Radio play tonight, March 17th

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

spazed99
Known user

Radio play tonight, March 17th

Post by spazed99 »

Following its radio debut on the Zane Lowe show on Radio 1 from 7pm this evening there will be consecutive plays on BBC 6Music's Tom Robinson show and XFM's Music Response show

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/zanelowe/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/shows/tom_robinson/

http://www.xfm.co.uk/onair/shows/the-break-in
radioshack
Known user

Re: Radio play tonight, March 17th

Post by radioshack »

Sitting through the very annoying Zane Lowe show just to hear one song really sucks.
LUFC_SPACEMAN
Known user

Post by LUFC_SPACEMAN »

i was quite enjoying it up until guns'n'roses!
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

to be fair it's been ok, though I can't listen to Zane Lowe's voice without being reminded of that Adam and Joe parody of him.

Public Enemy sounded really great coming out of the radio, wasn't expecting that at all.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

Is anyone recording this? I'm not at home tonight... :(
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
LUFC_SPACEMAN
Known user

Post by LUFC_SPACEMAN »

i tried to record it via sky but i'm a retard
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

Don't the BBC have a Player system thingy online where you can listen to the show after it's happened? The songs gona be played on BBC6 a lot, surely one the shows playing the song will be archived.

At least you can fast forward straight to the song rather than sit through all this mehness.
LUFC_SPACEMAN
Known user

Post by LUFC_SPACEMAN »

oh yeh forgot bout that, can you listen to the show for a week or something.
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

LUFC_SPACEMAN wrote:oh yeh forgot bout that, can you listen to the show for a week or something.
Yeah, think it's a week they stay up for. Then because we're sitting listening to this we can tell exactly where in the Zane show from Monday they played the song.

God, this better be worth it!
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

its on now
Zenchan
Known user

Post by Zenchan »

:D
LUFC_SPACEMAN
Known user

Post by LUFC_SPACEMAN »

fuck me.

(homer-like gargle)

that was awwwesome
bcastle21
Known user

Post by bcastle21 »

wow....very impressed.

horns and electric guitar! woo hoo!

bring on the new album!
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

Like Lord Let It Rain On Me spliced with Going Down Slow, only much better!

I need to hear this album, really looking forward to it now!
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

that was good fun. kinda like what LICD should have been. i like LICD but the fusion of sounds, and i don't mean this to sound as if i felt it was 'dated' or a retread, was was much more natural (vague i know but bloody hell it's not right going further or even this bloody far after one listen, i guess i'm excited, though it was fun). the waling on thin ice remake is in there too, to bring more doubts about the freshness of it perhaps. it was fun though. yea, it's too far gone for even remembering too much now cause cee lo is screaming out... yeah.

the best way to describe it: it was worth waiting through the 30-odd minutes of zane lowe for.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

An Oasis type terrace sing-a-long anyone? :lol: Better than i was expecting i have to say.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
gersey
Known user

Post by gersey »

Can someone post up a link or something where u can listen to the song? I missed it cos my crusty computer goes mental any time i try to play something on d bbc site. I need to hear this.
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

Edit - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=951G9OFK
I missed the first third of a second or so.....
Last edited by Jebus Sabes on Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gersey
Known user

Post by gersey »

I heard the soul on fire song on the Spz acoustic mainlines show in boston, its probably the 'catchiest' song theyve ever put out. Do ye think its gonna get loads of normal daytime radio play? It'l probably be the highest chart position for a spz song. Or is the guitar/horn squall too radio unfriendly? God i want to hear it
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radio1_a ... adio1/zane

I think that this link should let you listen to the show again - the song starts about 1 hour 5/10mins in (I think)
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I can't deal with 'Howling Mad' Lowe but I was more than pleasantly surpised when I heard it on Tom Robinson's show halfway through making dinner after a long monday... sounded great to hear the singers like the AM gigs. Big fuck off chorus too! 8)

He played Miles' 'Black Satin' a bit later, then some Lee Hazlewood...great selection!
O P 8
ryansocash
Known user

Post by ryansocash »

Once again they have shocked me. I had a very clear idea about how that song would sound recorded but it was not at all how I expected it to be. This song has all the emotional glory of the older Spiritualized recordings but with the dryness of AG. I am very impressed.. Now I'm really ready for the new record.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Jesus, this is fucking great.
warmgun.
Known user

Post by warmgun. »

...it's Far-reaching and Epic stuff... :D

The feedback-y parts bring to mind the noisy bits of Let It Flow, well a little.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Amazing
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

Jebus Sabes wrote:Edit - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=951G9OFK
Yay! Thanks!!! (Hope you don't mind me sending this link to other fans?)

