whaddya know about these bands?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

brianbrian
Known user

whaddya know about these bands?

Post by brianbrian »

Acid Mothers Temple & The Cosmic Inferno (Japan)
Antietam
Bardo Pond
The Bevis Frond (England)
Black Forest / Black Sea
Damon and Naomi
Grails
Hush Arbors
Ignatz (Belgium)
The Insect Factory
Kinski
Sharron Kraus (England)
Linus Pauling Quartet
Major Stars
Marissa Nadler
Dead Maids (formerly The Monster Bastard Project) (England)
MONO (Japan)
Motorpsycho (Norway)
MV&EE with The Golden Road
Tanakh
Oneida
Tara Jane ONeil
Paik
Pantaleimon
Pelt
The Photographic
Plastic Crimewave Sound
Jack Rose
Sapat
Rob Sharples (England)
United Bible Studies (Ireland)
Windy & Carl
Wooden Shjips

all appearing at http://www.terrascope.co.uk/Terrastock7/main.htm

Louisville, KY, USA, June 19-22

I only know a few of them and found this fest searching for Wooden Shjips tour dates
ekewebb
Known user

Re: whaddya know about these bands?

Post by ekewebb »

I know that Pantaleimon have spelt their name wrong.

Otherwise nothing I'm afraid. I know the Wooden Shjips, but obviously you do too. I've heard of the Bevis Frond and have images in my head of an unsettlingly proggy type.
brianbrian
Known user

Post by brianbrian »

I've wanted to see Acid Mothers Temple for a long time but have always been away from home when they play within a few hundred miles.

Bevis Frond has been out there for - at least two decades now? I've never gone to see them either.

Motorpsycho is on a Danish or German label, I forget - Stickman Records, that also has 35007, a Dutch band I really like.

I have a copy of the first Wooden Shjips show but haven't picked up their studio releases yet; now that I'm probably going to this fest I'll probably just do it there. Don't think they have toured the US too much either, just some scattered West Coast shows around where they're from maybe?

A friend of mine in a 'doom' style band says he has heard of the Grails, so they must be somewhat heavy.

One the rest (Windy & Carl) I've seen on a few lists of live shows, but not many
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

MONO are a japanese postrock band very much in the mould of Explosions in the sky or mogwai's more stripped down stuff. the loud bits are very heavy.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Bardo Pond create heavy, textured, layered psychedelia. Very much centered around the Gibbons brothers guitars. They are as thick and as deep as the bong smoke that the music is created out of. That said, I would not qualify them as "stoner rock" (god, I hate that term). Their female vocalist murmers and coos more than sings and she also plays a flute. It all adds to the textured sound that they create. They have been recording music for ten+ years and have put out several professionally released albums as well as sell self-made/recorded jams on their own website. They are based in Philly, play there a lot but rarely venture out of the Northeastern shores of the USA. I've caught them twice and both times they blew me away. Nice guys too. All their albums are consistently good but 'Amanita' sits high on my list of best BP records.

Acid Mothers Temple are crazy beyond crazy. I've seen them live once and they were loud, hairy, and very wigged out. They played for about two hours and during that time probably only played five tunes! Their recorded output is too many to list (and also extremely hit or miss). I would recommend their 'La Novia' album as a starting point.

Bevis Frond is Nick Saloman...great heavy psych guitarist from the UK. He too has recorded loads of albums. Some are better than others but 'Miasma', 'Inner Marshland', 'Triptych' and 'New River Head' are certainly worth checking out. Saloman is/was behind Woronzow Records, Terrastock and I believe he has something to do with Ptolmaic Terrascope 'zine.

Hope this helps.

RC
John T Angle
Known user

Post by John T Angle »

Kinski make repetitive drone rock, not disimilar to early Spacemen 3. In fact, they covered a Spacemen track on one of their albums. They are good!

Marissa Nadler makes lovely, dark, gothic folk. Her voice is not dissimilar to Hope Sandoval. Most of her songs are about love and death. She is good!
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

wow, nice lineup from the names i can recognise. to add to what people have already said, i saw jack rose last year, and he's amazing. old-school slidey guitar shit. plus he looks a bit like a pirate! highly recommended. he's got a myspace page somewhere; you should check it out to see if it's your kind of thing.. 8)

oh and kinski are pretty good live too. i saw them in a rediculously small venue and it was pretty intense. not sure how it would work in a bigger venue or outdoors though. i guess they'd probably just turn up the volume to compensate (i'd hope so!) :)
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

Paik are a Detroit band. Here's their Myspace link for you to listen to.

http://www.myspace.com/paikspace

I had the fortune of meeting them when I was in Dertoit (thanks to BRMC and Mark Gardner who knew them). We visited their place which was a converted fire house. They had their own bar, pool table and small stage for bands to play. They were extremely hospitable and nice people and had huge afros- always a good thing. :D

Man, I loved Detroit- I want to go back!!!
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

Heh, i've always thought of "Beavis And Butthead" when I think of the name Bevis Frond!
elektromekanik
New user

Post by elektromekanik »

Motorpsycho: Heavy, spaced out, gentle, lots & lots of personality...
I haven't seen them in a long while, but they used to be a trio that sounded like a quintet, from the way they played in&out of each others' sounds. First gig I saw was one long rolling wave of sound after another - they probably played the usual ca. 10 songs, but in my mind it was three massive extended jams. Smokers' music, although they apparently are pretty straight - but make no mistake, they are NOT meandering hippies!

If you can find it, "Roadworks vol. 1" is a great live album from the era I'm talking about. Or try the unofficial-but-endorsed website - http://motorpsycho.fix.no/ - there's two video clips of the new line-up (new drummer).

Liner note quote: "The mind is a fire to be lighted, not a vessel to be filled"
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

elektromekanik wrote:
If you can find it, "Roadworks vol. 1" is a great live album from the era I'm talking about.
Absolutely - this is an incredible album with possibly the worst title in the history of music: 'Heavy Metall iz a poze, hardt rock iz a Laifschteil'. :roll:

It goes from rip roaring psych guitar to semi-symphonic spaced out bliss and has a pretty decent cover of MC5's 'Black To Comm'. The 15+ minutes of 'Super/Wheel' is one of the best guitar tracks I've heard in the last few years. Highly recommended. Oh, and The Heads have played with them in Europe which is what drew me to them in the 1st place....
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

John T Angle wrote:Kinski make repetitive drone rock, not disimilar to early Spacemen 3. In fact, they covered a Spacemen track on one of their albums. They are good!

Never heard of them but i see they're playing Dublin on the 20th so i'll definitely go and check 'em out. Thanks for the tip.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

sunny wrote:
Not something you hear everyday :lol:
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

Part of that was down to you also! I love music and Detroit is full of good band, both past and present...that city should be appreciated far more than it is! It rocks, no doubt about it. 8)
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

spzretent wrote:
Not something you hear everyday :lol:
Where've you been fella? Surely you don't have commitments outside this board?
Shoulders back, smash it
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

sunny wrote:
Part of that was down to you also! I love music and Detroit is full of good band, both past and present...that city should be appreciated far more than it is! It rocks, no doubt about it.

Those of us who live here know that. Its convincing the rest of the world. that seems to be the hard part.

Elektronikmusic:
I've been on a mini European tour.
Stuttgart
Manchester
Leeds
Liverpool
Morecambe
and Schipol twice.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

spzretent wrote: Morecambe
Tell more...
Shoulders back, smash it
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

my friends flat is being renovated so they had to send their blind cat to the previous owner who lives in Morecambe. that was my day out. seaside, fresh air, 40 mph winds and some rain too. I've never been. So it was something new to me. I was well impressed w/the roadside services. way better than here.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

That's great Spzretent...nothing beats a seaside breeze.
Take care
Shoulders back, smash it
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Windy & Carl make really trippy guitar-drone soundscape kind of stuff. They're ace. Drawing of Sound and Antarctica are my favourite records of theirs, as well as the blue 10" they did on Ochre which I can't remember the name of at the moment. "Kate" was one side, the better of the two I think.
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

Windy and Carl are in my top five bands. Windy has just recorded a solo album that sounds a bit scary - even Kranky passed on it.

