For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

MUFCSPACEMAN
Known user

Post by MUFCSPACEMAN »

Last edited by MUFCSPACEMAN on Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings ~ I'm Not Gonna Cry
The Viscounts ~ Harlem Nocturne
C. W. McCall ~ Convoy
runcible
Site Admin

Re: Favorite 45rpm Records?

Post by runcible »

MUFCSPACEMAN wrote:Or maybe CD singles, if we're talking last 2 decades.

My faves, one for each decade since the 50's:

80's: Robert DeNiro's Waiting/Push - Bananarama

Yours?
That's your single of the 80's? I mean - seriously?

Fuck me - you never cease to amaze me!

In terms of the impact the songs made at the time I'd choose The Cult's 'She Sells Sanctuary' as my favourite - the impact it caused on me and my record buying as a result of hearing it were massive.

60's - Beatles - I Feel Fine
70's - Sex Pistols - Pretty Vacant
80's - see above
90's - My Bloody Valentine - Soon/Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
00's - Hmm. Not really got one.
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

Probably not too interesting:

The Byrds - "Lady Friend" b/w "Old John Robertson"
OR: The Miracles - "I Second That Emotion" b/w "You Must Be Love"
OR: Love - "Your Mind & We Belong Together" b/w "Laughing Stock"
OR: Marvin Gaye - "What's Going On" b/w "God Is Love"
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

60's: Open Up Your Door- Richard & The Young Lions
70's: Strawberry Letter 23- Brothers Johnson(Shuggie Otis)
80's: Soon- My Bloody Valentine
90's: She's A Superstar- Verve or Feel So Sad- Spiritualized
00's: The Breeze That Blows- People's Revolutionary Choir
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
The Flight Lieutenant
Known user

Post by The Flight Lieutenant »

00's: British Sea Power - Remember me
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

runcible wrote:[
In terms of the impact the songs made at the time I'd choose The Cult's 'She Sells Sanctuary' as my favourite - the impact it caused on me and my record buying as a result of hearing it were massive.
Got to agree with that - it was the first "alternative" record I got into, back when I was 14. It opened the door to so many other bands. I think Sanctuary is still a killer tune.

I'm not really a singles man. I can recall some from the eighties, but not much from any other time.

Enola Gay - OMD: simply because it was the first single I ever bought
Bloody Revolutions/Big A Little A - Crass: two brilliant 7"s. I wasn't into Crass when they were around, but got into them about 1987. Opened up the world of DIY Punk for me (Conflict, Oi Polloi, Subhumans etc)
She Sells Sanctuary - The Cult: (see above)

For the 90's it could be Leave them all behind by Ride, Feels so Sad by Spiritualized or one of the myriad Happy Hardcore records around that got me into raving - maybe "In Complete Darkness (Slipmatt 95 remix)" by The Fat Controller.
MUFCSPACEMAN
Known user

Post by MUFCSPACEMAN »

Last edited by MUFCSPACEMAN on Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:39 pm, edited 6 times in total.
MUFCSPACEMAN
Known user

Post by MUFCSPACEMAN »

Last edited by MUFCSPACEMAN on Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nasty
Known user

Post by nasty »

Yes, amazingly subversive and neoteric pop record for it's time (and now) that just narrowly pips "Na Na Hey Hey" and "Cruel Summer" for me among their singles.
this comment interests me - I have always been convinced that fun boy three's debut album is one of the darkest albums i've heard (lunatics acappella version also worth checking) and can appreciate bananarama as a seriously cool 80s pop girl band BUT

the only great record they ever did, and a tune that holds its own in any set i'd play has to be

REALLY SAYIN SOMETHING (especially good with a slight speed uplift).

