New Record Finished

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

charles w
Known user

New Record Finished

Post by charles w »

Just heard JP interviewed on 6music's coverage of the Indian Summer Festival. He said that the new record was finished '3 days ago'. He sounded quite emotional about it all.
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

That's great news!
bcastle21
Known user

Post by bcastle21 »

now can we still expect a release this year???
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Emotional? How so?
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

WANT NOW.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/events/indiansummer/

it's on Guy Garvey's Finest Hour.

which starts out w/ Aztec Camera's "Oblivious", what a lovely song I'd forgotten about: They call us lonely when we're really just alone
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

definitely worth listening to, especially if yer a sap like me.
interview is about 1:15 min into the show.
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

nice recording of the Anything More/LAGWAFIS medley too...seems like J is straining a bit more on the vocals than on the theatre dates I guess due to the outdoor nature of the thing. On another point, what happened to the release of the first London or Brighton acoustic date? Will this ever happen?
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

Does anyone know anything about Daniel Johnston's performance at Indian Summer? I've not really seen much info on his set and was interested to find out what he played.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

From what i heard, he started off rather nervous but settled down after a couple of songs.

Highlights:

Walking the Cow,
Speeding Motorcycle,
Grievances,
Living Life,
Rock'n'Roll Ega
Hey Joe
Go!
True Love Will Find You in the End.

Daniel also performed a warm hearted version of The Beatles' You've Got To Hide Your Love Away as an encore.

Was a very good show apparently
good times
Known user

Post by good times »

all the gigs are acoustic for now, and i have some doubts...
will the new album include only acoustic guitar, a little keyboard, gospel choir and strings with jason's vocal?

well, if so, i'll be a little disappointed.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

good times wrote:all the gigs are acoustic for now, and i have some doubts...
will the new album include only acoustic guitar, a little keyboard, gospel choir and strings with jason's vocal?

well, if so, i'll be a little disappointed.
Doubt it will- i reckon some tracks will have that set up, others won't. Baby I'm Just A Fool and Death Take Your Fiddle have both been played with the full band set up. In my mind I can hear some wild mercury sound potential in the former (Cheapster part 2?).

I'm feeling very positive- arrangements aside I reckon the new songs are just very well written- Jasons best 'meat and potatoes', 'proper' songwriting since LICD.
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

Laz69 wrote:From what i heard, he started off rather nervous but settled down after a couple of songs.

Highlights:

Walking the Cow,
Speeding Motorcycle,
Grievances,
Living Life,
Rock'n'Roll Ega
Hey Joe
Go!
True Love Will Find You in the End.

Daniel also performed a warm hearted version of The Beatles' You've Got To Hide Your Love Away as an encore.

Was a very good show apparently
Thanx Laz69. Really wish I'd seen it. He was playing the BBC6 stage, yet there seems to be nothing on their about Daniel Johnston's set.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

nice interview! Guy Garvey (great bloke and great singer) chatting to Jason!

Jason seems not only emotional on finishing the record but, like that Guardian interview a little while back, much more open and less cagey than before. Maybe his illness has made him think 'life's too short?'

anyway, thanks for posting that charles w.
bring on the new album (according to this interview 'about an hour long'!)
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

angelsighs wrote:nice interview! Guy Garvey (great bloke and great singer) chatting to Jason!

Jason seems not only emotional on finishing the record but, like that Guardian interview a little while back, much more open and less cagey than before. Maybe his illness has made him think 'life's too short?'

anyway, thanks for posting that charles w.
bring on the new album (according to this interview 'about an hour long'!)
too true, it appears that jase is letting his guard down a bit. those recent interviews are proof. he really opens up. i too feel that dying twice might change your perspective on life. i'm glad he's opening up and i like the rest of you can't wait to hear the new album.

me.
estee
Known user

Post by estee »

great news about the album. does anybody else think jason had a few sherberts before the interview ?? its like listening to a different persson judging past interviews.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

So what happens now?

Is it a case of a single being released maybe October, followed by a November release for the album?

