Is Spiritualized lazy?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

ryansocash
Known user

Is Spiritualized lazy?

Post by ryansocash »

Do any of you get the impression that the guys in Spiritualized might be on the lazy side these days? The wep page is almost never updated, they promis a record and push the release date back a thousand times, then two of them almost died. WTF!
MUFCSPACEMAN
Known user

Post by MUFCSPACEMAN »

Last edited by MUFCSPACEMAN on Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

What some see as lazyness others see as perfectionism.

I reckon the laziness of Spiritualized is a bit of a myth anyway- whenever there's been anything more than the standard two year gap between records there's been a reason- LICD must have been a bitch to arrange and mix. And Jason's very serious illness has put back this one!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

not sure how having cancer/leukemia and a life threatening infection factor into your comment but i'm pretty sure that was out of their control.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Well if Mr Spaceman is in the studio perfecting separate left and right channel mixes for the next album, I'm quite happy he's not distracted by MS Frontpage fun or learning HTML...in fact as long we're gonna get a well-crafted new album regardless of the stereo separation, I'd prefer he wasn't distracted by such ephemera...and if he wants to take a few days off to lay back in the sun I wouldn't deny him that either.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
ryansocash
Known user

Post by ryansocash »

If they are taking all of this time for perfectionism I am more then happy to wait. Every single record they release is better then the last, don't get me wrong I am greatful for their music.. I think they are the best band ever in fact. But they could upload a few live recordings to youtube maybe.. give us something to hold us over. The only reason I come back to this web page is to check the forums and even the forums are getting slow.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

ryansocash wrote:If they are taking all of this time for perfectionism I am more then happy to wait. Every single record they release is better then the last, don't get me wrong I am greatful for their music.. I think they are the best band ever in fact. But they could upload a few live recordings to youtube maybe.. give us something to hold us over. The only reason I come back to this web page is to check the forums and even the forums are getting slow.
1. Agreed on happy to wait for the usual quality control, I just hope it's not too long, as I imagine many other fans would agree

2. Cheapster aside I think it's not correct to say that each album released has been 'better' than the last, but what they represent is the natural musical evolution of artistic progression...a vision that has been articulated by certain other ex-Spacemen too, and one I look forward to in all their musical endeavors

3. Given the significant Spiritualized aspect of 'quality control' I assume most folks here appreciate, sticking something on YouTube would represent a significant compromise and cheapening of such standards...ironically (given the apparent initial prognosis of this thread) by making available virtual Red Book CD quality material, whose provenance I'm not going to argue about here, demonstrates someone in the Spiritualized camp is aware that fans are not looking for sub-standard material but prefer an output that is coherent with the rest. If this forum demonstrates nothing else it shows how dedicated fans of the band can engage and exchange in a civilized fashion extraneous and complimentary adjuncts to the official output of an artist who has comprehensively demonstrated his commitment to producing professional material that we all appreciate
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

ryansocash wrote: But they could upload a few live recordings to youtube maybe.. give us something to hold us over. The only reason I come back to this web page is to check the forums and even the forums are getting slow.
you have been coming to this message board long enough to know not to hold your breath. There is very little(read no) communication between the artist and message board.

the freebies uploaded the last month were done out of spite. period.
except the Spring Heel Jack gig. Maybe spite has its rewards. Maybe it will spurs loads of other uploads. Who knows?

People who are fans and especially those who come on the message board are gagging for any new music, info, news, anything.

Regarding the slow pace of the message board:
its summer(in this hemisphere anyway). maybe those who post a lot are out getting some fresh air?
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
The Flight Lieutenant
Known user

Post by The Flight Lieutenant »

I don't mind waiting if its good enough. Da Vinci didn't paint The Last Supper overnight, but it was well worth the wait. likewise, for Spiritualized (and BSP, for who i am also waiting) i don't mind waiting at all - better that than have them rush it and produce something below par.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The Flight Lieutenant wrote:I don't mind waiting if its good enough. Da Vinci didn't paint The Last Supper overnight, but it was well worth the wait. likewise, for Spiritualized (and BSP, for who i am also waiting) i don't mind waiting at all .
What about Brian Jonestown Massacre? After years of highly productive release levels there has been almost nothing for donkeys. Part of me respects Anton Newcomb for not capitalising on the release of Dig! to cash in, as he definitely would - the size of audiences and venues for UK tours has dramatically increased as a result of the film. Yet he releases nothing despite having a large collection of songs. It's frustrating.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Isn't that the typical Anton-esque contravention of trad r'n'r rules that makes him all the more endearing?

