<<<New Music Thread!>>>

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

BzaInSpace
Site Admin

<<<New Music Thread!>>>

Post by BzaInSpace »

Well, it's about that time again and in a cunning attempt to balance the er, negativity currently hurtling around the threads I ask...what has tickled your fancy recently? Can be new/old/reissue whatever -

Me first...

Pharoahe Monch - 'Desire'
BRILLIANT! Probably the best album this year so far bar White Stripes. I've been raving about this one for a bit now and it was worth the wait. Eight years since the debut and this takes Monch's sound somewhere completely different. A lot of the vocals and treatment and overall sound really reminds me of a Marvin Gaye album from seventies... Monch's skills as a rapper/storyteller deluxe have only been heightened over time. Really beautiful. And just in time for [non existant] summer. You know the name.

Mastodon - 'Blood Mountain'

OTT, crazed, heavy crypto-metal skewed with jazz timings and eternal solo madness. To me it's like Mahavishnu Orchestra loaded up on PCP and whiskys. In a good way. Or maybe Slayer doing The Yes Album. I love it! I seen them live a while back and it just confirms how good they are. You would either love it or hate it, but hey, i'm a lover baby.

2 Lone Swordsmen - 'Wrong Meeting II'

Aye, been waiting for this one too. Bit confused though - was there an original version of this album? Still, Weatherall and Tenniswood strike back. And Andy is singing all the way through. A bit like Gun Club or/and Suicide. Minimal electronica, but very heavy on drums/bass/g u i t ars...Fantastic. Anyone into older 2LS material may not dig this at all. But it's really good. Influences condensed.
When those posing NME fodder twats talk about post-punk influnces THIS is what they THINK they sound like. Cheers Mr Weatherall.

Amerie - 'Because I Love It'

Another one for the sunshine we all are waiting for in the UK. Probably not many here who may enjoy but I dare you, you never know. Amerie is one of the greatest singers out there just now. Cyber funk and soul/modern R&B/shiny, shiny pop with a production par excellence. A lot of great tunes and for any who missed it earlier it includes '1 Thing' - maybe the greatest single of all time - as a 'bonus' track. There is a lot of love on this album.

Solomon Burke - 'Atlantic Sessions - Home in your heart'

OK, I've had this for a while but only listened to the second CD properly recently so it's gotta be here. It's the fucking business. Immediately makes the top soul albums ever to be honest. There is an awesome take on 'What'd I Say' that sounds like it was recorded in church, complete with improvised choir, maybe. The various musicians and producers [mid to late 60's] include Spooner Oldham, Roger Hawkins, Dan Penn, Tom Dowd, Jerry Wexler...deep fried soul. But you just need to know the songs are immortal and beautiful. Fantastic.

Misunderstood - 'The Legendary Gold Star Recordings'

Tracked this one down, only for the insane take on 'I'm not talkin' that I heard years ago. Blues by way of early feedback experiments and freeform jamming. Cool, but so far only a couple of tracks realy do it for me. But they make it more than worthwhile!

MC Eiht - 'Underground Hero'

This totally skipped me as it was released in 2002. The last album I bought form Fopp records. For one pound. And its magic. Eiht's language has not gotten any better which makes it all the better. Some great beat magic on here, and it sounds great cranked right up.

Let's hear from you all, and please no mention of O**is.
At least until the release the Spiritualized/'Tender' knock off they threaten everyone with.

Kick it...

:D
Last edited by BzaInSpace on Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Dean and Britta - Since I Lay My Burden Down :!:
I think I feel it coming on
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Bza, i saw a band at Glastonbury called The Enemy, on earlish on the Other stage one of the days. I didn't know if to laugh, vomit, f*** off or what, but curiously i hung around. Being stuck in mud and unable to move did me no favours. However by the end of the set i was glad i stayed. They set out (to me ) as just a s***** 3 piece. By the end it wasn't the tune(s) that won me over so much, but the way they delivered their canon ammo was pretty impressive. Those young guys deserve credit for that at least and now out of curiosity, i think i'll buy their album.
What more can the heart of a man desire?
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Well for starters B. I like the positive note this of this thread!

I've just been listening to to Pacific Ocean Blue and thoroughly enjoying it; as a relative later-comer to that album it was certain folks here that inspired me to listen to it again...and again, ad infinitum.

