Albums you hated at first, then loved - & vice versa

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

twentysixdollars
Known user

Albums you hated at first, then loved - & vice versa

Post by twentysixdollars »

Inspired by an old post.

Hated at first, now love:
1. Richard Hell & The Voidoids - Blank Generation
2. Marvin Gaye - I Want You
3. Sonny Rollins - The Bridge (maybe a bit strong to say I hated it at first)
4. Spiritualized - Amazing Grace (ahem)
5. Lou Reed - Coney Island Baby

Loved at first, now hate:
1. My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
2. Oasis - Definitely Maybe (confirmed yesterday)
3. Ornette Coleman Double Quartet - Free Jazz
4. The Zombies - Odessey and Oracle (again, maybe a bit strong to say I hate it)
The Flight Lieutenant
Known user

Post by The Flight Lieutenant »

Loved at first, now hate
Anthony & The Johnsons - I Am A Bird Now

actually, thats about it.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

the most recent 2 spring heel jack lps..
really hated them at first, but then was listening to some stuff on random, one of their tracks came on and it totally clicked. i think there's something about hearing the music without knowing what it is... gives you more of an honest perspective on it.

daniel johnston too - couldn't get past his voice at first, but then one day i suddenly didn't care how amateurish it all sounded and the sheer honesty and emotion behind the songs started to shine through.

and.....the self titled beta band album. sounded like shite at first, but given time...blah

can't think of owt in particular that i loved and now hate... not sure why :P

i'll also propose a new category - music that everyone says you should love but you can't help hating... my particular example of this: the animal collective!!
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

I loved every Beatle record I heard until I was seventeen and then realized they all sucked.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

loved at first, now dislike

Mazzy Star - Among my Swan
The Beloved - can't remeber the name, just cringe when there music comes on
Ride - Tarantula

disliked at first, now love

JAMC - stoned and dethroned
AFX - Chosen Lords
Television - Marquee Moon
twentysixdollars
Known user

runaway wrote:I loved every Beatle record I heard until I was seventeen and then realized they all sucked.
On first reading I missed the word "Beatle" and found the rest highly amusing. It's still amusing.
vaporizer
Known user

Post by vaporizer »

Hated at first:

Primal scream - Screamadelica. Got it ages ago, wasn't until years later that i actually "got it" though.

Spring Heel Jack - amassed. Total dissapointment at first listen, didn't listen to it again for years. Had kind of the same experience as moop did, listened to it by accident and it actually sounded really good. Perhaps a case of built up expectations?

Bob Dylan - Nashville skyline.

The other way around:

No protection, Mad professor vs. massive attack. Perhaps hate is to strong a word. It is probably more a case of an album that is so intimately connected to a certain period in life that now feels very distant. Plus the fact that you've listened to it way to many times. There is no way i could bring myself to listen all the way through that album now .
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I used to own Marillion albums as I emerged from my teens. I'll leave you to work out which way round I'm looking at them.

But then Abba's Greatest Hits was played incessantly on my record player (I didn't have a stereo back then) in the 70's. Although they haven't featured on my playlist for almost 30 years I'd still classify 'Dancing Queen' as one of the greatest songs of its genre I have ever heard.

I hated reggae when I was a kid too.

Ask Ian, whose opinions and viewpoint are almost always worth listening to, what he thought of Spacemen 3 the first time he ever heard any.

Care to share your original 'OK Computer' review with us $26?

(we're sort of into the 'guilty pleasures' thread for some here)
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

Hated at first (well, hate is a extreme word, more like misunderstood): Spacemen 3, "Revolution". Not an album, per say, but it might as well be....Spacemen pretty much had two riffs their whole career, harhar. Love 'em now though.

Let's see.....bands I loved, but hate now:

Pearl Jam (mostly due to Eddie Vedder)

I don't really hate many bands that I used to love. I think there just gets to be that point where they start maybe being irrelevant or not as good anymore, and it's not necessarily bad, it's just that it doesn't particularly inspire you to keep on buying their stuff.

