Spiritualized VHS Rushes

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

rushes
New user

Spiritualized VHS Rushes

Post by rushes »

Hello.

Back in 1995 I worked for a company which did Spiritualized's web site. When the company went bust in 1997 we cleared out the office and I picked up a pile of VHS tapes which were left behind.

Amongst the tapes were three Spiritualized videos. They say on them "Spiritualised TK Rushes" and there are three: Roll A, Roll B and Roll C. I can't play them any more so, before binning them: does anyone want them?

I hope it's okay to post this as I'm not actually selling them. Seems a shame to waste them.

Cheers.
_
Richard
spzretent
Site Admin

Re: Spiritualized VHS Rushes

Post by spzretent »

I would love to get my hands on what you are offering.
thanks
A
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
spazed99
Known user

Post by spazed99 »

Hi,

Maybe you should return them to their rightful owner? Let me know where you are based but you can send them to J. Spaceman c/o IHT, 2D, CNAC, 26-32 Voltaire Rd, London SW4 6DH. That's his management company and I'm happy to provide the phone number to verify via an email not on the board. Thanks.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

spazed99 wrote:Hi,

Maybe you should return them to their rightful owner? Let me know where you are based but you can send them to J. Spaceman c/o IHT, 2D, CNAC, 26-32 Voltaire Rd, London SW4 6DH. That's his management company and I'm happy to provide the phone number to verify via an email not on the board. Thanks.
Maybe you should tell us who YOU are spazed99 and where you're based.
I'm not feelin' your "gorilla in a suit" stance, here.
Can you prove JP is the rightful owner of these tapes?

Rushes, have you seen them? Is it all dwarfs, drag queens and messy moments.

Is this a scandal! Anything to get Mucca and Macca off the front pages....puleeease.
Shoulders back, smash it
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

The old website used to contain little video clips including one of Jason playing a melody on guitar. I imagine this might be the raw form of these clips. I agree with Spazed that these are better off going back to Spaceman's management where, who knows, they might even be made accessible again.
rushes
New user

Post by rushes »

Hmmm. Okay. Perhaps that's the best thing to do.

Is that the right address?
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

Please send me the tapes! I will transfer them to DVD and mp4, share them with everyone here, and get them back to you in a week. You can do whatever you want with the originals, and I will pay for your shipping.
I am currently sharing several VHS>DVD transfers with the group, but I have a new iMac, so I can actually do a much better job now. These need to be transferred, I've had some bad luck with VHS tapes from 1995, we should try to digitize them before they are ruined. I would really love to do this for everyone, and myself.
Thank you.
http://idisk.mac.com/dselevan-Public?view=web
David
spazed99
Known user

Post by spazed99 »

as previously requested send them back to the gorilla in the suit. footage like this will be put back onto the revamped site. as expressed before, off board you can have my email and verify we are "the management".
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

I will vouch for spazed. since i have contact with him over the board.

Cheers,

M
Design.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

dselevan wrote:Please send me the tapes! I will transfer them to DVD and mp4, share them with everyone here, and get them back to you in a week. You can do whatever you want with the originals, and I will pay for your shipping.
I am currently sharing several VHS>DVD transfers with the group, but I have a new iMac, so I can actually do a much better job now. These need to be transferred, I've had some bad luck with VHS tapes from 1995, we should try to digitize them before they are ruined. I would really love to do this for everyone, and myself.
Thank you.
http://idisk.mac.com/dselevan-Public?view=web
David
Dave, chill out with your aggresive marketing fella.
spazed99 wrote:as previously requested send them back to the gorilla in the suit. footage like this will be put back onto the revamped site. as expressed before, off board you can have my email and verify we are "the management".
:D

Talk about dangling a carrot...first sub-standard demo's/outakes and now vhs vids...anything from this century?

Sweet Lord
Shoulders back, smash it
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Quick!!! There are some polaroids up on the pictures section!!!!

:lol:
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

Is the IHT mentioned above the record label owned by David Gray :?

Perhaps this would explain the Acoustic Mainlines direction then.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Stick 'em on eBay fella and we'll take our chances!!

Seriously though, disappearing into a black hole or being sliced and diced into tiny web-friendly chunks does seem a bit of a waste of some cool rare footage of the master at work.

