First Impressions of Songs In A&E (spoiler alert)

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

bcastle21
Known user

Re: First Impressions of Songs In A&E (spoiler alert)

Post by bcastle21 »

wow that sounds great. what did you have before and how does this final mastered copy differ?
thinline
Known user

Post by thinline »

TheWarmth wrote:I received the final, mastered version of A&E this morning. It sounds 100 times better than the previous, unmastered version I had. Even "I Gotta Fire," my least favorite track, is now starting to appeal to me. I love the production on this album. It's a happy medium between LICD and AG, in terms of the overall sound, arrangements and production. I'm definitely not saying that as a whole it's a combination of LICD and AG; that's not the case. These songs fit into a totally different catagory, as far as I'm concerned. Fantastic.
Can I have your unmastered version? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hey man there's a hole in my reason that I gotta close...
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

The unmastered copy was a little sketchy, as the volumes of the songs differed quite a bit and for the most part it was very quiet (had to really push the volume on my iPod). Also, there were a few minor digital glitches here and there and for some moronic reason, "Sitting On Fire" was split into two tracks. Mastering makes a huge difference and the final version just sounds much bigger. I don't want to try to explain the mastering process, as I don't think I'd do it justice. Anyway, the bottom line is that I think most Spiritualized fans are going to flip over this record. It's fucking great.
A saint
Known user

Post by A saint »

Hmm. This seems to have leaked. I'm ambivalent about directing anyone to any links (although each and every last one of us is going to BUY this the day it comes out, right?) but those curious might visit the message board of certain other high profile English bands whose names rhyme with Lady-oDead.

Don't shoot the messenger (I sure as hell didn't upload it) and don't forget to buy, buy, buy.
the_wake
New user

Post by the_wake »

its also on libble.com if anyone is interested.
A saint
Known user

Post by A saint »

the_wake wrote:its also on libble.com if anyone is interested.
Nah. Why would anyone here be interested? It's just, y'know, a new Spiritualized album. That leaked.
fiddle of the death
New user

Post by fiddle of the death »

sounds better than Amazing Grace on the first spin

does anybody wants to compile the lyrics for the album? Im from Brazil, so im not that good with engRish.
Zenchan
Known user

Post by Zenchan »

First impression, it's largely brilliant (Sweet Talk is simply astonishing), but I'm not too keen on the garagey tracks (I Gotta Fire is really jarring after Death Take Your Fiddle).

As someone said in another thread when Soul On Fire got played on the radio, it's like a more dynamic version of Let It Come Down - the big songs have as much instrumentation going on, but they never feel like they are being weighed down or bloated.

And there's a special treat for Acoustic Mainlines fans in the last 30 seconds of Goodnight Goodnight :wink:
charles w
Known user

Post by charles w »

The only reason I'll grab it is that I enloy the gigs more if I'm familiar with the songs.

Can't understand why the May gigs are before the official release date of the record.
bcastle21
Known user

Post by bcastle21 »

i actually really enjoy the garag-y tracks on there. I Gotta Fire makes me think Jason is trying to do his best Bobby Gillespie impression.

After repeated listens, I cant see this leaving my player anytime soon. I think this album is a huge step forward for the band. Every track is great (even the Harmonies).

Baby I'm just a Fool....holy shit.
Waves Crash in....holy shit.

both of these are straight up instant classics imo.

and Yeah Yeah (with what I take must be the Dirtbombs) really impressed me as a well.

Borrowed Your Gun....great wind down song.

I expected greatness...but I am surprised at how great this actually is.

I think with repeated listens, this can win back a lot of the people who didn't like or "get" Amazing Graze...
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

It's a nice progression after Amazing Grace. Spaceman's voice seems to be sporting a bit of wear and tear these days but it adds to these songs for me. It seems so raw and emotional. Top notch stuff. Death Take Your Fiddle gives me the shivers.