And yep, it's great... love the vocal, and everything... movement, it's rich and not too slick. Fucking great.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

Firstly, thanks Jebus Sabes for providing this.

Secondly this is the bravest 4mins of music I've heard from JP/SPZ. It sounds like so many other songs that have touched on something but never quite made it; sunray you mentioned a terrace anthem in an Oasis style, I now say Train' - "Drops of Jupiter". There's also a hint of "Church on Sunday, Work on Monday" in the delivery of the opening verse. Can anyone help out as to who recently (last 10years) sang these words?

Anyway, all in all it's instant and yes it may not be everlasting, it may disapear as quickly as it comes in but for just that moment and for those 4mins, c'mon.
Friends, this must become number 1 if for no other reason than the Charts, our Charts are reclaimed.
Purely from the tone i've come to see again that this song is about redemption it's about saving another by offering your all very much in the vein of Hold On. Our world needs this music more than anything else it has at its current disposal.

Who'll join me in putting these words and sentiments firmly where I believe they should be?
If you usually buy 1 copy of the single buy 2 or buy as many as you see fit...if you download do it legally (i.e. so that it's recorded by whoever records the chart sales)...don't you see it's as much about offering thanks for this music as about spreading the word.

Great wonderful stuff.
Shoulders back, smash it
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

as tempting as that megaupload link is....i'm not listening!
gonna wait for the album instead :shock:
interesting comments from people though. did anyone *dislike* it?
estee
Known user

Post by estee »

what a beautiful track, i cant wait for the 26th may !
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Stunning and absolutely gorgeous song.

I've hammered it to death already in the last few hours and it's making the hairs on my neck stand on end. Hands in the air, life-affirming music.

I haven't been this excited about a Spiritualized release in a long time. I feel like a teenager again!

Elektronik matey, I love your passion for this song and I share it. I'll be buying two copies of it - and giving the other to someone special - who I think about while the song plays.
Last edited by Fuzzhead on Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

eleKtroniK:musiK wrote:[...

Secondly this is the bravest 4mins of music I've heard from JP/SPZ. It sounds like so many other songs that have touched on something but never quite made it; sunray you mentioned a terrace anthem in an Oasis style, I now say Train' - "Drops of Jupiter"...

:shock: Drops of Jupiter always sounds like a Ronan Keating song to me
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Fuzzhead wrote:I'll be buying two copies of it - and giving the other to someone special - who I think about while the song plays.
See, that's it going full-circle...brilliant Fuzzy...made up for you. Extend the hand people...extend the hand.

I'm going to set aside money (spazed, a rough RRP, please?) and hand copies out to people.
jesus son wrote: :shock: Drops of Jupiter always sounds like a Ronan Keating song to me
Fair enough. It was more something I picked up on in the sweeping strings. Permit me to pick a verse and part of the chorus/bridge
Drops of Jupiter wrote: Now that she's back in the atmosphere
With drops of Jupiter in her hair, hey, hey
She acts like summer and walks like rain
Reminds me that there's time to change, hey, hey
Since the return from her stay on the moon
She listens like spring and she talks like June, hey, hey

Tell me did the wind sweep you off your feet
Did you finally get the chance to dance along the light of day
And head back toward the Milky Way
In all honesty I've never myself taken the time to explore the lyrics of that song until today. Still not entirely sure what it's all about...I've got a feeling it's an attempted suicide or something.
If only we'd all accept what's in our hearts and stop searching barren paths*

*a note as much to myself as everyone
Shoulders back, smash it
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

I stuck it on repeat when I went to bed and it was on all night. I think it's genius. The first great pop song I've heard in a very, very long time, perhaps even decades. That in itself makes it subversive... :D :D :D
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Like sex and drugs and rock and roll....

