band recommendations..

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Snugglebuster
Known user

band recommendations..

Post by Snugglebuster »

i'm having problems finding classic "shoegazer" style bands these days.

i'm talking stuff like..

slowdive
chapterhouse
old verve
old boo radleys
ride
MBV
etc..

washed out vocals, walls of hypnotic guitars, drones, drifting, beautiful but heavy & powerful at times.

any help would be awsome..
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

Well my advice would be to pre-date the whole movement. Start with bands like The Jesus and Mary Chain, Cocteau Twins, The Telescopes. If you are interested in American version of shoegaze, check out The Swirlies, Stratford 4. For more of the British bands, what about Adorable, Polak, Lush, Curve, Mojave 3. Neil Halstads solo album is worth finding. As well as the Scotish scene with the Delgados, Arab Strap, Belle & Sebastian.

Oh yeah, I just saw a great British act called Broadcast.

My email is fallenidols2002@yahoo.com
Drop me a line and I will recommend what I feel are good albums by them to start with.

xxxshonnxxx
Snugglebuster
Known user

Post by Snugglebuster »

yea i know about lush, mohave3, arap strap and a few others you mentioned.

a couple of unfamiliar names there though i'll keep my eyes peeled for.
thanks beautiful !

Bardo Pond is one of the newer ones i've found.
also Waterline Drift, Bowery Electric (older shit is amazing)

anyone heard any of these guys...
(i havn't, just read about them)

Clue to Kalo
California's Nobody
Christian Fennesz
Phaser
Voyager one
Melody Unit
Up in Flames
Broken Social Scene
the Peter Parkers

also forgot about Gregor Samsa..
i have a single of these guys..very slowdive-ish...dreamy..
even has guy & girl on vocals, which is usually nice.

check em out.
Snugglebuster
Known user

Post by Snugglebuster »

oh yea your^^^ name reminded me...A beautiful Machine

very droney, noisey band. they have tonnes of mp3's available
on mp3.com. well used to anyway.

i just discovered my roomate has a Stradford 4 cd already..
i'll have to give it a listen.
a beautiful noise
Known user

Waterline Drift! They are a local band here from San Diego, a rather boring band as well, but if you like that sound another local band is Goodbye Blue Monday, and Lowcloudcover, you will probably lke both of them.

xxxshonnxxx
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

You should try Manitoba - 'Up In Flames', it was compared to Spiritualized and early Merury Rev (in particular) in the press

It deserves these kind of commendations, it has a very much more programmed and sequeced feel than any recordings by the above, but in no way is it souless.

It remind me in parts of LGM or L&GMen, a raging inferno trapped behind shiny glass.

Because of this it is particularly enjoyable to listen to the album REALLY fucking loud.

You lose no details in the top or bottom end... or is that just me?

:twisted:
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

If you can find a CD by a Canadian band called Bloemfontein you'll be very well rewarded. I think they've done 2 - all improvised stuff but very good and with a lot of wall of shimmery guitar type stuff. The second CD is particularly excellent. Sadly these are pressed in miniscule quanities, but if you can get hold of spzretent he may be able to help, being a close associate of the band. He got me my CDs anyway and I think they're fucking great. Web stuff: http://home.cogeco.ca/~mattbakerjr/index2.html or email the band at: bloemfonteinband@hotmail.com

Not sure if Bardo Pond would be found in the shoegazing section of your local store! The NME (God bless 'em!) call them psych metal - an equally confusing classification!
Last edited by runcible on Sat Nov 29, 2003 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
asd2112
Known user

Post by asd2112 »

psych metal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! now that sounds good eh?
i don't want to be your lover i just want to be your victim

asd
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

asd2112 wrote:psych metal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! now that sounds good eh?
Actually psych metal can be pretty good as far as I'm concerned. The best moments of Electric Wizard (such as the utterly incredible Burnout from Supercoven, or The Outsider from Let Us Prey) rank among some of the best music I've heard for years. Forget the Doom Metal tag - these guys have taken way, WAY too many drugs to play it as straight as that and are more psychedelic than anything.
Snugglebuster
Known user

Post by Snugglebuster »

a beautiful noise wrote:Waterline Drift! They are a local band here from San Diego, a rather boring band as well,
what i heard of them i didn't mind. i actually really like one or two tracks i have, but yea i can see how some would consider them boring.

thanks for the recommendations people.. i'm taking notes.
sublow
Known user

Post by sublow »

I'd like to allso recommand a pretty new band called "The Meeting Places", sounds really really good, and here's a link for u to catch some info about them: http://www.words-on-music.com/WM12.html