How the fuck did you miss that one? even the 2 above were pretty lame latecomers compared!!!!!!!!
MUFCSPACEMAN
Known user

Post by MUFCSPACEMAN »

Last edited by MUFCSPACEMAN on Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nasty
Known user

Post by nasty »

Bloody Revolutions/Big A Little A - Crass: two brilliant 7"s. I wasn't into Crass when they were around, but got into them about 1987. Opened up the world of DIY Punk for me (Conflict, Oi Polloi, Subhumans etc)
The curse of zounds and a cerrain mob album i always remember fondly too.... i was about 12 when we used to take our records in to school, most in the class hadnt started buying and recall my music teacher asking me what i liked about bloody revolutions - after much thought, apart from the pay no more than 70p and free poster I was pushed.... reality asylum was a bit tough for these tender ears though.

some fave 45s

Shirley Ellis, clapping song (again with speed tweak) always gives me goose bumps and could well be my fave 45..... oh, and dickies' banana splits seriously rocked my world when i was 9 or 10. The Banshees' Spellbound was killer compared to she sells sanctuary although i was a big fan of both at different times.
nasty
Known user

Post by nasty »

Because that's one of the Fun Boy Three ones so it's ok to like, right? I didn't miss it, I just didn't pick it.

"Ok to like?" I simply meant it was a better tune imho. FB3 only did backing vocals didnt they?!
MUFCSPACEMAN
Known user

Post by MUFCSPACEMAN »

Last edited by MUFCSPACEMAN on Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nasty
Known user

Post by nasty »

... and i dont mind a bit of cruel summer i'll admit :wink:

good thread this one... pretty senile these days so i might keep coming back.

probably all 80s since that's when most of them were bought.

PIL - flowers of romance
Stranglers - nice n sleazy
that joy division one obviously
stiff little fingers - at the edge
the fall - hey luciani
mentioned psychic tv good vibrations recently
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I think my favorate 45 ever purchased was DJ Shadow and DJ Krush 'Lost and Found'

A sublime debut from DJ Shadow.

The beta band eps before they were packaged into an album deserve a special mention.

Plus Verve -Blue EP - the b-sides on that were tremendous.

Likewise the obvious spz eps - Fee So Sad, Run / I want you and Electric Mainline.
twentysixdollars
Known user

MUFCSPACEMAN wrote:It's a shame that "Lady Friend" is so underrated as a single outside Byrds fandom. The recent boxset is worth it just to have the original on CD.
Agreed, though I think it's underrated even in Byrds circles. It's honestly one of the most amazing pop productions I've ever heard. It's not often that I quarrel with the track selection of a five-star album, but I often wonder what NBB might have sounded like had the absolute peak of Crosby's career been included...The fact that it's not even on the CD is kind of laughable, although understandable in context (when the first four albums were reissued in '96, there was no absolute guarantee that any of the subsequent releases - NBB being the first of them - would be similarly repackaged; hence the inclusion of anachronistic singles on the 5D [the cancelled "I Know My Rider" b/w "Psychodrama City"] and YTY CDs).
There's kind of a demo snippet of Crosby singing the song to no more an accompaniment than the knell of his acoustic guitar on some boot or other, and that's stunningly beautiful. Wish I had a copy.
I think, at the outset, it was a take-off on Clark's also (though not equally) extraordinary "She Don't Care About Time". Certainly the melody is similar.

The original mono version is best, of course, but I do think the '97 stereo remix (from the original multitracks) is perfectly acceptable and fully captures the special wonder of the tune.

[Your enthusiasm for my choices is so palpable that I'll forgive your misappropriation of a two-dollar word like "neoteric"!]
MUFCSPACEMAN
Known user

Post by MUFCSPACEMAN »

Last edited by MUFCSPACEMAN on Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
twentysixdollars
Known user

