Japanese Music

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

MODLAB
Site Admin

Japanese Music

Post by MODLAB »

I don't know if anyone else is into japanese bands.

here is a top 100 list.

http://neojaponisme.com/2007/11/09/100- ... ck-albums/

I own about 15 in this list. some great stuff.

Best,

M
Design.
olliemorr
Known user

Re: Japanese Music

Post by olliemorr »

sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Went to see Acid Mothers Temple on Wednesday night, excellent stuff. Saw them a few years ago when they split the gig into 3 parts:droning guitar by Kawaboto,ambient electronic noodlings & then a full band performance. Wednesday was full on heavy psychedelic guitars from the off, kinda like a proggy Bardo Pond at times,including a 30 minute version of Pink Lady Lemonade. Do yourselves a favour & go see them if you get a chance.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Ahh the acid mother temples are great! saw them at ATP few years back.
cornelius is also great in concert.

M
Design.
sonic_b00m
New user

Post by sonic_b00m »

Up-Tight
that it all, check them the fuck out!
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

So I have to put forward my own 'boss' here, the artist I'm working with and also my own personal hero and mentor- Keiji Haino (and his band Fushitsusha). He's quite simply the best musician and human being that I've ever met... :D I'm lucky to be working with my biggest idol.
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

wow! sunny. i hope it all works out. i like his stuff.
especially the swirly psychedelia stuff. what direction
will you guys be going in?

Best,
M
Design.
thinline
Known user

Post by thinline »

I duno if he's to everyones taste but i really like Akira Yamaoka. He's really great I think
Hey man there's a hole in my reason that I gotta close...
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

MODLAB wrote:wow! sunny. i hope it all works out. i like his stuff.
especially the swirly psychedelia stuff. what direction
will you guys be going in?

Best,
M

I'm tech-ing for him when he tours outside of Japan.
Physically, his next direction will be Holland, in February.
Musically, he's going in many directions at once. His live solo stuff is a combination of 4-5 sections, which he divides between guitar (spacy, washy kind of sound), electronics (extremely noisy and dynamic), heavy vocal (shouting and screaming in a totally insane manner) + soft vocal (choir boy type singing) and acoustic custom made 'guitar' thingy (more earthy, bluesy type vibe).
He also has the various bands- 'Fushitsusha' being the rock/psychedelic stuff. He plays medieval music too and hurdy gurdy, so there is a huge selection of styles and types of music he's doing at the moment...I'm not getting bored any time soon. :D
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

sunny if you come to germany please PM me and I hope to make it.
Sounds great!

Best,

Mark
Design.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

MODLAB wrote:sunny if you come to germany please PM me and I hope to make it.
Sounds great!

Best,

Mark
OK sure, we seem to be in Germany quite a bit so it's likely to happen sooner rather than later. It would be nice to meet you! :D
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

It would be nice to meet you!

Likewise! :D

Best,

Mark
Design.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

For anyone who might be in Ireland around these dates:

Ruins and Acid Mothers Temple in Whelans, Dublin Tues.29th April. 16 Euros.
This is going under the banner of "New Japanese Music Festival",there will be solo performances and collaborations the night ending with Acid Mothers aided and abetted by Ruins who are/is a solo act at the moment. Also....

Melt Banana in Crawdaddy, Dublin Friday 20th June. 17.50 Euros. Can't wait for this one.

Enjoy.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

sunray wrote:For anyone who might be in Ireland around these dates:

This is going under the banner of "New Japanese Music Festival",there will be solo performances and collaborations the night ending with Acid Mothers aided and abetted by Ruins who are/is a solo act at the moment. Also....

Melt Banana in Crawdaddy, Dublin Friday 20th June. 17.50 Euros. Can't wait for this one.

Enjoy.

Yoshida Tatsuya from Ruins is an amazing musician and drummer... Ruins are great! I've seen another band of his too 'Koenjihyakkei' at the Knitting Factory, N.Y. It was some of the weirdest music I've ever heard...I'm sure it will be an experience!
A review, please?!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

sunny wrote:
sunray wrote:For anyone who might be in Ireland around these dates:

Enjoy.