Allso I must agree that Mojave 3 and Neil Hastead albums are fantastic, especielly Mojave 3 new album "Spoon&Rafter"..., just catch the first song, "Bluebird of happiness" and u surelly love it...
grim66
Known user

shoegazing

Post by grim66 »

how about the kitchens of distinction or curve
Juzba
Known user

Post by Juzba »

Snugglebuster wrote: anyone heard any of these guys...
(i havn't, just read about them)

Clue to Kalo
California's Nobody
Christian Fennesz
Phaser
Voyager one
Melody Unit
Up in Flames
Broken Social Scene
the Peter Parkers

check em out.
yeah, fennesz is really good stuff

for point of reference, I reccomend Endless Summer (warm, emotional, an homage to Pet Sounds really. Still electronic though), Field Recordings (possibly his best) and if you stand a bit more avantgarde stuff, then the Fenno'berg project is really his best stuff. It 's a collective featuring Christian Fennesz, Jim O' Rourke (Sonic Youth) and Peter Rehberg (one of the founders of the fantastic austrian Mego label). This collective has done two albums, of which the first is an absolute classic (The magic of Fennoberg). Basically a collection of edited pieces from impromptu laptop gigs. Don't be alarmed by this, the result is outstanding.

hope that helped
wadders
New user

Post by wadders »

Since youre from Canada, I assume you know about SIANspheric? - if not, check them out, will be just what youre looking for!
digital jesus
Known user

Post by digital jesus »

snugglebuster - try godspeed you black emporer for some truely epic wall of sound type stuff, or anything else of their racord label (constellation) is also great
kryptakronz
New user

Post by kryptakronz »

I urge you to check out The Brian Jonestwown Massacre if you haven't yet. I cannot even state how good this guy is. Some very good shoegazing as well as beautiful pop songs. Any of their 10 or so albums are great.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Try the albums by "Her Space Holiday". He's just release his third album and it's very good.
spzretent
Site Admin

Bloemfontein @ The Avalon Windsor Canada

Post by spzretent »

Just a note that Bloemfontein, whom have been mentioned on this site a few times, are playing a one off show at The Avalon in Windsor Ontario this Friday 12/5. The Avalon is one block south of the tunnel on Ouellette Avenue.
For those of you w/in driving distance of Dee-Troit will find this well worth it. Decent beers and relatively cheap. Email me privately if you want more info.
Spz
stevie
Known user

Re: band recommendations..

Post by stevie »

Snugglebuster wrote:i'm having problems finding classic "shoegazer" style bands these days.

i'm talking stuff like..

slowdive
chapterhouse
old verve
old boo radleys
ride
MBV
etc..

washed out vocals, walls of hypnotic guitars, drones, drifting, beautiful but heavy & powerful at times.

any help would be awsome..
Try Come Down and The Dandy Warhols by the Dandy Warhols (oddly) They've both got plenty of everything you're asking for. Their 3rd album, Thirteen tales from Urban Bohemia is also strongly recommended. Another good 'shoegazing' album is Disintegration' by The Cure. They best thing they've done. Yet another recommendation that might've already been mentioned by Runcible, is Kinski. What I've heard of them is fucking brilliant.
Silent Corner/Empty Stage
Known user

Post by Silent Corner/Empty Stage »

Don't be put off by the "prog rock" label, but I suggest you try the following:

Van der Graaf Generator - Godbluff, Vital

Hawkwind - The Space Ritual

King Crimson - Larks Tongues In Aspic, Starless And Bible Black, Red & The Nightwatch

Kingdom Come - Galactic Zoo Dossier

Grobschnitt - Solar Music Live

Peter Hammill - Room Temperature Live

And if all else fails listen to Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music...
Snugglebuster
Known user

Post by Snugglebuster »

dammmnn lotta stuff to search for.

i already have SIANshereic, godspeed YBE.., dandy warhols, mohave 3, brianjonestown massacre..

^^all good shit by the way. (check 'em if you havn't)

about the MEETING PLACES..not too bad man. the songs they let you hear were alright.

just dug out Arab Strap "the red thread" for the 1st time in a while..
this is better than i originally thought. i'll have to keep it in rotation.

