Kate Radley

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Fuzzhead
Known user

Kate Radley

Post by Fuzzhead »

What's the point?

I find it really funny that she was part of Spiritualized.

She has no merit, apart from being the lead singer's girlfriend. Pretty cringe-worthy in hindsight.

Sorry - I was just looking at the Let It Flow single and her face was glaring at me - couldn't help that little rant.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

What!!! I was expecting a Would you or Wouldn't you pole.

Sorry, that was after reading the Britains Favourite View thread
Shoulders back, smash it
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

I reckon it would be a pretty unanimous pole, Elektronik.

Still, that's no excuse to stick her in a band.
MUFCSPACEMAN
Known user

Post by MUFCSPACEMAN »

Last edited by MUFCSPACEMAN on Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

She was a cutie. They disappeared very quickly though. I didn't mind a couple of the singles at the time.

It was JJ72 MUFC! JJ71 were the tribute band.
chemirocha
New user

Post by chemirocha »

I think there was debate here a while ago in which it was conclusively decided that idiotic anti-kate discussion was pretty over. There is no way such attention would be paid to a male band member. That a musician - a fucking organ player - doesn't go crazy displaying their musical prowess is to be commended rather than mocked. Someone sliding up and down the keyboard is no fun for anyone not touching the organ.

I'd take the organ on the Spiritualized records with Kate; live versions of All of My Tears, LGM, over the busier, recent stuff. They sound nicer. If people want to inflict further biographical bullshit and revoke any credit from Kate, fine, but it stinks of dumb male behaviour to me.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

She did have a lot of vocal parts (let us not forget "200 Bars"!) that added a lot of very pretty, smooth qualities to a lot of the earlier songs. I'm pretty sure that she's on at least 2/3 of LAGWAFIS.

...and also, a beacon of inspiration :?:
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

she was perfect for the band at the time. did the right amount of keyboards in the right time and place.

however, ive never really liked the live version of spiritualized with thighpaulsandra. just thought everything suddenly got a bit too complicated.

but with radley, it was some simple organ playing, that suited everything at the time., she also played bass on the first 3 ladies and gents dates, to allow mr cook to play harmonica.
jack white
Known user

Re: Kate Radley

Post by jack white »

Fuzzhead wrote: She has no merit, apart from being the lead singer's girlfriend. Pretty cringe-worthy in hindsight.
i disagree. her being the lead singer's girlfriend is a better, funnier reason for her in the band than were she just a good/pretty good/great keyboardist. if there wasn't that aspect to the band they'd be a little less mythical, or whatever. it's a nice little necessary element for the rock n' roll story of the band. if they were all faceless, nondescript players, it'd be a wee bit more boring.
stories and imperfections are better.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

I agree about the live sound of the band. Compare the 120 minutes session with any Thighp era bootlegs.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

jack white wrote:
Fuzzhead wrote: She has no merit, apart from being the lead singer's girlfriend. Pretty cringe-worthy in hindsight.
i disagree. her being the lead singer's girlfriend is a better, funnier reason for her in the band than were she just a good/pretty good/great keyboardist. if there wasn't that aspect to the band they'd be a little less mythical, or whatever. it's a nice little necessary element for the rock n' roll story of the band. if they were all faceless, nondescript players, it'd be a wee bit more boring.
stories and imperfections are better.
Actually I agree too. Why the hell should a rock band conform to some normal rules of employment?! Doing excatly what you feel like is a part of it... isn't it?! Hell, if I'd ever had a band my first choice would have been my dearly departed iguana (he never did share my taste in music tho').

Seriously though, I don't prescribe to an elitist view of music and musicianship. Various cultures have for centuries made music in groups consisting of their families and tribes. It is perfectly normal in all sorts of genres of music (trad, folk, flamenco, gypsy). I think it's the modern idea of a band that is unnatural and manufactured.
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

chemirocha wrote:I think there was debate here a while ago in which it was conclusively decided that idiotic anti-kate discussion was pretty over. There is no way such attention would be paid to a male band member. That a musician - a fucking organ player - doesn't go crazy displaying their musical prowess is to be commended rather than mocked. Someone sliding up and down the keyboard is no fun for anyone not touching the organ.

I'd take the organ on the Spiritualized records with Kate; live versions of All of My Tears, LGM, over the busier, recent stuff. They sound nicer. If people want to inflict further biographical bullshit and revoke any credit from Kate, fine, but it stinks of dumb male behaviour to me.
Couldn't have put it any better. And, having heard Thighpaulsandra's solo albums, I can also add that there's something to be said for unassuming marginality.
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

hey now!! we have a one fingered female keyboard player that sings back up AND WE LOVE HER!!!

i'd never swap her for a thighpaul, BUT i'm not opposed to his playing either. he has his moments.

i'm really shocked somebody took a dig at Kate, i've always thought she was wonderful.

me.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

I'm also thinking, didn't Fuzzhead post something in the Black Angels thread (maybe I'm being presumptuous thinking he likes them)?
Another band with a keyboard player (also female) who adds layers without being elaborate...
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

Fuzzhead wrote:What's the point?

She has no merit, apart from being the lead singer's girlfriend. Pretty cringe-worthy in hindsight.

Sorry - I was just looking at the Let It Flow single and her face was glaring at me - couldn't help that little rant.
the bez of spirtiualized? shakes her merackers :wink:
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Looks like I'm alone on this one.

I reckon my dislike of Kate Radley stems from a feeling I have that she helped split Spacemen 3 up in some small way. It's probably a misguided Yoko-esque belief but there you have it. It always nags me.

Jack White, I thought you (and Meg) would be interested in this one! :wink:

Just for the record, I really don't like Thighpaulsandra's keyboards either. They don't move me at all.

I was questioning the merit of giving someone a place in a band - just beacuse they're your current partner. I'm being fussy I know. Just a random thought I had.

I'd rather listen to early Spiritualized recordings than the more recent shows - but that's not because of Kate Radley's performance.

Sunny, yeah, I like the Black Angels. I don't have a vendetta against bands with female keyboard players.
MUFCSPACEMAN
Known user

Post by MUFCSPACEMAN »

Last edited by MUFCSPACEMAN on Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

MUFCSPACEMAN wrote:I'll vouch for Fuzzy, he's no boy's-club knuckle dragger.
If anyone thinks that's the intent in my message, it isn't. That kind of a feeling couldn't be further from the truth.

I'm just not moved by Kate Radley.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Ah come on, think of that interview with J Spaceman who credits Kate with persuading him to start Spiritualized itself.

The Kate keys style is still being used to this day, how about the end of 'Don't just do something' for example.

And sometimes...less is more.
O P 8
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

BzaInSpace wrote:Ah come on, think of that interview with J Spaceman who credits Kate with persuading him to start Spiritualized itself.
In that case I guess I'm indebted to her. Now my soul has been Radleyized.
MUFCSPACEMAN
Known user

Post by MUFCSPACEMAN »

Last edited by MUFCSPACEMAN on Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sonny Munns
Known user

Post by Sonny Munns »

Maybe Kate's simple style was all that Jason would allow.

I'm sure Jason also wanted to change things up somewhat once she was out of the picture with Thighpaulsandra's more elaborate style as the band was evolving.

Personally I like both player, but lean toward Kate for her understatedness.

Oh, and +1 on the 120 Minutes session footage! Still maybe my favorite live performance!
talking about music is like dancing about architecture
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

chemirocha wrote:Someone sliding up and down the keyboard is no fun for anyone not touching the organ.

I'd take the organ on the Spiritualized records with Kate; live
Wearing my Viz helmet as a native of the Toon, this was too good to pass over.

Kate's welcome to come and touch my organ anytime, even if she doesn't think it's fun :?
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

i like kate for one reason...if not for her we wouldn't (probabaly) have ladies and gentlemen...
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

Fuzzhead wrote:I reckon it would be a pretty unanimous pole, Elektronik.

Still, that's no excuse to stick her in a band.
I think the connections all to do with the simple forehead to chin measurement.

I don't think the highest show on earth was the record-breaker...I think they were after the illustrious longest combined faces in pop.

Anyone shed any light on this....Ian?

Sean Cook = approx. 8", Jason Pierce = approx. 9" and Kate Radley = she must be packin' close to a foot.

On the subject of this n that...Ashcroft is packing a lengthy face too...combine that with neck length (yeah...he's got plenty of that) and he's onto a winner.

All four of the forementioned also look like they have been through varying degrees of facial flattening;
Sean Cook - tends to concentrate on the sides of the face, possibly still yearning for those cheekbones, he does sometimes mess about with his nose as if he wants to lead the viewer upwardly through the composition that is his face. Unfortunately he loses points for forgetting to flatten his hair...making him look like a parody of the guy from the Fratellis. Good Attempt 6.5/10
Jason Pierce/Kate Radley - both similar techniques; i think they use the rowentta method...quite severe, not for the faint-hearted but quick results. Involves a cool iron...point down towards your chin...and 5x 6cm thrusts into the face. The only slight downside in this method is a slight upturn in chin structure. Occasionally eyes will become more apparent...hence the shades in daylight method. Excellent Effort 8.5/10
Richard Ashcroft - uses a controversial approach; a long-term method...devised in the US of A...by Max Sphincter. This involves living with your head firmly in your ass. It's controversial mainly due to the fact that you will look like a 'butchers pencil' as food can't get in and can't get out...althought many environmentally aware people have championed the fact that it almost rids the world of waste.
For Suckin' it Up 9.5/10

bollocks

I REPEAT THIS ISN'T A BREAK-UP ALBUM
Shoulders back, smash it
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

You're all jealous!
I heard she was dating Noel Gallagher as of late...
davey
Known user

Post by davey »

andyblacktoo wrote:she was perfect for the band at the time. did the right amount of keyboards in the right time and place.

however, ive never really liked the live version of spiritualized with thighpaulsandra. just thought everything suddenly got a bit too complicated.

but with radley, it was some simple organ playing, that suited everything at the time., she also played bass on the first 3 ladies and gents dates, to allow mr cook to play harmonica.
Why the fuck is he called THIGHPAULSANDRA anyway? There must be some meaning to it. If its just a randomly picked stage name then its a crap one!
Already There
Known user

Re:

Post by Already There »

I get your point. But then again - I like the way she plays. And why should she not play for the band? Bands are not always about getting the best keyboard player to play in your band...
chemirocha wrote:I think there was debate here a while ago in which it was conclusively decided that idiotic anti-kate discussion was pretty over. There is no way such attention would be paid to a male band member. That a musician - a fucking organ player - doesn't go crazy displaying their musical prowess is to be commended rather than mocked. Someone sliding up and down the keyboard is no fun for anyone not touching the organ.

Totally agree. I guess another problem is that she was Jason's girlfriend. If she had not been his girlfriend, I guess people wouldn't bring that up either.
BzaInSpace wrote:Ah come on, think of that interview with J Spaceman who credits Kate with persuading him to start Spiritualized itself.

The Kate keys style is still being used to this day, how about the end of 'Don't just do something' for example.

And sometimes...less is more.
Yeah, that's also the reason why I like it. Think I'm In Love just has really great keyboard parts, although they are terribly minimalistic. :D
W: What are we supposed to do with that?
M: Eat it.
W: Eat it? Fucker’s alive.
M: Yeah, you’ve got to kill it.
W: Me? I’m the firelighter and fuel collector.

Gigs 2010: http://www.last.fm/user/Colin_in_Mexico/events/2010
Already There
Known user

Re:

Post by Already There »

bunnyben wrote:

the bez of spirtiualized? shakes her merackers :wink:
:lol: That just made me laugh out loud. Haha. Bez...
Fuzzhead wrote:Looks like I'm alone on this one.

I reckon my dislike of Kate Radley stems from a feeling I have that she helped split Spacemen 3 up in some small way. It's probably a misguided Yoko-esque belief but there you have it. It always nags me.
Yeah, it's difficult to draw the line there. I tend to get it mixed up with the personal background of band members myself. But I think she didn't really do that much to split up the band. It's not that I doubt her influence on the band's stability, it just doesn't seem as if it was mainly her fault. Yeah, I guess it was partly her fault because she existed, but... And well, if a different member of the band doesn't feel too comfortable about her for whatever reasons it still isn't her fault, is it?
W: What are we supposed to do with that?
M: Eat it.
W: Eat it? Fucker’s alive.
M: Yeah, you’ve got to kill it.
W: Me? I’m the firelighter and fuel collector.

Gigs 2010: http://www.last.fm/user/Colin_in_Mexico/events/2010