"Mister Lonely"

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

veiko
Known user

"Mister Lonely"

Post by veiko »

Harmony Korine introduces 'Mister Lonely' (2007) for its premiere at the 60th Annual Cannes Film Festival in May of 2007.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m0DsvpZId8

spot on Jason himself, he is also on the stage, just in the middle of the filmcrew is a man in a white shirt and say least it's a very familiar looking. so, yes, seems that it's Jase starting from 0.35 in the middle of the screen. good one.
veiko
Known user

Re: "Mister Lonely"

Post by veiko »

sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

I saw the film last night at the London Film festival. It was kind of a disorienting experience... I had just returned home from a tour in Europe and noticed the festival was in full effect. So on a whim I decided to go down to the cinema on the off chance of getting a return ticket. I was sort of in a dishevelled and totally unflattering state...:lol:
When me and my flat mate got there it turned out it was a red carpet event and that Harmony Korine and some of the cast were there. All this totally caught me by surprise and was not at all the quiet, solitary cinema experience I had expected. Anyway, it did turn out to be fun. Jason was there and was called up on stage (as was the cast and producers) during Mr Korine's opening speech.

The film I loved. I thought it was beautiful, thoughtful and emotional (but not soppy). Some parts were unpleasant to watch too (the Charlie Chaplin Impersonator charachter in particular) but extremely well portrayed and acted. Soundtrack of course was great and melted perfectly with both context and visuals...

There was a question and answer section at the end too, which was very interesting. Makes me wish I had a ticket for Mr Korine's Screen Talk at the NFT tomorrow...

So all in all a good night out, but I wish I'd washed my hair! :lol:

On a side note I was devastated to find out that a Guy Maddin film has been screened in my abscence. Fuck! :x
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
G*
Known user

Post by G* »

Anyone heard anything about the soundtrack getting a release?
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

G* wrote:Anyone heard anything about the soundtrack getting a release?
nope. but what i think i recognized was about 2 songs that sounded like Jason's. they sounded like LGM kind of area. credits in the end of ML did not note him at all.

for me Denis Lavant as the Chaplin impersonator was fantastic. i assume that you too, sunny, realized that he was not meant to be pleasent. his character is absolutly fantastic. (you must have seen Lavant in Carax' movies?? surely you enjoyed "Lovers on the Pont Neuf"? his flexibility is amazing. mentally that is also.)
i was expecting much more from Samantha Morton.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

veiko wrote:
G* wrote:Anyone heard anything about the soundtrack getting a release?
for me Denis Lavant as the Chaplin impersonator was fantastic. i assume that you too, sunny, realized that he was not meant to be pleasent. his character is absolutly fantastic. (you must have seen Lavant in Carax' movies?? surely you enjoyed "Lovers on the Pont Neuf"? his flexibility is amazing. mentally that is also.)
Haha, yes of course- it's to his credit that he affected me to such a degree! I'm usually quite cynical about a lot of acting...even performances that are considered great I often find a load of crap. But I thought he was very convincing. So much so that I didn't even dare to look at him on the way out of the cinema. I caught myself confusing him with his film charachter and wanting to stay the hell away from him. :lol:

By the way, I'm sure I saw Jason mentioned in the 'thanks section' or somewhere like that in the credits.
ABOCA
Known user

Post by ABOCA »

The credits at the end of the print I saw at the NFT last night stated "Music By Jason Spaceman & The Sun City Girls". Presumably seperately. There was no mention of any available soundtrack, but maybe there will be when the film gets a full release in early 2008.
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

Here's a link to the Mister Lonely press kit
http://www.filmpressplus.com/medias/KOR ... nglish.pdf

For those who can't be bothered wading through the waffle:
MUSIC
The music was a combination of score and source. The Spaceman 3 are one of my all-time favorite bands so I asked Jason Spaceman to make some music for the film and he obliged. I had also been speaking to The Sun City Girls for several years about working together. They live in their own world and I love it. Iris DeMent’s voice just cuts to my heart. It breaks down walls and shakes the branches of trees. I had always loved her song, «My Life. There’s something very special about it.
sunny
Site Admin

