The Verve reunite

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

The Verve reunite

Post by TheWarmth »

http://www.nme.com/news/the-verve/29261

Ok, let's get a good discussion going on this one. Thoughts? I never expected this. Could be good, could be awful. I'm nervous.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I can only hope the other three, especially Nick McCabe, exert a whole lot more influence. This should be very interesting and I hope another great tour and hopefully a record.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
warmgun.
Known user

Re: The Verve reunite

Post by warmgun. »

TheWarmth wrote:I'm nervous.
I think that sums up my feelings on this quite nicely...

Given the current musical climate in the U.K. and quality of recent output by certain members (not to name names!), I kind of like the idea of them once again being the underdogs...

It would be nice if they chose to revisite ASIH or ANS territory, rather than going in the obvious UH direction... although that seems unlikely.

Only time will tell.
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

I'm thinking it will actually be great. McCabe isn't really the sell-out type is he? I understand he's gotta pay the bills, but I'd doubt he'd rejoin Ashcroft to play the type of stuff you'd find on an Ashcroft solo record.

Hmmm, I'm really intrigued about the new album though. If it's the original line-up, perhaps we could hope and pray the sound of the new material will be close to their early work. If this is not the case, and it is gonna be a follow up to Urban Hymns, I'm ok with that too. Unlike a lot of people here, I liked UH. I'm just glad we'll be hearing some McCabe again. I don't think it will totally suck, put it that way. I've got faith in them.

At the very least, we'll get some great gigs to look forward to (hoping to get a ticket for the Glasgow dates).

I think it's great news. I'm happy. I just want to see them play live again. If the material is good, then it's a bonus.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Yeah, could go either way this, brilliant or a damb squib. But then I reckon the band do have an extraordinary chemistry, and Nick will do it for the right reasons and exert his influence.

I reckon/hope it will sound like the Urban Hymns B sides.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

if i was McCabe i'd refuse to reform if any of Ashcroft's pish was to be played.

They should focus on recapturing the power and bonds they had. A few dates like this should really be used to show the masses what they are capable off... once the interest is back, they can them focus on new material...

I'm shocked to say the least, but will definitely be going along to one of the Glasgow shows.
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

Me too. Already booked a long weekend off to try an get to both while allowing for adequate time for 'Kuntation'
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

Whoo! Whooooo! Whooooooo!

In all honesty, and this is Official $26 Fiat, I can't imagine how this could go wrong. I have complete faith that McCabe will cancel out Ashy's bullshit - and vice versa. One word of warning: it seems likely the album will sound most like Urban Hymns - that is, slow-building acoustic ballads with one or two bass-driven burners to appease the base. I prefer A Storm In Heaven, but I like Urban Hymns. And since this one will be recorded with McCabe from the start, it will probably be a good deal less saccharine.

I've been waiting for this for eight years and no-one's going to get me down about it.

Above all, we should be thankful that they finally got around to doing this while everyone involved was still (relatively) young. It could have been much worse.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

It's worth noting that when they reformed last time the initial gigs were among the most incredible they ever played. I didn't like a lot of Urban Hymns though but the good tracks were brilliant and make it an essential album.

I'll be the first to predict that the reunion won't last long. Genius that McCabe undoubtedly is, he isn't made for the rock lifestyle - touring, stress etc. - and my bet is it will all be over fairly quickly. But I would love to be proved wrong!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

twentysixdollars wrote: And since this one will be recorded with McCabe from the start, it will probably be a good deal less saccharine.
Thats a bloody good point. I forgot that UH was largely recorded before McCabe even got back into the group- this time he will be there right from the very start of the creative process. Excellent.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

twentysixdollars wrote: can't imagine how this could go wrong. I have complete faith that McCabe will cancel out Ashy's bullshit - and vice versa.
i remain unconvinced of this. and yes, i'm sorry to rain on peoples parades (i have been a pessimistic so-and-so with my posts on here lately!) but could it not be that they really are just after another big pay day?