MUFCSPACEMAN wrote: "Lady Friend" was issued when Crosby was still in the group, and isn't really contemporaneous in timeframe or suited with either of the albums it fell between.
Oh, I don't know. YTY has "Why", in a version recorded during the 5D sessions and produced by Allan Stanton. NBB is full of Crosby songs and also features "Old John Robertson", so it seems churlish to argue over whether "Lady Friend" belongs to that 'era' or not. It was left off because it had flopped as a single, and McGuinn and Hillman probably took that as an indication that it must have sucked. Crosby was still in the band for most of the NBB sessions and I don't fully accept claims that "Lady Friend" was ever mooted for YTY. For one thing, it doesn't exist live much prior to the single release, and I doubt they'd spent that many months rehearsing it.
Where would you sequence it on NBB?
Hmm. (Cracks knuckles.) NBB is the shortest Byrds album. Why not just stick it on there, between "Dolphin's Smile" and "Space Odyssey"? Being a flop single, I doubt it ever was considered for a prestige place at the beginning of side 2. Remember, "Change Is Now" was considered as a single - apparently an edited mix even exists (the intended b-side may have been "Flight 713") though I haven't heard it.
MUFCSPACEMAN
Known user

Post by MUFCSPACEMAN »

Last edited by MUFCSPACEMAN on Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.
twentysixdollars
Known user

MUFCSPACEMAN wrote: Well, yeah, on Crosby's insistence. And its not all that successful.
I agree. I like the sweet radio-ready harmonies, but that's clearly the least essential of the three versions. Interestingly, Usher did add an overdub or two - the YTY track doesn't match the Stanton session tape in every aspect.
I read the first edition of Rogan's book years ago, but I don't really recall what was said about that single.
I would be careful about believing anything in Rogan (original version or Revisited). It's decent as an overview, and as a record of the infighting, but he gets many, many facts wrong and his musical knowledge is minimal.
twentysixdollars wrote:I doubt it ever was considered for a prestige place at the beginning of side 2.
I doubt it was ever seriously considered for the album, period.
Quite right. That was an error in phrasing on my part; what I meant was, even if it had been included on a (strictly hypothetical) longer version of NBB, it wouldn't have led off side 2.

We should also remember that, as a Columbia album from 1968, NBB would never, ever have had 12 tracks. It would have had 11, and if "Lady Friend" were on there it would probably be at the expense of one of the other Crosby songs (for royalty purposes, of course).
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

60's Rolling Stones - I wanna be your man b/w Stoned (or as it says on the 7" 'Stones')
70's Ian Dury & the Blockheads - Sex and drugs and rock 'n' roll
80's Frankie goes to Hollywood - Relax
90's MC5 - Looking at you b/w Borderline (reissue)
00's The Weird Wide World of Wisbey - Dirty fan male

yeah, something like that
"Thank you"
MUFCSPACEMAN
Known user

Post by MUFCSPACEMAN »

Last edited by MUFCSPACEMAN on Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
warmgun.
Known user

Post by warmgun. »

twentysixdollars wrote: We should also remember that, as a Columbia album from 1968, NBB would never, ever have had 12 tracks. It would have had 11.
Maybe I'm putting my ignorance on display here, but are you serious about this? If so, why was that the case? Care to shed some light...

As an aside, I've always disliked the practice of putting 12 tracks on an album... It's an irrational dislike, I know, but there you have it. 10, 11 & 13 are all fine, but 12 just rubs me wrong. Anyone else feel the same?

Also a huge fan of Lady Friend BTW.
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Like any list I suppose this could change in an hour. Flicking through my record boxes earlier, I came up with these:

50's - C'Mon Everybody - Eddie Cochran

60's - See Emily Play - Pink Floyd

70's - I Feel Love - Donna Summer

80's - Love Is A Wonderful Colour - The Icicle Works

90's - I Wanna Be Adored - The Stone Roses

00's - Benny's Trip - Sonic Boom/Magnetphone

EDIT - Duh, Fuzzy! The Roses track was originally put out in 1989. My copy was re-issued in 1991, that's what threw me. It stays my choice regardless.
Last edited by Fuzzhead on Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

the 12" version of Donna Summers 'I feel love is really stunning! excellent choice
"Thank you"
MUFCSPACEMAN
Known user

Post by MUFCSPACEMAN »

Last edited by MUFCSPACEMAN on Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

herman wrote:the 12" version of Donna Summers 'I feel love is really stunning! excellent choice
You're right, Herman. The 12" version is lush. You'll definitely lose yourself in it for 15 minutes.
twentysixdollars
Known user

warmgun. wrote: Maybe I'm putting my ignorance on display here, but are you serious about this? [11-track albums] If so, why was that the case? Care to shed some light...
I am indeed serious. Artists had absolutely no control over how long pop albums were until, oh, maybe 1969, or late '68 at the earliest. Before 1965, pop albums almost always had twelve tracks. But then the labels (especially Columbia) realized they could pay less by way of royalties and thus make a bigger profit if the albums had ten tracks. Many albums that had previously been issued in twelve-track form were reissued with ten tracks in mid-'65. Customers started complaining about buying 19-minute 'albums', so Columbia and Capitol among others settled on an 11-track model that carried them through to the end of the 60s. There were certain exceptions - albums with medleys, for example, often had fewer than 11 tracks - but very few albums had more than 11 tracks, usually two or three of which were singles (side a, tracks 1 & 2 or 3, and side b, track 1). Pet Sounds is an interesting and famous exception - although it's worth noting that two of its tracks were instrumentals. Not that that usually made a difference.

Note that this does not apply in the UK, where pop albums almost always had 14 tracks and almost never contained singles.

If you peer in various corners at http://robertchristgau.com , you'll find some contemporary writing on this subject.
As an aside, I've always disliked the practice of putting 12 tracks on an album... It's an irrational dislike, I know, but there you have it. 10, 11 & 13 are all fine, but 12 just rubs me wrong. Anyone else feel the same?
Um...as long as the twelfth song is good, who's complaining?
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

MUFCSPACEMAN wrote:Or the GoGos' "Our Lips Are Sealed" (which, thinking about it, is just about a perfect record)
Great though the GoGos version is, it's the FB3 version that is my favourite song of all time.

Love,

Ian
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Galaxie 500- King of Spain/Tugboat

M
Design.
MUFCSPACEMAN
Known user

Post by MUFCSPACEMAN »

Last edited by MUFCSPACEMAN on Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twentysixdollars
Known user

MUFCSPACEMAN wrote: Seems to have been bucked a few times at Columbia, though.
There were definitely exceptions, particularly for acts driven by powerful producers, and those aligned in some way with Columbia's folk wing. S&G were basically a pop act by '66, but they were signed as a folk duo. Furthermore, either of "Voices of Old People" or "Theme" might not have counted, or might have been combined as a single royalty by some legal legerdemain. There is a possibility that the Graduate soundtrack had something to do with the way the royalties on Bookends were divvied up. And however you slice it, Bookends is still under a half-hour. [Phew - that's a lot of insider stuff for an act I dislike]

In any event it seems to me that there were definitely more 11-track Columbia albums between late '65 and '68 than any other configuration.
The Millennium's "Begin" had more than 12 cuts.
However excellent, that one was in a significant sense a Gary Usher vanity project (which is why it sound so unlike Sag/Ballroom). In other words, this one falls under the "powerful producer" exception.

Much of this is simply intuitive. Although the Byrds sometimes had powerful producers (Usher, Melcher), they were not 'producer-driven'; in fact on several occasions the group acted to fire their producers - including Melcher twice. And the majority of Byrds albums are under a half-hou, omitting at least one completed (and usually original) outtake - why would the group (if they were making the final decisions as to album configurations) leave off originals that would earn them royalties? There were, in fact, nine mostly excellent Preflyte-era originals, some of which gave writers' credits to McGuinn and Crosby, not even tracked during the MTM sessions. TTT omits "She Don't Care About Time"; 5D leaves off "Why"; SOTR is missing three tunes and includes instead two intended outtakes; BOER is missing at least two completed songs; even Byrdmaniax is missing the wrenching "Think I'm Gonna Feel Better", even though McGuinn was always adamant about getting as many Clarence vocals on record as possible.
MUFCSPACEMAN
Known user

Post by MUFCSPACEMAN »

Last edited by MUFCSPACEMAN on Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twentysixdollars
Known user