*whisper* I can do VHS to DVD real easy with my funky twin deck machine....

:wink: :wink:
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Just to clarify my stand-point...I'm with spazed99; I reckon they should be returned to the rightful owner...whoever that may be. The whole who paid and does the producer (of the vids) keep the original "ya-da-ya" springs to mind...but if spazed can confirm that who he represents owns the vhs vids then they should be returned.

I don't think they should be duplicated onto dvd for mass sharing as i'm sure this wouldn't have been the intention at the start. Neither should they be benefited from by anyone other than the owner and certainly not by people who are going to attain these as another notch in there spiritualized bed-post.

My original annoyance was due to the policing of assets by spazed but after further thought he's only looking out for his interests. Fair Play.

I hope that between rushes and spazed99 there is a satisfactory outcome to this matter.
Shoulders back, smash it
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

for what it's worth, spazed99 is the real deal and in direct contact with Jason. Since you were thinking of binning it anyway, I'd be inclined to honor spazed99's request. Not to mention what it'll do for your Karma.
I think I feel it coming on
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

I'm taking this offline.
I'm offended. Most of you would not have seen the Pure Phase promo if I had not transferred it. I saw my transfer on a Spiritualized MySpace page, as far as I know I was the only person who still had one and took the time to transfer it. I had to go searching through my parents old attic to get that and do it for you guys.

I am very excited about new material from the Pure Phase era, this is what I've been looking for for years. I've been giving you all free videos, somewhere in the back of my mind hoping for some new old stuff. That said, I'm not looking for any major distribution. I just want to do the video transfer and get the video back to the people who feel like they own it.

I don't know if Jason cares about these tapes. I don't think they are owned by Spiritualized.com. When I tried to ask Matt who works for the website about videos, he said,"I know Jason doesn't really have any videos in his " archive". I don't either. Someone on that forum must have one though..." I think it would be ideal to transfer these videos and give them to Spiritualized.com for them to share with everyone. I'm just offering to help with this. I would be very excited to be apart of this, I would do the best job possible, even if this meant upgrading my equipment. Archiving Spiritualized video is my primary purpose here, I've been talking about this forever.

I am very busy and not looking for a notch in my belt. I think I can help you, and I have proven my willingness to do video transfers by my previous behavior.

am excited to find out what is on these tapes. I'm sure I will get to see them regardless. I really just want to be apart of this. Now I'm just asking for you to allow me to do the video transfers. I've got some awesome software and hardware for doing this right now. I can do a much better job than what I did for Glasto 92, 98, and MTV 120 minutes. I have a new iMac, new encoder card, new software. I can work with the web people and make a file to their exact specifications.

I'm not looking to mass produce anything, I would like to get this out in whatever format you guys think is appropriate as soon as possible. VHS tapes degrade quickly, this is something that might have to happen on the first or second playing of the tape.

Anyway, I would return the originals and all digital formats back to the original owner as well as Spiritualizd.com. They could host it. I would be saving everyone a lot of time when it comes to seeing these tapes because I could have a digital format to the web hosting people in a day, and return the originals the next day.

If you guys really want to pay someone to do this, fine. I think you all know I would put a lot of love into this project and you would end up with something really cool. Some transfer company will just transfer the videos for you. I will make the menus, chapters, pretty much spend a lot of time making the DVD and web release as nice as possible. The choice is yours, just please don't question my motives. I don't need another notch in my belt, whatever that means.

David
Last edited by dselevan on Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Chill pill time man...

I'd question the fact that you are the only person who has transferred stuff like Pure Phase promos - I have loads of Spiritualized promo tapes and I could have transferred them easily enough. Of course its good when these things appear on the web so everyone can see them but to claim sole responsibility for them being in a format that can be used on the web is stretching it a little. The tapes discussed here could be unreleased or contain something Jason does not want people to see, hence the invitation to return them. Someone directly connected to him made a sensible enough appeal to get them back to the guy himself, that's all. It was done in a thoroughly reasonable manner and I'm slightly puzzled as to what you are so worked up about. You can bet Jason and his management will want to view them before they are made public, either to you or via this forum so it seems highly unlikely that they would ask a forum member to transfer them.