I can't wait.
warmgun.
Known user

Post by warmgun. »

Nice interview... Garvey comes off as a pretty funny, likeable guy, despite the mediocre music he and his band tend to produce... I may have to check out past episodes.

I too really like that Jason is so positive! Looking forward to the new music - very exciting!

It's cool to hear him comment kindly on contemporaries like the Lips - he sounded a little distracted throughout the whole of the interview, but who wouldn't be with that spectacle taking place mere metres away?

Thanks for the link!
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

yea, defo sounds like he's had a drop or two of Hennigans. exciting times - the new material (though when have Death Take Your Fiddle and Just A Fool been played electic?) is quite astonishing so... lets get it on, eh?
gonna burn brightly
for a while
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

jack white wrote: (though when have Death Take Your Fiddle and Just A Fool been played electic?)
The one off Sage 2005 gig I believe.

More evidence that the songs have varied arrangements is on the video that was posted on the website yonks ago- it briefly shows some lists of instruments for different tunes, which include everything from sleigh bells to tympani.
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

angelsighs wrote:
jack white wrote: (though when have Death Take Your Fiddle and Just A Fool been played electic?)
The one off Sage 2005 gig I believe.

More evidence that the songs have varied arrangements is on the video that was posted on the website yonks ago- it briefly shows some lists of instruments for different tunes, which include everything from sleigh bells to tympani.
yep yep, one of them i distinctly remember hearing because it was a minor chord progression. something rather rare for jase.

xx
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

angelsighs wrote:
Baby I'm Just A Fool... in my mind I can hear some wild mercury sound...
Yeah, that would be ace. I love that tune.
O P 8
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

Yeah at the Sage show they played electric versions Death take your fiddle and Baby I'm a fool and another one which had exactly the same arrangement as one of the tracks off the last record but with different words.
Baby I'm a fool electric was very cool and the one track that stuck in my head after the show, sounded very Lou Reed with the "do da do" refrain.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eat-lights-Become-lights/225847625393
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

did anyone record said sage gig?
maybe i just missed the post because i didn't notice it amongst the torrent of acoustic mainlines dates :?

anyway - if anyone has it, i (and i'm sure a few others on here) would appreciate the chance to hear these electric versions...

ta
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

Teh Sage show was a one off a couple of years ago and to the best of my knowledge nobody managed to tape it. A few board memebers were present and intended on taping it but where discovered by venue staff setting up, that's as much as I'm aware re this show...
veiko
Known user

Re: ...

Post by veiko »

They Transmit wrote:Teh Sage show was a one off a couple of years ago and to the best of my knowledge nobody managed to tape it. A few board memebers were present and intended on taping it but where discovered by venue staff setting up, that's as much as I'm aware re this show...
that was me who was busted when i was putting together my wires. my anger was softened by some good drinks before the show and meeting other cats like Tommy and Shonn.
but maybe we can see clearer now, we have to rely on our memory and not to some bootleg. anyway, horizons are not lost.
Sage is a beautiful place - space is the place.
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

LOL downer, you need to get a bit more Mission Impossible stylee next time V.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

They Transmit wrote:LOL downer, you need to get a bit more Mission Impossible stylee next time V.
damn right. moral of the story - always wear a pair on back-up batteries in your "trousers". will never miss a recording cuz of one pair of batteries only.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

veiko wrote:
They Transmit wrote:Teh Sage show was a one off a couple of years ago and to the best of my knowledge nobody managed to tape it. A few board memebers were present and intended on taping it but where discovered by venue staff setting up, that's as much as I'm aware re this show...
that was me who was busted when i was putting together my wires. my anger was softened by some good drinks before the show and meeting other cats like Tommy and Shonn.
but maybe we can see clearer now, we have to rely on our memory and not to some bootleg. anyway, horizons are not lost.
Sage is a beautiful place - space is the place.
ah well, thanks for trying anyway! guess you're right - we'll have to rely on your collective memories... (kinda makes the new album more of a mystery, which isn't a bad thing :) )
Zenchan
Known user

Post by Zenchan »

PLEASE tell me someone recorded/captured the interview and can upload it somewhere :wink: