Soul advice required

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

spektorama
New user

Soul advice required

Post by spektorama »

Hello there

Can anyone recommend a cool soul album in the vein of Curtis Mayfield Superfly. Something a bit funky. And what Staple Singers album would you recommend???
Many thanks
twentysixdollars
Known user

Re: Soul advice required

Post by twentysixdollars »

For question 1, try Marvin Gaye's Trouble Man.

For question 2, try a comprehensive Best-Of.
a beautiful shonn
Known user

Post by a beautiful shonn »

no no no, stay away from a best of collection of the staple singers. it's usually crammed with their output from the 1970's. it's miles away from their "spiritual" output of the 1950's-1960's.

i would highly recommend a collection called "Great Day" it's got about 25 or tracks on it and it's a great place to start.

also if you check your used bins under religious/spiritual you can usually find a staple singers album from the 1960's. most will have their version 'will the circle be unbroken'. i'd get one of those for a few bucks.

me.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I've got a great Staple Singers album on vinyl called "Amen!" I'd recommend that one.

Shonn, why do you keep changing your username?
a beautiful shonn
Known user

it goes with the multiple personalities i have. :wink:

just kidding, i keep misplacing the tidbits of paper with my password, username, height, weight, and home address. i need one of those wristbands with all my info on it!!

i couldn't even email the MODS in attempt for them to help out. it kept bouncing back, so sorry MODS!

and sorry to y'all for any confusion.

me.
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

Shonn - you should log out, and then click log in, and then click "I forgot my password". It will generate a new one and then you should be able to go back to being a beautiful noise.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

I half replied to this yesterday, only forgetting to hit submit after pre-view(ing) the post.

Anyway; I was told to head to the following thread http://ideensynthese.de/spiritualized/v ... ions#p9494

Enjoy
Shoulders back, smash it
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I was singing their praises on another thread, but Numero Group (http://numerogroup.com) have a lot of really great, obscure soul/funk stuff.

I would recommend their comp called Cult Cargo: Grand Bahama Goombay. It's all American Soul-influenced stuff from Bahamian groups.

http://numerogroup.com/catalog_detail.php?uid=00271
a beautiful shonn
Known user

twentysixdollars wrote:Shonn - you should log out, and then click log in, and then click "I forgot my password". It will generate a new one and then you should be able to go back to being a beautiful noise.

thanks, i honestly tried, i did the whole bit of "forget my password" but everytime the system (sorry, MODS) would send an email it would never accept the new password they sent me.

again, i do apologize if it's a burden on anyone.

me.