Worst album covers, ever !!!

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

estee
Known user

Worst album covers, ever !!!

Post by estee »

i saw this on popbitch yesterday and couldnt resist sharing it

http://www.stevecarter.com/albumcovers.htm
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

There's a whole website dedicated to this stuff here:

http://www.zonicweb.net/badalbmcvrs/
Zenchan
Known user

Post by Zenchan »

I've always thought Pet Sounds has the biggest great album to shit cover ratio.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

I can't think of a better album cover than Pet Sounds!

except this one:
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

holy crap (no pun intended)

alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

Haha....yeah, I remember seeing that a couple of years ago. Too many to list! Good to see a few recent ones made it.

One album cover that should have made it is the cover of the new Who album. That one's truly terrible.
ThiefofFire
Known user

Post by ThiefofFire »

bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

john lennon and yoko naked...ugh
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
thinline
Known user

Post by thinline »

Worst ever? (What's The Story) Morning Glory! :lol:
Hey man there's a hole in my reason that I gotta close...
charles w
Known user

Post by charles w »

Spamuel L. Jackson

Post by Spamuel L. Jackson »

thinline wrote:Worst ever? (What's The Story) Morning Glory! :lol:
Yeah, horrid.

Moody Blues have the worst album covers ever. Next to CS&N.

Double-take:
Someone here goes to popbitch? For a laugh, right? I'd rather slash my wrists than read that shite.
Last edited by Spamuel L. Jackson on Tue May 08, 2007 3:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Spamuel L. Jackson

I read there once, it sucked, I never went back.

It might be funny if you like laughing at dickheads, Is. I'm so tired of dickheads I can't even laugh at that shit anymore.

Do you need to register before you can read there? If so, I can't remember what my s/n was. Probably minky_chunky, yeah.
Spamuel L. Jackson

is wrote:Hmmm... the one with the Rolls Royce in the swimming pool was much, much worse, to name but one.
Nah, the "Be Here Now" cover was tacky as fuck, but nothing sums up mediocrity like the (WTS)MG one. Just that naff, Ben Sherman-y, mid 90's vibe...corny in the first place, and some fuckers are still living it out even now. Staler than a dodo turd.

The "Urban Hymns" cover really stunk. But I don't reckon that all their earlier sleeves were great anyway..not a big fan of the Brian Cannon faux-abstract thing. The pre-'the' singles looked nice in 12" form tho.
Last edited by Spamuel L. Jackson on Tue May 08, 2007 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spamuel L. Jackson

is wrote:Sorry. I was forgetting.
Yep, gossips, dickheads, muckrakers and musichaters. Fuck 'em. Let's talk about sounds.

is wrote:Was it 'retro' in the mid-90s though? It seemed bang-up-to-date at the time, but with hindsight...
I edited out 'retro', didn't sum it up. I'm thinking of that 'trying to be vaguely evocative of something' vibe. Kind of like someone was trying to harken back but was too fucking clueless to really nail it or only had some art-print revisionist understanding of what they were attempting to evoke. The whole Oasis thing post-94 was about that anyway...sweaters that looked a bit like something 'someone from the 60's' might wear, just those vague sentiments of affected timeliness, music that flatters itself to approximate the sound of the bands they profess to worship, but with all the substance taken out. The "Be Here Now" art is the culmination of what started with the more insidious (WTS)MG cover. Whatever, it all stinks of Eau D'Paolo. Despise that shit.
Spamuel L. Jackson

is wrote:Strike 'Oasis'. Try 'the whole country', ever since then.
Maybe. I don't know anymore. I do know that if I had an axe, I'd decapitate myself as a lone futile gesture of apology to all who came in the wake of this worthless pathetic generation I was forced to belong to.
estee
Known user

Post by estee »

Double-take: Someone here goes to popbitch? For a laugh, right? I'd rather slash my wrists than read that shite.

Of course for a laugh, I get my main news from the national enquirer :D
Spamuel L. Jackson

Nice writing. I just can't be as stoic as you. Probably something to do with insufficient education, the ability to rationalize this shit, I sometimes wonder if I was born minus some important part of the brain, I just flail in confusion at the weird scenes and attitudes I'm surrounded by. I wanna disappear off into my own world, but people keep pulling me back into theirs.
Tired of everything, tired of the 80's, tired of the 70's, tired of the fucking 60's too. Far as I'm concerned, all the shit I dig exists exclusively of the junk that surrounded it, I don't want it associated with crumby revivalist era-fetishism. What I can't, and won't ever, understand is why people want to celebrate the stuff they supposedly dig in the context of all that junk (y'know, "Ooh, I love Soft Cell, weren't the 80's great?!"). Who would do that?

p/s: cheers for the book tip

Re. Oasis LP covers:
What makes me laugh is how, once they'd reached the apex of all that retrogressive crap with "Be Here Now", they kind of apologetically tried to go 'modern' with that shitey cover for "Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants", and came off looking even more tasteless.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

there's a shop in brighton called 'greenwich villaige' and it sells ponchos and bin bags as retro 60s fashion...
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'