Can we have a third category? "Bands you loved, but then forgot how much you love them"? I saw Dinosaur Jr. a couple of days ago live on their reunion tour, and they were fucking brilliant. I hadn't listened to my Dino cassettes (now there's nostalgia for 'ya) in awhile. Just one of those bands where they fall through the cracks....it's not that you don't like them anymore, it's that maybe you've moved onto other stuff, and then they knock your ass off and make you realize what a fool you were for forgetting how good they were.
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

runcible wrote:Ask Ian, whose opinions and viewpoint are almost always worth listening to, what he thought of Spacemen 3 the first time he ever heard any.
Apologies to those who have heard this before... It was the 1989 Reading Festival. My first festival, and I was excited. But it took ages to get a wristband, it was overcast, and as we entered the arena, it started to rain. There we were, at the back of a huge field, getting cold and wet. In the distance, I could see an unimpressive looking group who appeared to be playing a boring, repetitive dirge consisting mostly of one chord. I begun to wonder if I'd made a mistake in coming.

And that was the last gig that Spacemen 3 ever played.

They were followed by My Bloody Valentine, who I also thought were awful.

Times change.

Love,

Ian
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

Ian wrote:
runcible wrote:Ask Ian, whose opinions and viewpoint are almost always worth listening to, what he thought of Spacemen 3 the first time he ever heard any.
Apologies to those who have heard this before... It was the 1989 Reading Festival. My first festival, and I was excited. But it took ages to get a wristband, it was overcast, and as we entered the arena, it started to rain. There we were, at the back of a huge field, getting cold and wet. In the distance, I could see an unimpressive looking group who appeared to be playing a boring, repetitive dirge consisting mostly of one chord. I begun to wonder if I'd made a mistake in coming.

And that was the last gig that Spacemen 3 ever played.

They were followed by My Bloody Valentine, who I also thought were awful.

Times change.

Love,

Ian
Brilliant!!!!

Another one that I forgot: Urge Overkill's "Exit The Dragon". I think, like most people, I expected "Saturation, Part 2". I was totally underwhelmed by "Exit..." for the first while. Love it now. Actually, it's one of the few that I still have various gripes with that disappear or reappear, given the day. But there's nods to lots of classic albums, from the Stones' "Exile On Main Street", to some KISS albums, Cheap Trick, etc. But it's a very dark record, and I do have to be in the right mood to listen to it, as opposed to "Saturation", which feels like a feel good party record at any given time.
Gruff
Known user

Post by Gruff »

I found my Auteurs collection the other day and put all their albums on in turn. Or at least I tried to... I mainly spent the time reaching for the 'skip' button. I'd say the only one that sticks as still being memorable is 'After Murder Park' for me. Even New Wave was boring mindless and forgetable.

I used to love Autechre but have gone off them, not sure hate is the correct word though-I just can't be botghered to listen the bloody constant beeping anymore!

I hated 'Lather' by Zappa at first, but love it now as his best work...
When the hand points to the moon only the fool looks at the finger
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Ah, man, the Auteurs were great!!! I still love all of their albums.

Also, $26 ... what's your beef with Odessey and Oracle? I would have thought that one would be a favorite of yours.
G*
Known user

Post by G* »

TheWarmth wrote:Ah, man, the Auteurs were great!!! I still love all of their albums.
Aye, too right...'Now I'm A Cowboy' still sounds pretty good. I can vouch for it...
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

I'm not going to talk about records here because there's not enough time.
Instead my confession of my giggest mistake ever.

Clapham Grand. 1992ish i was (and still am) a huge Levitation fan. (Quick aside to get this on topic was anyone else here at Hackney Empire for Irresistable Force (dj), Levitation, Aphex Twin (dj), Spiritualized - pretty much a dream line up for me??) Anyhoo the bill was Radiohead who were shit that night, shit now, and shit forever, Levitation, then Cardiacs. Being 15 we had to leave to get the last train. Cardiacs came on and started Home Of Fadeless Splendour (a hymn)...we left............. theyhave subsequently been one of my fave bands ever and certainly one of the best bands ever even though alot of it is on tapes these days.
twentysixdollars
Known user

TheWarmth wrote: Also, $26 ... what's your beef with Odessey and Oracle? I would have thought that one would be a favorite of yours.
What a peculiar thing to say! Why would you assume it was one of my favorites? Haven't I proven myself sufficiently capricious so as not to be so predictable?