MUFCSPACEMAN wrote: Flip it around. You're thinking of the Sag album(s), that was the one Usher had involvement in. The Millennium was Boettcher and Olsen's baby.
Really? I thought it was the other way around. In fact I thought that was why I found the Millenium album so much more compelling than any Sag or Ballroom stuff. Well I've just gone and looked it up and it turns out you're quite right. Who knew? Certainly not me!
Would Usher really have that much sway? His batting average as hitmaker was pretty low, and his background prior to the 3 Byrds albums was in hotrod/surf exploitation.
He was well-connected - socially at least. Most of Columbia's stable of pop producers were in their early-to-mid twenties and had very little 'experience' to speak of. In fact Usher (born ca. '40) was one of the older ones! John Simon was almost ten years younger than Leonard Cohen when he produced the latter's first album. Columbia's management of its pop wing was very ad-hoc.
MUFCSPACEMAN
Known user

Post by MUFCSPACEMAN »

Last edited by MUFCSPACEMAN on Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Nirvana - Heart Shaped Box & Marigold
Rolling Stones : Tumblin dice & Sweet black angel
Prince - If I was your girlfriend & Shockadelica
FSOL - Papua New Guinea
Naomi - skeptical
Primal Scream - Come Together and If they move kill 'em

er...The 'Electricty' singles

Great topic!
Last edited by BzaInSpace on Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O P 8
MUFCSPACEMAN
Known user

Post by MUFCSPACEMAN »

Last edited by MUFCSPACEMAN on Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

MUFCSPACEMAN wrote:
runcible wrote:That's your single of the 80's? I mean - seriously?
Yes, amazingly subversive pop record for it's time (and now) that just narrowly pips "Na Na Hey Hey" and "Cruel Summer" for me among their singles.
It was that or a Madonna single. "Borderline" or "Live To Tell". Or Dexys, "Geno". Or "Crystal Crescent/Velocity Girl".
Well personally I found all those records terrible and I was also there at the time. Bizarrely I saw the Fun Boy Three's 1st ever gig at Leeds University.
MUFCSPACEMAN wrote: Or "What She's Done To Your Mind" by Rain Parade.
That on the other hand is a fantastic record.

MUFCSPACEMAN wrote:if you hadn't then come in and given props to THE CULT of all vile 80's joke bands.
Oh yes, they became that. But Sanctuary is a brilliant pych pop single. It made such an impact on me. I'll stand by my vote for The Cult's 'Love' as one of my favourite albums too.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Not having a turntable I've only a small collection of collectible vinyl, let alone 45's...hence I've gone on presentation a bit more than musical content:

How You Satisfy Me - 12" & 7"
Walking With Jesus - 7" marbled vinyl...I assume it's a reissue as it's in perfect condition and was a nice freebie, gorgeous all the same
Smile/Sway - luminous 7" (not flexible one)
Medication - red 7"
Lay Back in the Sun - yellow 7"
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

I've been thinking about this thread again, having been playing a lot of my favourite 7"s/12"s recently.

Here's some more of my choices. Possibly not the best records ever, but simply records that I own that have been giving me a massive buzz lately:

60's - Mr Tambourine Man - The Byrds

70's - Roadrunner - Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers
- Spiral Scratch EP - Buzzcocks
- Lucky Number - Lene Lovich

80's - West End Girls - Pet Shop Boys
- Kiss Me - Tin Tin
- Love Missile F1 - Sigue Sigue Sputnik
- Don't Talk To Me About Love - Altered Images
- Way Out - The La's
- Pump Up The Volume - MARRS

90's - Unbelievable - EMF
- Run - Spiritualized
- The More You Ignore Me The Closer I Get - Morrissey
- History - The Verve

00's - Hurricane Heart Attack - Warlocks
MUFCSPACEMAN
Known user

Post by MUFCSPACEMAN »

Last edited by MUFCSPACEMAN on Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
warmgun.
Known user

Post by warmgun. »

Flight of the Conchords (New Zealand comedy act!) do a nice tribute to the Pet Shop Boys - see it here:

http://www.hbo.com/conchords/video/index.html

Under Episode 2, Inner City Pressure. I bit of work to get to, but worth it for a laugh!