In some ways, I'd suggest you shouldn't worry so much about the individual bands. Terrastock has a well-established reputation for offering a quality event for the "niche" community of musicians and music fans who like psychedelic noise drone type bands. Have a read of Windy's diary from Terrastock 5 - it will give you a feel for how important the event is for some of the participants.

There were two websites which hosted mp3 files of webcasts of all Terrastock 6's performances - one is now offline, but I can try and find the other's url, if anyone is interested.
SpacemanRob
Known user

Post by SpacemanRob »

& Bardo Pond are the band that did the brilliant version of 'Call The Doctor' on the tribute album many moons ago. Slowed down and pretty heavy version, kinda ground out. The only other cover, outside of Mogwai, that you can still listen to.
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

only seen three of those bands..
mono and bardo pond I would watch again - motorpsycho didn´t impress me as much but it was a long time ago - I might just have been too wasted.
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
Horrorflick
Known user

Post by Horrorflick »

I actually saw Windy & Carl at 5th Ave in Royal Oak. A vibrating phone call (hey, I'm polite!) from a friend of mine woke me up about a third of the way into the show. They manage to spin out some pretty soundscapes, but they're a little short on the swagger and kick...
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Bardo Pond are one of the best live acts I've ever seen.
noOne
Known user

Post by noOne »

sunny wrote:Paik are a Detroit band. Here's their Myspace link for you to listen to.

http://www.myspace.com/paikspace

I had the fortune of meeting them when I was in Dertoit (thanks to BRMC and Mark Gardner who knew them). We visited their place which was a converted fire house. They had their own bar, pool table and small stage for bands to play. They were extremely hospitable and nice people and had huge afros- always a good thing. :D

everytime i have gone to Detroit it has been an amazing experience.
i usually go down for the Electronic Music Festival. i plan on doing
so again this summer.
Lord Please Fuck My Mind For Good
brianbrian
Known user

Post by brianbrian »

thanks for a great thread folks, I'm starting to really look forward to this festival.

Detroit is excellent. No one else hardly gets to see Outrageous Cherry. Wish I could get down there more often, but currently a 500 mile round trip at $3+ gallon plus outrageous bar bills keep these excursions to a minimum. Really bummed I missed a Shonen Knife show there a few months back but found out about it after the fact.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

I'm seriously kicking around the idea of making the 500 mile trip to Louisville for this festival. With tickets on special for only $55 until the end of the month, I think I've got time to get finances in order. An upcoming trip to Puerto Rico in March is hitting my pocket hard, but this really looks too good to miss.
I think I feel it coming on
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Damon & Naomi were 2/3 of galaxie 500. very nice, she's got such a terrific, far-away voice. It was ten years ago I saw them so I don't know what they are doing now. They also have publishing company, Exact Change.
Major Stars run a durn fine record store, and are closely tied in w Damon & Naomi. I've never seen them but have heard VERY rave reviews. *oh, I looked it up and they used to be in MAGIC HOUR with D & N, a Boston band that I never go to see but were somewhat legendary I think)*

I saw black forest black sea but I don't remember much about that night. maybe they were from Italy and did a "noise" set all in black with violins? maybe. maybe that wasn't them.. puppets, there may have been puppets.
?