Soul On Fire is outstanding.
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

Beautiful LP. I figure I lasted all of 2 hours before succumbing to the temptation - it was either that or 2 months..... (Still won't stop me buying it on release though :D )
Josh6773
Known user

Post by Josh6773 »

Where is everyone getting their copies of the album? Share? With anticipation......
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

After Acoustic Mainlines and the news of gospel singers coming out on the electric tour plus the write-ups that were posted a while back i had a feeling this album was just going to be a case of same ol' same ol'. Sorry to report that it's lived up/down to my expectations. Up until 'Baby i'm just a fool' i was seriously bored,alas that tune proved to be a false dawn as far as the rest of the album was concerned. On Baby... though he does seem to be trying for a Feel so Sad crescendo which is fine i'm just not sure if it should've been tacked onto the end of that particular tune.
The Harmony tracks are completely pointless adding nothing whatsoever. So contrary to popular opinion i would say if you didn't like LICD or AG, well you ain't gonna like this either.
Maybe i just wasn't in the right mood for it, i dunno. I'm hoping my view will change after repeated listens, the only problem is i really don't see myself being in any rush to listen to this one again.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
the_wake
New user

Post by the_wake »

if anyone wants an invite to libble.com to grab the new album send me a pm with your email.
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

looking forward to hearing this lights out with a beer/brandy/rum later in my usual ritual. first time i've succombed to a leak but cannot wait. will be buying all forats as usual.
ps - if anyone wants to sell the Spectrum/Stereolab 7" get in touch as its the one thing lacking in my sp3 etc collection
bcastle21
Known user

Post by bcastle21 »

sunray wrote:After Acoustic Mainlines and the news of gospel singers coming out on the electric tour plus the write-ups that were posted a while back i had a feeling this album was just going to be a case of same ol' same ol'. Sorry to report that it's lived up/down to my expectations. Up until 'Baby i'm just a fool' i was seriously bored,alas that tune proved to be a false dawn as far as the rest of the album was concerned. On Baby... though he does seem to be trying for a Feel so Sad crescendo which is fine i'm just not sure if it should've been tacked onto the end of that particular tune.
The Harmony tracks are completely pointless adding nothing whatsoever. So contrary to popular opinion i would say if you didn't like LICD or AG, well you ain't gonna like this either.
Maybe i just wasn't in the right mood for it, i dunno. I'm hoping my view will change after repeated listens, the only problem is i really don't see myself being in any rush to listen to this one again.

completely disagree. not to take anything away from your opinion.

these songs are wonderful imo...but then again i love LICD and Amazing Grace. I really don't think that is a prerequisite for liking this album though...while it doesn't have the same vibe as the early releases, it really is still quite the head trip though.

i love his forays into the avant garde and experimental, so I think the harmony interludes are nice segues...if the Mister Lonely soundtrack is anything like this I think I'd really enjoy that as well.
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

FWIW...........
The new album got leaked.
Listening to it in its entirety now.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

A saint wrote:...those curious might visit the message board of certain other high profile English bands whose names rhyme with Lady-oDead.
That's a message board? That is fuckin' awful...geeks. :lol:

I'm actually trying to hone my skills before joining. :arrow:
Shoulders back, smash it
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

Josh6773 wrote:Where is everyone getting their copies of the album? Share? With anticipation......
I got mine from Google. ;)
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Last edited by Multi on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
bcastle21
Known user

Post by bcastle21 »

i LIKE i gotta fire. i've found it stuck in my head most of the day.

in fact if i could make any complaints, i'd say i wish those garage-ish tracks were longer....
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

First listen: didn't think much of it.

Second listen: FUCKING LOVE IT.
ThiefofFire
Known user

Post by ThiefofFire »

I absolutely love it... my expectations were very high and it exceeded them

I can't decide on a favorite track yet but out of the 'new' songs (the ones I hadn't heard on the bootlegs) 'Don't Hold Me Close' really stands out for some reason

Much of the album, in particular the second half, has a very peaceful feeling to it. 'Goodnight Goodnight' is a perfect album closer and a lovely lullaby... I was a bit surprised that the 'Funeral Home' bit was included. I can barely imagine how it'd feel to listen to the album if Jason hadn't survived his illness
Josh6773
Known user

Post by Josh6773 »

Thanks for the heads up. Google served me well.
noOne
Known user

Post by noOne »

bcastle21 wrote:I Gotta Fire makes me think Jason is trying to do his best Bobby Gillespie impression.
I Gotta Fire reminds me a bit of somthing that could
have been on one of Supergrass' last few albums.
Lord Please Fuck My Mind For Good
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

"Death Take Your Fiddle" is such a powerful song. Listening to it gives me the chills. It's a fucking masterpiece. The sounds of breathing are subtle and mechanical enough to be considered an instrument in the song. At the same time they beat the shit out of the fact of what Jason went through (which I think is a good thing). Lyrically, the words mean so much more than I had originally thought. I think this is the closest to Jason's "experience" than any of the others. Just like some songs on LAGWFIS, it is brutally honest and raw--aspects that take Spiritualized far and above any other artist in rock music.

