chrome dreams II

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

bunnyben
Known user

chrome dreams II

Post by bunnyben »

FINALY got round to listening to the album and what ana amzing album it is! nice one neil, still coming up with the gems!
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
LunarTunes
Known user

Re: chrome dreams II

Post by LunarTunes »

Yeah, I love that record, too! "Shining Light" actually reminds me of Spiritualized a little and is a gorgeous song. Some people think that "Ordinary People" doesn't fit in with the rest of the album. While I agree that the album maybe works better without it thematically and sonically, I wouldn't trade it for anything. That is a monster of a song and one of my favourites by Neil or anyone! Although Chrome Dreams II received mixed reviews, I think it's one of Neil's best in awhile and an under-appreciated 2007 album. Give it a listen, if you have the chance...

Peace.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Fantastic album. Looking forward to hearing some of it live next month, No Hidden Path is one of his best tracks to date!
LunarTunes
Known user

Post by LunarTunes »

^You're right about "No Hidden Path" being an instant Neil classic. And live, he takes it to a WHOLE other level. You're in for a treat :D ...

Peace.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

LunarTunes wrote:^You're right about "No Hidden Path" being an instant Neil classic. And live, he takes it to a WHOLE other level. You're in for a treat :D ...
agreed, it's incredible. plus it has the dubby bassline from the beginning of the boo radleys 'lazarus' :D
would love to catch him live...
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

i found it highly forgettable. the hype surrounding Ordinary People didn't help, though a fabulous track it's not the lost classic as reported and won't ever compete with down by the river on the recent fillmore release never mind expecting to fly or clancy can't even sing. there were one or two nice songs on the record, pleasantly distracting but on the whole it was too much like hard work.
that record he made about the war with let's impeach the president was much more fun. though so fun i can't remember it's name. but it was good.
i see he has lost the plot [again] with the archives release and they'll only be availible on dvd and blu-ray. nice one, neil.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Ordinary People drags a bit but it's good. No Hidden Path is fantastic though and if you think any differently you are a lunatic.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

bunnyben wrote:FINALLY got round to listening to the album and what an amazing album it is! nice one neil, still coming up with the gems!
I totally agree Ben. Only heard it over the weekend, and its been very enjoyable so far. To be fair, it would take a lot for Neil to let me down. And he's still got that wavering singing tone all these years later...i'm glad he has as well! Those long lunar guitar notes too... As long as he keeps coming out with the new stuff the Archives can take as long as they need. Young for President.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

anyone paid the extortionate prices to see Neil on the latest tour? I'm rueing my decision to not bother now after all this talk and seeing the amazing setlists.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I paid it. I am a bit worried that Cortez is not a regular feature. I'd like to see Heart of Gold too but that isn't being played much either.