Help Yourself

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

ben crook
Known user

Help Yourself

Post by ben crook »

Complimentary Medicine now being dispensed...
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Wait a minute - aren't those the Friendly Fire bootlegs? :shock: :shock:

Just got my copy the other day.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

incredible
:roll:
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

You have to smile! I'm interested to see what else is coming our way...
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

oh man. That is either funny or annoying, I can't decide which. Is there anything unique there at all? I bet they were directly ripped from the friendly fire CD's. I suppose it is a predictable response to 'bootleg' cd's, but it still seems either tight or childish. I imagine these would never have appeared if they hadn't been put out first.

I am still very glad that I got the actual CD's, and I suppose it settles the argument of people who wanted to download them for nothing. [Ironic that the official site has come down on the side of the people who wanted to rip of the actual release].

But next time Spiritualized, when you offer some rare unreleased out-takes, it would be nice to actually release something that was not available. - Put your money where your mouth is and offer some Pure Phase out-takes maybe?
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

JPB wrote:You have to smile! I'm interested to see what else is coming our way...
not alot, I expect.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

BzaInSpace wrote:Wait a minute - aren't those the Friendly Fire bootlegs?
And the Blue on Blue album.

It's been discussed before...MP3's or CD's.....Glad i payed for a CD of both of them.

How about Jason following on from Will and consider putting out some demos and outtakes of Pure Phase and LAGWAFIS and on a disc (if any exist) ?
What more can the heart of a man desire?
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Ben, here's a request -

Put out the version of 'Pure Phase' as peformed in entirety by the Balenscu Quartet. The greatest classical chill out album...ever! I've heard this certainly does exist.

And how about the cover of 'Wild Thing' ? :twisted:
O P 8
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

BzaInSpace wrote:Wait a minute - aren't those the Friendly Fire bootlegs? :shock: :shock:
Ha ha! Touché, Pierce!
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

If you could bear not to make this freely available to share for a month or so,
...at least this request was honored!

JPB wrote:You have to smile!
They Transmit
Known user

I'm...

Post by They Transmit »

Pretty stunned by this action. In fact I'm almost speechless, I think I'm in the "this is very childish and petty" camp.
Poor Will will never get a break will he, does anyone really think these would have been made available if Will hadn't put out the discs in the first place. Does this mean the multitude of live footage DVD's kicking around are going to be made available? Highly unlikely.
The band nor the label come anywhere near this site and the only time they have bothered to give us something cool it is blatant manipulation to fuck over an old bass player that never got his due at the time.
Dreadful and very shit...
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eat-lights-Become-lights/225847625393
helterskelter
Known user

Post by helterskelter »

good call mr transmit
LunarTunes
Known user

Post by LunarTunes »

I'm one of those folks who believes that bootleg material should be free in this day and age. Artists get ripped off enough and anyone selling bootlegs is doing them a great disservice. I happen to be a Prince fan and have acquired a rather large bootleg collection but have always maintained that I would pay for each and every one of them if Prince chose to release them himself...

That said, I DID buy these from Will because I felt that this was not your average "bootlegger". As a matter of fact, I had already downloaded "Friendly Fire" from Dime and when I ordered "Blue On Blue" I asked if he had any of the first one left. He did, and I bought a copy from him. Here's a guy who was an integral part of making some of the greatest music ever made looking to make a few bucks (quid) from the sale of some unreleased material he was a part of creating. And he went to the effort of pressing them on actual CDs with wonderful, full-color artwork. The high quality of the releases and the low number of copies made combined with a rather low price and shipping rate also mean that Will isn't becoming rich off these things...

Anyway, I guess I'm saying I don't take issue with these appearing here but I do hope that there is some other, truly "unreleased" material ready to join them. And I hope that Will sells out of his CDs (if he hasn't already). If you like what you hear in "Complementary Medicines", consider getting a pressed copy -- it's well worth it...

Peace.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

helterskelter wrote:good call mr transmit
ditto. this is fucking hilarious. this surely would not have been done had Willie not released them. comes right off pure childishness. come the fuck on :roll:

and did I say fuck enough here?

fuckfuckfuck.

I feel better now

and I'm GLAD Willie's got MY $$$. CHA-CHING.
I think I feel it coming on
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Surely Jason knew it would be met with this flat response? It just comes across as a blatant dig at Willie, without much thought for genuine fans.

