Songs In A&E

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

phaseGlyn
Known user

Songs In A&E

Post by phaseGlyn »

purespace
Known user

Re: Songs In A&E

Post by purespace »

So is this it then? Is this the new album? Maybe it's time to spill it as the management stated that all would be revealed this week . . .
I think I feel it coming on
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

the new album obviously :roll: :shock:
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
phaseGlyn
Known user

Post by phaseGlyn »

thanks for the contribution
spazed99
Known user

Post by spazed99 »

Yes it is the title, fuckers jumped the gun. Track listing / tour dates / full press release will be posted on
Friday. Release date is May 19th.
phaseGlyn
Known user

Post by phaseGlyn »

Thanks for the confirmation ... roll on Friday.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

That's swell news...what are the chances of getting some sort of downloadable pdf type document with clippings, press release & tour dates...that'd be nice.

Congratulations all at SPZ for the endeavour in making this new album.
Shoulders back, smash it
ronn109
Known user

Post by ronn109 »

heres the tracklisting according to play.com, and they say the 5th of may!
Though if the 19th is the word on the street I will go with that

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/3349664 ... oduct.html

so fridays the big day is it? Cool!
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

Ha! I like the title (sits nicely on the shelf next to Songs in G, AKA Pure Phase & RAH).
twentysixdollars
Known user

18 cuts! Ambitious! Several of them are called 'harmony #' - maybe Pure Phase-type connective tissue?
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Haha...spazed99 you maybe want to have a pen and paper ready for all the questions

My only one is to ask if there is anything significant about the release date?

...any sort of anniversary or anything...as i know he was ill about this time 3yrs ago. :arrow:
It's probably just the way it landed...i know...but then i like a bit of significance...one can hope.
Shoulders back, smash it
spazed99
Known user

Post by spazed99 »

No significance as far as I know on the release date. Artwork posted on play now is fairly representative although slightly different.
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

Did Farrow do the artwork this time?
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

How exciting is that! Wow 18 tracks and an amazing title. I want to hear it right now. Roll on Fridays press release and tour dates. Going to try and get to a few dates this time.

From the look of the artwork on Play those fonts are wrong to what Farrow normally uses. Spaceman's a helvetica man through and through and thats just a web interpretation in ariel. Not that ive seen the proper version. Just my initial view. Could be wrong...
Wah - Wah
Known user

Post by Wah - Wah »

the song titles reveal some well known words...

fire...

wash...

guess it is gonna be a very typical spaceman record
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Ok, i posted recently that i wasn't feeling any excitement towards the album whatsoever but that maybe that would change with release date, tracklisting and the like. Well it has. Just been sending texts to my mates with the news and feeling a tingling in my bones. Love the title too. Whatever the music sounds like on this one at least i know Spiritualized can still get the blood pumping with news of a new release! :D
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

If you're are looking for a bit of significance electronik you can look at the title as 'Songs in Accident and Emergency' if you like? The colour on the play site imediately struck me as hospitalesque, and it would make for an interesting doubling meaning.

Exciting News :D :!:
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

clewsr wrote:If you're are looking for a bit of significance electronik you can look at the title as 'Songs in Accident and Emergency' if you like? The colour on the play site imediately struck me as hospitalesque, and it would make for an interesting doubling meaning.

Hello clewsr...
Shoulders back, smash it
phaseGlyn
Known user

Post by phaseGlyn »

I've been copy and pasting all afternoon long on last.fm and sending out the odd text, I'm so lookin' forward to the electric mainline gigs.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

yes farrow/spaceman artwork.

M
Design.
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

Thanks Modlab

Hopefully they'll be a nice limited edition X-ray version or something.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

twentysixdollars wrote:18 cuts! Ambitious! Several of them are called 'harmony #' - maybe Pure Phase-type connective tissue?
:D That's exciting! What do you think-is it connected with vocal harmonies then, or what?!
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Excellent news!

Re: Harmony #x - perhaps something to do with the soundtrack he did for Harmony Korine's film? Snippets of that maybe? A bit tenuous, perhaps!
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

mc wrote:Excellent news!