..also giving LOW another chance. kinda bored me at first..

once again thanks everyone.
stevie
Known user

Post by stevie »

Just to put in another shout for The Cure's Disintegration, if you've heard She Calls from the Slowdive's Morningrise ep then you've heard Closedown from Disintegration.
Tone Rodent
New user

Good Shoegazer Bands of the Now

Post by Tone Rodent »

Lab Partners
The Warlocks
Tone Rodent
Phaser
Stratford 4
TheWarmth
Known user

Ulrich Schnauss

Post by TheWarmth »

Check out Ulrich Schnauss's album "A Strangely Isolated Place." It's totally influenced by Slowdive, but it's got more electronica going on in it. Really great stuff. He actually did a cover of "Crazy For You," which was a Slowdive tune from their LP Pygmalion - Schnauss's cover is on the Morr Music Compilation called "Blue Skied An' Clear."
man
Known user

shoegazery

Post by man »

you might also check out the soundtrack to 'lost in translation,' a movie set in japan with kevin shields of mbv writing and performing i believe the majority of the music.. some of it is his first since ???
grim66
Known user

shoe/navel gazing

Post by grim66 »

oh yeah.......check out the catherine wheel's first record, FERMENT. and to a lesser degree, their second album, CHROME

and check out NOWHERE by ride.
Snugglebuster
Known user

Post by Snugglebuster »

yep..got FERMENT (and chrome) and NOWHERE..both amazing..a couple of the 1st albums that got me into this music.

Rides "Today forever" single for Nowhere ("sennen" especially) is insane! a couple of my favourite Ride songs on there.

i've heard about that Kevin sheilds soundtrack..dosn't Sophia Coppola direct that flick or something?

never heard of that Ulrich dude, but Slowdives one my favs of all time..so i'll have to make an extra effort to find that.

and "she calls" is awsome. that whole single is. never big on the Cure..but maybe i'll have to give 'em a another chance.

could someone sum up the WARLOCKS for me?
heard a bit about them but not alot..Sonic Boom right?
stimey
Known user

Post by stimey »

maybe a little pre-shoegazer, but the Rain Parade had the jangly guitars and reverb vocals (try Emergency 3rd Rail Power Trip). some of the early Dream Syndicate stuff too. and i always thought of Galaxie 500 as sorta shoegazer. maybe too articulate though. :wink:

and to put the stars & stripes down for a turn, what about Loop? i don't know if it's the chicken or the egg, but the Heaven's End record is definitely something.
a beautiful noise
Known user

Did somebody say The Warlocks?!?!?!

I think I can help define the sound they create. I was in the process of trying out as their bass player.

Think of the cover Spz'd did of "Anyway That You Want Me". Or if you want a direct reference to their sound, they "borrow" Steppenwolfs' "The Pusher" riff, and extend it for 10 or so minutes, brilliant. Very drone and repetitive.

They got 3-4 guitarists, an extremely lazy, yey somehow useful keyboard player, two drummers playing simultaniously and a lead vocalist with an extremely high pitched speaking voice!!

Great band, I just heard that they are going in to the studio w/ Andrew Weatherall, I didn't even know he was alive still.

xxxshonnxxx
man
Known user

Post by man »

Snugglebuster wrote:
i've heard about that Kevin sheilds soundtrack..dosn't Sophia Coppola direct that flick or something?
yea that's the one snugglebuster. for bands, you might also try talk talk's 'laughing stock' which is pretty watery and dreamy. sorry if someone already mentioned this 'un
Snugglebuster
Known user

Post by Snugglebuster »

anyone heard Pacific UV?

supposed to be insane!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!! Endearing. Enduring. Enrapturing. Enchanting. All words used to describe the self-titled debut album from Athens, GA via Sweden quintet, PACIFIC UV. Taking cues from early 90's greats like My Bloody Valentine and Slowdive and current mix masters Sigur Ros and Spiritualized, PACIFIC UV's sound blends cooing male/female harmonies with spacey guitars and twinkling samples. Perhaps it is the infinite nature of this type of music and the equipment used to create it that caused the band to spend nearly 2 and a half years recording and re-recording their debut album with Bright Eyes producer Andy Lemaster and Wilco producer David Barbe. Regardless, band members and fans agree the pristine ambiance of layered sound achieved was well-worth the band's recording process of trial, error and improvisation. Seasoned songstresses Maria Taylor of Azure Ray and Heather McIntosh of Japancakes add a tender layer of sound to an already beautiful mix. "This is that ghostly, subconscious haunt/float music that thankfully, stubbornly, never goes away.It just keeps coming back in newer groups who still want to explore its infinite sonic possibilities." -

"Guitars echo languid melodies and then build toward glacial crescendos. Cellos whir and whispered vocals purr, while drums and chamber pianos enter the conversation only long enough to depart."
Billy wizz.
New user

Re: shoe/navel gazing

Post by Billy wizz. »

grim66 wrote:oh yeah.......check out the catherine wheel's first record, FERMENT. and to a lesser degree, their second album, CHROME

and check out NOWHERE by ride.

Ride were shit hot Andy Bell playing bass in Oasis is criminal.

How about Moose.
helm
Known user

Post by helm »

i remember moose playing in northampton with the cranberries supporting them. glad i caught chapterhouse the week before instead, to be honest with you.