As for the tapes belonging (or not) to Spiritualized.com I'm not sure what that means. Spiritualized.com is simply the band's web site and this is, in turn, the arm that houses the message board. And the message board is hosted completely independently anyway. I'm not sure who Matt is although there may be someone connected with the label called that. We get occasional info from Ben and a little from spazed99, but never from anyone who works for the web site.
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

Alright, f... it. I don't want to transfer your videos, have fun.
I personally don't need anymore Spiritualized tapes, and I'm completely disillusioned by the attitude of people on this board. I give up. I wanted to help, these were tapes Jason made for the old Spiritualized website, I don't know why it would be secret.

Matt works for the store and is the one who goes to Jason and gets things personalized by him if you buy vinyl from them.

Good luck getting these tapes, I was offering a way you could all view them within 7-12 days.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

WTF?
:shock:
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

good god man! set the crack pipe down and step away from the keyboard or super nanny will be paying you a visit.
I think I feel it coming on
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

I'm actually at work. You think I would waste my time here if I was smoking freebase? Give me a break.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

i would hope not but that depends where you work of course.
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

This is lame. I've deleted all the videos I posted to my personal drive. Contact me if you want anything, or try ebay.

See you guys later.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

ok! I am going to be the big meany here.

everyone put down the pipes... TAP TAP.... I mean 'EVERYONE'!

Ok let us all reflect on what has happened.

nobody is right or wrong.

argument ended.

please send apologies to:

Spiritualized Forum

PO BOX: 666

Sanatarium City

Pluto

Design.
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

I don't want to put down my pipe.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

please? :roll:
Design.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Y'know, dselevan can get worked up about stuff and be an easy target at times but all he was saying was that he would convert these without any monetary recompense and get them out there. Don't see the need for people not connected to Jason to get uptight about that, and even it was a notch for his Spiritualized bed-post,well so what? Why should that bother anyone? Its only important if you give it that importance. Whether i ever see the tapes makes no difference to me by the way.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

Correct. I was just offering to convert the tapes because I don't really know anyone else who is doing that. I'm all set up for it, it is something I could do very well very easily. If Spiritualized.com wants the tapes, and wants to pay someone to do the conversions, that is absolutely fine. I was excited to find out what is on the tapes, but I'm sure the material will surface eventually. It's really up to the person who owns the tape. Now it took so much god damn typing to get that message across, you people really are annoying for the most part.
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

Hell, I'm actually strangely excited to find out what is on these tapes. I mean it could be the totally over-viewed promo videos that came out for Pure Phase, Live at Royal Albert Hall, and Let It Come Down (who hasn't seen these!) Than it could be all new material like the MTV footage that wasn't shown on the air. Or the amazing show I saw at the Whiskey in 1995 (they actually told me they gave the video to the band). Or it could be just Jason strumming his guitar (unlikely). Anyway, I certainly want to see these videos, regardless of where they go. I hope the website people get them up quickly, as it appears they are the ones getting the tapes!
twentysixdollars
Known user

dselevan wrote: Or it could be just Jason strumming his guitar (unlikely).
Actually, if you were familiar in any way with the old website, and the sort of material they would have lying around, you would probably find it extremely likely that the footage on the tapes is of Jason strumming his guitar and talking about Pure Phase. Do you know what rushes are (="dailies")? Generally nothing all that interesting. It's really stupid to get indignant about this. Jason's management doesn't think they own this material - they do own this material. They will probably post some of it now that a stink has been made, as a goodwill gesture. There are people here who appreciate what you do (myself included) but that doesn't give you license to claim ownership or first-look privileges for all the video material that turns up.
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

For what it's worth, I think the movies section of this website it awesome.

I never asked for ownership privileges for anything, you people are nuts. I offered to transfer these to DVD (at no cost) and Quicktime (the format this site uses) and RETURN THE TAPES.

Based on the huge amount of material in the movies section, I assumed my offer would be appreciated. Jeez, do you guys really think they are going to digitize these things and post them for you? Maybe, but there are currently a total of 2 movies on this website.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

sunray wrote:Y'know, dselevan can get worked up about stuff and be an easy target at times but all he was saying was that he would convert these without any monetary recompense and get them out there. Don't see the need for people not connected to Jason to get uptight about that, and even it was a notch for his Spiritualized bed-post,well so what? Why should that bother anyone? Its only important if you give it that importance. Whether i ever see the tapes makes no difference to me by the way.
Sunny, the statement regarding "another notch for there Spritualized bed-post" was in response to what Greeny said* and not dselevan; mass produced/available on ebay. *Before the usual parasitical suspects fly in to feed off the scraps; i'm quite aware that Greeny was speaking very much tongue in cheek. However I wanted to firmly say that was not my standpoint.
It was actually meant as a universal statement in respect of people needing all the stuff...just to say they have it and I'm 100% sure that originally (when shot) this wouldn't have been the intention to do with the footage.