I would love to see a new BJM release, but at the same time if Anton is better-off touring and happier with it I'm content to wait until he's ready to make some new music...it's not like he's not worked hard in the past to give us a fantastic back-catalogue to appreciate.
Dave Chappelle
The Flight Lieutenant
Known user

Post by The Flight Lieutenant »

runcible wrote:
The Flight Lieutenant wrote:I don't mind waiting if its good enough. Da Vinci didn't paint The Last Supper overnight, but it was well worth the wait. likewise, for Spiritualized (and BSP, for who i am also waiting) i don't mind waiting at all .
What about Brian Jonestown Massacre? After years of highly productive release levels there has been almost nothing for donkeys. Part of me respects Anton Newcomb for not capitalising on the release of Dig! to cash in, as he definitely would - the size of audiences and venues for UK tours has dramatically increased as a result of the film. Yet he releases nothing despite having a large collection of songs. It's frustrating.
well, i have to say, i'm not a huge BJM fan. bought Their Satanic Majesties Second Request and, after all the hype i'd heard about them, i was quite quite underwhelmed. so i'm not particularly fussed if they never release anything, ever.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I don't begrudge the album workrate of Spiritualized, its the lack of B sides (particularly in the past few years) that can be annoying.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

Remixes:

22-20s - Hold on
Editors - Blood

Releases:

Guitar Loops
Silent Sound
Ono - Walking on thin Ice

Live:

Han Bennink
Daniel Johnston
Acoustic Mainlines (October 2006 to end of summer 2007)
Silent Sound
Spring Heel Jack

Projects (ongoing):

Matthew Shipp
Oh, and the new album...

...thats quite a lot since Amazing Grace oh and 5/6 months as a result of illness.

Thats humbled my previous derogatory remarks...

Actually very busy...the devil makes work for idle hands, i guess
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

eleKtroniK:musiK wrote:Remixes:

22-20s - Hold on
Editors - Blood

Releases:

Guitar Loops
Silent Sound
Ono - Walking on thin Ice

Live:

Han Bennink
Daniel Johnston
Acoustic Mainlines (October 2006 to end of summer 2007)
Silent Sound
Spring Heel Jack

Projects (ongoing):

Matthew Shipp
Oh, and the new album...

...thats quite a lot since Amazing Grace oh and 5/6 months as a result of illness.

Thats humbled my previous derogatory remarks...

Actually very busy...the devil makes work for idle hands, i guess
jesus, that's what i was thinking, he's been extremely busy. i mean all those release plus dying, what mre do we want from him??

lay back in the sun.

me.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

and don't forget the soundtrack for Korine's new film.
Doggen and Coxon should be busy also, what about rest of the band?
ryansocash
Known user

Post by ryansocash »

From what I heard Jason had over 60 songs to chose from for AG, I think they could have given us a few more b-sides.
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

ryansocash wrote:From what I heard Jason had over 60 songs to chose from for AG, I think they could have given us a few more b-sides.

yeah agreed, i was a little frustrated with the lack of b-sides for AG.

anybody care to shed some light on why??

me.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

a beautiful noise wrote:
ryansocash wrote:From what I heard Jason had over 60 songs to chose from for AG, I think they could have given us a few more b-sides.

me.
not good enough for him?
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

bunnyben wrote:
a beautiful noise wrote:

me.
not good enough for him?
I personally think that AG is a weak album and I've often thought that it is just following the format of other albums; perhaps thats the problem looking at one album with a body of work in mind. I haven't listened to it in a while and popped it on in the car yesterday...I'm no further forward, neither am i wild about it or appalled by it...there are good bits/not-so-good-bits...
Anyway, I guess many people reckon that since AG was released in 2003 and it's now 2007 - 4 years is too long, then if you aren't too fussed by AG it's back to 2001 and LICD.

So yeah 4/6 years is a while lets hope it aint added too much pressure to produce something...i doubt JP would feel pressure, i'm sure he is thankful for each and every day...

Aww fcuk i'm off ramblin'

Maybe (and i'm saying maybe) it was for the best that the other 49 songs didn't really get an airing...

now do the math...if he had 60songs between 2001 and 2003 for AG
where S=songs and Y=years

60S x 4Y = 240S

now divide that by SAT (Standard Album Tracks)

where SAT= LGM(12)+PP(14)+LGWAFIS(12)+LICD(11)+AG(11)/5
SAT= 12

so, 240S/12SAT= 20PA (Possible Albums)

For everyone; there is always at the minimum one outstandingly mindblowing track on any Spiritualized album

therefore, 20PA = 20OMT (Outstandingly Mindblowing Tracks)

Cue the rumour of a double album...

