Help Yourself

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

ElectroniK chappy.
How can you say it's substandard if you haven't heard any of it?
Zenchan
Known user

Post by Zenchan »

is wrote:I haven't bought this cd thing you're all talking about. So to make up for that I'm not going to download this other thing you're all talking about.

THERE!
I recommend at least downloading Didgeridoo :wink:
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

Ive got a nice picture of a bowl of sugar puffs to download it. Or a horse standing next to a tennis racket. I swapped the horse for the racket but the previous wner kindly let me take a piccy 1st.
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

ORBITAL wrote:Ive got a nice picture of a bowl of sugar puffs to download it. Or a horse standing next to a tennis racket. I swapped the horse for the racket but the previous wner kindly let me take a piccy 1st.
Whilst cereal is always an aesthetic pleasure, I could do with the photographic juxtaposition of the equine and the sporting item to complete a private collection of mine. Where can a genuine enthusiast procure these unique images?
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

Can the discography section be updated with Friendly Fire and Blue on Blue please?

I'll get my coat...
Mathman
Known user

Post by Mathman »

I'd just like to say TA!
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

I once read where J records every gig through the soundboard for 'quality control' purposes, so somewhere there's a big stack of CDs with blistering performances just ready to be downloaded. How about putting up the Edinburgh Acoustic mainlines concert (which apparently Jason regards as one one of his best gigs ever, so he must be happy with the quality) with all the whoops and drunken singalongs taken out? or the Brixton gig that wa son the XFM site without the slowing down effects?
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Jasonsmith wrote: or the Brixton gig that wa son the XFM site without the slowing down effects?
Yes please.
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

mojo filters wrote:
ORBITAL wrote:Ive got a nice picture of a bowl of sugar puffs to download it. Or a horse standing next to a tennis racket. I swapped the horse for the racket but the previous wner kindly let me take a piccy 1st.
Whilst cereal is always an aesthetic pleasure, I could do with the photographic juxtaposition of the equine and the sporting item to complete a private collection of mine. Where can a genuine enthusiast procure these unique images?
You want a hard copy sent over man?. I can do the cereal for you too. No extra charge
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

ORBITAL wrote:
mojo filters wrote:
You want a hard copy sent over man?. I can do the cereal for you too. No extra charge
Go on then, the harder the better if you could be so kind. As for cereal, I prefer Kellogs Common Sense.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

oh boy. the last time I took orbie up . . . one word. mold.
I think I feel it coming on
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

purespace wrote:oh boy. the last time I took orbie up . . .
Probably a story we don't need to know the gory details of . . . in the interests of good taste :wink:
Dave Chappelle
throb
Known user

Post by throb »

More in Complementary Medicines

It's the Spring Heel Jack gig. Thanks Ben!
SPZ outpatients - forum radio on LAST.FM
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

mojo filters wrote:
purespace wrote:oh boy. the last time I took orbie up . . .
Probably a story we don't need to know the gory details of . . . in the interests of good taste :wink:
Indeed. But it did involve an international incident and toast.
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

Thank you Ben !
G*
Known user

Post by G* »

Yeah, thanks, Ben. Top work. Was hoping someone had recorded that one.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Cheers Ben! VERY much appreciated. :D
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Thank You Jase and Ben and SPH. we will not forget that. thanks for sharing that recording with us. i mean it.
will
New user

Post by will »

I think I deserve a little thanks.
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Thanks to the Spaceman for putting this up. I really enjoyed it. Blistering set.

Can anyone tell me what song came on when the band finished their set? It sounded great. I'd love to sniff it out.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

What happened to the 'Blue on Blue' tracks? I'm still waiting for a reply from Will 'cause I took my time emailing about ordering it, but would love a preview, plus what if he's got none left :( :?:
Dave Chappelle
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Mojo, I'm a bit confused about what you mean.

The entire Blue On Blue CD is still on the 'Complimentary Medicines' section of this site, under 'Bootlegs'.

I know Sister Ray are still advertising copies, and I've seen a few on eBay too.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Fuzzhead wrote:Mojo, I'm a bit confused about what you mean.

The entire Blue On Blue CD is still on the 'Complimentary Medicines' section of this site, under 'Bootlegs'.

I know Sister Ray are still advertising copies, and I've seen a few on eBay too.
D'oh...curse the poor contrast on this borrowed machine! Every light colour just looks off-white.

