The most underrated albums...EVER!

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

Time to pull a reverse sacred cow.

This is not a thread to plug obscuro releases that you think deserve more attention.

This is a thread for famous albums that are almost universally regarded as terrible that you think have (preferably considerable) merit.

Let's begin.

My #1 and obvious choice: Byrdmaniax. Yeah, that's right. Byrdmaniax. It has exactly one (1) bad song - and even that one, the way Clarence sings it, gets to me. The other ten (10) songs are OK (2) to good (4) to excellent (4).

#2 - Spacemen 3 - Performance, which is simply an impeccable edifice of gargantuan guitar noise. Alright, fuck it, maybe this one's not so famous. But those who have heard of it mostly dismiss it.

More to come. Your turn.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

13th Floor Elevators - Bull of the Woods. Not regarded as terrible but largely dismissed.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Double Fantasy - John Lennon, if you skip most of the Yoko Ono songs (1 or 2 are ok) it contains some his best solo work. Also it shows a really interesting progression in his songwriting, and what a 5 year break from making music, after he'd been doing it constantly for over 15 years, can do to refresh the quality of his solo material which I felt went a bit downhill on the Mind Games album, apart from the superb title track.

I know Double Fantasy sold well and benefited from the 'assasination dividend' in reviews at the time of release, but these days it always seems to get overlooked or criticized because his songwriting style had changed a bit.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
ABOCA
Known user

Post by ABOCA »

I Get High On You - Sly Stone's 1975 solo album.
twentysixdollars
Known user

Cool. Keep 'em coming. MUFCSPACEMAN?

Also:

Marvin Gaye - I Want You. Despite all the brazen padding (there are only six or so actual songs here), and the fact that it's also looser, lighter, and tackier than Let's Get It On, less moored to old-fashioned deep-soul three-beat than any of his other work - and also, Gaye does lack some of his customary virility - the harmonies are as beautiful as ever and most of the songs connect.

Leonard Cohen - Death of a Ladies' Man. The lyrics flirt with misogyny and the arrangements flirt with kitsch, but neither entity fully waltzes over to the dark side, and though most of this is excessive, I can still hum every tune and recite most of the words. Fascinating.

Does Smiley Smile count? It has sort of a cult following now even though it was dismissed for decades. Anyway, it's my favorite Beach Boys and one of the greatest and most unnerving rock and roll records ever made. If it doesn't count, let me submit the endlessly fascinating Little Deuce Coupe as my Beach Boys reverse sacred cow of choice.

If I start listing Byrds and Byrds-related records we'll be here all day. (Dr Byrds & Mr Hyde, Farther Along, the reunion album, Burrito Deluxe, Skip, Through the Morning Through the Night, etc. etc. etc....)

Van Morrison - Inarticulate Speech of the Heart, an album of crude synthesizer mood music, mostly instrumental - strangely touching and eminently listenable.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Yeah, I agree with I Want You for sure. I have the extended ["Deluxe"]edition of that, with some of the longer jams and unedited instrumental parts...sounds like filler galore but actually its all dead good.
I actually think I Want You is better than What's Goin' On.

How about Primal Scream's Evil Heat, that always seems to get a knocking for being slight, lack of tunes, and lesser than XTRMNTR or whatever... wrong!
A true modern punk rock classic. It actually sounds like it was recorded quickly - one take lets go - although it probably wasn't. In a good way. Plus it has 'Skull X' on it. And 'Deep Hit' is just bonkers.

Wu-Tang Forever - was initially raved about but quickly the critics - whoever they are - minds turned to mud and by a few years back was being panned as a folly, typical pretentious double-album, completely inferior to the debut 36 Chambers etc.etc.
My guess is nobody actually listened to it as it the 28 tracks put 'em off. Its a m a z i n g - to me the classic double album full stop. Pretentious in this instance is a good thing. There's so much in there, so many styles, moods, voices and thoughts filtered through and others referenced...can't really do something like this justice in a few soundbites.

What about the Beatles - the bastards that they are. Let It Be is often seen as the crappy last ditch album but I really like it. Spectorized and all. I mainly like it for the off the cuff tunes, not the 'Long & Winding Road' stuff.
I'm there for 'Two Of Us', 'Dig a Pony', 'Dig It'...even 'Maggie Mae'. Nice one. Maybe through familiarity this but I defy the critics and say - it's better than Revolver.

*ducks for cover*

The 'Naked' version was a bit crappy though.

The Stones - mentioned in another thread but the 'Satanic Majesties' album is nowhere near as bad as what's written about it. The sleeve is despicable right enough, but it has stuff like '2000 Light Years' on it. And 'Gomper'... what is a Gomper by the way?

Miles - 'On The Corner' has had plenty of mention here but all i'll say is that its fresh and out of this world. Critical opinon on this is just stupid.

And Prince, could have chosen anything after 1987 - when bizarre popular opinion would say the music went downhill...even the immortal Lovesexy was panned by many sources. I just don't get it, there's so much joy there and so much going on. Its alot, lot better IMO than the overrated Sign O' The Times. But we can leave overated for another thread :wink:

Let It Come Down? I vaguely remember the outrage/disappointment/overbaked claims when that came out, I think as time goes on its proven to be excellent. I think I play that one more than any of the others. Probably.

Be Here Now
.... :twisted: :wink:
O P 8
Sonny Munns
Known user

underrated

Post by Sonny Munns »

Seems like a good spot for me to chim in for a first post as I've delayed the seemingly inevitable long enough. Hi!

Anywho, I second Primal Scream's Evil Heat and Let it Come Down as well as the Parsons era Byrds.

New Order's Get Ready got abliterated buy the press when it came out even with the single Crystal being somewhat of a hit. I think the whole album is strong and every bit as good as much of New Order's catalog done in a rock and roll fashion only they could do.

Amazing Grace got written off as Spiritualized's token R&R record as well, but who doesn't like rock and roll and spiritualized? Great stuff!

Elastica is still amazing in my book and their later stuff from Menace that's on the last half of their BBC Radio One Sessions album sure is cool even though no one(esspecially here in the states) gave a hoot about it.

Black Sabbath's Sabatoge! Paranoid has got nothing on Sabatoge. Ever heard the first song Hole In the Sky? That trumps Paranoid alone.

Jesus and Mary Chain's Munki. How could I forget this! I'm a rabid JAMC fan, always have been always will, but Munki is genius! Maybe even stronger today than ever and IMO is as important as Psychocandy, yeah i said it, Woah!

I know being a fan of Oasis isn't a good way to make friends around here, but let me say that I came to appriciate them after ignoring them completely for, what like 12 years until a friend demanded that I buy Don't believe the Truth when it came out. Shelved it after a few runs through for about 3 months, then gave it another shot and I couldn't believe what I was hearing! I don't think the album got a whole lot of rave reviews, but after listening to their other albums afterward I have to say that DBTT is by far their best! Maybe it's because they were all contributing?Andy Bell? Dunno, but it works!

Again, this is a sore subject around here but The Warlocks Surgery album is still phenominal! For those that hate it(???) go back and put on some head phones and relax for an hour with it. Lots of late period JAMC influence...they were/are fantastic live everytime I saw them...I leave it at that, i know there has already been a few discusions here on the matter.
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

I agree with BZA about Let it Be-I love the rough, understated charm of the songs, and the Spector production of the tracks. Much prefer this version of Across the Universe over the other version, which normally seems to be favoured over the album track. I'd choose this album over Sgt Pepper's or Abbey Road any day. And I agree, the ....naked version was perverse. My mate bought it and it felt very wrong. Except for McCartney and his piano on The Long and Winding Road,

Also agree with BZA about Let it Come Down, except that I loved it from the day I heard it and always will probably. I'm still in awe over some of the layers on those songs, particularly Don't Just Do Something and Anything More.

As for my choices, I'd choose Red House Painters' Rollercoaster album. Beautiful melodies, songs ranging from understated, de-tuned acoustic folk songs to lenghty, hard-noise soundscapes and songs verging on shoegazing (except with tunes). The band performance as a whole is great, and the complexity of some of the arrangements always amazes me.

Maggot Brain-yeah, I know you've all heard this, but it should be bigger. No-one ever knows Funkadelic, and when they do they only know 'One Nation Under A Groove'. So tuneful and bursting with ideas, it's criminal that more people haven't heard it.

This is Hardcore-I played this the other day, and was amazed at how great the album is. So unfairly dismissed. A Little Soul is a lost classic pop song (as are most of Jarvis' singles), and the title track is immensely powerful. Fair enough, not every track is memorable, but it's good moments save it and merit far more respect than to be buried the way the album seemingly has.

Howl- I know BRMC are a 'love 'em-hate 'em' type band on this board, but this album is a lost modern classic. I like the band, but I can be immensely indifferent to some of their output-their new album has fallen off my stereo already. But Howl contains so many great moments, it disgusts me people would rather listen to Razorlight, Kooks, Killers or any of the other horrible modern rock that seems to be selling by the bucketload. This album has better hooks, better songs and way more attitude and soul than most modern bands. I just wish they'd gone down this route a bit more on their new album, or at least retained a bit more of Howl's spirit rather than return to their original sound.
radioshack
Known user

Re: underrated

Post by radioshack »

Sonny Munns wrote: I know being a fan of Oasis isn't a good way to make friends around here, but let me say that I came to appriciate them after ignoring them completely for, what like 12 years until a friend demanded that I buy Don't believe the Truth when it came out. Shelved it after a few runs through for about 3 months, then gave it another shot and I couldn't believe what I was hearing! I don't think the album got a whole lot of rave reviews, but after listening to their other albums afterward I have to say that DBTT is by far their best! Maybe it's because they were all contributing?Andy Bell? Dunno, but it works!
I actually played this album the other day too. I'am an Oasis fan too (I'll get our coats), and this album swings between being great and being awful for me. My opinion changes everyday. What has happend to Liam's voice? And I think andy Bell's songs are dreadful. Really lazy and dull. Gotta love Gem's song, as dad rock as it is.

Lyla, Let There Be Love, Mucky Fingers and Love Like a Bomb save it, but Noel sounds too indifferent for my liking. If Oasis want to at least try make one more great album, it'll need to be an album of songs written by Noel only.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

radioshack wrote: Maggot Brain-yeah, I know you've all heard this, but it should be bigger. No-one ever knows Funkadelic, and when they do they only know 'One Nation Under A Groove'. So tuneful and bursting with ideas, it's criminal that more people haven't heard it.
Being a new convert to Funkadelic (hats off to spzretent and Bza) I'll add my worth here. I love lots of Maggot Brain with its rippling guitar moves and general cool feel, and I bought other albums as a result. 'One Nation' isn't one of them (the others being the 1st album, Free Your Mind, America Eats Its Young - the last of which I don't get). So maybe I'm digging the less rated albums, but then I don't know the 1st thing about Funkadelic apart from the albums I've heard.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

radioshack wrote: Maggot Brain - So tuneful and bursting with ideas.

And those ideas just spilled onto 'Free Your Mind......' which concluded the early, and best, Funkadelic albums. After that there's not really any Funkadelic album like them.
runcible wrote:
Being a new convert to Funkadelic (hats off to spzretent and Bza) I'll add my worth here.

America Eats Its Young - which I don't get.
So didn't they recommend 'Standing On The Verge Of Getting It On' to you ? I'm surprised that they haven't, tut tut. 'America Eats Its Young' is not essential Funkadelic, the first 3 albums plus 'Standing On.....' are.
What more can the heart of a man desire?
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

I don't really care whether albums are deemed underrated or not, I only care if I like it. I'm struggling to find anything because of this. However, I'll plump for:

Non Stop Erotic Cabaret - Soft Cell. This band don't seem to be taken seriously. I don't know why. Granted, they're not as edgy as other synth groups like Suicide or Cabaret Voltaire etc, but it's great pop music. That's what it's all about. Who cares if they're not cool? Fuck that! I love this album.

Good shout on New Order's Get Ready. This album reminds me off a reallt carefree time in my life and brings back great memories. Maybe that clouds my judgement a little. I stuck this on last week for the first time in a couple of years and got a real buzz from it. Rock The Shack, Crystal & Turn My Way all sounded sweet. There's a couple of fillers on there but plenty of crackers too.

As already said, Evil Heat is fantastic. I'm glad I'm not alone here. It seemed to slip under most people's radars at the time. Shame.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

runcible wrote:13th Floor Elevators - Bull of the Woods. Not regarded as terrible but largely dismissed.
I concur.
Is there a weak spot on this album?
No.

okay, "Scarlet and Gold" drags on a bit.
but that's it.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Fuzzhead wrote: Non Stop Erotic Cabaret - Soft Cell.
Is that the one with the rather irresistable 'Where Did Our Love Go?' cover? If so I'll add some weight, mainly to that particular cover.

Nice one ro - Bull Of The Woods is a lovely listen. 'Doctor Doom' is a fine Roky track, but the pop that comes with the Stacy Sutherland-led songs should be appreciated by more than they are and outweigh the Erickson tracks by some distance here.
twentysixdollars
Known user

Runcie, you're ignoring my sole criterion. Maggot Brain is universally acclaimed!

And, Bza, although I was the one who brought it up, I Want You better than What's Going On? An unfairly-maligned, smooth-flowing lite soul/disco record with three fake orgasms better than one of the Greatest and most Important pop records ever made? IWY isn't even Marvin's vocal peak - that's either on Let's Get It On or Here My Dear (which I might have been tempted to include in my last had I compiled it five years ago...)
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Dylan And The Dead -- Even Knocked Out Loaded and Down In The Groove are generally admitted to have one song each (with "Brownsville Girl" and "Rank Strangers To Me" but Bob Dylan's fifth live album recorded with his obsessive fans The Grateful Dead in several huge stadium shows in 1987 was immediately dismissed by fans and critics alike as a useless and redundant cash-in. Dylan's case wasn't helped by the fact that his previous live album, "Real Live," had been released just five years earlier, but with fresh ears the album is a solid collection of professionally performed versions of some great songs from throughout Bob's career, some of them in the only live versions officially available. If Bob sounds a little bored, I think of it more as diffidence influenced by the leading new wave of the time.

A great Dylan record? No. Worth some appreciation? Definitely. I want Dylan to start releasing intermittent live albums every few years again.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

twentysixdollars wrote:Runcie, you're ignoring my sole criterion. Maggot Brain is universally acclaimed!
I just added to the comment rather than introduce it!
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

runcible wrote:
Fuzzhead wrote: Non Stop Erotic Cabaret - Soft Cell.
Is that the one with the rather irresistable 'Where Did Our Love Go?' cover? If so I'll add some weight, mainly to that particular cover.
Yeah, that's the one. It's a nice little cover version isn't it? It's Tainted Love MK2 - it's got almost identical electro samples.
MUFCSPACEMAN
Known user

Post by MUFCSPACEMAN »

Last edited by MUFCSPACEMAN on Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sonic124
Known user

Post by sonic124 »

Electric Prunes Mass In F Minor - Always written off because it is often thought the prunes dont play on it (wrong 3/5ths of the line up play on all the songs and side 1 features all the prunes!) some excellent psych guitar playing/ feedback and chants etc in a very garage style and pisses all over the release of an oath lp which features no prunes and for me sounds like a load of session musicians ie souless (though im sure theres loads of great albums which feature just session musicians!)
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

the rather irresistable 'Where Did Our Love Go?' cover?
It's a nice little cover version isn't it? It's Tainted Love MK2 - it's got almost identical electro samples.

That is a great cover of that song, as is 'Tainted Love'. The 12'' version, you know the one that goes 'Tainted Love > Where Did Our Love Go?' is quality.
What more can the heart of a man desire?
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

The Jig wrote:
the rather irresistable 'Where Did Our Love Go?' cover?
It's a nice little cover version isn't it? It's Tainted Love MK2 - it's got almost identical electro samples.

That is a great cover of that song, as is 'Tainted Love'. The 12'' version, you know the one that goes 'Tainted Love > Where Did Our Love Go?' is quality.
Agreed, Jig.

I have it on 7".

Look what I found on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw6gJPTnG5w
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

ah! I used to have that too..
I'd forgotten

I love youtube.
I love that there is a whole bevy of folks who upload movies of their stereos in order to share music.
such as, the Vinyl Junkie:
http://www.youtube.com/user/vinyljunkie1960
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Fuzzhead wrote:I don't really care whether albums are deemed underrated or not, I only care if I like it. I'm struggling to find anything because of this. However, I'll plump for:

Non Stop Erotic Cabaret - Soft Cell. This band don't seem to be taken seriously. I don't know why. Granted, they're not as edgy as other synth groups like Suicide or Cabaret Voltaire etc, but it's great pop music. That's what it's all about. Who cares if they're not cool? Fuck that! I love this album.
That really sums up this thread to an extent - I'd much rather hear the opinions of people round here than the 'professional' critics anytime. Some great choices here!
The Jig wrote: 'America Eats Its Young' is not essential Funkadelic, the first 3 albums plus 'Standing On.....' are.
Well Jig i'd have to respectfully disagree, I believe America Eats It's Young is not only essential Funkadelic, its essential full stop! Its as good as the first three albums. To me anyway.

But...haven't heard Standing On The Verge... so will be looking to get that one, cheers!
twentysixdollars wrote:
And, Bza, although I was the one who brought it up, I Want You better than What's Going On? An unfairly-maligned, smooth-flowing lite soul/disco record with three fake orgasms better than one of the Greatest and most Important pop records ever made? IWY isn't even Marvin's vocal peak - that's either on Let's Get It On or Here My Dear (which I might have been tempted to include in my last had I compiled it five years ago...)
Three fake orgasms? :D

Not sure about the 'Most Important' bit - unless in the sense it was Marvin breaking away from the pop idol mould and Berry Gordy and doing what he wanted to do.

Don't get me wrong, I like What's Goin On but over familiarity has maybe dulled it a little. And 'Save The Children' is awful. To be honest I really only like a few of the tracks a great deal. I Want You, at this point in my life, just edges it.

Trouble Man beats them all though!

Good to see the shouts for Evil Heat.

And I should mention Give Out But Don't Give Up as it was panned for not being Screamadelica part 2 or it was claimed it was a rock parody album. All sorts of shit has been written about it, at times by people who probably haven't even listened to it. You know, the kind of person that does Amazon music reviews...

Anyway, its a glorious album. You get rockers, ballads and P-funk style madness all jostling around on it, some great tunes, refreshing...
O P 8
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

BzaInSpace wrote:What about the Beatles - the bastards that they are. Let It Be is often seen as the crappy last ditch album but I really like it. Spectorized and all. I mainly like it for the off the cuff tunes, not the 'Long & Winding Road' stuff.
I'm there for 'Two Of Us', 'Dig a Pony', 'Dig It'...even 'Maggie Mae'. Nice one. Maybe through familiarity this but I defy the critics and say - it's better than Revolver.

*ducks for cover*
For the record Let It Be was not the last Beatles album, that was Abbey Road. It just happened to be the last one released, once Phil Spector had found the best floor cuttings he could transform into a decent album. Personally I prefer the Spector version, but I think Paul McCartney deserves credit for stripping back that production and making the 'Naked' version, though I do think it exposes the weaker points of the tunes chosen...interesting nevertheless, and as a Beatles fan it's nice to have both.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
MUFCSPACEMAN
Known user

Post by MUFCSPACEMAN »

Last edited by MUFCSPACEMAN on Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
olliemorr
Known user

Post by olliemorr »

Sonny Munns wrote: Jesus and Mary Chain's Munki. How could I forget this! I'm a rabid JAMC fan, always have been always will, but Munki is genius! Maybe even stronger today than ever and IMO is as important as Psychocandy, yeah i said it, Woah!
Yes.
noOne
Known user

Post by noOne »

olliemorr wrote:
Sonny Munns wrote: Jesus and Mary Chain's Munki. How could I forget this! I'm a rabid JAMC fan, always have been always will, but Munki is genius! Maybe even stronger today than ever and IMO is as important as Psychocandy, yeah i said it, Woah!
Yes.
Double Yes.
Munki is a fantastic album.

my album pick for this thread is
Soundgarden_ Louder Than Love

i've loved this album since it's release and i saw them on tour for this album. straight up Zepplin meets Sabbath stoney goodness. and still way better than the majority of the bands you hear today that are trying to emulate that sound.
Lord Please Fuck My Mind For Good
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

MUFCSPACEMAN wrote: I've listened, and it's rank. Never mind "Screamadelica", I'll take "Sonic Flower Groove" over GOBDGU anyday.
Yeah, but in the spirit of what's this thread is about I think your totally wrong on Give Out... , I think its actually better than a lot of the albums it may or may not have mined as influence.
But fuck it man. At least you listened.

mojo filters wrote:
BzaInSpace wrote:What about the Beatles - the bastards that they are. Let It Be is often seen as the crappy last ditch album but I really like it...

For the record Let It Be was not the last Beatles album, that was Abbey Road. It just happened to be the last one released, once Phil Spector had found the best floor cuttings he could transform into a decent album. Personally I prefer the Spector version, but I think Paul McCartney deserves credit for stripping back that production and making the 'Naked' version, though I do think it exposes the weaker points of the tunes chosen...interesting nevertheless, and as a Beatles fan it's nice to have both.

I said last ditch...not last. And McCartney was just lining the pockets of the Beatles Brand once more with the 'Naked' thing. Or possibly trying to antagonize Spector. Hey Mojo, it was good to have 'Don't Let Me Down' on there but what about the not-really-accidental chatter on there...all wiped. Excised. Erased from history!
O P 8
Zenchan
Known user

Post by Zenchan »

Another vote for Evil Heat by Primal Scream. And, while this has often caused many an argument on here before, I consider Amazing Grace to be Spiritualized's second best album!

My own entry for this thread would be Six by Mansun. An incredible sprawling prog epic that was sadly completely out of it's time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_%28album%29
Last edited by Zenchan on Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zenchan
Known user

Post by Zenchan »

BzaInSpace wrote:And I should mention Give Out But Don't Give Up . . . Anyway, its a glorious album. You get rockers, ballads and P-funk style madness all jostling around on it, some great tunes, refreshing...
It's total gash, though :wink:
MUFCSPACEMAN
Known user

Post by MUFCSPACEMAN »

Last edited by MUFCSPACEMAN on Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

With the little bit of UNKLE talk on another thread, i wanna nominate Psyence Fiction- seen as a vanity project by most, but i fuckin' love it.

As for some of the other choicse- yeah, Get Ready isn't bad, not worthy of all the flak thrown at it. I also like the better songs on Evil Heat, but overall it's pretty patchy.
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

[quote="angelsighs"]With the little bit of UNKLE talk on another thread, i wanna nominate Psyence Fiction- seen as a vanity project by most, but i fuckin' love it.

this is a great album, it never seemed to generate much interest though.

me.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

twentysixdollars wrote:This is a thread for famous albums that are almost universally regarded as terrible that you think have (preferably considerable) merit.

Does this one match the criteria ?

Pink Floyd ~ 'Animals'

Of all their albums during the 70's, 'Animals' may be the biggest underrated album of them all. If you're a Floyd fan then it's likely it won't be. Five tracks, 2 very short ones and 3 over 10 minutes sandwiched in-between, make it the least accessible one commercially. Not radio friendly at all when it was released and perhaps that's why it didn't do as well as the previous releases. But 'Animals' is an exceptional Floyd album. Lyrically grim and dark at times, cynical and defiant throughout then mixed with some of Gilmour's best ever guitar work and you get one of Floyd's best, and most guitar driven, albums.