I'll gladly eat my words if some 'new' material is put up on the site for us.
bcastle21
Known user

Post by bcastle21 »

well which artist actually had the rights to that music?

i believe that an artist (if he/she has the rights to it) should be allowed to do whatever he or she would want with their property. Jason Pierce obviously didn't want that material released without his permission first.

I'm sure Will (no matter what his current relationship with Jason is) knows about this and obviously wants to make a quick buck. That's ok in my opinion, I bought Blue on Blue. The point is though that I bet he didn't ask Jason for permission to release that stuff. I realize he was a key player in that band, but still.
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

It not a question of who owns what. The point is that this board recieves precious little from the band we all support (Jason) so much.
Its pretty much common knowledge that any money ever made from Spiritualized has gone to Jason, yes you may say, why not, he wrote all the tunes etc etc. That argument is utter bollocks though as every album Spz made was worked up in the studio by the line up at the time.
Now I'm not saying Mr P should not get the lions share but it is also common knowledge that pretty much everyone else that has been involved as a band member over the years has received precious little in the way of financial returns.
Will worked in a slaughter house between gigs and Sean sold dope to make ends meet in Bristol.
For fucks sake he saked a WHOLE LINE UP for wanting a decent income from their input into Spz.
So Will would have made what, a few hundred quid from his efforts, so fuck.
This just once again highlights Mr P and his financial intentions and his petty approach to music, I see no soul here, Spiritualized...Spiritual....Don't make me laugh.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I have to agree that i'm pretty sure this was simply done to stop Will making anything from the rarities. Having met Will on several occasions, i have to say he is a brilliant bloke. He's put a fair bit of effort into his releases, actually giving the fans something special that shows he's not just some fly-by-night, cd-in-a-paper-sleeve merchant, but a real lover of what he and the rest of Spiritualized could do back in their day! As someone already said, i seriously doubt he's make a killing on these.

Really fuckin disappointed with this... :(
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Well, if there is anything good to come of all of this, it is that that flamingrev is the board psychic with extraordinary powers of foresight from beyond!!!! :lol: well done mate!!!!

Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:11 pm

"It'd be hilarious if it was the Friendly Fire & Blue On Blue stuff!"
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

I know I know...I even laughed with the guys in the band at the time, and this is no word of a lie, everyone in the room agreed that there would be no way that Spz/Jason would be so petty.
By the way Mr Grev, what do you reckon the lottery numbers might be this weekend :lol:
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

Anway, enough of this disappointing soap opera, I'm off to see Comets on Fire in an hour at the Scala, hopefully they will blast some of there happyness back into this boy,
laters chaps
LunarTunes
Known user

Post by LunarTunes »

JPB wrote:You have to smile! I'm interested to see what else is coming our way...
"How The Blues Should Have Turned Out"? :lol: ...

Peace.
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

LunarTunes wrote:
"How The Blues Should Have Turned Out"? :lol: ...

Peace.
He may as well at this stage.
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

Is it at all possible that there's an agreement in place so that the files have gone up here for free only once Will has sold the cds?
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

So glad I bought the cd's they are a qality product and so glad Will got the cash. Petty beyond belief in my opinion but I would welcome a comment from Ben.
'Remember, change is not good'
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

Tomorrow's winning lotto: 6-6-6-6-6-6

Yeah, I think it's fucking lame. Jason has every right to make this music available, but given the circumstances it seems damn petty.

"Guess what? We're finally going to give you something on this web site! Really! Are you ready for it? Huh? You sure? Here it is....

SOMETHING YOU'VE ALREADY BOUGHT!!! NYAH NYAH, WILL!!! TEACH YOU TO PLAY BASS FOR OL' JASON PIERCE!"
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

I can't help feeling that Will wasn't in the right for releasing the cd's (although I'm grateful he did) and that the site has just responded.

I guess the quality of the 'to follow' stuff will show if this was a petty trick or the start of something really worthwhile...
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

JPB wrote:I can't help feeling that Will wasn't in the right for releasing the cd's (although I'm grateful he did) and that the site has just responded.

I guess the quality of the 'to follow' stuff will show if this was a petty trick or the start of something really worthwhile...
Totally agree.. the real test will be whether the "more stuff to come" will be genuinely unreleased. It may be just that Wills cheeky little bit of bootlegging has forced the site/Spz to 'show their hand' and get this stuff out there.