Thanks A - should keep me happy until I manage to get my hands on a proper copy, though from the size of those aiff files the quality should be good...shame it's a Mac-oriented format I've not used for a long time, any suggestions for the best conversion tool for PCs would be appreciated. I think I used to use Riverpast but I had to lose the app due to shortage of disc space, plus pretty sure it wasn't the easiest thing to find a working key etc via d/l.
Dave Chappelle
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Thanks folks - managed to archive the aiff files plus wav conversions and VBR compressed, to preserve whatever I've acquired during this multiple PC catastrophe :!:

Yeah...blazing fiddles! Fuck whatever fusion connotations this elicits - I've just heard the best version of 'Anyway That You Want Me' though Evie Sands runs a close second...bring on the strings as well as the horns for the next Spiritualized tour :D

Thanks to all the folks who put these tunes on the website, from what I've heard of Blue on Blue so far, it's better than I expected...can't wait for the proper CD to turn up!
Dave Chappelle
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

Pierce can say whatever he wants---and he's certainly a genius---but my favorite album was and still is LAGWAFIS....and that was a full band effort, articulated by the band on Jason's vision. Now, the Stones were notorious for putting "Jagger/ Richards" on things that they barely wrote (most notably in the Mick Taylor era). I'm not saying Pierce did this; however, I think that there were some ideas that went beyond "all songs written by Jason Pierce". It depends on what you consider a writing credit, and if Will wrote some of the key components on "Pure Phase" or whatever, then he may be entitled to some $$$.

I know someone who's friends with Will, and apparently he's moving to Toronto.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Thanks Will. We wouldn't ever have got to hear them otherwise. I hope you sold the lot before the tracks were put up here. Jason still owes you.
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

will wrote:I think I deserve a little thanks.
You know it's true.

Love,

Ian
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
ribblemanilla
Known user

Post by ribblemanilla »

[quote="BzaInSpace"]Ben, here's a request -

Put out the version of 'Pure Phase' as peformed in entirety by the Balenscu Quartet. The greatest classical chill out album...ever! I've heard this certainly does exist.

Eh! what the fuck? Is that for real? Do you have any more info on this? I'd sell mine and anyone elses granny to get my hands on that. Jaysus that sounds amazing
ribblemanilla
Known user

Post by ribblemanilla »

Holy fuck that Spitz gig sounds ANIMAL!
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

i do believe there is an ultimate spiritualized rarity.......

intial test pressings for amazing grace contained an extra, as yet unreleased track........which never made the final version.

sadly the person i know with a copy of it, refuses to do anything with it for the time being.

will has certainly sold out of the first of the two bootleg cds. i got his last one.
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

and i'd like to point out......i'm very happy to have bought the cds from carruthers.......and the posting of the mp3's on here, at least means jason had to buy a copy to post them...........

and i dont think its had much of an impact, i think most of them were sold by the time they were posted on here..........seriously childish though.

the new album is being recorded in mousehole studios, nottingham i believe.
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

a beautiful noise wrote:
I think if jason/theband wanted them to be heard they would have been released on the Complete Works.
if he knew they existed and owned the out takes possibly. or he'd have remembered to keep the out-takes during the rugby recording sessions in 1990 ish.

dedicated's filing system is near non existent, and the masters of several spz recordings (including the smiles flexi and x-files theme tune) have been lost for good.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

andyblacktoo wrote:i do believe there is an ultimate spiritualized rarity.......

intial test pressings for amazing grace contained an extra, as yet unreleased track........which never made the final version.
But wasn't AG leaked to the net long before it was released (or indeed before the band even had a record deal to release it). Yet this track has never surfaced. so what does it sound like?
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

Coming back to an earlier subject in this thread, I've just rediscovered a copy of Wire from July 1998 where Jason does the Invisible Jukebox and when commenting on the The Balanescu Quartet says: "The Balanescu Quartet played on the second album... Although we've never made them available, they did string quartet versions of every song on that album in a similar way." (in reference to the Kraftwerk covers album Possessed).
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

BzaInSpace wrote: The greatest classical chill out album...ever!

Also - was the amazing grace song 'I am what I am'?

I remember a listing put up on the no-longer-available blue pages before AG was leaked that had an extra song listed. It might have been something else though.
O P 8