My original response to spazed99 was due to his firm assumption that who he represents actually owned the vhs vids. That and the fact that it paints a rather pathetic image...vids from nineteen canteen, "the management" issuing orders that "stuff" be returned through a forum; I mean c'mon to fuck...then the promise that these will be digitised and present on the new spiritualised website...like you say, it makes no difference...I'm not going to organise a night-in (with nibbles & dips) when these are finally aired.

Dave has proven himself time and time again that he transfers videos for love...not for kudos. I acknowledge that and I'm sure the majority of people on here do also. He is an easy target but I think it should be his decison to restore parity to what he sais and not anyone elses.
Shoulders back, smash it
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

My original response to spazed99 was due to his firm assumption that who he represents actually owned the vhs vids. That and the fact that it paints a rather pathetic image...vids from nineteen canteen, "the management" issuing orders that "stuff" be returned through a forum; I mean c'mon to fuck...then the promise that these will be digitised and present on the new spiritualised website...like you say, it makes no difference...I'm not going to organise a night-in (with nibbles & dips) when these are finally aired.
LOL. That's pretty funny. Who is the management anyway? The only person I spoke to on this site was a gentleman named Matt who worked for the, "pharmacy" and was kind enough to offer to get my records signed and personalized by Jason. He kindly refunded my money when I realized they didn't actually have anything to sell. Oh I guess this is the, "Outpatient" management which is different than the, "inpatient" management who are handling the new secret Spiritualized album. As I said, the 2 movies on this site are pretty neat, I can't wait for some new stuff after 15 years.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

eleKtroniK:musiK wrote:
sunray wrote:Y'know, dselevan can get worked up about stuff and be an easy target at times but all he was saying was that he would convert these without any monetary recompense and get them out there. Don't see the need for people not connected to Jason to get uptight about that, and even it was a notch for his Spiritualized bed-post,well so what? Why should that bother anyone? Its only important if you give it that importance. Whether i ever see the tapes makes no difference to me by the way.
Sunny, the statement regarding "another notch for there Spritualized bed-post" was in response to what Greeny said* and not dselevan; mass produced/available on ebay. *Before the usual parasitical suspects fly in to feed off the scraps; i'm quite aware that Greeny was speaking very much tongue in cheek. However I wanted to firmly say that was not my standpoint.
It was actually meant as a universal statement in respect of people needing all the stuff...just to say they have it and I'm 100% sure that originally (when shot) this wouldn't have been the intention to do with the footage.

Dave has proven himself time and time again that he transfers videos for love...not for kudos. I acknowledge that and I'm sure the majority of people on here do also. He is an easy target but I think it should be his decison to restore parity to what he sais and not anyone elses.
Aye, fair point there. As regards spazed99 i thought your original post to him was funny and i was inclined to agree with you. I just mis-read the "Bed-post" comment not realising twas in response to Greeny and not ds. Finally, nice to be mistaken for sunny. :)
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

sunray wrote: Finally, nice to be mistaken for sunny. :)

:lol: :oops: :arrow:
Shoulders back, smash it
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

You guys are great.
This isn't my real persona, more of an alter-ego message board jackass. I usually play devil's advocate just to keep the conversation going. Someone's gotta do it.

If anyone would like to know what Jason and co. looked like in the 90's, just give me a PM and I'll encode some video for you. As people said, these clips probably aren't the most exciting thing in the world, and it looks unlikely that Spiritualized.com is all of a sudden going to start posting movies after all these years.

Have a nice weekend y'all.

D
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Re: Who cares?

Post by BzaInSpace »

Alright!

have a good weekend yourselves also.
Mussels
Known user

Post by Mussels »

Dan:

Take a chill pill and GET BACK TO WORK ! Shite, you've posted more than anyone and I'm tired of your " I'm doing for YOU guys cause ". It's Jason tapes and they should be mailed back to Jason BEFORE you get your grubby hands on them. How do you know that Jason wants you to edit them and post them ?

Your a piece of work, man. Get a life and go out and get some fresh air. You scare me ...
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

"I have these tapes, does anyone want them" was the beginning of this thread, you guys had to turn it into a philosophical debate. Now no one will see them. Fun!

I'm trying to delete this account. Still converting Glasto 04 if anyone needs a copy. I don't want to generalize, but why does everyone have such a nasty attitude? Let's get back to reality for a moment. The Glasto 04 video is almost done.

The way I understood it Jason took the time to record these with the purpose of them getting posted and 10 years later they never did. Someone who worked for the website found the tapes and was asking if anyone wanted them. Ue didn't have a VCR and had no idea what was on the tapes. This was posted here, not sent as a request to the new website for direction. I simply offered to make it happen, make the DVDs, and return the tapes. As far as I know, I'm the only one who has gone through the trouble of converting at least 10 VHS Spiritualized tapes to DVD. I share them with everyone. What's the problem?

It's not really that much fun to do this, it takes a lot more work and effort than you guys realize. First one has to encode the tapes. It just took me an hour to do Glasto04. I also had to strip the region code. If they are color degraded, the video needs to be repaired using software. Than one needs to create chapter markers, a menu screen, and finally burn the DVD for multiple regions. Next I would have to create a high quality yet small Quicktime file that could be posted on this website. I do this professionally. Mainly for family and friends, but I also converted some videos for my employer, a large HMO. We had educational materials in Spanish for our Kidney patients, I made DVDs so they could take them home if they didn't own VCRs. This is pretty much a big hassle, I do get paid to do it, and I was offering my services for free. I made it clear that I didn't want the tapes, I was going to do a rush job and return them. Why is it any of your business? Rather than keeping the tapes or watching them get binned, I have the ability, as well as the online storage capacity needed to share these videos with everyone.

Someone could easily run it by Spaceman, I never said not to. To assume he would rather have the VHS tapes he recorded for the old website is kind of weird. Why would he take the time to record them if he didn't want people to see them? These are not from his personal collection. According to Matt who works at the store and knows Jason, Jason does not have a personal video collection. Seems like Jason went pretty cheap with the website, I wouldn't be surprised if Jason through away the tapes. There has been very little new media posted on this site, pretty much just the mp3s that Will took the time to master and produce. Since when is it ok to post CDs that Will took the time and energy to produce, but not look at a tape that Jason recorded? Seems like he would appreciate someone converting the tapes for free for him, it doesn't appear like anyone is doing that for this website.

Speaking of the site, they don't even have the records they advertise. I bought Medication. Matt who works for the pharmacy and is friends with Jason offered to get it personalized for me. Eventually he gave me my money back, telling me their records were all lost or in storage. Considering this website doesn't even have the rare vinyl they are advertising, do you guys really think they are going to pay to have these tapes digitized and posted? Probably not. I no longer want to have anything to do with this message board, so I wouldn't convert these tapes if you paid me. Well maybe if you paid me, but I would be working for the website and not doing anyone any favors. Clearly it is not cool to post shows and videos for other members here.

I always heard about how people get off by power tripping on message boards. I didn't expect it here, I've been on a Spiritualized message board for over half my life. It really amazes me that people with no life get their rocks off by trying to defend a rock star, trying to guess what he is thinking or wants. What do you get out of putting someone down personally? I know I am guilty of it, but only when someone has taken the time to attack me on this message board. To me that makes a weirdo, because I only come here to try to share some of the things that I collected over years and years of trading. I've been trading of Spiritualized tapes since 1995, when I saw them play at the Whiskey. After that show I even called the Whiskey to see if they had the video. They gave the video to the band, and now it is lost and no one will see the best show I've ever heard.

Why do you care what is good use of my time? I'm actually off work today, I was getting ready to share some Spiritualized shows (a cool show I found from Texas, some radio sessions, a great DVD of Glasto 04) and this would have taken me a few hours.

Well you got what you wanted. I've asked to have this account removed. Email gypsy.dave@yaya if you have any requests or would like to share anything I might not have.

Enjoy those Rushes, whatever they are. Send them to Jason if you want, I'm sure he's going to run to the nearby video editor and make sure they throw them up on this site that he hasn't updated in as long as I can remember. Are you guys really this dumb?
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

dselevan wrote:"I have these tapes, does anyone want them" was the beginning of this thread, you guys had to turn it into a philosophical debate. Now no one will see them. Fun!

Enjoy those Rushes, whatever they are. Send them to Jason if you want, I'm sure he's going to run to the nearby video editor and make sure they throw them up on this site that he hasn't updated in as long as I can remember. Are you guys really this dumb?
Crikey blimey dselevan, calm down. Don't get me wrong, it's great that you're keen to share rarities, and I realise how much time and effort goes into it. But you've no God-given right to these tapes, and to get angry and sanctimonious when people suggest they should be sent to Jason instead is just plain ridiculous. Stop throwing your toys out of the pram and threatening to leave the board, it's not worth it. C'mon, it's just a disagreement! Peace.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Easily the biggest over reaction ever seen here. That's a shame as I think you, dselevan, have been generous with your recording offerings and your input often interesting.

This is how this situ breaks down:

- Guy says he has Spiritualized tapes and offers them

- Spiritualized management bloke suggests returning them to Jason

- You want them to make copies and distribute them via the web

Er, that seems to be it. The second point vastly outweighs anything you have said. Because opinion weighed more heavily that way your erupting reaction is a little startling to say the least. Shame.

I don't know how to delete accounts - MODLAB or Nightwash are more suitably equipped. I'm sorry to see you go, as I am pretty much everyone who makes a dramatic exit. Your decision obviously and despite your protestations no one has 'got what they wanted' and although many people have been on power trips in these parts in the past (although I believe it's a rare thing) I haven't seen that present in this thread at all.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

dselevan wrote:"I have these tapes, does anyone want them" was the beginning of this thread, you guys had to turn it into a philosophical debate. Now no one will see them. Fun!

you may have a point! someone should ask jason
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Dave:
You need to just let the negativity roll off your back.
this is the nameless, faceless internet after all.
you also need to lower your expectations for those you hook up w/cds, dvds etc.
if you want to spread the love thats great. but you cant expect everyone who downloads something to personally thank you. It would be nice. And it probably is the right thing to do. But to expect it is going to leave you seriously disillusioned(which is the point we are currently at).
Regarding the videos offered. If Jason(or his management) wants them then they have every right to ask for them back. End of story.
For those making personal remarks, screw em'. Obviously Spiritualized is important to you. Why bail from the message board?
And sometimes not responding to such posts makes more of an impact than responding to each one.
Trust me on that one.
noOne
Known user

Post by noOne »

spazed99 wrote:Hi,

i think you should pay for the shipping and packaging and rushes should be compensated in some way for getting this footage back into your hands.

jes sayin' :roll:
Lord Please Fuck My Mind For Good
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

I want to talk to Jason, to see if he wants all this video back. I mean, by your definition, this Arista Promo for Pure Phase given to record shops now belongs to the MANAGEMENT. Can you please send me his home phone number, cell phone, pager, fax. Seeing that every video with him on it belongs to MANAGEMENT, I would like to see if he would like my video collection. MANAGEMENT: Please, I need to speak with Spaceman, he must get all his videos back!

Next, I would verify this is Jason's Management. In the thread regarding why there haven't been any EPs or Promos for the new album(not even a name) someone mentioned Jason was in-between management. He used to use a talent agency in New York which a band I used to play with was on. I think it was Evolution Talent which is no longer in business. I still have the number for our booking agent there, her name was Sandi, I can call her up and see if their MANAGEMENT would like all these tapes back. I'm starting to feel really guilty for not assuming the MANAGEMENT should have all the videos Jason's record company Arista ever created for promotion.

That said, I was offering to pay shipping, convert the videos, and ship them back to Jason. Right now I'm converting an old VCD for Veiko. This is going to take me a couple hours. I could already be done conveting these, "rushes" and we all would be watching them online today. I would love to take this offline and return the video to MANAGEMENT. I'm sure they will have them on some new Spiritualized site within the next decade.

I'm sitting back and laughing about how you guys went so far out of your way to completely alienate someone who was trying to provide a service for you. Right now I'm converting a VCD to Mp4 for one of you guys. Yes I get pleasure for it, but I really can't wait for the MANAGEMENT to do all this work for me! I have about 20 videos, please tell me where to send them. And yes, if you pay for shipping that would be great!

Let me speak with MANAGEMENT. I would rather speak to SPACEMAN inc. about this though, I'd hate for him to beat me up because I have his videos.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Jason was in between record labels sort of. Not management.
Spazed99 is legit. I know. I have met him.
The rightful owner of those videos is either Sanctuary(who no longer exist) or Jason(who thankfully does). Its up to them to decide what to do with them. No one elses. No matter how much time you spend converting mp3's to flacs to mp4s from video to DVD or whatever it is you are on about.
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

Spzretent: With all do respect, it would make sense to ask Jason if he even wants these videos. This gentleman was nice enough to let us know that he found these tapes, and was willing to give them away. For the price of mailing these to Jason's management, he could buy a VHS player and watch them himself. It just doesn't make sense to me that this person, who doesn't even work for the website anymore, should have to deal with the post office and pay to have these carefully shipped to Jason's management where they will disappear.

Jason obviously went cheap with this website. Or maybe his MANAGEMENT did. Isn't this site run by a couple of his buddies and a few fans? The reality is that they don't even post movies to this website, so what makes you think the management isn't just going to throw them away? This just doesn't seem logical to me, it makes me think that someone is using their title as MANAGEMENT to get to own these tapes. Why doesn't someone just ASK JASON?
yousef_mcr
Known user

Post by yousef_mcr »

spzretent wrote: The rightful owner of those videos is either Sanctuary(who no longer exist) or Jason(who thankfully does).
I wonder how relevant the owner of these ?2nd/3rd/xth generation VHS(!) tapes really is... I suspect that the fact that they've not held onto them suggests that they're not too bothered about them. One would hope, however, that the masters and finished cuts of whatever they were the 'rushes' of are safely stored somewhere.

What might be more relevant is who owns the copyright of the content of those tapes and I would say that, out of respect for a band and management that seem pretty open-minded when it comes to file-sharing, it might be polite (not to say prudent) to return them to them in the first instance.

It's probably a load of old shite anyway, innit.
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

This is a load of Shite. They didn't copyright the VHS promo material from that time. My Arista Promo tape doesn't have a copyright. It just says "ARIST SPIRITUALIZED 120 MINUTES SEGMENT ARV-490" The fact that these folks claim to be good buddies with Mr. Spaceman, yet they cannot ask him what he would like to do with these tapes, or what is on them, is a little questionable to me.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Re: The history of this web site.
It was started by Arista years ago. Jason has very little to do with it. It has, for all intents and purposes, been maintained by fans. Moderators do have a way of getting decisions made by going thru certain channels. If Jason is included in these I am unaware of that. He doesn't read the message board.
Now that the aforementioned Spazed99 is here regularly it is much easier.
And regarding the tapes? I would assume if the initial web site people had them they are not 3rd generation copies. And who knows what is on them.
But Dave, you act as if you have some divine right to them because you spend so much of your spare time transferring things. Which is utterly ridiculous. Thats your choice. First people didn't say thank you. Now you are pissed because management wants them back. Jason's management asked for them back that should have been the end of the story. But now we have 3 extra pages of this bullshit in this thread.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

http://copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright ... yright_law

Copyright in the UK is an automatic right and does not need to be explicitly declared - in this case it resides with either Jason (as the creator of the work contained within) or perhaps the creator of the video itself. What Jason or his management choose to do with the videos is irrelevant - they are his intellectual property and should be returned to him in the first instance. Once again, dselevan: irrespective of your good intentions, you have no right whatsoever to get first look at these tapes, and to get shirty when people point this out is ridiculous.
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

Spzretent: With all do respect to what you do, I never claimed divine right to anything. Go back to page one. The person who has these tapes asked if anyone WANTED them. I said I wanted them. Now I no longer want them, this is way too much drama. What if they got lost in the mail? I really don't want these tapes, trust me. There was another person who said they had a VHS-DVD converter. I hope someone asks Jason if he wants the tapes, and if not, they go to this person. That guy can do the work, he offered to do it, and than we can all enjoy the video. Right now I don't really need a thank you, but it would be really nice to see some video that I don't already have. Is there someone out there who would be nice enough to upload something from 1990-1996? That would be much better than a thank you.
twentysixdollars
Known user

dselevan wrote:This is a load of Shite. They didn't copyright the VHS promo material from that time. My Arista Promo tape doesn't have a copyright. It just says "ARIST SPIRITUALIZED 120 MINUTES SEGMENT ARV-490"
This is so fucking stupid! I don't even know where to begin telling you how ludicrous your argument is, although mc's post above is a good start. Basically, you have no understanding of what copyright means or entails. Which, to me, along with your pissy sanctimony, is a pretty good reason not to entrust copyrighted material to you.