Yoshida Tatsuya from Ruins is an amazing musician and drummer... Ruins are great! I've seen another band of his too 'Koenjihyakkei' at the Knitting Factory, N.Y. It was some of the weirdest music I've ever heard...I'm sure it will be an experience!
A review, please?!
If i make it to the gig I'll put something up for you, although reading the blurb about it i've a feeling trying to describe the sounds of this one could prove to be extremely difficult! :? :lol:
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Nice one for anyone in Dublin early December:

Damo Suzuki (ex Can) and Kawabata Makoto (Acid Mothers Temple) will be playing together in Crawdaddy on Tuesday 2nd December with some musicians from local outfits, tickets €12.50.

Should be a good 'un.
supershonn
Known user

Post by supershonn »

i would recommend anybody that can go to this, should go. you never know what it's gonna be. the show in san diego was really cool.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Here's a clip from the recent Dublin gig of Suzuki/Kawabata: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBeV-CRgM10.
The full gig can be found here: http://www.archive.org/details/DamoSuzu ... taDublin08 It may not be up the whole time though so check back later if not.
Gutted i missed this but i was in bed ill with some puking cold-type bug. :(
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Over a year old this thread now and nobody has mentioned them yet so i will, Les Rallizes Denudes kick ass.
What more can the heart of a man desire?
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

I went to see Kan Mikami the other night. He's more in the blues/folk genre- or so they say. I think that what he does is very unique and I'd say just really raw and almost animalistic. I'd highly recommend him!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdhvyraQ ... re=related

and here he is in Varja (together with Haino of course). It's an extremely short clip, sorry!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-VrpZZUJIE
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

No one's mentioned Kaoru Abe. Genius! He's dead now...had a very intense and tragic life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11dkb7t-yAk
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Volcanic Tongue wrote:
Hey everyone – just scored the out-of-nowhere CD reissues of legendary Japanese psych group Les Rallizes Denudes on Phoenix Records, restoring two classic sides, Heavier Than A Death In The Family and Blind Baby Has It’s Mothers Eyes. Needless to say, both are mandatory purchases.

Les Rallizes Denudes
Heavier Than A Death In The Family
Phoenix Records ASHCD-3037
CD
£11.99

First ever remotely-available CD edition of this classic album from the most mysterious and enigmatic Japanese underground group, Les Rallizes Denudes. Definitely the place to start for any Rallizes/Mizutani neophytes, Heavier Than A Death In The Family captures the monomaniacal quintessence of this amazing group, with simple two-note bass pulses propelling endless fuzz and space echo solos and delayed vocals through a fog of amplifier feedback. Features supremely ragged versions of a bunch of classic tracks: “People Can Choose”, “The Night Collectors”, “Enter The Mirror”, “Strung Out Deeper Than The Night”. One of the corner stones of the Japanese underground sound. Number 3 in Julian Cope’s Japrocksampler. Vinyl edition forthcoming. Numbered edition of 1000 copies. Highly recommended.

Les Rallizes Denudes
Blind Baby Has It’s Mothers Eyes
Phoenix Records ASHCD-3035
CD
£11.99

Another unlikely reissue of a classic side from this legendary Japanese psych rock group. Blind Baby Has Its Mother Eyes is one of the most outrageously fucked-up visions of psychedelic excess to escape the prodigious gravity of the Japanese underground. Consisting of three long tracks, this is Rallizes at their most strung-out and extended. At points Mizutani’s fuzz and space echo soloing obliterate the group entirely, giving the album a White Light/White Heat style intensity. At other points his six string sounds closer to interstellar interference or pure white noise, buzzing all over the group like a fleet of plugged-in wasps. The vocals are languorous and supremely wasted, just soaked in delay, while the group ride outrageously two-chord progressions straight into the sun. One of the best versions of their legendary show-closer, “The Last One”, too. Number twelve in Julian Cope’s Japrocksampler. Vinyl edition forthcoming. Numbered edition of 1000 copies. Highly recommended.

What more can the heart of a man desire?