It is funny though, that the Friendly Fire tracklisting is replicated exactly, including the previously officially released Peel sessions

I for one am fairly happy that this has happened because I never managed to find a copy of Friendly Fire.
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

I think it's fair enough to be honest.
Assuming there has been no behind the scenes deal done here's the situation as it see it.
Will has been good enough to put these things out - he has been paid for the CDs and rightly so. Some here feel this is justified due to perceived financial injustices in the past.
Jason has equal claim if not a much greater claim (being the main writer/composer) to these recordings and has put them up online for free.
We all know that the hardest core fans (which include me) will have already got in there and bought the CDs direct from Will.
We also know there are many many more Spiritualized fans than there are copies of the CD.
Seems to me everyones happy...or at least equally unhappy.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

clewsr wrote:oh man. That is either funny or annoying, I can't decide which. Is there anything unique there at all? I bet they were directly ripped from the friendly fire CD's. I suppose it is a predictable response to 'bootleg' cd's, but it still seems either tight or childish. I imagine these would never have appeared if they hadn't been put out first.

I am still very glad that I got the actual CD's, and I suppose it settles the argument of people who wanted to download them for nothing. [Ironic that the official site has come down on the side of the people who wanted to rip of the actual release].

But next time Spiritualized, when you offer some rare unreleased out-takes, it would be nice to actually release something that was not available. - Put your money where your mouth is and offer some Pure Phase out-takes maybe?
Clewsr, you have just said what it would take me a couple of days to say after getting through the tirade of expletives. Thank you.

As for the stuff to follow...a fuckin' half-decent new long player would suffice...
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

angelsighs wrote:It is funny though, that the Friendly Fire tracklisting is replicated exactly, including the previously officially released Peel sessions

I for one am fairly happy that this has happened because I never managed to find a copy of Friendly Fire.
The same for me.

A quick discography question - does anyone know if 'Smiles (Peel session)', as it appears on Friendly Fire, was every released officially? It's not on the Medication EP - did it appear on one of those Volume compilations?
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

it was on the 7" medication release. The volume release was different I think.
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

clewsr wrote:it was on the 7" medication release. The volume release was different I think.
Thanks - you're right (info here - http://www.discogs.com/release/791490). I've had the Medication EP for ages, but this is the first time I've heard 'Smiles' from the Peel session.

Just browsing the discogs site - here's a peculiar cover version - has anyone heard this?:
http://www.discogs.com/release/867422
Kiki & Herb Will Die For You - At Carnegie Hall
2-15 Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space (1:36) Written-By - Spiritualized
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Who are they?

They cover Prince [when doves cry] Joy Division, Kate Bush, Eminem, Gil-Scott Heron and...and...'Sex Bomb'! Among many others.

And 'Ladies & Gentlemen...'

Mad. Its either really, really bad or the best thing you've ever heard
O P 8
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Sorry to go back to the topic of the moment, (and i doubt we'll get a straight answer) but i wonder who authorised the posting of the FF and BoB discs onto the website?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

clewsr wrote:it was on the 7" medication release. The volume release was different I think.
ok now i'm confused- so the versions of medication on CWV1, the 7" and Friendly Fire are all different? Someone please clarify
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

angelsighs wrote:
ok now i'm confused- so the versions of medication on CWV1, the 7" and Friendly Fire are all different? Someone please clarify
ok, I'll try.

aside from the album version smile came out in the following formats:

- 7" medication - peel session.
- 7" flexi - fucked up inside session
- volume cd also a fucked up inside session I think.

I believe the volume and the 7" flex versions are very similar.

I believe the version on cw1 was the 7" flexi - there was talk at the time of having to go through loads of the disks until they found one that could be used becuase the masters no longer existed.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Jebus Sabes wrote:
Just browsing the discogs site - here's a peculiar cover version - has anyone heard this?:
http://www.discogs.com/release/867422
Kiki & Herb Will Die For You - At Carnegie Hall
2-15 Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space (1:36) Written-By - Spiritualized
oddly, I just read a review about another band doing a cover of this track http://www.laist.com/2007/05/27/concert_review.php although the comparisons with Keane, Coldplay and Snow Patrol sound disturbing.
ben crook
Known user

Post by ben crook »

here's my words on this subject.

firstly, i'm quite shocked by some people's reactions, but they're your opinions and you all entitled to them.

these bootlegs have been put up for a very simple reason.