...it's very good indeed!

Even this tinny radio rip sounds majestic - can't wait for the proper version - please let there be a vinyl release!!
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

cheers mate, Heard it on my shitty little radio in the kitchen last night and I wasnt too impressed. but on the headphones today its amazing. Love the feedback bits, I cant wait to hear it live. Its going to be a bit demented with the boy Doggen making it really dirty
dropout digital1
New user

Post by dropout digital1 »

Heard the single a couple of times now and it was not for me.. i will always love spiritualized and the first three albums and of course spacemen 3, and even though i´m not into jasons new stuff, i still consider him one of the greatest musicians/composers out there, but his sound these days is just to clean cut and radio ready for my taste... and i actually agree with sunray who compared it to an oasis (..the horror) type kind of sing along song.. still gonna check out the album out though and death take your fiddle is one hell of a song... but for now i guess i´ll just put on a great spacemen 3 song i re-discovered-We Sell Soul...fuck that´s a great track...
thinline
Known user

Post by thinline »

I duno what it is about this track...I've played it over and over and I can't stop smiling, you know? I think this song sums up that little '+' at the end of the name.... :D
It feels so upbeat and happy. When it was played on the acoustic mainlines tour you kinda knew it would be a big tune but I didn't expect it to be THIS big.
Well done J Spaceman!! Roll out the album....NNNOOOOOOOOWWWWW!!!!!! :lol:
Hey man there's a hole in my reason that I gotta close...
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

wow, could you people make it any more tempting for me to cave in and listen to the song?
dropout digital1 wrote:but for now i guess i´ll just put on a great spacemen 3 song i re-discovered-We Sell Soul...fuck that´s a great track...
yes indeed. but is it a 'cover' or a 'heavily influenced' track? that's the question.
because apparently if it's a cover it can't be one of their greatest tracks. :roll:
LunarTunes
Known user

Post by LunarTunes »

I've loved this song since I first heard it on one of the recordings of the Acoustic Mainlines tour. I loved it even more when I got to experience it live at the Toronto show. And now? Good God, what a great track! When I first heard it, I though that it had great potential to be a hit. I never seem to get that right, nor do I care about hits at all, but if there is any justice in the world of music today, this song will be massive. It's gorgeous and epic like everyone says and best of all, it's Jason doing pop Spiritualized-style and daring the masses to hear it his way, not the other way 'round. And my two-year old loves it! He sings along to the chorus with me so that's gotta be another sign. Of course, he also requests The Flaming Lips, The Jesus And Mary Chain and Mouse On Mars so maybe he's not the best indicator of hits potential :lol: ...

Any chance of getting the song streaming on the official site before mp3 conversions of low-bitrate webstream captures become the way most people hear it for the first time?...

Peace.
dropout digital1
New user

moop wrote:wow, could you people make it any more tempting for me to cave in and listen to the song?
dropout digital1 wrote:but for now i guess i´ll just put on a great spacemen 3 song i re-discovered-We Sell Soul...fuck that´s a great track...
yes indeed. but is it a 'cover' or a 'heavily influenced' track? that's the question.
because apparently if it's a cover it can't be one of their greatest tracks. :roll:
I didn´t say "greatest" i said "great", and a track can be great, even if it´s heavily influenced or a cover, spiritualized have already made many tracks like that. But your comment is only valid if i said "greatest" and i didn´t, so why even comment.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

dropout digital1 wrote:
moop wrote:wow, could you people make it any more tempting for me to cave in and listen to the song?
I didn´t say "greatest" i said "great", and a track can be great, even if it´s heavily influenced or a cover, spiritualized have already made many tracks like that. But your comment is only valid if i said "greatest" and i didn´t, so why even comment.
haha, sorry. was only a joke...i was referring to a thread in the spacemen 3 bit of the forum..
http://ideensynthese.de/spiritualized/v ... f=4&t=6657
(and for the record, i agree with you. hence my rolling-eyes smiley. damn ambiguous smilies!)
dropout digital1
New user

because apparently if it's a cover it can't be one of their greatest tracks. :roll:[/quote]

