First Impressions of Songs In A&E (spoiler alert)

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

dselevan2
Known user

Re: First Impressions of Songs In A&E (spoiler alert)

Post by dselevan2 »

bunnyben wrote:
sunny wrote:
bunnyben wrote: what interview?
From the news section, posted on the 27th of March;

'27.03.08 | Uncut / NME / video

The latest edition of Uncut is running an interview with J Spaceman, it has Led Zeppelin on the cover.

Next weeks NME will also be running a feature.

The video for Soul On Fire is currently being shot in Iceland. There will be clips / stills up on the site in the coming weeks.'
cheers! picked up both the nme and uncut today, cheers
Any chance of getting a digital copy up for us?
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

so they finally made their blues-pop album..
Definitely their least original album to date, but that´s not necessarily bad.

and we already knew there would be a whole bunch of poppy lullabies which is nice but.. I thought there´d be at least 20 mins of non-campfire music.

soul on fire is worse than everything on AG except lord let it rain which was the relative stinker on that album imo..
nothing horrible about it (soul) - just lacking in originality and I expect more from SPZ.
guess it´s a good choice for a single - the most bland track :roll:

I like the record but pretty sure this is not an album that would have won me over if I had not been a longtime fan.
Fiddle, sittingonfire and waves (outtake from basil pouledoris score to conan?) managed to pierce the kevlar around my heart immediately so I´ll buy it just for that and regard the rest of it and whatever it does later as pure bonus.
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
bcastle21
Known user

Post by bcastle21 »

A saint wrote:This just gets better with each listen.

very true.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Am I the only one who thinks Sweet Talk is about Sonic Boom? Maybe it is about American Politics, on further listening I don't think it is that literal. I think it refers to the song Angel, Revolution, and the battle between these two ex-colleagues. I was rather bummed out by the Spacemen 3 biography, I didn't realized how much these two fellows hated each other. Anyhow, why would anyone say George Bush, "sweet talk's like an angel?" And he talks nothing like his parents. I just don't see that it is about Iraq. From what I've heard, Pete was pretty close with his parents. I don't really know why Jason would decide to write a song about Spacemen 3 after all these years, but I really don't think it is about Iraq as other people have written about in record reviews. Please correct me if I'm wrong...
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

scratch wrote: soul on fire is worse than everything on AG except lord let it rain which was the relative stinker on that album imo..

...managed to pierce the kevlar around my heart immediately so I´ll buy it just for that and regard the rest of it and whatever it does later as pure bonus.
Excellent. Why's your heart so hard?
Shoulders back, smash it
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

dselevan2 wrote:Am I the only one who thinks Sweet Talk is about Sonic Boom? Maybe it is about American Politics, on further listening I don't think it is that literal. I think it refers to the song Angel, Revolution, and the battle between these two ex-colleagues. I was rather bummed out by the Spacemen 3 biography, I didn't realized how much these two fellows hated each other. Anyhow, why would anyone say George Bush, "sweet talk's like an angel?" And he talks nothing like his parents. I just don't see that it is about Iraq. From what I've heard, Pete was pretty close with his parents. I don't really know why Jason would decide to write a song about Spacemen 3 after all these years, but I really don't think it is about Iraq as other people have written about in record reviews. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Who knows what it was originally about. It could be someone/something specific or something/someone fictional or a composite of things. Does it really matter? It can be applied to whatever you want. Lyrics are hopefully universal enough so that most of us can relate to them. I know what it is for me- I've dedicated this one to my flat mate... my longest standing friend (?) and foe. I am very good at 'keeping my enemies closer'.
I used to aim Dylan's 'Positively 4th St' at her, now I have a new track I can play in her honour... :lol:
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Totally agree, it doesn't matter what the song is about. I guess I'm just kind of shocked - some reviewer said it was about Iraq, and now everyone who doesn't have the album thinks Jason is going political. It's just kind of ridiculous.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

dselevan2 wrote:Totally agree, it doesn't matter what the song is about. I guess I'm just kind of shocked - some reviewer said it was about Iraq, and now everyone who doesn't have the album thinks Jason is going political. It's just kind of ridiculous.
Yeah, it's just human nature to be curious and speculate on what the writer had in mind I guess... Maybe it's a desire for closeness and familiarity with the artist? Both 'fans' and media can tend to be quite gossip hungry and crave details. I don't think it's malicious, I think it's some sort of obsessiveness born out of admiration (and sometimes out of envy). Most people will end up projecting their own emotions and thoughts onto it anyway (even if they were told exactly what it's about).
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Right. I just can't think of George Bush as a sweet talker. He is a moron. More likely this is about Sonic Boom or one of Spaceman's friends that he somehow got into a war with. I like the song much better when I think of it as documenting the war between Boom and Spaceman, I've heard Sonic Boom is an amazing driver.
poppy
Known user