this material was never meant to be released (being outakes and guide mixes of work-in-progress quality). jason simply wasn't happy with the quality of any of it (except of course the peel sessions which are the property of the BBC).

this site has never discouraged anyone from advertising and selling bootlegs or trading live recordings. essentially it's your site and your free to do what you like.

i don't want to get it to the legalities of these bootlegged recordings, but they're not anyones to profiteer from. simple as that.

now it's out there and part of public domain, you might as well be able to get them for free. it's your choice if you want to buy it or download it from this site.

that's it.

there will be more stuff going up soon that ihopefully you won't have spent money on.

now let's get back to talking about the extraordinary new record that will be coming your way shortly....

x
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

All good points and absolutely true throughout. I don't think anyone has any issue with legalities or rights. It's exactly as you say.

The main point which is present for most people is the build up to the posting of these tracks and then what actually appeared. Baited breath is an understatement for many. Everyone here craves some music from Jason. So when an announcement was made to the effect that demo's etc. were soon to be available people got excited. What has appeared is more of a 'touché' gesture to Will than anything else. I don't think anyone who wanted to hear this music refused on moral grounds to buy the actual discs.

I'm sure Jason realises that his audience are very keen to hear different versions of album tracks, particularly from that era. And I doubt anyone here can deny the incredible quality of the music on the CDs.

I'll correct you on one point though Ben - the moderators at least here have openly discouraged the advertisment and sale of bootlegs. Trading is another issue - the web and trades of this nature have effectively detroyed the live bootleg market (which is a good thing IMHO). But anyone posting links to sites that are trying to make a profit from live CDs has been nipped in the bud very quickly. People zipping in to sell something and the zipping out again aren't welcome as is well known and those are among the few posts that get edited/deleted. People selling gig tickets always do so for face value and anyone selling rarities tend to have at least contributed something of use at some point to the forum.
Last edited by runcible on Wed May 30, 2007 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
estee
Known user

Post by estee »

many thanks for posting these songs up.
now let's get back to talking about the extraordinary new record that will be coming your way shortly....

any news of a release date ??
runcible
Site Admin

Re: ...

Post by runcible »

They Transmit wrote:Anway, enough of this disappointing soap opera, I'm off to see Comets on Fire in an hour at the Scala, hopefully they will blast some of there happyness back into this boy,
laters chaps
I'm told the sound was so crap you couldn't hear what they were playing. Everyone says the Scala has dreadful sound (such as Clinic being awful the other week). What a waste of a quality act.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

well i'm pretty stoked (and enthralled upon first listen) to have this material, so thanks a lot for whoever is responsible for putting it up.

i do though understand why some people feel this is a callous exercise to deny Will some cash. and i do understand they are Jason's songs and he's entitled to their reproduction. whatever. i'm just glad that if it was something petty, it's settled with the likes of this and not by getting lawyers involved.

and i HOPE to CHRIST the new album IS soon and is ELECTRIC!
gonna burn brightly
for a while
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

i listened to them last night finally, and to be honest, i'm really glad i didn't pay for them.

I think if jason/theband wanted them to be heard they would have been released on the Complete Works.

i must say the violin version of "anyway..." is amazingly horrible, in a good way.

me.
LunarTunes
Known user

Post by LunarTunes »

I completely agree with what Ben and runcible have posted above. But as for getting "back" to talking about the new record...

...you first, Ben :P ...

Peace.
They Transmit
Known user

Scala

Post by They Transmit »

Hey Runcible,

Correct on every count, the Scala has perhaps the worst sound I have ever heard at a venue. The sound was just plain dreadful at the Comets gig the other night, in fact it was so bad we left after 3 songs from COF.
You literally couldn't make out anything that was being played it was just unbelievable that a venue can get away with such dross.
good times
Known user

Post by good times »

only wrong thing is, this space was closed for ages, and then Will came around with some stuff, and then the space opened with the same stuff.

Yes, they're all the work of J Spaceman, but where were you before?