i do hope (and feel that i probably am) i'm wrong, but until i hear the new material i'll remain somewhat cynical (maybe to avoid disappointment? i dunno...).

and as far as runcible's claim of mccabe being a 'genius', again i must take issue. i'm willing to give certain leeway to the overuse of the word and the excitement generated by today's news, but mccabe is merely at times fantastic. a genius, no way.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

jack white wrote:
twentysixdollars wrote: can't imagine how this could go wrong. I have complete faith that McCabe will cancel out Ashy's bullshit - and vice versa.
i remain unconvinced of this. and yes, i'm sorry to rain on peoples parades (i have been a pessimistic so-and-so with my posts on here lately!) but could it not be that they really are just after another big pay day?

i do hope (and feel that i probably am) i'm wrong, but until i hear the new material i'll remain somewhat cynical (maybe to avoid disappointment? i dunno...).

and as far as runcible's claim of mccabe being a 'genius', again i must take issue. i'm willing to give certain leeway to the overuse of the word and the excitement generated by today's news, but mccabe is merely at times fantastic. a genius, no way.
Im not really giving a toss at the moment about any new recording. I'm excited about the chance to experience this band live again. The new record will be what it will be.
I know thats going to be a great weekend. Looking forward to it already.
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

jack white wrote: and as far as runcible's claim of mccabe being a 'genius', again i must take issue. i'm willing to give certain leeway to the overuse of the word and the excitement generated by today's news, but mccabe is merely at times fantastic. a genius, no way.
Well in my opinion he's the most incredible guitarist I have ever witnessed on stage (just ahead of Ronald Jones, ex Flaming Lip). What he did and the noises he could make were beyond fantastic - they were genuinely inspired and unlike any other guitar playing I have ever heard. It takes more than mere technique to produce that stuff. The best I've seen and I've seen a few. Hence my conclusion.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

runcible wrote:Well in my opinion he's the most incredible guitarist I have ever witnessed on stage (just ahead of Ronald Jones, ex Flaming Lip).
whatever happened to ronald jones? he we indeed awesome in the f'lips. 'clouds taste metallic' is where they got it right in my opinion. wish i'd seen them live around then..

i'm glad to hear about the verve, but a little dubious about anyone's ability to curb ashcroft's ego. we shall seeeee!
twentysixdollars
Known user

I don't know if I agree with all this dark talk about the reunion being primarily a money-making enterprise. For one thing, when a bunch of kids form a pop band, they generally assume they're going to get rich anyway, and the fact that it didn't work out at first for Verve is beside the point. (OK, so I guess I don't really entirely disagree with the cash-grab argument. I just think it's irrelevant.)

Second of all, this was clearly Ashcroft's idea - remember the tabloid reports last year that had him depressed and threatening suicide over the direction of his career?
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

twentysixdollars wrote:
Second of all, this was clearly Ashcroft's idea - remember the tabloid reports last year that had him depressed and threatening suicide over the direction of his career?
i didn't know this. would there still be alink to this story?
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

All I can say is WOW! I really look forward to these gigs. As for new material hmmmmm... i just hope its not all love ballads to kate.

M
Design.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Wonder if Jason will reform SP3 to spite Ashcroft... :wink:
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Laz69 wrote:Wonder if Jason will reform SP3 to spite Ashcroft... :wink:
or the original Spritualized line up? :shock:
Superstar
Known user

Post by Superstar »

clewsr wrote:or the original Spritualized line up? :shock:
Something tells me that Kate won't be returning...
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

clewsr wrote:
Damn, y'both read my mind.

While the 2000's reunion lovefest continues on unabated, let's see whether we can also tick the Stone Roses and the Smiths off the list...

