that new release in June...possibly more info...looks good

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

bcastle21
Known user

that new release in June...possibly more info...looks good

Post by bcastle21 »

http://drbeeper.manilasites.com/2004Music

scroll to the bottom near "live"

Spiritualized - Carling Academy, Liverpool 01-24-04

could this be referring to the mysterious june release...a live album?? can i be so lucky?? i heard this was a great concert.

*fingers crossed*
bcastle21
Known user

Post by bcastle21 »

i actually have a semi-crappy audience bootleg of this...but if you turn it up real loud, this show is very very good...would make an awesome release if in good sound quality.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Don't wanna piss on your parade but...

Are these not gigs that someone on the page has either seen or enjoyed or...

Surely not all these listed gigs are live releases, unless bootlegs?

The Liverpool boot is pretty good (lots of adjustment to top and bottom end necessary), lots of 'audience participation' though on that one isn't there?

The 'Electricity'/'Shine A Light' take-off is Ok, and the version of 'I Think I'm In Love' is wah-tastic.....

Personally if they release a live album I sure hope it ain't a UK gig.... the Japan gigs were mooted for this, weren't they?

The band were left to play in peace without some twat taking pictures of them on their phone (wankers) or speaking LOUD as fuck through the ballads...... :evil:
bcastle21
Known user

Post by bcastle21 »

well the only thing to make me think that these are releases is the fact that all those pixies concerts are being sold after their shows and they comprise most of em. but you're probably right:(
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

If that release will really be Carling Academy, Liverpool 01-24-04, then we can once again check what has been overdubbed. Like with the case of difference between the Royal Albert Hall live-album and bootleg of the same gig.

I wonder if Spring Heel Jack also did some afterproduction with their live-album (one with Jason on guitar). Doubtful....
Calle
Known user

Post by Calle »

were there overdubs made on royal albert?
vocals, effects, the whole lot or what?
never heard about it, so please enlighten me...
Clownbait
Known user

Post by Clownbait »

BzaInSpace wrote:The 'Electricity'/'Shine A Light' take-off is Ok, and the version of 'I Think I'm In Love' is wah-tastic.....
they didnt play I think I'm in love at liverpool
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Well it's track 2 on CD 2 of the bootleg i have - Liverpool Carling Academy 24th January 2004.

And rather good it is too.

:shock:
Ian Goodchild
Known user

Post by Ian Goodchild »

As it's had a few mentions, I thought I'd add that Live at the Royal Albert Hall is no more a 'live' LP than 'Amazing Grace' or the fantastic Radio Sessions they did for Steve Lamacq's Evening Session And XFM Capital (2001).

Jason doesn't like Spiritualized live on record - have a listen to the Electricity B-Sides from US gigs in 1996; the Glastonbury 1993 tracks on Let it Flow CD2 and CD3 and you should see what I mean straight away. Every live track they've released has had heavy post-production - ranging from basic/necessary (FUI, Shine a Light, from 'A Field of their Own') to extensive overkill (LARAH). I was fortunate enough to be at the Royal Albert Hall, and to tape it - and the two official and (average quality) home recording sound so totally different, it's shocking. The official release is slower, lacks nearly all of the segues (or the sound effects added in between), the sharps and peaks of the real gig and most of the basic tracks were actually re-recorded in the studio.

BTW, Springheel Jack were supposed to be the 'support act' for the band. Their DJ set involved bells clanging intermittently for about 40 minutes or so. Covering John Cage ain't always a good idea, I remember thinking at the time.
lazer_guided
Known user

Post by lazer_guided »

when you say "sharps and peaks" what do you mean? can you give a few examples?

Cheers
Calle
Known user

Post by Calle »

so, in other words, almost everthing on the record has been modified by some kind of post-production.

makes me a bit disappointed... but, it's still an amazing piece of work, isn't it?
helm
Known user

Post by helm »

Ian Goodchild wrote:
BTW, Springheel Jack were supposed to be the 'support act' for the band. Their DJ set involved bells clanging intermittently for about 40 minutes or so. Covering John Cage ain't always a good idea, I remember thinking at the time.
yeah, i was disappointed as i'd spent £28 on two spring heel jack albums the previous month so i'd 'know' a few tunes when i saw them 'live'. i ended up waiting in the bar until spiritualized came on, as there wasn't much to hear, which meant i needed a loo break during their set!