pic on the back of LGM?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

blancheflower
Known user

pic on the back of LGM?

Post by blancheflower »

Anyone know the significance of the what, angels wings in a dustcan / chicken in a bin image on the back of LGM?
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Always thought is was a record company logo . . . :?:
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

Nothing to do with the fabulous film "Wings of Desire" I suppose...(never heard that this might be true, just what I imagine to myself)
brenteboy
Known user

Post by brenteboy »

I always thought it was the Dedicated logo myself (angel wings no longer required type thing) but now that you've mentioned the endearing image of "chicken in a bin", i don't think i'll ever associate it with anything quite as graceful again.
On a similar note does anyone know why on some copies of Pure Phase you have the "Spiritualized Electric Mainline" motif, which originally was packaged as glow in the dark I think but on some other copies there's a photo of JP in his spacesuit with KR arm in arm? Is there any significance to this? Any difference perhaps?
it's fun to take a trip, put acid in your veins.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

brenteboy wrote:but on some other copies there's a photo of JP in his spacesuit with KR arm in arm? Is there any significance to this?
I also just recently found out about that and got a copy through Ebay.
it's BMG re-release from 1999 with a spacesuit on a catwalk.
original release had only logo. neonish.
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

it's a swan in the dustbin

when purephase was re-issued, they dropped the (as jason described) old porsche style logo, and used the photo of jason and kate in a spacesuit.

this photo was originally used on the front sleeve of the 1995 german re-issue of lay back in the sun (the limited 1000 cd / 7" format with spread your wings instrumental).

any signnificance? well, they were probably still going out then, and probably liked the photo.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Thanks for the info.
It's a nice photo. Funky. Can someone tell me on which date had NME same picture on the cover?
Neil
Known user

Post by Neil »

this photo was originally used on the front sleeve of the 1995 german re-issue of lay back in the sun (the limited 1000 cd / 7" format with spread your wings instrumental).

Was the 7" actually ever released? as I have never seen a copy
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Neil wrote:this photo was originally used on the front sleeve of the 1995 german re-issue of lay back in the sun (the limited 1000 cd / 7" format with spread your wings instrumental).

Only ever released as a cd, the 7" is, to coin a pharse, an urban myth !
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

BVCP206 wrote:
Neil wrote:this photo was originally used on the front sleeve of the 1995 german re-issue of lay back in the sun (the limited 1000 cd / 7" format with spread your wings instrumental).

to coin a pharse, an urban myth !
phrase even !
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

no i've never seen the 7" though I have the cd, i got it from the now closed powercuts, off oxford rd in manchester, where they seemed to have boxes and boxes of them,.

the nme cover was in june 1997, (the week of the initial ladies and gents dates at glasgow, manchester etc), and was the week of album release. the photo was different, featuring jason and kate sat under an apple tree, with jason in spacesuit and kate in usual denim jacket and flowery skirt.
Neil
Known user

Post by Neil »

Cheers, I thought the 7" might have been quietly released in a similar way to the Abbey Road EP with the pink pop festival live tracks, which I didn't know exisited until a year or so ago.... and again have never seen a copy of that for sale either