Post by poppy »

Opinions are like assholes, so I'll bare mine: 'Lord Give Jason Back His Creativity' (hmmm, a possible facebook group for disgruntled spz fans)

A&E is a great album...for people who are into Damian Rice. I think those who are into more Velvets, MC5, Suicide, Kraftwerk, & Sun-Ra inspired material now know for certain that the immense amount of creativity Jason had up until reaching his 30s won't return. Bloody dissappointing! But I've got my bets staked on the forthcoming Spectrum record. When Pete finally gets it wrapped up I think you'll find it to be the return to form that many have hoped for from either Jason or Sonic. From what I've heard, it's the kind of record that I've wished one of them would make for over a decade now!

I genuinely wanted Songs In A&E to be as spectacular as its title. But it's the bucketloads of creativity, originality, and passion that make the Spacemen and early Spiritualized stuff classics and this record doesn't have that. Beyond the initial listen, why would you stick on any of these limp 'rockers' when you could stick on the Spacemen doing 'Starship'? If you sing the Walking With Jesus lyrics to Baby I'm Just A Fool, you'll find that even the number of lines per verse fits perfectly over top. As to the 'creativity' of the Harmony tracks, everyone seems to agree they're a pointless flop.

But at least there don't seem to be many 'Lord' references on this record....higher powers are fine and all that, but I ended up going home from an acoustic mainlines show feeling like I'd just attended a Christian singer-songwriter gig. Far different to the spine shattering explosions of lights and tremeloes I experienced in a stadium while catching spz touring LGM. And it's not like I'm someone who's against artists tryng new things (that said, I think McCartney should have been shot before forming Wings and I wish Bowie would have died in a car crash in '85 rather than pissing on his own legacy for twenty odd years).
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Huh? The guy has put out how many amazing albums? There are 31 CDs listed in the discography. Ok, some of these are repeats, but come on. The guy put out 31 CDs and there are people that wish it sounded like a B-Side from 20 years ago??

I don't really understand the last post. There are people who wish this album sounded more like the Spacemen 3, yet at the same time are complaining that some of the tracks sound too much like Spacemen 3?

I love the Harmony Tracks. I really liked how Lazer Guided sounded like a whole album, not a collection of singles. This record is fun to listen to all the way through, I like the harmony tracks. They make me feel like I'm in the production room, kind of like, "Joy Division, Martin Hannett's Personal Mixes" but better because they are only a few seconds long. I imagine myself watching Jason noodling on a piano in his echo chamber while sitting at his piano which is in a sandbox in his personal cave/echo chamber. A little 20 second glimpse into what a Spiritualized practice sounds like? Or sort of like the interludes in an audio book. They are so short, I really don't see how someone could hate the harmony tracks, but to each his/her own.

I also don't get people who think, "this isn't going to broaden the Spiritualized fan base." Has Spiritualized ever been about getting more fans? They've always done quite well, maintaining a cult status and selling out the biggest venues in the world. I highly doubt Jason wrote any of these songs thinking, "this is going to attract thousands of new teenagers."
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

poppy wrote:(that said, I think McCartney should have been shot before forming Wings and I wish Bowie would have died in a car crash in '85 rather than pissing on his own legacy for twenty odd years).
that's fierce. poppy, do you like LICD and Amazing Grace?
me? i'm much more sympathetic to the new album (and Amazing Grace as well, just for the record) and find just as much excitement, accuracy and fun in Spiritualized's modern guise as i do in those of Pure Phase and LGM.
i find that the foundations (the influences, references/thefts, the nods and winks) remain as powerful as they did even in the spacemen 3 days but that the tools now used have changed to enable the pictures to be painted that bit more brightly (and by default, darker) and that it's a win-win: it's 15 or so years since LGM and Pure Phase and if the records were still drenched in that approach it'd be a sorry state of affairs. instead what we get (though we don't get enough of it - we need an ep or lp of only the rockers as the Amazing Grace and A&E and Walking On Thin Ice electric guitars are an(other) evolution in rock n' roll) for me is kind of more of the same, only different. i think he has mastered the tools that delivered both LICD and Amazing Grace - the strings and horns all seem much more melifluous and natural while the melodies have blossomed beautifully. and i am glad the lord has vanished too as "i've run out of bullets again" is far cooler than "lord let it rain on".

