An introduction to Lee 'scratch' Perry

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

nukisarocknrollstar
Known user

An introduction to Lee 'scratch' Perry

Post by nukisarocknrollstar »

Hello all,

Just got the Lee Perry 'from the secret lab' album after finally getting round to buying one of his cd's. I think its mint but can anyone advise on which album to go for next? was looking at reviews on amazon and am looking at getting arkology next as I see this is some augustus pablo collaborations on who i'm a fan of. Or the super ape album as that got good reviews as well.

Any suggestions?
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

"I Am The Upsetter: The Story Of Lee "Scratch" Perry" is a 4 disc box on Trojan/Sanctuary. It's pretty damn good.
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

Arkology is stellar.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

There are many incredible albums from the Scratch archive. I've said before here that Lee Perry is the greatest musical engineer/producer/arranger/mixer/whatever that has ever existed and he remains a massive hero of mine.

The good box sets are indeed fantastic. What you have in Secret Laboratory is actually more of a Dub Syndicate/Adrian Sherwood album. Perry had completely lost it by this point - his charisma and input were enough to make a really good record. But it's certainly not definitive Perry.

Arkology is a must. It contains so much material that defines reggae's great era of the early 70's to about 1980. There is also Lost Treasures of the Ark - another triple CD box. Both these sets are utterly sublime. Bear in mind in classic reggae tradition they will have several tracks with the same rhythm in a row - so on Arkology I think there are 4 versions of Police and Thieves stuck together. Also in that vein is Voodooism - a truly wonderful collection. Another ideal introduction, and incredible compilation, is Scratch and Company (this is available as a 2 LP CD with Blackboard Jungle called 'Scratch Attack!' - what a listen!).

But you also need the guy's actual albums - Super Ape is brilliant, as is Blackboard Jungle, as is Columbia Colly, as is Cloak and Dagger (which is slightly lighter), as is Black Ark in Dub (which is well heavy).

For me the ultimate album is Heart of the Congos. The whole thing is drenched in the guy's trademark phased sound - a sound that is as identifiable and important as those of Brian Wilson or Phil Spector or any major leagure music producer/engineer. It bubbles away and there isn't a dull moment. Some are put off by the slightly unusual falsetto vocals but it works brilliantly and it's captivating from the first note. And whilst not strictly a dub album (although the fantastic Blood and Fire reissue features extended dubby versions) it's totally tripped out and is as psychedelic as anything else from that era. I rate it as the greatest reggae album ever made and I'd include it in my all time top 10 albums.

You may also want to check out the Marley stuff. It was Perry who really developed Marley and got the best out of the guy before Marley pinched the Upsetters, Perry's house band, and formed the Wailers. There are 2 albums - Upsetters Record Shop Vols 1 & 2 which are fantastic.

Just be careful about buying anything that features Lee Perry on the cover. There seem to be a zillion albums of utterly mediocre material, and thats the same for every reggae artist. I was fortunate in that close friends with some expertise gave me the right advice on what reggae to buy. Almost anything Perry-wise after 1980 is risky - but you're safe with the Adrian Sherwood related bits for the most part, however (check Time Boom X De Devil Dead for instance).
nukisarocknrollstar
Known user

Post by nukisarocknrollstar »

cheers runce matey, took your advice and got the congos album - definitely gonna be my summer allbum!
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

very informative, thanks all!

i've had Voodooism Pressure Sounds since May 06, i like that one quite a bit.
before that had only Super Ape Inna Jungle, which turns out to be less L'S'P than D'N'B remixers sampling L'S'P.

i've now got my sights on Arkology & Super Ape.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

runcible wrote:
For me the ultimate album is Heart of the Congos. The whole thing is drenched in the guy's trademark phased sound - a sound that is as identifiable and important as those of Brian Wilson or Phil Spector or any major leagure music producer/engineer. It bubbles away and there isn't a dull moment. Some are put off by the slightly unusual falsetto vocals but it works brilliantly and it's captivating from the first note.
Picked up a 3-Disc Trojan Upsetter Box-set. Has The Congos - Neckodeemus on it; perfect description of that sound runcible...falsetto vocals appeared about 7 minutes in but could have been earlier as I'd got lost in the 'far-off' background vocals. Total journey in just under 8minutes...Now Thats What I Call Music (period!).
Definitely going to get the Blood and Fire album.
nasty
Known user

Post by nasty »

well i've always LOVED super ape! As compilations go arkology is definite value for your money. Nothing to add really but just ordering my copy of Heart of the Congos - recommendation much appreciated.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Re: An introduction to Lee 'scratch' Perry

Guys a proper Legend
Shoulders back, smash it
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

For any seeking an introduction and you should...

Try the two triptych albums released by Sanctuary & Trojan

Dub-Triptych is Cloak & Dagger, Blackboard Jungle & Dub Revolution
Dubstrumentals is Kung Fu meets the Dragon, Return of the Wax & Musical Bones

Get SuperApe and The Congos album

B( (( (((OO))) )) )M
Shoulders back, smash it
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Stuart X.Hunter wrote:For any seeking an introduction and you should...

Try the two triptych albums released by Sanctuary & Trojan

Dub-Triptych is Cloak & Dagger, Blackboard Jungle & Dub Revolution
Dubstrumentals is Kung Fu meets the Dragon, Return of the Wax & Musical Bones

Get SuperApe and The Congos album

B( (( (((OO))) )) )M
Can't go wrong with any of that, especially the latter two.

However, I would urge you to track down the 2007 Auralux issue of the album known as Upsetters 14 Blackboard Jungle - mastered from a ridiculously limited (300?) 1973 true stereo pressing.

The version included on Dub-Triptych is tragically totally fucked - most of it is in one channel with the faint sound of crackling in the right channel, with only very occasional sound. It appears that when this was being mastered something went badly wrong, basically it's mono in one channel. Such a shame as it's Scratch on production with King Tubby engineering and this album more than deserves to be heard properly...

As far as a basic but excellent intro to Lee Perry goes, I find this hard to fault - other than it's only ten tracks long.

But what tracks they are...

Lee Perry's latest album Back On The Controls is superb by the way. A late masterpiece if there ever was one.
O P 8
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Agreed,

The version of blackboard jungle dub is appalling on headphones!
Shoulders back, smash it
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Disc two of Arkology is my go-to selection when doing housework, and has been for years.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Return of Django LP. Simply unbeatable.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Ital Corner - Prince Jazzbo

:mrgreen:
Shoulders back, smash it
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Colombia Colly - Jah Lion
Shoulders back, smash it
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Whoever recommended Arkology is a right. What a great place to start. I just got this a few weeks back and it's ruling my playlists.