Re: Harmony #x - perhaps something to do with the soundtrack he did for Harmony Korine's film? Snippets of that maybe? A bit tenuous, perhaps!

Ooh, that's a nice idea too! Could he do that, in terms of licensing and stuff? I'm really ignorant of copyright law... it doesn't matter how many times I've had the ins and outs of it explained to me I just can't get my head around it.
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

play.com wrote:
11. Baby I'm Just A Fool
YESSS!

Also, does this mean all the songs are in the keys of A or E ?

Uncut magazine....tsk.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

mc wrote:Re: Harmony #x - perhaps something to do with the soundtrack he did for Harmony Korine's film? Snippets of that maybe? A bit tenuous, perhaps!
the official release of the soundtrack is still on plan for the Drag City Records:
http://www.dragcity.com/news.html
drag DOWN to the upcoming.

will Jase really use the same stills??
really?? the same stuff as for the soundtrack???? :?
warmgun.
Known user

Post by warmgun. »

Nothing new to add here... but couldn't resist adding my own feelings of intrigue and excitement!

The various Harmony tracks really give me hope that this will be more than just another collection of really great songs (LICD, AG) but like 26$ said, something more along the lines of Pure Phase, where there was a signature sound that tied everything together.

Art-wise we went to the Pharmacy on LAGWAFIS and now it appears that we're taking a trip to the Hospital...
I wonder if there will be a thematically linked ltd. edition? :)
Zenchan
Known user

Post by Zenchan »

warmgun. wrote: Art-wise we went to the Pharmacy on LAGWAFIS and now it appears that we're taking a trip to the Hospital...
I wonder if there will be a thematically linked ltd. edition? :)
First-aid box :wink:
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Hopefully they'll be a nice limited edition X-ray version or something.
now that would be very cool!
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Zenchan wrote:
warmgun. wrote:I wonder if there will be a thematically linked ltd. edition? :)
First-aid box :wink:
hehhehh, right right, thats a good one.

i wonder - like with the LAGWAFIS pill thingy edition, there maybe was a brainstorm of ideas. not maybe, surely. so, what was left out if they (or just Jase alone) decided to go for the pill-box idea.....?
it was not Banksy, wasn't he, who provided those glassy pistons for many pharma photos?
i also remember seeing those things somewhere else. it's like with the statue on the front of the "Do it all" single. must have happened also that Jase found it in some gallery and liked it. and then it clicked.
what will click now for the possible therma issue?
ryandfl
Known user

Post by ryandfl »

I think we've pretty much confirmed the A&E hospital theme here, but I just wanted to bring up the website post from back in '05:

...A truly massive "Thank You" to all the Medical Staff and Nurses at The Royal London Hospital A&E...whom all worked so amazingly hard on his treatment and recovery....

So yeah. I feel it. It would be cool if the songs are also all in the keys of A and E, and it wouldn't shock me given his songwriting record, but I might go through some of the Boston MFA tracks and see how many of the new tracks fit the key signature, too.

Also, with respect to the copyright stuff someone brought up earlier, it depends on whether Jason retained the rights to the music he produced for the soundtrack. As it appears he's issuing A&E on his own label, he probably isn't transferring copyright titles to anyone right now, and he may have just licensed the compositions to the filmmaker for use as a soundtrack, which would allow him to use them on his record as well. Anyway, not really knowing anything about the license/copyright/management situation, it's hard to say, but it's certainly not out of the question. And obviously I don't know everything there is to know about European copyright laws.

I'm excited, and I'd like to echo the earlier congratulations to Jason and those with whom he worked on the new record.
bcastle21
Known user

Post by bcastle21 »

it's looking like there will be something here for everyone...

can we bring together the lovers of early and late era spiritualized with his best record in 10 years??? i think i feel it coming on...

i cannot WAIT to at least hear "Baby, I'm Just a Fool" electric....

:)
phaseGlyn
Known user

Post by phaseGlyn »

Just have to repeat that - I can't wait to hear an electric "Baby, I'm Just A Fool".
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

album cover :oops:
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

ronn109 wrote:heres the tracklisting according to play.com, and they say the 5th of may!
Though if the 19th is the word on the street I will go with that

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/3349664 ... oduct.html

so fridays the big day is it? Cool!
:roll: :shock:
I think I feel it coming on
warmgun.
Known user

Post by warmgun. »

burningwheel wrote:album cover :oops:
Really - maybe I just have a huge design crush of Farrow Design, but I quite like it - it makes me think of LAGWAFIS a little bit. As people have been speculating, it will be interesting to see what's inside...
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

i like it too. simple design.
and CANT WAIT!!
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

I admit - I'm very excited.
Some really cool new songs to look forward to. "Borrowed your gun" etc.

When I went to acoustic mainlines, I was a little bummed. Fantastic show, but I only heard 1 new song. I am looking forward to Death Take Your Fiddle, based on how this sounded on UK bootlegs. This track listing is super interesting, and it's good to know the promos are going out, it wasn't a big tease after all. I'm hoping for some limited edition vinyl. I think this album is going to be great. I wonder if it's going to have an acoustic mainlines sound to it, or if its going to sound more like Amazing Grace? A mix between Amazing Grace and Acoustic Mainlines? That would be cool wouldn't it.
twentysixdollars
Known user

The first thing that occured to me when I saw all those cuts called "Harmony" was actually a Mark Refoy song (like "Sway") that Spiritualized used to play during its earliest days. It eventually turned up on the first Slipstream album (whereas Spiritualized recorded "Sway", presumably because Jason wrote a good chunk of it, which wasn't true for "Harmony"). Not that I think these new transitional cuts have anything to do with that old song, but that's certainly what I thought upon first encountering the track listing.

I definitely like the look of the provisional artwork - but "A&E" tends to refer to "Arts & Entertainment" in America!

It feels weird to say it, but (purely on the basis of today's revelations) this is the most excited I've been about a Spiritualized album in ten years. Amazing Grace took me three years to 'get' - here's hoping this one sinks in quicker!
bcastle21
Known user

Post by bcastle21 »

haha...i was thinking "Biography".
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

ha, me too..
and, "A & P" the supermarket chain, as all day I've been trying to come up with more silly food puns (see Recurrying thread).

regardless, it's very nice news and I can't wait to hear the record!
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

I think Spaceman did the Harmony thing because he didn't want 3 songs with the word fire in it in a row. I guess this album has a fire theme going.
twentysixdollars
Known user

I mean, let's be honest, when I see a title like "Sittin' On Fire" my first thought is hemorrhoids.
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

twentysixdollars wrote:I mean, let's be honest, when I see a title like "Sittin' On Fire" my first thought is hemorrhoids.
That's the best quote ive read in awhile.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I can only reiterate everyones thoughts here- I'm very excited.

I thought the title was a bit lame initially but seeing the artwork I love it.

No Daniel Johnston covers made it (and rightly so) but I would have liked the funeral home bit to be on the end of Goodnight Goodnight maybe. :(

Also love the linking harmony parts idea. I think that the new songs I've heard are some of Jasons best compositions for years (as in best actual solid songwriting aside from the sonics or arrangements) but this other element could also bind the whole thing together thus uniting both camps of Spiritualized fans.
I'm imagining some sort of strung-out-hospital-bed-here-comes-the-white-tunnel sort of ambience overarching the whole thing.

on a side note, dseleven- I think you were just unlucky only hearing one new song at the concert you attended. 5 of these songs have been played live (or 6 actually cause there was another new one played on 2nd union chapel night apparantly- Mama Said which could be an alternate title for another one) making it the biggest chunk of new material played live for over a decade (only stop your crying was aired before LICD and only hold on before AG no?)
gersey
Known user

Post by gersey »

this has made my day
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

So the promos have been sent out, I'm hoping one comes my way!
ABOCA
Known user

Post by ABOCA »

Two of the new songs, (possibly five) have already been played live by "Electric" Spiritualized at The Sage back in May 2005 - the last "Electric" Spiritualized gig?. These were Baby I'm Just A Fool and Death Take Your Fiddle. The other three new songs played that night were Gonna Take More Than I Can Borrow, You Know About Life and Too Late. Anybody know if these three have been renamed or reworked or just dropped.
spazed99
Known user