Attention Londoners: "Mister Lonely" at ICA

Post by sunny »

Attention Londoners "Mister Lonely" is showing at the ICA 4pm Feb 24th! I'm going for a second helping.

http://www.ica.org.uk/cinematICA%20prev ... +15891.twl
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/n ... soundtrack

What's more, the soundtrack to the upcoming Harmony Korine movie Mister Lonely, which features music by Spaceman and the Sun City Girls, now has a tracklist and release details. The soundtrack is scheduled for an April 22 release on Drag City, but the film will hit theaters at the end of March.

Mister Lonely OST:

01 "Michael's Opening" (dialogue)
02 Jason Spaceman: "Blues 1"
03 Jason Spaceman: "Blues 2 (Intro)"
04 Sun City Girls: "3D Girls"
05 Jason Spaceman: "Panama 1"
06 Sun City Girls: "Spook"
07 Jason Spaceman: "Garden Walk"
08 Sun City Girls: "Steppe Spiritual"
09 Jason Spaceman: "Pope in the Bath"
10 "Nun's Prayer" (dialogue)
11 Sun City Girls: "Mr. Lonely Viola"
12 Sun City Girls: "Beryl Scepter"
13 "Red Riding Hood's Hangman" (dialogue)
14 Jason Spaceman: "Stooges Harmonica"
15 "Father Umbrillo's Broken Nation"
16 Jason Spaceman: "Musicbox Underwater"
17 Sun City Girls: "Circus Theme"
18 Sun City Girls: "Vine Street Piano"
19 Jason Spaceman: "Paris Beach"
20 Sun City Girls: "Farewell"
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Jebus Sabes wrote:

14 Jason Spaceman: "Stooges Harmonica"
That sounds fantastic!
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

Oh my, our Jase is certainly being very prolific these days, isn't he?
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

http://www.countytimes.co.uk/latest-ent ... 3859214.jp

British actress Samantha Morton suffered a debilitating stroke that kept her out of the limelight for 18 months, she has revealed.

Morton said she was helped back to health by Spiritualized singer Jason Pierce - who had just got over pneumonia - and his girlfriend Juliette Larche.

"Their friendship knows no bounds," Morton told the Observer. "He was the only person I knew who understood what that was like, being near to death."
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

This all sounds very fantastic.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Jebus Sabes wrote:http://www.countytimes.co.uk/latest-ent ... 3859214.jp

British actress Samantha Morton suffered a debilitating stroke that kept her out of the limelight for 18 months, she has revealed.
:shock: god, she looks horrible!
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

I saw this over someones shoulder this morning on the tube. Amazing story!
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

lifted from the Drag city website. Theres also a pic of the cover.

Gummo fans, wake up! The whores have all gone and the house is on fire! And meanwhile, it's been years since your hero, Harmony Korine, has made a new movie for you to help you live your life. That's all going to change this spring when Mister Lonely comes out — the first Korine opus since Julien Donkey-Boy way back in 1999. The picture's something of a change of pace, but as always, there's eye-candy galore (or is it eye-gore aplenty?) and lots of wild performances by actors both known and unknown. Added to the fun this time is a soundtrack from J. Spaceman and Sun City Girls, who, independently of each other, scored the sounds inside the director's head for Mister Lonely. It a wonderfully spaced-out score, colorful and tuneful without ever really approaching the standards we call 'song.' Prepare yourself for an earburst and get ready to choose formats when the LP and CD versions of Mister Lonely hit in late April.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

Having a stroke is pretty major, I'm so glad she's O.K! Can't think of a more scary thing really.

I once had a measly Hemi Plegic migraine attack where half my face, upper body and tongue got paralyzed. Had to be rushed to emergency because it was diagnosed as a stroke. I was told to get there as quick as possible because of more brain cells dying the more I waited... then the ambulance took 40 min to get here. Both my ex and flat mate totally crumbled emotionally and I had to try and organize everyone whilst I thought I was dying. Very surreal... but not all that term serious as it turned out. But I think that in very serious illness, grief or other traumatic events the best people to have around you are ones with similar experiences and who know when to be strong and/or weak. I found my own family and boyfriend unbearably suffocating during the after phase when I was going through endless neurological tests, MRI 's and scans.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

sunny wrote:I found my own family and boyfriend unbearably suffocating during the after phase when I was going through endless neurological tests, MRI 's and scans.
That's a shame; I'd imagine they were probably in the midst of a helpless helpful phase, not knowing what to do/say and therefore filling the air/time with anything, anything.
My ol' man suffers from that a bit which thankfully over the years I've come to understand as "just his way" and I've inherited his "troubleshooting aloud=solved problems" to some extent.
My Mum is a pillar of strength and i've got her ability to leave all emotions at the door as well.

:roll: Dunno where that came from...do i get the job?

Anyway, like ro, I see the extent of her condition was quite severe and good on the Spaceman family for extending the hand to Samantha Damon...I mean Morton. :arrow:
Shoulders back, smash it
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

"Their friendship knows no bounds," Morton told the Observer. "He was the only person I knew who understood what that was like, being near to death."

Jase you're amazing. you really can choose good people around you. she is so lovely. i hope she will recover even faster with a little help from a friend.
was i already saying that she is lovely. ok, then, she is. lovely. yes. lovely echo also. merci.
estee
Known user

Post by estee »

has anybody managed to see this film yet ? I cant find any details of where the film is being shown. it was released on the 14th march. none of the independant cinemas in bristol are showing at the moment
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

Found this (and as far as i can tell it's not been posted here already)

http://www.misterlonely.co.uk/
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
estee
Known user

Post by estee »

according to amazon.co.uk the release date for the soundtrack is the 21st April

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mister-Lonely-O ... 612&sr=8-1
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

According to Harmony Korine's website:

"September 28, 2008

Mister Lonely is currently on DVD in Australia, where it was released on July 16. The Australian release features as extras the film's trailer, forty-minutes of deleted scenes and a ten-minute documentary on the production. The UK DVD, originally scheduled for release on July 28, has been delayed due to the collapse of Tartan UK. No release date for that region is currently known. Mister Lonely came out on DVD in Japan on August 8. It is not known what extras feature on the Japanese DVD. In Canada the film was released on DVD earlier this month, on September 16, and in the US the DVD is scheduled to be released on November 18, with Amazon currently taking pre-orders here: http://www.amazon.com/Mister-Lonely-Die ... 001DJ7PQY/ "

So has anyone picked this up yet?
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

This film is on over the holidays. Flim4, 27th Dec.
What more can the heart of a man desire?
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

ha, the jig beats me to this news by 10 days. (btw, i don't have audio-only paris 92, just vhs unfortunately. i do have to track down a cd boot, been meaning to for a long while now, so when i do i'll keep you in mind.)

so this is just a reminded that Mister Lonely is showing on film four at 1.05am tonight.

too late for me unfortunately (i'm such a bore, i know - but i also don't have film four in my bedroom, which is the real factor). does 40D do filmfour... er, films? i'll have to check that out.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I got the DVD for Christmas from my sister. I'm excited to watch it!
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Pictures of Jason at the Cannes premier (taken from harmony-korine.com):

It's funny to see these pictures. I can't imagine Jason being much of a "schmoozer."
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Channel 4 r showing Mister Lonely at 1:10am 2night..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

toomilk wrote:Pictures of Jason at the Cannes premier (taken from harmony-korine.com):

It's funny to see these pictures. I can't imagine Jason being much of a "schmoozer."
:lol: Those are awesome.

I liked the film.
W: What are we supposed to do with that?
M: Eat it.
W: Eat it? Fucker’s alive.
M: Yeah, you’ve got to kill it.
W: Me? I’m the firelighter and fuel collector.

Gigs 2010: http://www.last.fm/user/Colin_in_Mexico/events/2010
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

jack white wrote:Channel 4 r showing Mister Lonely at 1:10am 2night..
Thanks for the heads up on this. :D
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.