I suppose it'd also be asking too much to expect Storm in Heaven pt.2...?
. . . heligoland . . .
29.11.07 mécanique ondulatoire, paris // 16.01.08 divan du monde, paris
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

I'm not a huge fan of any of their LP's other than ASIH really,although ANS is a decent record too, but they were an awesome live band and I'd jump at the chance to see them play again.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Calling A Northern Soul "decent" is simply inaccurate. That album is incredible at the very least.
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

TheWarmth wrote:Calling A Northern Soul "decent" is simply inaccurate. That album is incredible at the very least.
That's the only one of the three albums that I never really got into. Although it does get rave reviews around these parts. Probably should give it another chance.

ASIH and the early singles, however... music doesn't get much better than that, imho.

"...this is the pure essence of prog rock, but in the best possible sense--stargazing, not shoegazing..."
Spin (08/01/1993)
. . . heligoland . . .
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

TheWarmth wrote:Calling A Northern Soul "decent" is simply inaccurate. That album is incredible at the very least.
it took me quite a while to really get into ANS.
now i love it. And yes Ash, try it again. And again.... if need be.
But not sure how someone elses opinion could be "simply inaccurate".
Simply put, Verve are the best live band I have ever seen.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
twentysixdollars
Known user

Took me five or six years to get into A Northern Soul. Then one winter it hit me. Hard. It's by far their most challenging release. But it's as rewarding as the others. Verve are one of the few acts I can think of that have a uniformly and probably equally excellent album catalogue.
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

twentysixdollars wrote:Verve are one of the few acts I can think of that have a uniformly and probably equally excellent album catalogue.
It is good to hear people say stuff like that about them - as opposed to the "I like your old stuff better than your new stuff"-ism that tends to be applied to Urban Hymns by the older fans, as it was the album that sold by the bucketload. If this forthcoming record is 3/4 as good as Urban Hymns, it'll still be a cracker by anyone's standards.
. . . heligoland . . .
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

It's always baffled me why ANS isn't as highly regarded as ASIH as I regard it as the best album they made. It contains my favourite Verve track, 'Stormy Clouds/Reprise' and has loads of other brilliant moments.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

ash wrote:
clewsr wrote:

While the 2000's reunion lovefest continues on unabated, let's see whether we can also tick the Stone Roses and the Smiths off the list...

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/entertainmen ... =zzz9x7498

&

http://www.johnsquire.com/

I think thats one that won't be happening

Nice pics Jaaaahhhhn!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

twentysixdollars wrote:Took me five or six years to get into A Northern Soul. Then one winter it hit me. Hard. It's by far their most challenging release. But it's as rewarding as the others. Verve are one of the few acts I can think of that have a uniformly and probably equally excellent album catalogue.
Couldn't agree more, all the albums are brilliant. Even though UH is my least favourite its still one of the albums of its decade.

But ANS hit me straight away, and just got better and better from there. God I hope they play 'Reprise' on the new tour..
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

eleKtroniK:musiK wrote:
ash wrote:
clewsr wrote:

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/entertainmen ... =zzz9x7498

&

http://www.johnsquire.com/

I think thats one that won't be happening

Nice pics Jaaaahhhhn!
thanks God. the 2nd album blew (i need to sell my copy) and brown's vocal ability is questionable
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

a new direction for ashcroft? maybe down his arse :lol: :wink: ...if i don't laugh at that no one will!
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

burningwheel wrote: thanks God. the 2nd album blew (i need to sell my copy) and brown's vocal ability is questionable
Don't be fuckin' greedy; leave it somewhere with a post-it note inside, saying why you have chosen to distance yourself from it. Perhaps it may go to a good home...

PS. If your habitat is considered a wetter climate; please place the CD in a waterproof container. I can recomend the zippable wallets Aldi are doing 5 for a quid this week. And also Sharpies (write on anything...anything!) pens...saves the post-it note.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

eleKtroniK:musiK wrote:
burningwheel wrote: thanks God. the 2nd album blew (i need to sell my copy) and brown's vocal ability is questionable
Don't be fuckin' greedy; leave it somewhere with a post-it note inside, saying why you have chosen to distance yourself from it. Perhaps it may go to a good home...