I've heard some Sharron Kraus, some very lovely haunting songs, and I mean haunting, but the rest of the cd I was not so crazy for. I'd love to see her live, though.

have fun!
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

My first introduction to some of the bands listed here was a benefit double cd I stumbled across by "accident" and subsequently purchased in 1995 called Succour. Here's the details:

SUCCOUR (1995)

Front Cover 'Succour' was the original Terrascope fund-raiser - a double CD featuring exclusive tracks by 35 "terrascopic" bands and artists. Originally self-released in 1995 and given the catalogue number POT-1, it was compiled by Phil McMullen and designed & mastered by Nick Saloman. Flydaddy Records (run by two former Sub Pop employees, brothers Kevin and Adam) later licensed and reissued it in North America, this time with a different cover that was designed especially for it by former Terrascope artist Davina Ware. In 1996 there was also a now extremely rare Japanese version released as a single CD.

THE LINUS PAULING QUARTET - Dartania (7:03) Previously unreleased. Clinton Heider (lead guitar), Ramon Medina (Fender Jaguar, chanting & mixing), Steve (bass), Larry (drums).

THE GREEN PAJAMAS - Deadly Nightshade (4:43) Previously unreleased. Written & recorded by Jeff Kelly.

PALACE - Black/Rich Tune (3:14) Previously unreleased. 1996 Royal Stable Music (ASCAP).

PORCUPINE TREE - Ptolemine Treescope (6:02) Previously unreleased. Improvised 13/7/95 live in the studio. Written by S. Wilson. Copyright control S. Wilson MCPS 1996.

THE POWDER MONKEYS - The Supernova That Never Quits (5:01) Previously unreleased radio edit. Tim Hemensley (bass/vocals), John Nolan (guitar), Timmy Jack Ray (drums).

THE WELLWATER CONSPIRACY - The Far Side Of Your Moon (3:13) Previously unreleased. Music by John Paul McBain.

PETER BUCK & SCOTT McCAUGHEY - Hate Me More (4:49) From the film Georgia. Recorded Oct. 30th 1994 at John Keane Recording, Athens, GA. Written by Buck/McCaughey. Peter Buck (guitars), Scott McCaughey (guitars/keyboards/vocals), John Keane (pedal steel, bass), Jon Crist (tambourine).

CURRENT 93 - Nihil (4:36) Previously unreleased. David Tibet (nihil), Steven Stapleton (nihil), Geoff CoxDor e (nihil), Michael Cashmore (nihil). Durtro, 1996.

CHARALAMBIDES - Drop (5:56) Previously unreleased. Charalambides: Tom Carter, Christina Carter & Jason Bill.

THE BEVIS FROND - Dry Rain (5:18) Previously unreleased. Written, produced & recorded February 1996 by Nick Saloman.

KABLE - Omar (2:38) Previously unreleased. Written & recorded by Kay Bonya.

SPIRIT - Cages (4:49) Previously unreleased. Written & recorded by Spirit, 1996. Aqua Blue Music A.S.C.A.P.

FLYING SAUCER ATTACK - Bare Trees (3:24) Previously unreleased. Published by Heartbeat/Complete Music.

CLOCKBRAINS - Everything You Want (3:42) Previously unreleased live recording.

THE MARILYN DECADE - Cock Marsh on Bicycles (2:26) Previously unreleased. Michael Beard (guitars), Mickey OConnell (guitars), Richard Conway Jones (accompaniment)

MOTORPSYCHO - The Nerve Tattoo (4:28) Non album version.Written & produced by Motorpsycho.

CAPTAIN SENSIBLE - So Far Out (6:27) Previously unreleased. Captain Sensible (guitar, synthesiser, vocals), Sarah Mlz (vocals, piano), Rachel Bor (vocals).

NURSE WITH WOUND - Angle (5:16) Previously unreleased. Steven Stapleton (percussion, atmosphere), Chris Wallis (bazouki), Pete Bog (didgeridoo, bodhran)

SUNDIAL - Red Sky (4:41) Previously unreleased demo version. Gary Ramon, 1996.

THE OLIVIA TREMOR CONTROL - The Ships (4:30) Previously unreleased. Written, played & produced by The Olivia Tremor Control, 1995.