but i do admit doubts over the record and it has maybe forced me into re-evalutating my listening (i don't think i've encountered an album as initially overwhelming - but i can't be sure so of course this leads to the question of why and whether i am myself to blame for that which will only be resolved by a complete character reassesment by listening to my entire record collection over again!). it's been shackled by so much baggage and i can't help add to it - but when i do experience the album (though that can only truly come when the cd arrives and the sound is pristine and the fact i am anxious and excited over that shows how enthral i am to the record) without encumbrance i am left awed by the vast majority of it (i tend to flick back halfway thru goodnight, goodnight though - silent night and union chapel have claimed hold of it and for me it's really the only song guilty of not doing anything extraordinary; yes extraordinary, even I Gotta Fire, those guitars man!). i do even enjoy the harmony sections(!)
i've said this elsewhere but if you give him the benefit of the doubt jasons music will reward your patience. there's an awful lot of joy to be had with songs in a&e i've found already and i have full confidence it'll provide a share to stand comfortably alongside it's elder siblings. it'll sound incredible in full technicolour. it could be special.

as far as broadening the spz fanbase, on the strength of acoustic mainlines and the single i thought there would be an influx but the album isn't as as accessible as i thought it would be (lyrically and vocally more than anything else which is maybe where some dissent arises). there was a comment that someone made they wouldn't have became a fan on the basis of this record and i think that'll be the case for the majority who seek it out afresh. but those who do jump on board via this album will have deserved to, i think.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

poppy wrote:Opinions are like assholes, so I'll bare mine: 'Lord Give Jason Back His Creativity' (hmmm, a possible facebook group for disgruntled spz fans)
Bloody dissappointing!
Amen. Hallelujah. Testify.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
bcastle21
Known user

Post by bcastle21 »

if you want your songs shrouded in effects and feedback, go listen to BRMC or Black Angels.

This album is insanely creative in it's own way and I have no problem with one of my favorite artists maturing. Like all Spiritualized albums, it is not for all.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

AMEN.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I just can't believe how some of you guys are so easily slagging off this album. It's a lose-lose situation for Pierce. If it sounded like LGM, you'd dis him for repeating himself, but since this one is totally different you're complaining that it's not like the old, "classic" Spiritualized you saw live back in '92. Weak.
bcastle21
Known user

Post by bcastle21 »

just do what you did back in '92...drink a couple whiskey's and smoke a joint.

you might surprise yourself.
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

The more I listen to this the more I'm getting out of it. The songs are strong, the production fantastic (I'm so looking forward to the cd / vinyl releases) and the songs will no doubt mutate as they are played live. Now that I'm really looking forward to.

I also think the experimentation Spz are famous for is on this record. Listen to the perfect pop of Soul on Fire. There is SO much going on. Couldn't Sweet Talk sit alongside The Slide Song?

I'm loving this stuff.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

poppy wrote:Opinions are like assholes, so I'll bare mine: 'Lord Give Jason Back His Creativity' (hmmm, a possible facebook group for disgruntled spz fans)

A&E is a great album...for people who are into Damian Rice. I think those who are into more Velvets, MC5, Suicide, Kraftwerk, & Sun-Ra inspired material now know for certain that the immense amount of creativity Jason had up until reaching his 30s won't return. Bloody dissappointing! But I've got my bets staked on the forthcoming Spectrum record. When Pete finally gets it wrapped up I think you'll find it to be the return to form that many have hoped for from either Jason or Sonic. From what I've heard, it's the kind of record that I've wished one of them would make for over a decade now!

I genuinely wanted Songs In A&E to be as spectacular as its title. But it's the bucketloads of creativity, originality, and passion that make the Spacemen and early Spiritualized stuff classics and this record doesn't have that. Beyond the initial listen, why would you stick on any of these limp 'rockers' when you could stick on the Spacemen doing 'Starship'? If you sing the Walking With Jesus lyrics to Baby I'm Just A Fool, you'll find that even the number of lines per verse fits perfectly over top. As to the 'creativity' of the Harmony tracks, everyone seems to agree they're a pointless flop.