PS. If your habitat is considered a wetter climate; please place the CD in a waterproof container. I can recomend the zippable wallets Aldi are doing 5 for a quid this week. And also Sharpies (write on anything...anything!) pens...saves the post-it note.
:?: :shock: :roll:
twentysixdollars
Known user

Another (possibly inconsequential) Verve augury: I'm starting to find the US singles on Virgin in more and more stores. I'm speaking specifically of the ~1998 "Bitter Sweet Symphony" single, in a standard jewel box, similar to the UK CD2 except with the standard version of BSS and the addition of "Lord I Guess I'll Never Know". (This one: http://www.amazon.com/Bitter-Sweet-Symp ... B000006JSS ). As far as I know it's been out of print for at least six or seven years, yet the copy that I looked at yesterday had an $8 price tag dated July 7, 2007 - as well as one of those protective stickers on the top (which I don't remember seeing much of prior to 2000). I'm not sure if Virgin has quietly reissued these discs, or is simply repackaging old stock and getting them out to the stores, but it's interesting nonetheless.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Well I was just thinking about this the other day- quite apart from if the reunion is 'successful' or not, the renewed interest in the band may make the record company interested in finally getting some Verve rarities out there.. there's so much to be enjoyed including:

-as yet uncompiled ANS and UH B sides, i've made comps of these myself and they work as proper albums.

-the much bootlegged UH demos

-Unreleased songs like Staring Stranger, Mover, Black and Blue, Change My Life, South Pacific,

-Video footage of Haigh Hall 98, Camden 93 (?), and much more.

-And of course, all that luverly live stuff.

Or of course all the above in a nice boxset. At the very least its perfect timing to get a deluxe UH out.
twentysixdollars
Known user

As far as I know, Virgin/EMI doesn't do deluxe editions (Sony/Universal does), but I might be wrong, and it's an interesting thought, and there are, as you say, albums' worth of b-sides for both ANS and UH - anyway that's what I was getting at - the Verve being back together make the Verve a viable commercial property to Virgin again. Pity b-side compilations don't usually sell in quantity.

Did Verve actually record any of those ca. '93 unreleased tunes in the studio? ("Mover", "South Pacific", etc.) That would be news to me. They would certainly have been b-sides if they had.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I believe Mover was recorded in the studio (from the horses mouth- McCabe said so on his myspace)

And yeah, like you say its interesting to see (if?) the band become a viable commercial property again. I could be wrong (and although Urban Hymns was ginormous) but I don't remember the 'This Is Music' album doing that well. But that was hardly a satisfying or brilliantly thought out collection.

although i'm sure B-sides albums don't sell massively well, the overheads in producing must also be small- the tracks are already recorded, mastered, etc. All thats needed is a bit of art direction and minimal promotion.
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

if anybody is interested i have the box set of singles with b-sides on vinyl that i'm trying to unload. i believe it's 5 pieces of vinyl. i'd be happy to talk trade.

PM if anybody is interested.

thanks
shonn
twentysixdollars
Known user

angelsighs wrote:But that was hardly a satisfying or brilliantly thought out collection.
No kidding. For some reason they included the long version of Gravity Grave, even though the No Come Down & Verve EP versions are both widely available, and yet the long version of She's a Superstar was inexplicably omitted. Not sure whether This Is Music charted, but it was clearly a contract filler, and labels tend to prefer best-ofs to b-side compilations because, again, the overheads are small and there's a better chance of big-box customers having a passing interest in picking it up. To that end I do think Virgin did a poor job of associating the hits ("Bitter Sweet Symphony", "The Drugs Don't Work", etc.) with This is Music as opposed to Urban Hymns, which is what they should have done if they actually wanted to sell a copy or two. But it seems to me that the project was doomed from the start; best-ofs don't seem to sell that well in the UK, and as for America, all the hits are on Urban Hymns.
although i'm sure B-sides albums don't sell massively well, the overheads in producing must also be small- the tracks are already recorded, mastered, etc. All thats needed is a bit of art direction and minimal promotion.
True, and for some reason No Come Down is still in print, so anything's possible. But returns are usually small.