If you've got hope in your arm...heart...arm...heart on your sleeve

C ' m O n T h e S p A c E m A n
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

:lol: why couldnt they teach maths like that in school???
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

Well, it was also 4 years between LGM and Pure Phase, and also 4 between Ladies & Germs and LICD, so maybe there's a tendency to give the guy a hard time this time round?

I'm just grateful that he's still around to make fantastic music after everything that's happened recently.
ryansocash
Known user

Post by ryansocash »

If you look at AG for what it is, its amazing. Those songs are simply raw ideas. As a recording / Touring artist I know that with-in the distance between the first day you demo a song with your musicians to the time when the thought is final and published the end result can be a different idea altogether. AG is raw thought and raw creativity. No major label influence and no bullshit, just the truth.. Credit is due!
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

mh wrote:Well, it was also 4 years between LGM and Pure Phase, and also 4 between Ladies & Germs and LICD, so maybe there's a tendency to give the guy a hard time this time round?
Jason has a lot on his plate, and also almost died, so I don't agree with the basic argument of this thread, but I will say that complaints over Jason's rate of album output are nothing new. There was incredible frustration over how long Pure Phase took to come out - in fact, apparently there was incredible frustration over how long LGM took to come out! And the period between LAGWAFIS and LICD was marked by a commensurate glut of rumors and questions over what Jason was up to, if anything.
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

As a good mate frequently says when asked about his band's next album release:

"We're working from a Pink Floyd release schedule."
. . . heligoland . . .
29.11.07 mécanique ondulatoire, paris // 16.01.08 divan du monde, paris
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

ash wrote:As a good mate frequently says when asked about his band's next album release:

"We're working from a Pink Floyd release schedule."

hmm, do you think if, heaven forbid, but the worst had happened we'd be sat here saying 'hmm when did jason become the neew tupac? enough already!' :shock:
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

bunnyben wrote:hmm, do you think if, heaven forbid, but the worst had happened we'd be sat here saying 'hmm when did jason become the neew tupac? enough already!' :shock:
Probably not unless he was gunned down in public by a violent rival space-rock faction, or some really pissed-off ex-band member :?
Dave Chappelle
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

If the next release follows the trajectory of the previous albums it will probably sound like Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.
ryansocash
Known user

Post by ryansocash »

If your right about the next record (sound like the Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.) then you might just have to count me out.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

runaway wrote:If the next release follows the trajectory of the previous albums it will probably sound like Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.
Describe this trajectory or can you do a picture?

C'mon, come with me to the EnGiNe RoOm
We can dream up the new trajectories, the new formulaes
Sure they may only ever exist in our dreams
But until our dreams are shown to be just that
Let us embrace them

Sure AG or Ag (Silver in the Table of Elements) is not the most precious of albums and not the most precious of metals but trajectories often stray from the chosen path.

Let us map out this new sound; with pictures, twine and light and step forward with assertion and proclaim that we knew, all along we knew

Now is not the time for nerves or uncertainty behold a new dawn IS upon us

nb

if some of you have been trying to nest other artists into the 'album quality' formulae above, there is some difficulties...i'm addressing them by adding a 'wank-factor' into the equation.
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

Has a musical 'table of elements' ever been done before? Be interesting to see what came together. Is there some boffin on here in thier underground bunker who has the chops to get it together.

If its been done already then fuckit!! Subtitute bands for cerial.
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Might be better to 'divvy' it up

I bags Noble Gases
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

3. Given the significant Spiritualized aspect of 'quality control' I assume most folks here appreciate, sticking something on YouTube would represent a significant compromise and cheapening of such standards...ironically (given the apparent initial prognosis of this thread) by making available virtual Red Book CD quality material, whose provenance I'm not going to argue about here, demonstrates someone in the Spiritualized camp is aware that fans are not looking for sub-standard material but prefer an output that is coherent with the rest. If this forum demonstrates nothing else it shows how dedicated fans of the band can engage and exchange in a civilized fashion extraneous and complimentary adjuncts to the official output of an artist who has comprehensively demonstrated his commitment to producing professional material that we all appreciate
Was there a word of English in there? Because I just read "yaddayaddablahblahblabh".

Just pullin' 'yer leg, man. :D

Getting back to the original topic, I don't think that Spiritualized is lazy, rather that Jason is a perfectionist, and probably throws away (or doesn't use) much more than your normal band/ musician. That's why there's tons of b-sides.....most of what he works on, as we know from The Complete Works volumes, is pretty damn good. But that's our opinions, not his--he obviously has a much higher standard than we'd ever really be able to ascertain. Sometimes I wish that he had a really trustworthy artistic person around to tell him, "hey man, that's great....don't fuss over it so much". Jason Falkner is like that....he's got tons of demos and songs that are top notch, but the only way to get 'em is off of SoulSeek, from leaked tracks, because he doesn't release them!!