What's my beef? Well, quoting myself [paraphrasing Robert Christgau on Yes]:

'Because great contrivance is still contrivance, and several of these unassailably clever melodies do absolutely nothing for me.'

More specifically (still quoting myself):
'Because "Care of Cell 44" would be a perfect tribute-cum-parody to "Wouldn't It Be Nice" if the vocals weren't mixed so irritatingly loud on the turnaround ("...FEEL! SO-O-O-O GOOD YOU'RE CO-MING HOOOOOME!")' - admittedly, this is a minor gripe.

The following are major gripes:
1. 'Because "Beechwood Park" is just an inferior version of "A Whiter Shade of Pale", which is, after all, [just] "A Whiter Shade of Pale".'
2. 'Because "Brief Candles" was a single and yet it's easily the most [mundane thing] on the record.'
3. 'Because "Butcher's Tale" is [among] the most engaging tune[s] and most people hate it.'
4. 'Because there's not nearly enough breathy Blunstone.' - a huge liability - in my opinion Blunstone's voice was the best thing about the Zombies and on Odessey he's underused - his only real showpieces turn out to be the two best tunes, "Time of the Season" and "This Will Be Our Year".
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

hated at first, now love-
my bloody valentine- isn't anything
brian jonestown massacre- ...and this is our music
jesus and mary chain- stoned and dethroned
pulp- this is hardcore
anything by superchunk
anything by nick cave
elliott smith- xo
anything by the warlocks

loved at first, now hate-
sleater-kinney- one beat
anything by pearl jam
anything by modest mouse
anything by bright eyes
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

$26 ... I'm actually fairly certain that Odessey & Oracle is one of your favorite albums. Your attempt to fool us will prove a fruitless endeavor.
Last edited by TheWarmth on Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eeee22
Known user

Post by eeee22 »

I never hated either of these but just wasn't a huge fan after the first listen or two
Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
Elliot Smith - Either/Or

This was my first proper introduction to both artists so that is probably why my ears took some time to adjust but now I love both albums.

Another , Neutral Milk Hotel - On Avery Island
I was quite sure had no redeeming qualities but now I've come to dig a few tracks off there, mostly the second half of the album.

I think that is one of my main problems when hearing a new album, if the first half is awful I don't make it to the second half. Most recently I listened to Danielson - Ships and found the first 4 or 5 tracks too boring to go on. Only time will tell
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Julian Cope's Jehovahkill...

Used to listen to this with my mates just before i started smoking weed. Just couldn't get it. Was never a fan of Teardrop Explodes or anything but i just didn't get it. A year or so later, i picked this up cheap out of curiosity (vinyl is nicely presented). Took it home, pu it on and listened... and listened... and listened again... then it just clicked!!!

Each listen just brought more and more of it to light. I fell for it... BIG TIME! Been a devout fan since. A few difficult albums since, but every other is a bloody marvel to listen to! Live, they blow most acts of the fuckin stage!!!

JC is not only an obviously highly intelligent guy, but he's a damn fine lyricist too with a note for a good old guitar effects freakout!!!

Right up my street... 8)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The last Kinski album - Alpine Static. Didn't like it at all when I first got it but I love it now.
noOne
Known user

Post by noOne »

i'm not exactly following directions here but this does tie in with the original question. i'm just not listing specific albums.

5 that i like now that i didn't like at first

- Echo & The Bunnymen
- Death Cab For Cutie
- Oasis
- Postal Service
- Antony & The Johnsons
Lord Please Fuck My Mind For Good
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Whaaaaa? Death Cab For Cutie??