This week I've been mostly listening to The Life Pursuit which initially I wasn't totally convinced by, having much appreciated the new direction of Dear Catastrophe Waitress (and also the Storytelling soundtrack album). However I'm now totally appreciating the slightly more raw direction in B&S's latest...the new Americana influences Stuart Murdoch has embraced with the (slightly) stripped-down instrumentation on this one, but on my recent listens it now takes me back to the tunefulness of the Belle & Sebastian I know and love with slight overtones of Elliot Smith and Ryan Adams, whilst showing a move forwards for the band that I hope they can keep up in terms of future recordings. I have to admit I do prefer the live versions of certain songs with the added orchestration augmenting the recorded material, but I hope for even greater things from the next LP...and I'm now confident they will deliver when that time comes.

I have to confess 2007 hasn't provided that much by way of new released stuff I've heard so far, but I'm looking forwards to new stuff from bands such as Dream Machine (some ex-Ozrics/Eat Static folks) and new material by AOS3 and the new Citizen Fish album that Dick Lucas assures me is just awaiting the a-work...plus the new album The Early Years are currently working on.

Also some tasters of the new Magnétophone material that's currently in production with the help of JP Lapham from The Earlies that hopefully will materialize soon, though the band have been very quiet of late.

If we're lucky maybe some sonically mangled remixes of the new Dean & Britta album may turn up, though the Back Numbers album stands up enough on it's own, in comparison with L'avventura, though that was a good LP.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The new Icarus Line album 'Black Lives At The Golden Coast ' has some explosively good tunes. OK - not a new band but a new record. The Mojo review made it interesting enough to buy - it ranges from thoroughly pissed off punk to full blown U2 style (just a single track like that). I've tried to convert a few people to this. The best moments are brilliant.

On the other hand I bought the new Air Conditioning CD ('Dead Rails') after reading the same Mojo and it's praising review. It's too unlistenable for even me - a howling, shredding barrage of clumsy guitar fisticuffs. Can't work it out at all.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

mojo filters wrote: I've just been listening to to Pacific Ocean Blue and thoroughly enjoying it; as a relative later-comer to that album it was certain folks here that inspired me to listen to it again...and again, ad infinitum.

This week I've been mostly listening to The Life Pursuit which initially I wasn't totally convinced by, having much appreciated the new direction of Dear Catastrophe Waitress .
Hey, 'Pacific Ocean Blues'!
Heard some of that very recently at Orbital Towers and it sounds amazing early sunday morning - like 'Exile On Main St'. Breakfast of champions.

Belle & Sebastian - which album did they do the song that goes 'She called me today....' - its verses beat the choruses - I love that song! Motown Vs. Sgt. Peppers. Do they do other tunes like it?

And Runcible - I reckon you would dig Mastodon.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

It's the beautifully-produced 'Step Into My Office Baby', one of the highlights from Dear Catastrophe Waitress...I'm not sure if Stuart Murdoch ever worked in an office, but it always takes me back when I hear the line "She gave me some dictation, but my strength is in administration" 'cause I fucking used to hate PA/sec work...brilliant song!

Pacific Ocean Blues - not the most original choice, but it shows Dennis Wilson progressing so strongly - he so desperately needs a decent back catalogue reissue...'nuff said :!: ...ever so slightly more satisfying than Exile on Main St at 4am...sent my regards to T...hope the toast was warm mind...
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

We should have these threads more often!

The Life Pursuit is a genius album. It's proved to be incredible pleasing over the last year. Dear Catastrophe Waitress hasn't aged as well, IMO, but it's still a good listen. You guys have the Book EP with "Your Cover's Blown" on it? Fuck, that song is amazing! The bass alone is worth the admission price.

SFA ~ HEY VENUS!
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

in terms of 'new' new music i don't really find much interest or hope (or magic!) in much of it: the current bigwigs, Arcade Fire, Panda Bear/Animal Collective tend to depress me. i do love the latest Stooges and SFA records from this year. and maybe another 2007 release, but i can't really remember so it mustn't be true.

what i have been listening to is the recent reissue of Warren Zevon's Stand In The Fire, and (thanks to this board) i spend days and days listening to the entire The Byrds catalogue back-to-back. good days. oh, and Johnny Cash's Bitter Tears which i finally picked up a few weeks past.

the other 2007 release, i remembered, was Icky Thump. some pretty cack numbers on there, but some great stuff - especially can't wait to hear A Martyr For My Love live. though dunno when that'll be, unfortunately.

and i forgot all about the new Icarus Line record until i saw runcibles post so that'll definitely take up next weeks listening. love that band. saw them live (and met them - felt kinda bad for them, they still seem to be slumming it around waiting for their big break when it shoulda happened last time around - supporting the pretty rubbish Evan Dando/Lemonheads) and they still packed a swagger, aaron north or not. i'm not expecting the gargantuan, pugalistic Appetite-meets-Funhouse stylings of the terrific Penance Soiree, but i have faith: theyre the best band in the world!
gonna burn brightly
for a while
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Mr. Hudson & The Library.
GusGus.
(More) Rufus Wainwright.
Bandish Project.
Paolo Nutini.
Forty Thieves Orkestra.
MIA.
The Bees.
The Enemy.
Beirut.
Mahala Ria Banda - Electric Gypsyland.

Just a brief list of bands/artists from Glasto that i'll dive head first into.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

oooooooh, nice thread.

have probably said this before, buy you all *have* to check out the new(ish) EP by Holy Fuck. it's just brilliant, and rather summery.
MUFCSPACEMAN
Known user

Post by MUFCSPACEMAN »

Last edited by MUFCSPACEMAN on Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

The Jig wrote: Mahala Ria Banda - Electric Gypsyland.

hey, superb!
must've been nice to hear live
ThiefofFire
Known user

Post by ThiefofFire »

I really like the recent Stars of the Lid album, 'And Their Refinement of the Decline'... it's very dreamy drone/ambient reminiscent of Brian Eno, Gavin Bryars, and (I think) Spiritualized at times. I think the group has been discussed elsewhere on this forum but I'm not sure this album has
darynm
Known user

Post by darynm »

Maps – We can Create

http://www.myspace.com/mapsmusic

Reviews namechecked the likes of Spiritualized, MBV, The Chills – I can see what they meant. Dreamlike bedroom symphonies out of Northampton.

The Tuss

http://www.myspace.com/thetussmusic

Is it the Aphex or is it not? The evidence gathered by the press and the hardcore fans would suggest that it is. Brian Tregaskin or Karen Tregaskin or Richard D James? Squelchiness abounds with pumping bass. I see Brian has his own myspace page now too.

http://www.myspace.com/briantregaskin

Siobhan Donaghy - Ghosts

http://www.myspace.com/siobhandonaghyparlophone

First member of the Suagababes to jump ship. This is her second solo album which has been a critical success and seemingly a commercial flop (number 98 in album charts). Great pop songs displaying a wider pop awareness of the likes of the Cocteaus, Massive and Kate Bush (see Medevac).

Arthur and Yu

http://www.myspace.com/arthurandyu

Only been listening to this lot on their myspace page. Reminds me of the Velvets in the way Mazzy Star used to back in the early 90s. Boy/girl singing gets me every time. Has a bit of a folk thing going on too. I think I am going to really like this lot.

Thanks for all the pointers so far,liking the sound of the Icarus Line and the Pharoahe stuff. Cheers.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

All this stuff is making me really happy at the moment:

Vegetal - Free Thinkers Are Dangerous
Angry psytrance from Sweden. Bit too much politics but the music is so well produced and still has some melodies, which are lacking in so much harder psytrance.

Earth - Hibernaculum & Live Hex
Spaghetti western meets heavy drone-rock.

MRK1 - Copyright Laws
Heavy dubstep. With a nice remix of Sizzla's "I Got To".

50Hz Records/Jamie Bissmire
Pounding chicago sounding techno.

Boikutt + Friends - Ramallah Underground
Palestinian Hip Hop. Some collaborations with other MC's from the UK and elsewhere and various Gaza/West Bank producers. Rhymes in English and Arabic sound cool.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

ro wrote:
The Jig wrote:Mahala Ria Banda - Electric Gypsyland.
hey, superb!
must've been nice to hear live
That's the beauty of the place, just by going for a walk you get to hear stuff you'd normally miss. And sometimes something special stops you in your tracks for a while.

Looking forward to the new Massive Attack release whenever that may be. Contributions by many, including, Hope Sandoval, Damon Albarn and Dot Allison apparently.

This... http://www.1gl19.com/ ... is going to be amazing. Check it ro if you are able to. It'll be a stunning audio-visual film.
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

Went to see a group on the weekend on a friend's recommendation - a five piece of barely-out-of-their-teens lads called Little Red. Think early Beatles, doo-wop, R&B, 4-part harmonies, synchronised guitar moves, etc, etc. Really, really great stuff. Very talented, and with interest from the right areas I have no doubt they'll probably become one of those "made it on myspace" bands.

http://www.myspace.com/littleredmusic
. . . heligoland . . .
29.11.07 mécanique ondulatoire, paris // 16.01.08 divan du monde, paris
Mustard
Known user

Post by Mustard »

Howln' Wolf - Rocking Chair/Moanin' at the Moonlight
Muddy Waters - Anthology
Junior Kimbrough - Sad Days Lonley Nights
Entrance - Prayer Of Death

First 3 fantastic although Entrance is just ok.
mkb
Known user

Re: <<<New Music Thread!>>>

Post by mkb »

BzaInSpace wrote: 2 Lone Swordsmen - 'Wrong Meeting II'

Aye, been waiting for this one too. Bit confused though - was there an original version of this album? Still, Weatherall and Tenniswood strike back. And Andy is singing all the way through. A bit like Gun Club or/and Suicide. Minimal electronica, but very heavy on drums/bass/g u i t ars...Fantastic. Anyone into older 2LS material may not dig this at all. But it's really good. Influences condensed.
When those posing NME fodder twats talk about post-punk influnces THIS is what they THINK they sound like. Cheers Mr Weatherall.
Yeah, that's a great record, and it is the original. However, it's the second 'Wrong Meeting' album of the year, and I can't recommend the first one highly enough, another great record involving Weatherall (who was my highlight of last weeks T in the Park, a great way to kick off the Sunday at 11.30am)
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

Mustard wrote: Howln' Wolf - Rocking Chair/Moanin' at the Moonlight
Muddy Waters - Anthology
Junior Kimbrough - Sad Days Lonley Nights

First 3 fantastic .

yes they are!! well done, did you get those on cd or vinyl??

if you want more of the junior kimbrough go to fat possum's website they have some great references. also i highly recommend the DVD "you laughin' at me" one of the best examples of rural blues i've ever seen, and trust me, i've seen alot.

great picks!

shonn
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

Bought two LPs on the weekend after recommendations from here - West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band "Volume 1" on Sundazed, and Earth 2 on subpop. WCPAEB I'm loving an awful lot, but Earth 2... might take me a long time to get into.....
. . . heligoland . . .
29.11.07 mécanique ondulatoire, paris // 16.01.08 divan du monde, paris
Mustard
Known user

Post by Mustard »

Shonn, all on CD but intend to back and pick up what I can on vinyl. I've already looked at the Fat Possam website and i'll keep a look out for the DVD. Looking for some recommendations on blues but I'll start new post for help.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Ulrich's Schnauss's new long player, "Goodbye" is rather good.
Gruff
Known user

Post by Gruff »

I've got really fond of my Glitterhouse records comp 'Nevermind' that I bought but never quite digisted properly last year. Good mix of singer-songwriters in indie-country-americana-rock-blues vein. Love Butch Hancock's addition. I've never investigated anything else on the label (bar an earlier comp called 'silos and utility sheds'), is it worth it?

A friend sent me a MD full of Tom Waits stuff which is great but is, again, hard to digest as it's 80 tracks long and is quite a lot of material to wade through and 'get to know'. which I often find essential to getting the most from music.
When the hand points to the moon only the fool looks at the finger
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

a beautiful noise wrote:also i highly recommend the DVD "you laughin' at me"
bangin'
just ordered this and am pretty excited.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
runcible
Site Admin

Kool Aid Electric Company

Post by runcible »

Thought this was worth people knowing about.

Relatively new band - not even sure if they have any material about but I received a quality live recording of a recent gig they did in my part of the world.

http://rapidshare.com/files/42281069/Ko ... 7.zip.html

On repeated listens it's really pretty good. Blasts of Warlocks, bit of Dandys... you know. I'm told they may be connecting with people from The Quarter After in the US to do some recording. Anyway - worth a listen at least.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

DAVID THOMAS BROUGHTON with his new release "It’s in There Somewhere".

http://www.birdwar.com/broughton.htm

http://www.myspace.com/davidthomasbroughton

makes you want to do again your exams in your taste of music.

cheers Bza for mentioning Two Lone Swordsmen new album. that one has some wicked moments!

and, i really hope that everyone knows i ain't talking about kindergarden indie, but Caribou's new one is pretty good too.
but talking about kids doing indie - new album by The Concretes suxxxx. what a bore.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Does anyone else have the new Panda Bear album, Person Pitch? I bet it would go over really well with a lot of you guys.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

here's some new music I've been enjoying:
http://www.myspace.com/sonsofthesun

nice very heavy sound but lush, too.
I went to see them the other night and the music parts were great and deliciously LOUD but I did not enjoy the vocals.
If the taller guy sang more, it might be a better Live Experience.
He did one song at the end.
anyway they're worth a gander and bring earplugs.
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

ro wrote:here's some new music I've been enjoying:
http://www.myspace.com/sonsofthesun

nice very heavy sound but lush, too.
I went to see them the other night and the music parts were great and deliciously LOUD but I did not enjoy the vocals.
If the taller guy sang more, it might be a better Live Experience.
He did one song at the end.
anyway they're worth a gander and bring earplugs.

hmmm where have i heard this before.............
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

shonn, I got caught passing notes so I had to share with the Class.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

deerhunter.
http://www.myspace.com/deerhunter
they were the best band i saw at pitchfork fest a few weeks ago. fantastic and beautiful stuff. i bought both of their cds.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

TheWarmth wrote:Does anyone else have the new Panda Bear album, Person Pitch? I bet it would go over really well with a lot of you guys.
not really all over me, but i'm thinking that that one really hints something. but if i listen them first and then put on Nurse With Wound & Stereolab "Simple Headphone mind", then i have to say that i remember not much about Panda Bear. anyway, let them try more again!
if pandas release something new, then nod, Warmth.

Deerhunter. ALRIGHT!! their song "Strange lights" has been the feel-good-hit-of-the-summer of this summer. yeah, i so much like the sunny motives in that song: "We walk, we do not run, because walking is half of fun". can't go any better than that. so much sun in that one song is explosive.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

natty wrote:All this stuff is making me really happy at the moment:

Angry psytrance
Heavy dubstep.
Palestinian Hip Hop. Rhymes in English and Arabic sound cool.
if you want something that will shatter screwes in your brain and blow out cabbage from ears, then accept stereodeath from Pan Sonic:

http://www.slimsmith.com/blastfirstpeti ... cnews.html

AntiVainio: "There is a theory. We have a plan. We make not only just music."

bleed on.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

veiko wrote:

Angry psytrance
Heavy dubstep.
Palestinian Hip Hop. Rhymes in English and Arabic sound cool.
if you want something that will shatter screwes in your brain and blow out cabbage from ears, then accept stereodeath from Pan Sonic:

http://www.slimsmith.com/blastfirstpeti ... cnews.html

AntiVainio: "There is a theory. We have a plan. We make not only just music."

bleed on.
Cheers, will check it out. Have got a couple of 12" of theirs upstairs I quite like.
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

natty wrote:
Have got a couple of 12" of theirs upstairs.
Get with the times, Grandad!

:wink:
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

50Hz Records/Jamie Bissmire
Pounding is not strong enough, natty...this 'shit' is relentless, has to be; anyone thats bold enough to have BASS repeated through a track had better be able to back it up!

Any more recommendations on the Psy-Trance side of things...
Only started to take an interest...some of it's fairly slick...reminds me of Space Manoeuvres (dunno if your familiar, Lost Language label) although the bpm is raised a bit...crosses into progressive house a bit...ahhhh tags n tags n tags!!

I'm listening to Slam - Human Response at present...
usual kinda deep, techy-house but can see the influence of other artists on the Soma label creeping in...
Dot Allsion has co-written a track...some of you'll remember her spoken about on here...it's entitled We Medicate...

Also waiting the release of Vector Lovers - Afterglow

Nice to see that the people at Soma have decided to ditch releasing non-digital formats...as a way of reducing there carbon footprint. A bold step for a small(ish) underground Dance label.

I was pondering this the other day...in Virgin Records...and in-fact go into any highstreet record shop...very little back catalogue stuff or specialist stuff now...so i think the demise of the records shop is almost fulfilled...although I'm sure everyone intravenously plugged into there laptops, pc's, mp3 players must emit something damaging too...possibly a stench of elitist bullshit!
Shoulders back, smash it
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Depends what you're after with psytrance really, some of it's almost like Progressive House and some is almost like Gabba - there's like 170bpm stuff coming out of Russia and Germany at the moment. Some good progressive stuff:
Younger Brother - Even Dwarves Start Small
Vibrasphere - Archipelago
Son Kite - Colours

Purely psychedelic:
Hallucinogen - Twisted (classis)
Bigwigs - Fraktalik Fraterniti (this is awesome - not heard any other trance that sounds like it)
Tristan - Chemisphere
Psysex - Come In Peace (50's sci-fi b-movie theme)
Shpongle - Anything (you can hardly even call this psytrance, it mashes so much stuff together, Simon Posford is a genius)
Rip Van Hippy - The Whole World's Hip and That's not Cool (Trance-Jazz anyone?)

Hard:
Vegetal - Free Thinkers Are Dangerous (bit much politics, but really well produced and still has melodies, whicha lot of hard psytrance lacks, loads of guitar as well)
PsyShark Records - Trippy Sharks Vol.1
Para Halu
Kin Dza Dza
The Nommos

Here's a couple of tracks:
Tristan & Lucas - Porcupine
http://download.yousendit.com/D292EDE11BDE4230

Vegetal - Global Intifada
http://download.yousendit.com/FBA3F63C61C7A585

And that Jamie Bissmire stuff is just brutal. Really, really like it.
Sonny Munns
Known user

new music

Post by Sonny Munns »

Not the least bit trancy but I think lots of people here would like this band:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... id=5120382 (listen to Helium Heels)
They are called Darker My Love (not the best name in the world, but) from LA and are absolutly amazing both live and on record! Full On psych-rock & roll(there's a few slower tunes in the mix too) but the whole album hits you like a ton of bricks! A ton of brcks you'll repeatedly smash yourself with or blow the speakers out in you car if you haven't already done that...really amazing players as well as fantastic guitar, bass, and drum tones, sounds, etc.
Anyway, I saw them live a year or two ago, immediatly bought the ep they had at that show, bought the self titled full length when it came out, have had it playing over and over since, bought copies for gifts to give to friends, and I also bought the album as a double LP as soon as I heard about it... :shock: so yes, it's pretty good...
hope some of you can dig it.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

eleKtroniK:musiK wrote:
Nice to see that the people at Soma have decided to ditch releasing non-digital formats...as a way of reducing there carbon footprint. A bold step for a small(ish) underground Dance label.
Firstly - yeah I know talking to myself...again
Secondly - Bza, cool thread i aint trying to twist it any with this post it's just that I started...

Anyway

Got a wee e-mail from Hawtin today saying that all his and fellow M_nus/Plus8 artisits are offsetting there carbon emissions when they clock up the air miles...which they do.
Furthermore, he is also only using re-cycled materials as packaging with any future releases. They are aware that the manufacturing processeces used to make vinyl & CD's are damaging but at present they will still release in these formats but continue to champion downloading.

I'm keen to learn of any other labels that are using only recycled products or offering only downloads...anyone?

Erm...new music

UNKLE - War Stories (Surrender All)
Matthew Dear - Asa Breed (Ghostly)

Shonn if you want to share in the Stories drop me a line.
Shoulders back, smash it
olliemorr
Known user

Post by olliemorr »

I'm totally addicted to a band who I found on MySpace towards the end of last year. They're called Time. Space. Repeat. and you can find them here:
http://www.myspace.com/timespacerepeat

They make beautiful sounds, and I think people on here would definitely appreciate them. Their tracks 'End of the World' and 'Blue Skies & Rain' in particular.
It's difficult to describe their sound....I guess you can hear elements of Spz in there, some Six By Seven and even some MBV. Their sounds are BIG. They like to refer to themselves as Stargazers (as opposed to Shoegazers).

They're an unsigned London band and they even have an album which you can download for free, called 'Early Transmissions':
http://www.archive.org/details/LostChildren014

You can download some more of their stuff from here:
http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?so ... 708&T=7361

I caught them live at The Windmill in Brixton on Saturday and boy do their songs come to life in live form. This band deserves to be signed.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

I saw The Colours launch their new single in Reading a few days ago. Some really interesting elements to their songs, and a remarkably tight and dynamic rhythm section that formed the most powerful part of the live sound that night.

It's worth checking them out at:

http://www.myspace.com/thecoloursreading

I'd be interested to hear what folks think.
Dave Chappelle
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »