the death of brit pop...

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Alex English
Known user

Post by Alex English »

Uh oh, look at this. A box set that goes from Spacemen 3 to Menswear to Dodgy to Spiritualized. :)
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

19 Supergrass - "Alright"
20 Cast - "Alright"
09 Super Furry Animals - "Something 4 the Weekend"
10 The Divine Comedy - "Something for the Weekend"
Just an excuse to do that, really, innit... ;)

(although you'd think they could've found more than one version of Shoot You Down...)
. . . heligoland . . .
29.11.07 mécanique ondulatoire, paris // 16.01.08 divan du monde, paris
drones
Known user

Post by drones »

Alex English wrote:Uh oh, look at this. A box set that goes from Spacemen 3 to Menswear to Dodgy to Spiritualized. :)
Interesting too see that the Stone Roses song they picked wasn't off of The Second Coming and they never bothered with owt from A Storm in Heaven or A Northern Soul.

Its all about timing, I guess...

Both ANS and TSC rip the proverbial pish out of anything on this track list
however they fail to sum up in any of there songs anything to do with brit-pop....thank the Lord.

Another thought...what were ver Scream up too from '91 until '97...
I only feel right
with a football at my side
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

angelsighs wrote:
eleKtroniK:musiK wrote:
I mean you could be just as into your 'rawk' music as your 'dance' music at that time...don't forget that the dj was held in awe as well
Oh yeah, forgot about that, i suppose Prodigy Chemical Brothers etc should be included in the list.

In addition
David Holmes, Underworld, Leftfield
then
Massive Attack, Tricky, Portishead
then
Photek, Goldie/MetalHeadz, Fabio & Grooverider
plus
Oakenfold, Sasha, Digweed, Seaman

Every taste catered for

I always wondered why Teenage Fanclub never got massive, they had songs just as melodic as anyone else but with more refinement and depth i think (actually maybe answered my own question there)
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

runcible wrote:3x yousendit links.
MUFCSPACEMAN wrote:the same.
Don't know how much hard-drive space i have, not much i know that. What's the big deal then, should i take the chance ?
What more can the heart of a man desire?
MUFCSPACEMAN
Known user

Post by MUFCSPACEMAN »

Last edited by MUFCSPACEMAN on Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10ent
Known user

Post by 10ent »

Alex English wrote:Uh oh, look at this. A box set that goes from Spacemen 3 to Menswear to Dodgy to Spiritualized. :)
Weekender by Flowered Up should have been on Disc 1.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The Jig wrote:
Don't know how much hard-drive space i have, not much i know that. What's the big deal then, should i take the chance ?
WCPAEB are a psych outfit that, for me, made some of the best sunshine psych/pop music of the era. The music was superb almost throughout the entire playing of the 1st 3 albums proper (they released an earlier album in miniscule pressing quantites that only recently got much reissuing and isn't regarded as the first release as its covers and occasionally lo-fi). It ranged from 60s pop to really trippy stuff. The 3 tracks I stuck on here cover all that. Their set-up guy, Bob Markley, sometimes stuck in highly questionable lyrical ideas and track titles that hinted towards his tendency to favour girls of a totally unsuitable age. The rest of the band didn't go along with that at all. The music sounds fantastic today and I'd rate them among the best 60s bands I know.

I don't see much of a problem downloading and listening to any of the music made available here. Why not download, listen and then delete if required?
G*
Known user

Post by G* »

According to NME there's a new compliation featuring Spacemen 3 and Spiritualized amongst a host of others.

http://www.nme.com/news/the-stone-roses/29111

I never thought I'd see a compilation featuring Spacemen 3, Spiritualized and...Gay Dad, but there you are.