As for me, the Brian Jonestown Massacre's Bravery, Repetition, and Noise used to be an album that I never enjoyed listening to. It is now my belief that this is their deepest, most brutal album. Every song on the album is enjoyable by my standards.
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

I'm gonna reverse $26 on Loveless - took me years to understand exactly what was going on with that record, but now I think I finally get it. And love it.

On the flipside, when I was a high school kid, I was obsessed with Radiohead - now I can take 'em or leave 'em (with the exception of Pablo Honey, which still holds up, imho). I won't go into the cassette with The Offspring "Smash" taped on one side, and Pearl Jam "VS" on the other, that I almost played to death. Seems as though Pearl Jam are a favourite "loved then forgotten" group around here...
. . . heligoland . . .
29.11.07 mécanique ondulatoire, paris // 16.01.08 divan du monde, paris
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

Oh, and Tori Amos. Man, is she incredibly annoying all of a sudden...
. . . heligoland . . .
29.11.07 mécanique ondulatoire, paris // 16.01.08 divan du monde, paris
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

toomilk wrote:Whaaaaa? Death Cab For Cutie??
haha. i'm loving the diversity of taste on the site. btw - anyone who likes death cab and that kind of thing could check out the swedish band Logh http://www.myspace.com/logh

amazing stuff if you like that kind of music, and unlike death cab, totally underrated.
noOne
Known user

Post by noOne »

As for me, the Brian Jonestown Massacre's Bravery, Repetition, and Noise used to be an album that I never enjoyed listening to. It is now my belief that this is their deepest, most brutal album. Every song on the album is enjoyable by my standards.
i've seen The Brian Jones Massacre 7 times througout the years. they are definitely one of my favorite bands. BR&N is definitely one of those albums that grows on you more and more with each listen.

as for Death Cab...
i didn't like their music at all the first three albums but then i heard "We Laugh In Doors" from the Photo Album lp and felt compelled to check out the rest of the album, now i really dig their music. i still don't really like their first three albums but i love the last three. especially Transatlanticism.

i know it seems odd that someone who loves Spiritualized and similar music could appreciate DCFC but hey, i know what i like i and like their last 3 albums.

hey Moop,
i'm checkin' out Logh as i type this. a bit too Emo-Alternative for me (same reason why i don't like Death Cab's first 3 albums) but i'm sure they do have some songs that i would appreciate.

thanks!
noOne
Known user

Post by noOne »

moop wrote:
haha. i'm loving the diversity of taste on the site. btw - anyone who likes death cab and that kind of thing could check out the swedish band Logh http://www.myspace.com/logh

amazing stuff if you like that kind of music, and unlike death cab, totally underrated.
i mainly lurk, but i honestly wouldn't even bother coming to this
board if it weren't for the diversity that exists. if everyone had
the same opinion on everything, that would just be flat out boring... no?
radioshack
Known user

Re: Albums you hated at first, then loved - & vice versa

Post by radioshack »

twentysixdollars wrote:Inspired by an old post.

Hated at first, now love:
1. Richard Hell & The Voidoids - Blank Generation
2. Marvin Gaye - I Want You
3. Sonny Rollins - The Bridge (maybe a bit strong to say I hated it at first)
4. Spiritualized - Amazing Grace (ahem)
5. Lou Reed - Coney Island Baby

Loved at first, now hate:
1. My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
2. Oasis - Definitely Maybe (confirmed yesterday)
3. Ornette Coleman Double Quartet - Free Jazz
4. The Zombies - Odessey and Oracle (again, maybe a bit strong to say I hate it)
May I ask what confirmed your hatred of Definitely Maybe?
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

radioshack wrote:
twentysixdollars wrote: 2. Oasis - Definitely Maybe (confirmed yesterday)
May I ask what confirmed your hatred of Definitely Maybe?
[to $26] you didn't listen to it sober, did you? that's totally not allowed!
twentysixdollars
Known user

radioshack wrote: May I ask what confirmed your hatred of Definitely Maybe?
Re: confirmed yesterday. All I did was play it again, for the first time in a few years. Turns out I've been defending the idea of it - rather than the actuality of it - for all this time. On the turntable it's quite uninspired! The melodies all sounded better in my head.