I fucking love it.
throb
Known user

Post by throb »

On the whole I think I like it. I think it's the best of the latter three albums.

The strings to "Baby I'm just a fool" are almost exactly the same as "All of my Tears" from Pure Phase to these ears. Genius track.

It's just a rush to hear a new Spiritualized album! I'd begun to doubt...
SPZ outpatients - forum radio on LAST.FM
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

bcastle21 wrote:i actually really enjoy the garag-y tracks on there. I Gotta Fire makes me think Jason is trying to do his best Bobby Gillespie impression.
someone say bobby g?
didn't i say he'd been hanging around that guy too much?? :wink:
well anyway, in tribute to the new album i'll re-upload the bobby g song. :D

http://download.yousendit.com/135D2A6C20D3D499
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Hahahaha.

I've played this song for friends, but I'm sad to say that I haven't found anyone who finds it as funny as I do.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Am I the only one who got a bit unsettled listening to Death Take Your Fiddle? Maybe it was just due to listening through the 'phones? Spooked me right out, I almost had to skip to the next track!

Overall, on a an almost complete first listen, I like it but I'm not sure I'm going to grow to love it. Baby I'm Just a Fool is fantastic, no other word for it. A few others passed me by a bit, although of course you can't judge things on first listen. All in all I'd say it was Jason's least bombastic album since Lazer Guided, which for me is a good thing.

With so many strings swirling around, it's going to be interesting to see how they do it live - maybe Doggen and John Coxon are alreayd holed up in a deep basement somewhere desperately learning how to play violin.... :wink:

As for the fact it leaked and I grabbed it - I don't feel too bad, since I'll be getting the new album on CD and vinyl like I have with every other thing Spiritualized have ever released....
throb
Known user

Post by throb »

Greeny wrote:...I like it but I'm not sure I'm going to grow to love it...
Yeah, that's kinda where I am with it.
SPZ outpatients - forum radio on LAST.FM
Horrorflick
Known user

Post by Horrorflick »

Yep, I grabbed it up too. Not that I'm worried some "glitch" in distribution is going to make this album some kind of weird "import only" thing you can only get in (certain parts of) Great Britain and Australia or some other shit like that. I like it a little bit more than Amazing Grace, less than LICD and a whole lot less than LGM or LAGWAFIS. This might be a terrible thing to say, but I was kinda missing the more "druggy" stuff. Definitely some excellent songwriting though...
Phased Out
Known user

Post by Phased Out »

downloaded today whilst waiting for vinyl to be released

i like it. without a doubt my fave since Ladies ...

should do well for J fingers crossed, and then he may come back up to the Midlands for a show (Wolvo please!)

:D
ribblemanilla
Known user

Post by ribblemanilla »

Holy fuck. It's really good.
Vindaloo
Known user

Post by Vindaloo »

Greeny wrote:Am I the only one who got a bit unsettled listening to Death Take Your Fiddle? Maybe it was just due to listening through the 'phones? Spooked me right out, I almost had to skip to the next track!
It freaked me out as well - My first listen to the album covered almost my entire journey to work this morning and I was sitting on the top deck of a bus going thorugh Croydon town centre.... I think the earphones brought the breathing close enough for it to feel like it was yourself on the respirator! I really love the way that the breathing goes on to slot in nicely with the overall sound. As for the track itself - not actually that struck on it really, after a couple of listens.

I dont dislike the record but Im finding the songs are lacking depth - most of them dont really seem to go anywhere. Maybe it will take time for me to find the essence of the record, but Im finding it underwhelming in this regard. I love the overall production though, it sounds fresh - and the musicianship is generally excellent. Although the bass intro to 'Sweet Talk' sounds like it's been played by a guitar player and just sounds wrong to me! And the drums seem very low in the mix during many parts of the record! The vibes on 'Baby Im Just A Fool' are very odd.

I would even go as far to say that it sounds plastic at times.... but cant even really decide if thats a bad thing. To me, JP has sustained musical progression in that it does again sound completely unique alongside all the other Spiritualized records and I think this deserves merit. And it does come across as very much a band effort to me (despite the layered vocals and strings and more deliberate production).

I think repeated listens will bring more out of the record... I look forward to buying the CD (and vinyl if possible) and hearing it in it's full glory.......
noOne
Known user

Post by noOne »

moop wrote:
bcastle21 wrote:i actually really enjoy the garag-y tracks on there. I Gotta Fire makes me think Jason is trying to do his best Bobby Gillespie impression.
someone say bobby g?

WOW!!!!
that song is absolutely terrible.
is this some kind of joke?
still, the shit is WACK!!!!.
davvew
New user

Post by davvew »

Does anyone else find themselves reminded of Townes Van Zandt's "Waiting around to Die" when they listen to "Death Take Your Fiddle"?

I know some people think rooting out influences are taboo, but I rather enjoy it.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

davvew wrote:Does anyone else find themselves reminded of Townes Van Zandt's "Waiting around to Die" when they listen to "Death Take Your Fiddle"?
I was thinking the same thing. In addition, I feel a lot of Springsteen doing the Seeger stuff in the new songs. Even though Springsteen is far from being the originator, it still feels a lot like the Seeger album.
davvew
New user

Post by davvew »

I'm not really that familiar with Springsteen's material, are you referring to the Seeger sessions? I might have to make a purchase tomorrow. What do you think of his voice on this record? I saw some post that said he was losing his voice. When I listen to the record version of "sitting on fire" it does sound pretty weak. However, when you listen to some acoustic mainlines gigs, it sounds "better", a lot stronger at least, than on the album. Hmm... can't say I understand everything Spaceman does.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

noOne wrote:
moop wrote:
someone say bobby g?

WOW!!!!
that song is absolutely terrible.
is this some kind of joke?
still, the shit is WACK!!!!.
of course it's a joke. :roll:
calm down or i'll upload my dylan remix. :!:
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

okay, i'm gonna try and resist the album until May, but I still have a few nagging questions for you people whose ears have been blessed:

- can you give me the times for each song? how long are they?

-which one has the Dirtbombs on it or was that just a rumour?

- any ideas on who is actually in the band at the mo? (either by any credits on promo copies or just intuition through listening) Is Coxon still in there? This could be the most static Spz lineup ever.
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

Times are:

Harmony 1 00:24
Sweet Talk 04:04
Death Take Your fiddle 03:13
I Gotta Fire 02:28
Soul On Fire 04:08
Harmony 2 00:42
Sitting on Fire 04:38
Yeah Yeah 02:28
You Lie You Cheat 03:04
Harmony 3 00:18
Baby I'm Just A Fool 07:07
Don't Hold Me Close 03:08
Harmony 4 01:32
Waves Crash In 04:09
Harmony 5 01:03
Borrowed Your Gun 03:47
Harmony 6 00:51
Goodnight Goodnight 04:38

Don't know about the line-up, but I'd be surprised if it had changed. :D
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

cheers buddy. Wow the songs are rather short.

Just wondered about JC as he didn't play the Sage in '05 and the new uncut interview seems to refer to him as an ex member.
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

Vindaloo wrote:I dont dislike the record but Im finding the songs are lacking depth - most of them dont really seem to go anywhere. Maybe it will take time for me to find the essence of the record, but Im finding it underwhelming in this regard.
Me too - I'm disappointed with the album, overall. I'm useless at describing music in words, so I won't try a long review. I've given it 5 or 6 listens, and would place it better than 'Amazing Grace', but lower than all the other albums.

Highpoints
- 'Death take your fiddle', 'Soul on Fire' are great tracks
- 'Borrowed Your Gun' is good - the first line of lyrics grabs you

Lowpoints
- most of the songs, you only have to listen to the first 20 seconds, and you know exactly where the song is going. There's very few suprises or shifts in tempo/direction. Now go and listen to 'Angel Sigh', 'Don't Just Do Something', 'Let It Flow', 'Cop Shoot Cop' etc.
- the 'Harmony' tracks are fairly pointless fillers - compare it to the wonderful way the tracks in 'Pure Phase' are segued.
- The garage rock of 'I Gotta Fire' (my nomination for weakest Spz song ever) 'Yeah Yeah' and 'You Lie You Cheat' are too 'Amazing Grace' for me. Jason's voice, as well, really grates on these tracks. It hasn't improved with age.
- The "haven't I heard this before?" feeling on some tracks. 'Baby I'm Just a Fool' - well, another version of 'Walkin With Jesus' never harms, I suppose... 'The Waves Crash In' sounds like 'Stop Your Crying' plus some 'Cool Waves' like lyrics. 'Goodnight Goodnight' has the last-track 'Lord Can You Hear Me' placement similar to 'Let It Come Down'. It's a nice little lullaby, but nowhere near the emotional power of 'Lord Can You Hear Me'.

So it's nice to hear new material, it's an improvement on the last album, and I'm glad some people are digging it. But based on the last two albums, I don't think we're ever going to see a return to the glory days of 'Lazer Guided Melodies' or 'Ladies & Gentlemen..'
jb
Known user

Post by jb »

I agree, first listen and it feels a bit dull bar a few great tracks others have mentioned. J has his wounded/weary bluesman voice on quite a few tracks and he sounded a lot better on some of the recent live bootlegs than on this.
SpacemanRob
Known user

Post by SpacemanRob »

I think it is a great album and surpassed all my expectations. Nothing will ever replace the high of LAGWAFIS but then nothing ever got higher than The Perfect Prescription.
For me all the best albums are when you want to listen from start to finish and this album i am enjoying continually all the way through. Obvious stand out songs such as 'Soul On Fire' and 'Death...' .
Quite like JS bluesy voice and almost a Dylan vibe as you listen.

Thanks for a great album and much needed this year. Next high will be having it on vinyl!
luiandlui
New user

Post by luiandlui »

should do well for J fingers crossed, and then he may come back up to the Midlands for a show (Wolvo please!)
Agree with this, a Wolvo show would be just dandy !!

Just finished my first listen to the new album and it sounds good if not great. The garagey tracks are much better than on AG but I'm struggling to find any tracks that really stand out, maybe that will come with time.
noOne
Known user

Post by noOne »

Jebus Sabes wrote:The garage rock of 'I Gotta Fire' (my nomination for weakest Spz song ever) 'Yeah Yeah' and 'You Lie You Cheat' are too 'Amazing Grace' for me. Jason's voice, as well, really grates on these tracks. It hasn't improved with age.
i like all of those, and i think they will all end
up being highlights when they play them live.
especially Yeah, Yeah.
Lord Please Fuck My Mind For Good
bcastle21
Known user

Post by bcastle21 »

Jebus Sabes wrote: Me too - I'm disappointed with the album, overall. I'm useless at describing music in words, so I won't try a long review. I've given it 5 or 6 listens, and would place it better than 'Amazing Grace', but lower than all the other albums.

Highpoints
- 'Death take your fiddle', 'Soul on Fire' are great tracks
- 'Borrowed Your Gun' is good - the first line of lyrics grabs you

Lowpoints
- most of the songs, you only have to listen to the first 20 seconds, and you know exactly where the song is going. There's very few suprises or shifts in tempo/direction. Now go and listen to 'Angel Sigh', 'Don't Just Do Something', 'Let It Flow', 'Cop Shoot Cop' etc.
- the 'Harmony' tracks are fairly pointless fillers - compare it to the wonderful way the tracks in 'Pure Phase' are segued.
- The garage rock of 'I Gotta Fire' (my nomination for weakest Spz song ever) 'Yeah Yeah' and 'You Lie You Cheat' are too 'Amazing Grace' for me. Jason's voice, as well, really grates on these tracks. It hasn't improved with age.
- The "haven't I heard this before?" feeling on some tracks. 'Baby I'm Just a Fool' - well, another version of 'Walkin With Jesus' never harms, I suppose... 'The Waves Crash In' sounds like 'Stop Your Crying' plus some 'Cool Waves' like lyrics. 'Goodnight Goodnight' has the last-track 'Lord Can You Hear Me' placement similar to 'Let It Come Down'. It's a nice little lullaby, but nowhere near the emotional power of 'Lord Can You Hear Me'.

So it's nice to hear new material, it's an improvement on the last album, and I'm glad some people are digging it. But based on the last two albums, I don't think we're ever going to see a return to the glory days of 'Lazer Guided Melodies' or 'Ladies & Gentlemen..'

Ok...he will never again make another Lazer Guided or Ladies and Gentlemen or Pure Phase

I think this is far less experimental than previous efforts. But, to me, that doesn't make it any worse...it just makes it something new for him. I enjoy the album from start to finish...I will defend those garage tracks because while maybe not original sounding, I like that sound coming from this band.

I won't lie, I'd love to hear another album from him that sounds like one of the past classics...but it aint going to happen.

I mean did anyone really expect it would?

I give props to J and the rest of the guys for taking the time, effort, and money (not to mention heart and soul) to provide us with another wonderful experience in sound.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

angelsighs wrote:cheers buddy. Wow the songs are rather short.

Just wondered about JC as he didn't play the Sage in '05 and the new uncut interview seems to refer to him as an ex member.
what interview?
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

its in latest uncut- with Led Zep on cover.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

bunnyben wrote: what interview?
From the news section, posted on the 27th of March;

'27.03.08 | Uncut / NME / video

The latest edition of Uncut is running an interview with J Spaceman, it has Led Zeppelin on the cover.

Next weeks NME will also be running a feature.

The video for Soul On Fire is currently being shot in Iceland. There will be clips / stills up on the site in the coming weeks.'
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

Alright, so my first impression is similar to my reaction to the single. I think it is an amazing record, a pop record masterfully and meaningfully done. Full of excellent song writing, emotion and loads of variation. I think it's kind of perfect actually. Of course I'll have to give it time to see how and where it grows...

The Harmony things are amazing. Can I have an album's worth of each please? :D

'Death Take Your Fiddle' is so exactly right up my street, I don't know even what to say about it. The perfect song, and the mix closest to my own taste out of everything he's ever done. I was pleasantly surprised by the bass line too.

I love the vocals. Singers and voices age. Some do it well and other's don't. I like how Jason's voice sounds nowadays. I like the huskiness, dirt and fragility on the record. Like someone else said, live he's sounded very good lately, perhaps better than in a long time. So it seems we're getting both. I'm not about to complain over variation and diversity. Most artist always sound the same and it bores the pants off me.

Some people have not liked the rockier numbers, I really can't relate to those comments. I can't hear anything wrong with them. (edit: I don't mean that to sound like some sort of weird, faint praise. I'm just confused by some of the criticism and would like to understand specifically what people are talking about).

There was a comment by a poster on it not being experimental enough. As in, no tempo changes, changes in direction, development, and so forth. I can't see anything experimental about doing the same thing over and over again. He's already done that and doing something different is far more experimental than re-doing' the same so called experiments over and over again. Writing a great, simple song is far more difficult in my opinion. One of the hardest things to get right as a song writer is simplicity. Even if you can write a proper song (and few can) then the pitfalls of banality, cheesiness and rip offs are there to navigate. And to write something that gets straight to the point without the music having to rely on layering and hiding behind sonic effects or fancy modulations or whatever. I like layering, sonic effects, tempo changes, musical progression and all those kind of things ... but really, they're the easy part in my opinion. Also, there is still some of that in there, but perhaps not as in your face as before.
I agree with Vindaloo on the 'plastic' sounding production, accidental or intentional I think it fits perfectly with the tunes- it melts together with the songs rather than sticking out as sounding as production. But maybe that's because it actually is well produced. Or maybe it's more sophisticated? Or it could be the opposite reason and it's cheaper production (edit: I don't mean to use that word in a derogatory way).
I'm not sure...I can't make my mind up on that point. I just know I think it's appropriate to the material.

Anyways, these are just my personal opinions and observations...

Oh yeah- and it makes me happy too!
Last edited by sunny on Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

sunny wrote:
That's the clincher...everytime. Can't wait to hear it...how long now?
Shoulders back, smash it
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

It's me again - In my opinion this is gold standard Spiritualized. Instant classic, miniature symphony. Jason outdid himself. This is my favorite Spiritualized album to listen to right now, I will definitely be buying one or two on vinyl. First time in years I'll get all the singles. He did cut the songs short which always makes for some amazing interpretations on singles/B-Sides/Live gigs. Awesome. Almost every time Jason used a fade out on Lazer Guided Melodies, we got something cool on a single. So I have MORE to look forward to.

This album has all new material! When Ladies and Gentlemen came out, I already had a couple of the tracks as Pure Phase b-sides (Stay With Me, The Individual), Electricity, Come Together, and Cop Shoot Cop all had been live standards for years. For that reason alone, I prefer it over Ladies and Gentlemen. On top of that, the production of the whole gospel/blues thing just sounds better on this album (to me). Sounds like classic soul/blues recordings. I remember reading interviews when Ladies and Gentlemen came out, this sounds like what he was talking about. Sweet talk was stuck in my head when I woke up this morning, I had to listen to it in order to get out of bed. That's a very good sign.

The rockers are amazing. You've got gospel singers, acoustic guitars, fuzz-wah, what else do you want in a 3 minute song? Oh yeah, claps and snaps buried in the mix. YEAH! I'm sure some folks would like to hear These Blues or Lay Back in the Sun over and over again, Jason already said he could make 10 albums like Pure Phase. Quiet/Loud/Quiet. Done before. I love those songs, sure, but I don't find myself listening to something from 1995 that much anymore. This is new! So many tracks buried in that 3 minutes, so much to listen to. These songs don't sound, "garage" to me at all. Futuristic rock n' roll! Much clearer yet fuzzier than a rockers like These Blues or Lay Back in the Sun. You Lie You Cheat! Yeah Yeah Get it On! Play 'em loud and drive fast, whatever! I wish they were longer, but that will make for an AMAZING live show at the Hollywood Bowl. Can't wait. His voice sounds rally cool to me. Much better than a man on speed yelling at me through a telephone (the Amazing Grace effect). I love it.

The songs that were played as, "Acoustic Mainlines" appear as far superior, definitive versions. No point in holding my breath for an Acoustic Mainlines release. You get an acoustic guitar, electric guitar, and trippy sounds (is that a crack hit through a breathing machine?!) Probably not, but this beats any acoustic version I heard. And YES, only one or two tracks are about DRUGS! Great news.

I wasn't a big fan of Baby I'm a Fool (Walkin' With Jesus 2008?) at first, but I'm not going to complain. Makes me appreciate the shorter tracks (just kidding). One of the only Spiritualized albums without a Spacemen 3 cover, AND this is the only Spiritualized song that makes my friend Sarah happy. She calls it the doo da doo song and sings along in the car on first listen. Can't beat that!

The interludes are the best. Think of a backwards Pure Phase. That time you got some feedback in between mellow tracks, now you get some mellow spacey, soundtrack sounding stuff in between hard rockers. Great idea. Sounds really cool super loud in the car! Will stand the test of time as a great listen all the way through. Trust me...They will grow on you.

I'm sure I left out some of my ideas, but that about covers it for me. Love this album so much, don't understand why there are so many complainers. I guess I've been a long time Spiritualized fan. People who came in because they loved Amazin Grace might not love it as much as me. This one hit me as a great album right off the bat. I haven't felt that way since I heard Pure Phase. Anyway, carry on...
Last edited by dselevan2 on Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bcastle21
Known user

Post by bcastle21 »

sunny wrote:Alright, so my first impression is similar to my reaction to the single. I think it is an amazing record, a pop record masterfully and meaningfully done. Full of excellent song writing, emotion and loads of variation. I think it's kind of perfect actually. Of course I'll have to give it time to see how and where it grows...

'Death Take Your Fiddle' is so exactly right up my street, I don't know even what to say about it. The perfect song, and the mix closest to my own taste out of everything he's ever done. I was pleasantly surprised by the bass line too.

I love the vocals. Singers and voices age. Some do it well and other's don't. I like how Jason's voice sounds nowadays. I like the huskiness, dirt and fragility on the record. Like someone else said, live he's sounded very good lately, perhaps better than in a long time. So it seems we're getting both. I'm not about to complain over variation and diversity. Most artist always sound the same and it bores the pants off me.

Some people have not liked the rockier numbers, I really can't relate to those comments. I can't hear anything wrong with them. (edit: I don't mean that to sound like some sort of weird, faint praise. I'm just confused by some of the criticism and would like to understand specifically what people are talking about).

There was a comment by a poster on it not being experimental enough. As in, no tempo changes, changes in direction, development, and so forth. I can't see anything experimental about doing the same thing over and over again. He's already done that and doing something different is far more experimental than re-doing' the same so called experiments over and over again. Writing a great, simple song is far more difficult in my opinion. One of the hardest things to get right as a song writer is simplicity. Even if you can write a proper song (and few can) then the pitfalls of banality, cheesiness and rip offs are there to navigate. And to write something that gets straight to the point without the music having to rely on layering and hiding behind sonic effects or fancy modulations or whatever. I like layering, sonic effects, tempo changes, musical progression and all those kind of things ... but really, they're the easy part in my opinion. Also, there is still some of that in there, but perhaps not as in your face as before.
I agree with Vindaloo on the 'plastic' sounding production, accidental or intentional I think it fits perfectly with the tunes- it melts together with the songs rather than sticking out as sounding as production. But maybe that's because it actually is well produced. Or maybe it's more sophisticated? Or it could be the opposite reason and it's cheaper production (edit: I don't mean to use that word in a derogatory way).
I'm not sure...I can't make my mind up on that point. I just know I think it's appropriate to the material.

AMEN.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

bcastle21 wrote:
sunny wrote:Alright, so my first impression is similar to my reaction to the single. I think it is an amazing record, a pop record masterfully and meaningfully done. Full of excellent song writing, emotion and loads of variation. I think it's kind of perfect actually. Of course I'll have to give it time to see how and where it grows...

AMEN.
HALLELUJAH!
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

After reading about this "breathing machine" effect on Death Take Your Fiddle, I read in the Uncut interview that it's actually an accordian being played without any keys pressed. And the NME interview this week is good as well, with a great full page pic of Jason with those big things on stands that you get in operating theatres (is my medical background that obvious? :wink: ).
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

BzaInSpace wrote:
sunny wrote:
eleKtroniK:musiK wrote: I'd be keen to hear a review. Also I see Tricky Kids ol' bit has a new long player out soon. It's been too long since the charcoal-chocolate chanteuse was on the scene.
http://www.myspace.com/martinatopleybird
Maybe with the new emphasis on "female factor" she'll gain a bit of a broad acceptance...
That's so weird, I was just thinking about Martina yesterday...I was reminiscing about my first recording session- which was recording her vocal for one of Tricky's early b-sides ('Abbaon Fat Tracks') and how I'd thought it was easy. Of course it was not easy- she's the one who made it easy because of how naturally good her voice is. I always expected her to have mega acclaim... but it never quite happened to the degree she deserves.
Diverting off course here but that's Ok cause that's such a cool story! I love that tune - you recorded that vocal Sunny??!! - astonishing. A real mellow number that one. Nostalgic to me in the best sense. Tucked away on the b-side of Maxinquaye as well. She should have had mega-acclaim, one of the best modern 'voices' I can think of.

Martina, her first solo album is a cracker. Q.O.T.S.A, Tricky and Mark Lanegan are on it but its all hers. I think i've said it before but even the minute-long 'Intro' beats most artists 'careers' to a bloody pulp - I still put that on comps and never get bored of it. Spine-chilling and unique. See also 'Too Young To Die', 'Ragga' etc. Classic. A lost classic maybe but time is on her side.

Tricky? Let the thread begin, he deserves it. His third LP is an all-time dark, grindhouse classic.

TBC

X
Whilst on this subject (kinda) and something i left in another thread...Leila (recent Warp addition/performing Sonar 2008) has a few friends on her myspace...check out "marterry"...now, chins and stroking hands (hmmm) at the ready could there be a clue in the title to her friends? :arrow:

http://www.myspace.com/leilaarab

Also something that actually (IMO) goes beyond the vibe messrs Lennon/McCartney were trying to create...again the clue is in the title...
Shoulders back, smash it
A saint
Known user

Post by A saint »

Boy. I really didn't like this much at all when I first heard it, for all the reasons enumerated by different people upthread: J's voice seemed shot, the tunes seemed like retreads (or some of them did), etc etc. How wrong I was. The more I listen, the better it seems: the ballads, and J's voice, seem indescribably poignant and the uptempo ones seem...actually very strong. I don't mind "I Gotta Fire" at all, and the others--"Yeah Yeah" sounds like the track with the Dirtbombs, incidentally--are better yet. LICD seemed overegged to me, where AG sounded half-assed. This splits the difference just perfectly: the arrangements are masterful, the whole thing detailed and rich (in its own way, just as the first two albums were) without sounding fussed over or excessively fucked with. This just gets better with each listen.

Incidentally, it's also fun to go back to that little promo clip that was posted ages ago and recognize "You Lie You Cheat" by its parts.
Phased Out
Known user

Post by Phased Out »

bandwagon jumper !!!

:lol:
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

I just have a second here, I wrote a long review above. I had to create an account just to say how great this album is going to be (we really don't know if these, "leaked" versions are final). Remember, the promo copy of Ladies and Gentlemen had to be changed before its final release. That said, I've really enjoyed this, "leaked album" from my first listen of some shady mix of an internet radio track to my last listen on my way to work today (my full review is above). I like going to bed to this album, I like driving around to this album, I like waking up to this album. I simply love the Harmony tracks, they make me look at my stereo and smile. Especially when driving around, these tracks are really fun. This whole album makes me smile. I finally got to Don't Hold Me Close, what a beautiful song! Has Jason done a duet like this before?

love to all,

Dave
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

sunny wrote:
bunnyben wrote: what interview?
From the news section, posted on the 27th of March;

'27.03.08 | Uncut / NME / video

The latest edition of Uncut is running an interview with J Spaceman, it has Led Zeppelin on the cover.

Next weeks NME will also be running a feature.

The video for Soul On Fire is currently being shot in Iceland. There will be clips / stills up on the site in the coming weeks.'
cheers! picked up both the nme and uncut today, cheers
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

dselevan2 wrote:
bcastle21 wrote:

AMEN.
HALLELUJAH!
TESTIFY!
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

don't sweet talk like and angel is its so thin i keep falling with a heart full of lies and the devil makes good use for these hands of mine