I didn´t say "greatest" i said "great", and a track can be great, even if it´s heavily influenced or a cover, spiritualized have already made many tracks like that. But your comment is only valid if i said "greatest" and i didn´t, so why even comment.[/quote]

haha, sorry. was only a joke...i was referring to a thread in the spacemen 3 bit of the forum..
http://ideensynthese.de/spiritualized/v ... f=4&t=6657
(and for the record, i agree with you. hence my rolling-eyes smiley. damn ambiguous smilies!)[/quote]

He he..ok..i hadn´t read that thread...guess i need to catch up on those smilies :D
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

yuck. those strings are way too much - to me they render the chorus embarrassing. i thought i was listening to an ashcroft solo record. very bland. i do like the electric guitar bits.

in all fairness i never liked that song on the acoustic mainlines tapes either so i'm not surprised.
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

LOL I guess you can't please everyone. I love it. I'm such a sucker for Spiritualized, there's such a long gap between records you kinda drift into other sounds, then the new record comes out and your right back in there.
As ever this track is familiar and new in equal measures, which is probably why I still keep coming back to Spiritualized, like going back to your mom's house at Christmas LOL

Roll on the Cambridge and London gigs...
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eat-lights-Become-lights/225847625393
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

That song...its just sounds like victory! Simple as. I can imagine playing that after a heavy night and feeling the pain dissolve to nothing which of course is exactly what it should do.

Forget Oa*is...that's what they think they sound like. Its more like The Blue Album by way of Phil Spector and Sam Cooke...that big, that good, that powerful.

'Mon the Spiritualized+!

Now where's 'Baby...?'

Pity the fools who texted/emailed Tom Robinson to say "Jason's lost it" - wow, i've never heard that line before and certainly not before every fucking new album release ever!

But again, awesome to hear that last night, the full-on buzzing thing listening to it, spring is here again, amen

X
O P 8
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Bza, amen Bro.

Spiritualized are back.
cockachumpee
Known user

Post by cockachumpee »

Thanks jesus_sabes for the radio rip.

just listened for the first time. On the train, with the sun rising over the pacific ocean to my right. I don't think I could have picked a better time if I had tried. Can't wait for the album.

Curious to know what the dj was about to recommend at the end?
Vindaloo
Known user

Post by Vindaloo »

Happy Days! :D

Just found a complete and slightly less-compressed rip from the same radio show here:

http://www.savefile.com/files/1447713

It's still had the dynamics squished to heck - damn you FM radio! Cant wait for the record to come out - promises to be fantastic.
ThiefofFire
Known user

Post by ThiefofFire »

Thanks vindaloo and jebus-sabes...

I absolutely love this track. I hope it gets on the radio here in southern California, 'Do It All Over Again' got a few plays back in 2001-2002 but that's all I ever heard

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, maybe it's too obvious, but the line 'Freedom is just another word when you've no-one left to hurt' seems to be an homage to 'Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose' from 'Me and Bobby McGhee' as written by Kris Kristofferson and made famous by Janis Joplin... the latest clever lyrical reference from Mr. Spaceman
piglet
New user

Post by piglet »

i'd just like to say thanks to Sunny for introducing me to the music of Spiritualized, and that i thought this was a great way of bringing separate elements ( strings, choir , electric guitar , melancholy vocals, emotional lyrics ) all together . i agree with Sunny that this is great :)
( recent convert )
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

piglet wrote:i'd just like to say thanks to Sunny for introducing me to the music of Spiritualized, and that i thought this was a great way of bringing separate elements ( strings, choir , electric guitar , melancholy vocals, emotional lyrics ) all together . i agree with Sunny that this is great :)
( recent convert )
Welcome.
Shoulders back, smash it
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

I do love this song but, I think its impact has been slightly reduced by the fact Ive heard it so many times on bootlegs and at gigs (not in this form but still the same structure). It got me thinking last night. I got worried when I heard it on he radio that maybe I wasnt going to enjoy the new album as much as I'd hoped. Then it dawned on me that I just wanted that hit of new Spiritualized. something i've never heard before. I cant wait for those gigs in May. Baby i'm just a fool electric (i know what ive just written above is a total contradiction but you know what I mean), then wait a week and its the new album.
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

Best single since "Let It Flow"! :D :D :D

I was actually afraid of hearing this cos the acoustic version was pretty damn close to perfection, but holy crap, this is good.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

piglet wrote:i'd just like to say thanks to Sunny for introducing me to the music of Spiritualized, and that i thought this was a great way of bringing separate elements ( strings, choir , electric guitar , melancholy vocals, emotional lyrics ) all together . i agree with Sunny that this is great :)
( recent convert )
Haha, so you're past that 'just sounds like fridge noise' (referring to PP) stage then? 'Introducing'... more like brain washing I'd say. Maybe if you'd brought earplugs every time around mine you could have avoided it. :lol:
canucklhead07
Known user

Post by canucklhead07 »

Hmm...I want to like it but I glance at my beloved copies of Pure Phase & Laser Guided and wish Jason would produce music in that vein again but as an artist that would be taking a step backwards wouldn't it?
As a previous poster put maybe this is Jason taking on pop music on his own terms and if that's the case i'll come along for the ride.
I always thought I would buy Spiritualized albums and I did until amazing grace I ran away from that album as fast as I could it sounded thin & tired and I was not in the mood to hear another version of "electricity" (she kissed me) and I still do not own Amazing grace and this sounds better than anything I heard on Amazing Grace so i'm glad for that.
I sincerely hope this song and this album is huge for Jason, God knows the man has paid his dues.
The world would be a better place if we all got Spiritualized. :D
" I don't hate you, I just feel better when you are not around.."
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I must admit I have been driving around listening to LICD and AG and am pleasantly surprised how much I like AG. I didn't get into it all when the record came out. But I am now.
Better late than never.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

ThiefofFire wrote: ...'Freedom is just another word when you've no-one left to hurt' ...
Surely makes that song...the double pause...then the crescendo of rocket guitar filtering in and then BANG!
canucklhead07 wrote:Hmm...I want to like it but I glance at my beloved copies of Pure Phase & Laser Guided and wish Jason would produce music in that vein again but as an artist that would be taking a step backwards wouldn't it?
I see all of the motifs that have been present in every album in this song; strings, orchestration, other wordly guitar/horns and in the words there are the drug references (although the drug this time is not a self-damaging one), the highs, the hold on's, the trying's etc etc.
I mentioned earlier that this song was brave and it's brave because it must have been difficult to leave it alone. It's simplistic in words and tone and therefore instantly recogniseable in emotion.
It's similar to every other song in the sense it comprises a journey towards something; all those paths and all those downwards spirals but knowing no matter how far you fall an outsretched hand will come to rescue you. It's as much about telling someone you're going to be there as it is about being reborn. "Never should say never"
It's colossal and it could've been cut after about 3mins but they go again for another chorus.
Listen to Zane Lowe...listen to him about 3:40 into the song where he's searching for adjectives...he knows it...do you hear him say "Oooftt!!!" when the final "I've got a hurricane inside my veins and a wanna stay forever"...listen. Exactly! He's just realised it for a split second he's just got it. Hat off to him but forget the adjectives.
To me that song is a little angel on your shoulder.
Shoulders back, smash it
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

cockachumpee wrote:
Curious to know what the dj was about to recommend at the end?
He didn't recommend any other bands (as I don't think Spz are really his bag) he just waffled on about "there's loads of stuff online to check out".
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

after hearing the beautiful version live and the bootlegs i feel a bit underwealmed to be honest. lyrically its beautiful but in places there is the feel of too much as opposed to the sparesness of the live version (btw i love amazing grace)
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

The power of the internet:

Here's group 'Dirty Birthday' doing a cover of 'Soul On Fire':
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhSTOP_u7d8
nialist
New user

Post by nialist »

Hi
that's my band actually...we've been playing this live for the last 6 months. have been dying to hear the studio version, which I think is mint.
if anyone's listened to our version hope you liked it, imperfect as it is.
Zenchan
Known user

Post by Zenchan »

Out of curiousty, is there a video for Soul On Fire? Haven't seen anything pop up anywhere . . .
Zenchan
Known user

Post by Zenchan »

OK scratch that, just read the front page news!