Dr. John Recommendation Request

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

ryandfl
Known user

Dr. John Recommendation Request

Post by ryandfl »

So I'm considering getting into Dr. John's back catalog, and I am particularly interested in what I've read of his early work, which has been characterized as "swampy" R&B with mostly unintelligible vocals. Anyway, Cop Shoot Cop is probably my 3rd or 4th favorite track Jason has ever put out, and I was wondering if anyone familiar with Dr. John's work might be able to offer some recommendations.

DO any of his albums utilize similar repetitive grooves as his piano tracking in Cop Shoot Cop? Where would you recommend I start? I'm into a lot of early 70's funk/new orleans/r&b tracks too, so it's not completely foreign territory--but any opinions would be great.

Thanks
sunny
Site Admin

Re: Dr. John Recommendation Request

Post by sunny »

Not sure about the piano similarity, but an obvious place to start is Gris-Gris. :D
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
))<>((
Known user

Post by ))<>(( »

hey ryan, i think you want the stuff he did with allen toussaint and the meters as his backing band. i got a great lp called 'i been hoodood', which is a selection of songs from two such albums, 'in the right place' and 'desitively bonnaroo'. all absolutely amazing stuff, maybe not the greatest vinyl pressing ever (could just be my copy, sounds slightly muffled). 'gris gris - the night tripper' is fantastic, but might not be exactly what you're looking for right now, it's much darker than this stuff. hope that helps.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Buy 'Gris Gris' Its amazing! Swampy, voodoo, lsd laced funk. The track on it called 'Danse Fambeaux' always reminds me of Spiritualized. Its just too good to live without it. Seriously!
buy it now
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

agreed. i'll add a recommendation for babylon too (now *there's* a vinyl i've played to death! :D )
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

simonkeeping wrote:Buy 'Gris Gris' Its amazing! Swampy, voodoo, lsd laced funk. The track on it called 'Danse Fambeaux' always reminds me of Spiritualized. Its just too good to live without it. Seriously!
buy it now
In fact I'm going to put it on now...As a matter of fact, I could stick 'Gris-Gris' in the most worn out album thread. :lol:
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

I'll third (or fourth) the recommendation of the "Gris-Gris"/"Night Tripper" material. OK, it's darker than the rest, but it's got the same voodoo vibe as Cop Shoot Cop, and is a fantastically heady intoxicating brew in it's own right.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Yep, gotta say 'Gris-Gris' as well. That should always be in those 'greatest albums of all time' lists but never is. Really dig the crazed sort-of-stereo production!

If you like it go i'd also go for 'Babylon', thats off-the-hook psychedelica as well...

'Sun, Moon And Herbs' might be a smoother hit. I'll shout )><('s call for 'In The Right Place' as its totally funky.
And there is always 'Anutha Zone' from 1998 that features Paul Weller, Beta Band, Jools Holland [probably] and two tunes featuring the Ladies & Gentlemen band AND produced by Spaceman...
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

i'll throw my .02 cents worth for In The Right Place, not for the hits, but for Cold Cold Cold.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)