But at least there don't seem to be many 'Lord' references on this record....higher powers are fine and all that, but I ended up going home from an acoustic mainlines show feeling like I'd just attended a Christian singer-songwriter gig. Far different to the spine shattering explosions of lights and tremeloes I experienced in a stadium while catching spz touring LGM. And it's not like I'm someone who's against artists tryng new things (that said, I think McCartney should have been shot before forming Wings and I wish Bowie would have died in a car crash in '85 rather than pissing on his own legacy for twenty odd years).
Damian Rice... :lol: I understand the point you're making, but come on! That's just trying to be offensive for no good reason.
TheWarmth wrote:I just can't believe how some of you guys are so easily slagging off this album. It's a lose-lose situation for Pierce. If it sounded like LGM, you'd dis him for repeating himself, but since this one is totally different you're complaining that it's not like the old, "classic" Spiritualized you saw live back in '92. Weak.

It's unavoidable isn't it? There are always going to be that type of fan... that has become addicted to 'psychedelic drone' music. It is after all like a drug or a translike, hypnotic experience. I like it myself....It's a way to get high, to get your kicks and some people are going to feel ripped off that Jason is not repeatedly supplying the same type of fix (although I'd argue all of that is still in there in a more sophisticated form). Some fans will want the exact same type of record and have the same experience over and over again. Personally I don't think that's fair to an artist who might want to try different things. I don't think a musician owes their fans to get them out of their head- their obligation is to follow where their musical inspiration takes them. If this is not getting people outta their heads the way some earlier records did, then I'd suggest putting those records on again, like Sun- Ra, Velvets, Sonic or whatever else was mentioned or seek out new bands who are still covering the same ground. There are plenty of them around...

Relationships end, even with bands...sometimes old fans need to move on.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

bcastle21 wrote:if you want your songs shrouded in effects and feedback, go listen to BRMC or Black Angels.

This album is insanely creative in it's own way and I have no problem with one of my favorite artists maturing. Like all Spiritualized albums, it is not for all.
BRMC?! Now that's just insulting. :wink: Personally i haven't expected an LGM type sound since LAGWAFIS, and nor do i hanker after that either. I'm all for an artist maturing but to my ears this is just the same as the previous two albums but with different production and embellishments. I really don't hear much progression and it sounds to me like he's creatively "treading water".

Yes you're right when you say Spiritualized albums aren't for all, so while some of us here are baffled by the high praise so the rest of you must accept the dissenting posts too. I do wonder if this album had appeared two or three years after AG would the praise be so high as i think people are just delighted to have a new album after a long five year wait.

Oh, and back in '92 i was listening stone cold straight and sober as i think the idea you have to be on some kind of buzz to enjoy the music is a cop-out,it's either good or it isn't. I say this as someone who has always, and still does, enjoy a good mind-altering session. :)

I shall still be buying cd/vinyl and going to the gigs. I'm not done with Spiritualized yet.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

sunray wrote: Personally i haven't expected an LGM type sound since LAGWAFIS, and nor do i hanker after that either. I'm all for an artist maturing but to my ears this is just the same as the previous two albums but with different production and embellishments. I really don't hear much progression and it sounds to me like he's creatively "treading water".
Yes you're right when you say Spiritualized albums aren't for all, so while some of us here are baffled by the high praise so the rest of you must accept the dissenting posts too. I do wonder if this album had appeared two or three years after AG would the praise be so high as i think people are just delighted to have a new album after a long five year wait.

:D Obviously people can dissent!!! Opinion is good. Discussion is good.
And I think you make some valid points. I would however disagree with your idea of progression. I think that progress often happens over the course of several albums, not just the one. So changes don't need to be like huge u-turns in order for them to be there and to be perceptive. I don't agree that this is treading water, I think there's definitively movement. The song writing is a lot tighter, style is different too and more varied, the vocal phrasing is developing, you mentioned the production yourself, the mixing of the strings is completely different to what he normally does, drums also, blah, blah, blah... I could sit here and write a point by point list (and I might eventually). But yeah, of course it's healthy that people have different opinions and some don't like it. Now and again though (and I am not refering to you) people do want just a repeat experience and I find that quite selfish. But I suppose being selfish is what being a fan is all about...
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

For what it's worth, I've totally changed my opinion of the record.

