob Bradburn credited as producer on the 45). Expected to be included on "Archives" when that comes.
The Squires 45

Check it out if you never heard it. Artefactual, but worth a listen.
MUFCSPACEMAN
Known user

Post by MUFCSPACEMAN »

Last edited by MUFCSPACEMAN on Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Thanks very much. Downloading now.

I'll look forward to listening to this.