Anyway, let's hope ben comes up with the pure phase and ladies & gentlemen stuff, so that would be pretty good..

can't wait to hear the altenate mixes of pure phase tracks.

also, rare live recordings would be highly appreciated. for example, glastonbury 1992 and cn towers "highest gig ever" 1997...
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Runcible said it best in response to Ben. I am terribly thrilled that Ben has reported that these are not the only complimentary medicines that will be put up. And hopefully it won't be in response to someone else outing them first. :roll: Ok, I'm done with this thread.
ben crook
Known user

Post by ben crook »

here's a clue to the next downloads

1st april 2007

keep them peeled... x
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

ben crook wrote:here's a clue to the next downloads

1st april 2007

keep them peeled... x
April Fools Day, again apt.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

1st april 2007

keep them peeled... x
anyone got a time machine?
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

hmmm, John Peel related then?
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

1st April 2007 was the Spring Heel Jack / Spaceman impro at the Spitz was it not? Wasn't there but just checked back through the prescriptions announcements.

Anyone who went care to comment on what we could expect?
They Transmit
Known user

spitz

Post by They Transmit »

The spitz gig is the only thing I can think of.
It was pretty awesome, they played two sets, the first one, as I have already mentioned in an earlier post was fantastic so fingers crossed it that :P
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Comedy!
Lets look at the facts. Who wrote these songs?????

So if you had got to the effort of writing and recording a particually fine album (which lets be frank is never going to make you a millionare), and then found out that one of your old mates was making money flogging them down at the market for a bit of money on the side. Would you think great, Im glad hes making money of my songs or would you be a little bit annoyed?

At the end of the day its free stuff, dont all start crying kids!
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

,,,thought we had all kinda moved on from this...
G*
Known user

Re: spitz

Post by G* »

They Transmit wrote:The spitz gig is the only thing I can think of.
It was pretty awesome, they played two sets, the first one, as I have already mentioned in an earlier post was fantastic so fingers crossed it that :P
Yeah, absolutely. It was an amazing night. I really hope it's that. I can't see what else it could be...
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

unless "1st april 2007" is the title of the new album... :D
ABOCA
Known user

Help Yourself

Post by ABOCA »

1st april 2007

keep them peeled... x
Baby I'm Just A Fool? (New album version rather than live from The Lowry)
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

Now that would be something to write home about!!
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

simonkeeping wrote:Comedy!
Lets look at the facts. Who wrote these songs?????

So if you had got to the effort of writing and recording a particually fine album (which lets be frank is never going to make you a millionare), and then found out that one of your old mates was making money flogging them down at the market for a bit of money on the side. Would you think great, Im glad hes making money of my songs or would you be a little bit annoyed?

At the end of the day its free stuff, dont all start crying kids!
Surely this J.Spaceman is trading on his association with the now defunct Spacemen 3 and Spiritualized. I mean are re-mixes, sound art, soundtracks, explorative music, acoustic meanderings and the now available mp3's enough to be acting as such?

The phrase two-birds with one stone comes to mind.

Ensure the fans are rewarded for their loyalty, piss of an old adversary, ensure interest is sustained in something that IMHO has failed to deliver since the mid-late 90's.

It is interesting that the Blue-on-Blue thread started 31 March 2007. With copies being delivered late April/Early May.
The Complimentary Medicines were dispatched 29 May 2007.

So fans fuck your loyalty, we'll let you buy them first-without stating our position on the matter.
Anyway, i'm loving the emphasis on 'profiteering' and 'free' in both the lead-up and aftermath posts.

On the majority of bandsites/websites I go to, they don't need to advertise that downloads are free or are done on a non-profiteering manner. Why do Spiritualized need too state this? I'm assuming that Ben is the mouthpiece on here for brand Spiritualized.

It's a bit much and thats mainly my point. So they got hold of a CD of these outakes and uploaded them. How much were the CDs? Ok, now add up the investment every single fucking fan has made over the years with regards Spiritualized.

Tell you what, lets call by-gones by sending us all a bit of tat paraphernalia that may be lying around at brand Spiritualized HQ. I fucking doubt it.

Anyway, what endless formats/packaging is the new album being released in this time?

"Free fuckin downloads" - and you advertise it - Tossers.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

ben crook wrote:here's my words on this subject.

firstly, i'm quite shocked by some people's reactions, but they're your opinions and you all entitled to them.

these bootlegs have been put up for a very simple reason.

this material was never meant to be released (being outakes and guide mixes of work-in-progress quality). jason simply wasn't happy with the quality of any of it (except of course the peel sessions which are the property of the BBC).

this site has never discouraged anyone from advertising and selling bootlegs or trading live recordings. essentially it's your site and your free to do what you like.

i don't want to get it to the legalities of these bootlegged recordings, but they're not anyones to profiteer from. simple as that.

now it's out there and part of public domain, you might as well be able to get them for free. it's your choice if you want to buy it or download it from this site.

that's it.

there will be more stuff going up soon that ihopefully you won't have spent money on.

x
Look Ben, I aint on a crusade against you personally but as you are the link between Spiritualized and here, its the way it is.