I was a bit underwhelmed on first listen, but I've played it again and it all made so much more sense.

I was close to tears by the time it finished.
thinline
Known user

Post by thinline »

I love it! Its the first time I've ever come home from work and found my girlfriend has raided my cd's for a Spiritualized album and she's got it on so loud I think my ears are guna bleed! Hayley doesn't even like Spritualized but she loves this album. She says it feels refreshing compared to the shit she keeps hearing at the moment...One Night Only anyone? :lol: she even made me stick it on her ipod! :D
The harmony tracks are fantastic imo...one of them is a snippet from Silent Sound, did anyone notice? The piano one...I thinks its harmony 2. And the last harmony track is 'All Things Bright And Beautiful' I think...sums up this album I think...it feels so upbeat...but I wonder what happened to song played at Union Chapel. 'Eyes That Are Blind'? It had three chords (D/A/G) and it was great...I hope this materialises at some point...
All in all I think it's brilliant from start to finish, and I do listen to all in one go if I have the time to do so...it just all fits together so perfectly...roll on release so I can buy a couple of copies of this...
Hey man there's a hole in my reason that I gotta close...
wicker man
New user

Post by wicker man »

i really dont understand negative reactions here, i listened the album whole day.

its brilliant.

i love the way his voice getting old - like neil young.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

i love the album too. even the songs i was lukewarm about at first i've begun to warm up to. i'm impressed by how they were able to do something fresh and new with their sound- it isn't even remotely close to what i thought it would be. even the acoustic mainlines versions didn't really do that much to indicate what the album would sound like. 'baby i'm just a fool' is so beautifully constructed- talk about doing something exciting with something that's incredibly simple at the roots. i also really love the harmony tracks as well.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

The album is amazing. I just don't think you are listening loud enough!
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

dselevan2 wrote:The album is amazing. I just don't think you are listening loud enough!
best hope they remembered to print TO BE PLAYED AT MAXIMUM VOLUME somewhere on the artwork :D
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

First couple of plays I didnt wanna hear it. Too much head scratching
No I just cant stop playing it.

its beautiful
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

sunny wrote:Relationships end, even with bands...sometimes old fans need to move on.
bands, those funny little plans... that never work quite right.

i heard the Rev were hidden away in a studio over the winter. i'm really hoping their 'musical direction' has decided to take a bit of a u-turn. otherwise i guess i'm just one of those old fans who is too in love with their old sound(s) to move on with them :cry:

[edit: part of the reason why i'm mentioning this here is that every time i hear harmony 1 it makes me think of the rev... guess it's mostly the synth. anyone else think the same?]
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

it's a[nother] masterpiece.
fo' real.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
warmgun.
Known user

Post by warmgun. »

moop wrote: i heard the Rev were hidden away in a studio over the winter. i'm really hoping their 'musical direction' has decided to take a bit of a u-turn. otherwise i guess i'm just one of those old fans who is too in love with their old sound(s) to move on with them :cry:

[edit: part of the reason why i'm mentioning this here is that every time i hear harmony 1 it makes me think of the rev... guess it's mostly the synth. anyone else think the same?]
YES! Having just given the album yet another spin, I was literally just about to sign on to post this very same thing... In fact, most, if not all of the Harmony tracks bring to mind Desserter's Songs era Rev... Which is kind of funny as when that album came out I kept reading reviews about how it was their Ladies and Gentlement We Are Floating In Space... which is what caused me to pick it up in the first place. I could never see the connection on purely a musical level, but can definitely see why both are considered great records...

Songs In A&E also seems to share a lot of DS's more gentler yet symphonic tendencies - in fact, if it weren't for the handful of garage-y rockers, I'd say that A&E as a whole has a lot in common with that album's lullaby-esque qualities - especially The Waves Crash In, Goodnight, Goodnight, Don't Hold Me Close and Death Take Your Fiddle...

Regardless of the above, I personally think A&E is a fantastic record in it's own right and think that it's the best thing he's done since LAGWAFIS! Definitely deserves lots of recognition!

I can't wait to get the official release.

ps - although I do have a soft spot for The Secret Migration, I too would welcome a bit of a left turn from Jon, Grasshopper et al....
feetsies
Known user

Post by feetsies »

Sounds to me like J is evolving and growing to the point of alienating others.. the harmony parts are avante garde and his exploration into this realm has been quite obvious in the past few years. Not sure what people were expecting. It's a shame that people want repetition, recycling and rehashing of the past instead of just being in the moment and appreciating what has been given. Given the free jazz, D Johnston and Beefheart influences, I think he's going to go into directions people are going to be disgusted with and I will thoroughly enjoy. =o>
I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.
-D. H. Lawrence
Meo
Known user

Post by Meo »

I like it, not as good as hot shots II, or worn to a shadow x
a beautiful shonn
Known user

Post by a beautiful shonn »

feetsies wrote:Sounds to me like J is evolving and growing to the point of alienating others.. the harmony parts are avante garde and his exploration into this realm has been quite obvious in the past few years. Not sure what people were expecting. It's a shame that people want repetition, recycling and rehashing of the past instead of just being in the moment and appreciating what has been given. Given the free jazz, D Johnston and Beefheart influences, I think he's going to go into directions people are going to be disgusted with and I will thoroughly enjoy. =o>

exactly. i say keep it coming.

me.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Ha. If playing it loud didn't work, maybe you need a hard drug induced test drive?
I'm jealous.
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

"J is evolving and growing to the point of alienating others.. the harmony parts are avante garde and his exploration into this realm has been quite obvious in the past few years. Not sure what people were expecting. It's a shame that people want repetition, recycling and rehashing of the past instead of just being in the moment and appreciating what has been given. Given the free jazz, D Johnston and Beefheart influences, I think he's going to go into directions people are going to be disgusted with and I will thoroughly enjoy."

While I appreciate the sentiment of this post, I gotta say that it doesn't really jibe with the album I'm hearing. I guess the harmony parts could be avant garde, but no more so than the "filler" tracks or skronky horn songs on the previous albums.

In fact, this is probably the least challenging of any Spiritualized album. My wife, who normally can't sit through a SPZ album without wanting me to skip through the difficult parts, liked this one all the way through.

And for people that want repetition, recycling and rehashing, they could do a lot worse than Spiritualized. Pick on of 3 or 4 lyrical themes, sing the song to Baby or Jesus, and make it fast and rocking or slower and pretty. Spiritualized does not evolve very much and you pretty much know what to expect.

Don't get me wrong, I love this album quite a bit. But Spiritualized at this point seems to be about the embellishments and the small changes that J brings to the formula.
feetsies
Known user

Post by feetsies »

You should make your wife sit all the way thru Guitar Loops now, :wink:

Anyway, that's why I prefaced it with "Sounds to me like.." For the record, I haven't heard much of the album except for three songs that were posted on some blog I read. I was responding to all the disappointed fans stating they want him to go back to the way it used to be.
Phased Out
Known user

Post by Phased Out »

poppy wrote:But I've got my bets staked on the forthcoming Spectrum record. When Pete finally gets it wrapped up I think you'll find it to be the return to form that many have hoped for from either Jason or Sonic. From what I've heard, it's the kind of record that I've wished one of them would make for over a decade now!
If Sonic ever writes anything worth more than a second listen again i'll eat my straw hat. the bloke went so far up his own backside he's still looking for the way out

file under : washed up
feetsies
Known user

Post by feetsies »

IS what Pete does "skronky filler" ?? :D
I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.
-D. H. Lawrence
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

LOL

I've never even tried playing ten seconds of guitar loops around The Wife. I don't think it would last that long before she turned it off.

Yeah, the fans hoping for another LGM strike me as being a bit odd. Since so much of what Spiritualized does is about production and atmospherics, if they recorded another album like that it would be a total retread.

I really hope Sonic pulls it together and releases another great album, but I'm not expecting it.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

flamingrev wrote:
Yeah, the fans hoping for another LGM strike me as being a bit odd. Since so much of what Spiritualized does is about production and atmospherics, if they recorded another album like that it would be a total retread.
I'm not sure fans are hoping for another LGM(if they are that ain't gonna happen). And I dont think Jason will ever explore that area again. Artists evolve. And either you going along for the ride or hop off when you want. I am one who didn't love the previous two studio records. But I took them in the car a few weeks ago and really got into AG for maybe the first time. I really enjoyed it.

And I will always give Jason the benefit of a purchase. Always.

Hell, I cant stop playing the AM Boston & last London shows. Those are absolutely incredible.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

I personally can't relate to those who prefer the lyrics on LGM. I can't get passed the first song without thinking of Milli Vanilli, Girl You Know It's True. I do miss their first two bass players. Than again, Soul on Fire reminds me of Me and Bobby McGee, "Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose"
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

dselevan2 wrote:I personally can't relate to those who prefer the lyrics on LGM. I can't get passed the first song without thinking of Milli Vanilli, Girl You Know It's True.
:shock:
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

For the record, The Millie Vanilli comment was my way of agreeing with spzretent on this topic. This record is an evolution for Spaceman, and I'm glad to be along for the ride. Don't take it as a knock on LGM!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

bizarre comparison I must say.
I have always been one who was hooked by the music and not by the lyrics.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

I prefer the lyrics on the album, although I was into the whole drug theme as a kid. For those who think there is no evolution from Lazer Guided Melodies:
You know it's true:You know it's true, I love you I love you,
Girl You Know it's true:Girl, you know it's true.Ooh, Ooh, Ooh I love you.
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

Let It Come Down has the sharpest Spaceman lyrics, followed closely by Ladies & Gents.
noOne
Known user

Post by noOne »

flamingrev wrote:Let It Come Down has the sharpest Spaceman lyrics, followed closely by Ladies & Gents.
i agree 100%
Lord Please Fuck My Mind For Good
t0kdag0n
Known user

Post by t0kdag0n »

So far I'm enjoying this record. I really love the Harmony tracks a lot, esp. the opener. I also can't get Sweet Talk and Borrowed Your Gun out of my head. Looking forward to having this record work it's hooks into me.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

I've never really paid much attention to the lyrics of Spiritualized, or Spacemen 3 for that matter.

You want poetry you ought to read a book.
bcastle21
Known user

Post by bcastle21 »

or listen to music.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

bcastle21 wrote:or listen to music.
Fans of Earthless, Neu!, Cosmic Jokers, Harmony Rockets, Ozric Tentacles, Acid Mothers Temple (etc. etc.) might not agree. Nor would I actually.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

or Boredoms, Bloemfontein.....
noOne
Known user

Post by noOne »

runaway wrote:I've never really paid much attention to the lyrics of Spiritualized, or Spacemen 3 for that matter.

You want poetry you ought to read a book.
i don't necessarily want "poetry", just some lyrics to keep me
a bit more interested some times. i won't say that lyrics
don't matter to me all. it just depends on what im listening
to. if im listening to someone like Immortal Technique, the lyrics
are definitely the most important element.

i wouldn't go so far as to say Spiritualized' lyrics are poetic,
but Jane's Addiction's lyrics were without a doubt poetry
laid to music.
Lord Please Fuck My Mind For Good
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

janes addiction?
ok. Well I spent more on bourbon tonight than a and e on green vinyl and my only regret is that it hasnt arrived yet. Spaceman has always made poetry to my withered ears.
noOne
Known user

Post by noOne »

dselevan2 wrote:janes addiction?
ok. Well I spent more on bourbon tonight than a and e on green vinyl and my only regret is that it hasnt arrived yet. Spaceman has always made poetry to my withered ears.
yes, Jane's Addiction.
poetry to music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpCCfazKxzk

- Three Days -

Three days was the morning.
My focus three days old.
My head, it landed to the sounds of cricket bows...
I am proud man anyway...
Covered now by three days...
Three ways was the morning.
Three lovers, in three ways.
We knew when she landed, three days she'd stay.
I am a proud man anyway...
Covered now by three days...
We saw shadows of the morning light
the shadows of the evening sun
till the shadows and the light were one.
Shadows of the morning light
the shadows of the evening sun
till the shadows and the light were one...
True hunting is over.
No herds to follow.
Without game, men prey on each other.
The family weakens by the bite we swallow...
True leaders gone, of land and people.
We choose no kin but adopted strangers.
The family weakens by the length we travel...
All of us with wings...
All of us with wings...
All of us with wings!
All of us with wings!
All of us with wings!
All of us with wings!
Erotic Jesus lays with his Marys.
Loves his Marys.
Bits of puzzle, fitting each other.
All now with wings!
'Oh my Marys! Never wonder... Night is shelter for nudity's shiver...'
All now with wings...