THE FLYTE REACTION - New Sunrise (4:21) Previously unreleased. Words & music by Mick Crossley.

DUNLAVY - Wesleyan (3:32) Previously unreleased. Words & music by Dunlavy: Scott Grimm (guitar), Elizabeth Swift (bass), Paul Gregory (drums).

ROBYN HITCHCOCK - She Was Sinister But She Was Happy (3:19) Previously unreleased early version. Copyright: August 23rd Music.

BARDO POND - Affa (5:31) Previously unreleased. Recorded Feb. 1996, Philadelphia USA. Michael Gibbons (guitar, vocals), John Gibbons (guitar, vocals), Clint Takeda (bass), Joe Culver (drums), Isobel Sollenberger (flute, vocals).

MOOSEHEART FAITH - You Are Just A Flying Egg (3:54) Previously unreleased. Written by Homer & Robinson. Todd Homer (bass, vocals & synth), Larry Robinson Jr. (guitars & synth), Richie West (drums).

THE HEADS - Spliff Riff (4:41) Previously unreleased. Paul Allen (guitars), H.O.Morgan (bass), Simon Price (vocals, guitar), Wayne Maskell (drums). Published by Rooster Rock.

CUL DE SAC - Into The Cone Of Cold (3:52) Previously unreleased. Written by Jones. Recorded at Practice Space, April 1995. Personnel: Robin Amos (synthesizer), Chris Fujiwara (bass), Glenn Jones (guitar), Jon Proudman (drums).

THE LUCKY BISHOPS - Ashtralia (4:43) Previously unreleased. Lucky Bishops: Luke Adams, Richard Murphy, Thomas Hughes and Alan Strawbridge.

ENDINOS EARTHWORM - Fried, Baked or Scrambled (2:39) Previously unreleased. Music by Jack Endino. Jack Endino (gtrs), Barrett Martin (drums), Pat Pedersen (bass).

ETHEREAL COUNTERBALANCE - Let It Fly (5:13) Previously unreleased. Written & performed by Rod Goodway, with Phil Smith (bass, drums, guitar).

MEDICINE BALL - Building and Building (5:07) Written & performed by Medicine Ball: Bruce Moravec (drums), Don Sanders (guitar), Mark Stone (bass), Evan Williams (guitar).

STRAPPING FIELDHANDS - Tale From Telegewae (2:56) Previously unreleased. Bob Malloy (vocals, guitar), Bob Dickie (bass), Jacy Webster (guitar), Sky Kishlo (drums)

GHOST - Beyond Coimbula (1:57) Previously unreleased live edit recorded 6/6/95 in Northampton, USA. Masaki Batoh (acoustic guitar), Kazuo Oginu (Hammond, alto recorder), Iwao Yamazaki (drums), Junichi Yamamoto (bass, bamboo flute), Fuji (percussion)

COIL - Lost Rivers of London (7:38) Previously unreleased. Written by Balance/Christopherson.

MAGIC HOUR - Sunrise Variations (3:21) Previously unreleased. Magic Hour: Wayne Rogers, Naomi Yang, Kate Biggar, Damon Krukowski. Plastic Cloud Music, BMI.
solarflare
Known user

Post by solarflare »

acid mothers, wooden shjips, bevis frond and spacemen 3 were all on a free cd i got with mojo in october last year "in search of syd"
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Man, I am so geeked I squeek.
:shock:
8)

I took the plunge and snagged two 4 day passes for Terrastock 7 today. Seven hours to Louisville for 4 days of blissed out art/music/culture/life force.

I have to thank Spzretent for this. He (unknowingly) inspired me back in November to grab my chances when they come rolling by.

Here I go a rolling :wink:
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

purespace wrote:Man, I am so geeked I squeek.
:shock:
8)

I took the plunge and snagged two 4 day passes for Terrastock 7 today. Seven hours to Louisville for 4 days of blissed out art/music/culture/life force.
Have fun! That's a helluva bill--I wish that it came somewhere around here.....