I take it from the 'Pierce wasn't happy with it' line that he had some input into the decision to put it on download?
Why then offer work to an even wider audience, that he wasn't happy with? There are far more 'transients' on here than contributors, hence the wider audience.
Why not stand by the initial statement that the quality was sub-standard? Which apparently it is.
So as a mark of respect to us, brand Spiritualized have decided to furnish us with sub-standard music. Thanks but no thanks.

As for the line about you 'hopefully it will be stuff you wont have spent your money on'...when did you announce this in the Complimentary Meds thread...you could have stated Spiritualized position on Blue-on-Blue then, surely!
Anyway, it's clearly not about the money for most on here; perhaps that sais more about Spiritualized than about the people on here.
People are so keen to hear anything Spiritualized related, even the dross because it gives them a bigger picture of how ideas are formulated, subtle changes...you know the story behind the music.

I think in future, that any such ideas for 'free' mp3's should be far more considerate to the members on the board and you're right it is very much our board.

Thats all.
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

Don't understand your hostility at all chap/missus. Bad day?

I've bought the CDs from Will withouth feeling that J or anyone else has lost out. Hell i've bought moany bootlegs in the past where no one other than the bootlegger has been paid. I've also bought cd's/tshirts from the band direct rather than cheaper online or whatever.

Fact is these recordings are out there and (as none of them have ever been released by record labels then who owns the copyright to them is most unclear and becomes a moral matter) and, whatever the reason (all the above is supposition although I am interested as to why people seem to be assuming the worst of J) they have now been made available on this site and will therefore be heard by many more people than might otherwise have been the case.

As we all know. Live boots...and also the Complete Works 7 disc sets have been traded/downloaded via these forums before with no word of complaint or attempt to stop it.

Seems to me to be no real winners or losers in this one.
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

Was a good rant though, I enjoyed it, being one who likes to blow off a bit of steam every now and again.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

ononist wrote:Don't understand your hostility at all chap/missus. Bad day?

I've bought the CDs from Will withouth feeling that J or anyone else has lost out. Hell i've bought moany bootlegs in the past where no one other than the bootlegger has been paid. I've also bought cd's/tshirts from the band direct rather than cheaper online or whatever.

Fact is these recordings are out there and (as none of them have ever been released by record labels then who owns the copyright to them is most unclear and becomes a moral matter) and, whatever the reason (all the above is supposition although I am interested as to why people seem to be assuming the worst of J) they have now been made available on this site and will therefore be heard by many more people than might otherwise have been the case.

As we all know. Live boots...and also the Complete Works 7 disc sets have been traded/downloaded via these forums before with no word of complaint or attempt to stop it.

Seems to me to be no real winners or losers in this one.
Chap. Yes, awful day!

I'm not interested in who is/isn't missing out. I'm interested in why now Spiritualized believe we should be so acceptant of sub-standard work.
Why the need to announce it in such a manner...why not with "first downloads available" in complimentary meds. Why all the bullshit about free and profiteering?
I think that as a website there should be other downloads and in-fact go back to the re-re-re-incarnation of the website and it was stated that these would be offered soon! So why now? Good/Bad Timing?

I didn't buy from Will and won't be downloading sub-standard pish. Furthermore; I do not download bootlegs, torrents??? or whatever as I'd rather purchase. I would however download official mp3's that a band are happy with.

I just find the whole scenario very patronising and much of my hostility was patronising in return...you get what you give, you give what you get.

As for winners and losers, thats not what i'm talking about. I'm trying (very trying!) to get into words, that its a poor show as to how brand Spiritualized views its fans.

Nevermind, a bad day, thats all.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

eleKtroniK:musiK wrote: Nevermind, a bad day, thats all.
but you did it all without a 'tirade of expletives' Good Work!

But give them a listen. I can't agree they're substandard. Try these blues, Try Angel sighs. Try the I want you instramental. Maybe Jason had a chance to listen to the CD's and thought, 'my me we were shit hot in those days. Let them eat Cake!'