(c)2008 the twentysixdollars partnership - all rights reserved
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

Right on man. I'm obviously not as smart as you.

Now I'm done sharing for good. I don't want to get sued by the Management. You guys can explain it to the guy who had never seen Spiritualized play, I was just ripping him 10-15 Spacemen 3 and Spiritualized DVDs. Seeing now that Spiritualized and their management is more interested in pursuing copyrights, I'm completely dissolusioned by the whole thing. No way am I going to infringe the copyright of Mr. Spaceman.

I'm not the first person this has happened to. I used to get all my vinyl from one guy in the UK, after Ladies and Gents came out he got totally disillusioned by the whole corporate madness and stopped selling. It really sucked because he used to give me rare copies with free 7"s, newspaper clippings, etc. All of you corporate minded copyright types really ruin the fun for the rest of us. Spiritualized really did sell out. I think you should all send your bootlegs to Mr. Spaceman. Clearly he doesn't mind letting you download mp3s that Will C produced, who owns the rights to that? I gave my money to Will, I don't think I can drop another cent into Spiritualized and their management. For those who don't have Blue on Blue or Friendly Fire, e-mail Will. He will sign it for you, and you might like his band Freelovebabies.

You know what? I'm done giving people Spiritualized DVDs. I'm actually disgusted even watching them. You all can argue about who owns the copyright, MTV, Arista, or Spiritualized, "Management." I'm so turned off by Spiritualized's management right now I don't even think I want to go see them play anymore. I hope you all enjoy the new Spiritualized album, make sure to pay for it, even if you hated the last album.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Now you lash out at a band you supposedly love and spend all this time doing lord knows what w/bootlegs, video and dvds.
I think its great Jason is cool w/shows being shared here. Back in 1997 he even let someone I introduced him to plug right into the soundboard. Not very characterisic of someone who has "sold out".
Have you, for one minute, thought about what some folks have posted here? Particularly the ones diametrically opposed to your opinions.
You have probably given way more reason to be wary of you than getting w/in sniffing distance of these videos.
spazed99
Known user

Post by spazed99 »

Can we put an end to this tedious thread. I manage Spiritualized and we discussed these tapes, he would like them back to at least look at what exists. If it's of interest then it will be posted on the revamped site. Seems fairly straightforward to me, without being heavy handed. It's great to see people care but it's time to move on. The site is currently being redesigned at not inconsiderable expense to the band, the album title / track listing / tour dates will be announced this week.

Yours, Gorilla in a suit.
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

Just send the tapes to Jeremy Kyle and be done with this already!
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

spazed99 wrote:Can we put an end to this tedious thread. I manage Spiritualized and we discussed these tapes, he would like them back to at least look at what exists. If it's of interest then it will be posted on the revamped site. Seems fairly straightforward to me, without being heavy handed. It's great to see people care but it's time to move on. The site is currently being redesigned at not inconsiderable expense to the band, the album title / track listing / tour dates will be announced this week.

Yours, Gorilla in a suit.
Agreed.

I believe everybody who has aired there own comments could have adopted a little less of "something" and a little more of "something" else.
It's just becoming a bit of a looped conversation/rant now.
Spazed has taken the time to update everyone of us on the situation (which he probably doesn't have to) and that should be the end of it.
Opinions have been raised; along with voices and emotions but that's life so let's not go ape over this and nit-pick what is (and has been pointed out as) a very straightforward issue.
I'd like to take this chance to apologise for approaching this thread initially with such a hap-hazard attitude...it's kind of bananaed back and I appreciate that what sapzed sais above is the "proper" outcome.

Regards

Stuart
Shoulders back, smash it
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

A topic that got way out of hand and is therefore now locked.