Post by spazed99 »

UK May shows now announced on prescriptions
helm
Known user

Post by helm »

well this is the best news i've had in weeks!
phaseGlyn
Known user

Post by phaseGlyn »

Last edited by phaseGlyn on Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

great quote culled by ryandfl. while my first thoughrs went straight to "accident and emergency" a fear soon followed that it also refers to "acoustic and electric" and the worry that some of the new songs (specifically the aforementioned Baby I'm Just A Fool) won't be as electrified as i'd hoped. but what do i know?
am super excited though. harmony thing brings to mind recurring though again if it's a nod to the film soundtrack... whatever, it's all exciting.

listening to the newest song from that second union chapel gig, 'mama said' (as it was in the setlist). it could be any of those other songs simply renamed or awaiting legendary status as a bside. it's also plenty to do with fire so... it's nice. on that second union chapel boot. i'm excited. see you in belfast, whoever.

so happy to see that belfast date. good fun ahead.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

ABOCA wrote:Too Late.
this is most likely 'Mama Said' off the second union chapel show. "too late" appears frequently as the start of the chorus.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
bcastle21
Known user

Post by bcastle21 »

does anyone have a file of that new song "mama said" from the union chapel to share?

thanks ahead of time
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

This is such great news. Wow. Hell yes.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Any word on the US release date? Will it be the same as the European one?
Pat Garrett
Known user

Post by Pat Garrett »

Why is Pitchfork reporting the album title as "Song's in A&E"? Surely it's "Songs in A&E." Sorry to be a pedant, but these things are dreadfully important.
Zenchan
Known user

Post by Zenchan »

Today's Planet Sound states that Soul On Fire will be the lead single on May 3rd.

http://www.teletext.co.uk/entertainment ... usive.aspx

I do wonder if any Daniel Johnston covers will surface as b-sides . . .
Vostok
New user

Post by Vostok »

Don't know how to sleep on my own cause all of my dreams are for listen to this new record...
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

Zenchan wrote:Today's Planet Sound states that Soul On Fire will be the lead single on May 3rd.

http://www.teletext.co.uk/entertainment ... usive.aspx

I do wonder if any Daniel Johnston covers will surface as b-sides . . .
Or Spacemen re-recordings (Amen, anyone?)
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

clewsr wrote:If you're are looking for a bit of significance electronik you can look at the title as 'Songs in Accident and Emergency' if you like? The colour on the play site imediately struck me as hospitalesque, and it would make for an interesting doubling meaning.

and the fact that some of these songs are about jason being near death
b_neptune
New user

Post by b_neptune »

Hello everyone, this is my first post, sorry if this one's already been brought up. How about 'Songs in Acoustic & Electric'?
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

burningwheel wrote:...and the fact that some of these songs are about jason being near death
This is like the old White Stripes/Amazing Grace misquote nonsense. This is not 'fact' at all, unless in the loosest, 'internet-truth' sense of the word...

Someone who was in a position to know had said on here that the songs were written before J's illness, although it was mentioned how strange it was how many of them mentioned death - although it's not exactly a new Spiritualized theme, its been there since 'Walkin' with Jesus', aye?

One more time...electric 'Baby, I'm Just A Fool', yeehah! :D
twentysixdollars
Known user

Let's just say that these songs are about Jason's near-death experience in exactly the same sense that the songs on LAGWAFIS are about his breakup with Kate Radley. And that's that. It's not like anybody's gonna be talking about it in ten years, is it?

Is it?
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

This is all great news and easily my most anticipated album purchase of 2008!

I caught the London Acoustic Mainlines back in April '07 but it has been a while since I saw a full electric Spiritualized gig (hmmmm....Kentish Town Forum show 2004?).

Now that I am on the other side of the world I just hope they announce a full electric USA tour, and in particular, a date or two in the Pacific Northwest (hopefully if they come all the way over they will not skip over us for dates only in Seattle or Vancouver,BC!).

Fingers crossed.

RC
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

It's now Saturday, where it the press release?!